PDA

View Full Version : Patriotism and the 7th inning stretch


the scorekeeper
04-15-2002, 10:36 AM
Now, I'm just about as patriotic as the next guy, and the rendition of God Bless America on Opening Day was pretty darn good, but can we go back to Take Me Out to the Ballgame now?

It's baseball, it's a new season, it's been seven months. I'll stand and take off my hat when Nancy plays the song, but I'm about done with singing - I do the red-white-and-blue thing for the national anthem.

At yesterday's game, I got a bunch of people in left field (section 159) to sing Ballgame with me - must have been 30 or so. It was nice, everyone seemed to like it and to wish it were being played on the organ again.

So, today and for the rest of the week, stay standing and sing that other traditional song during the 7th inning stretch. Let's see if we can't get the crowd into it and have a little fun on our own, huh?

moochpuppy
04-15-2002, 11:04 AM
It wasn't like that yesterday at the Twins game. The players took the field and then we sang God Bless America and then the National Anthem. During the 7th inning stretch we sang Take Me Out to the Ballgame and then they played Proud to be an American by Lee Greenwood on the loud speakers. The crowd loved it and everyone was singing all songs.

Kilroy
04-15-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
It wasn't like that yesterday at the Twins game. The players took the field and then we sang God Bless America and then the National Anthem. During the 7th inning stretch we sang Take Me Out to the Ballgame and then they played Proud to be an American by Lee Greenwood on the loud speakers. The crowd loved it and everyone was singing all songs.

At this point, the continued patriotic displays are simply that. Displays. They are no longer real and heartfelt as they were last year. That is not to say that we are less patriotic, just less into the public statement of it. And when it's forced, it loses all impact. People want to sing take me out to the ball game, not God Bless America. It's time to move past it.

moochpuppy
04-15-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy


At this point, the continued patriotic displays are simply that. Displays. They are no longer real and heartfelt as they were last year. That is not to say that we are less patriotic, just less into the public statement of it. And when it's forced, it loses all impact. People want to sing take me out to the ball game, not God Bless America. It's time to move past it.

I just can't see why they can't do it before the game and still sing TMOTTB during the 7th inning like they did here in Minnesota.

Konerkofan
04-15-2002, 11:14 AM
I was there for opening day and yeah, I guess they should have sang it that ONE time for the 1st game and all, but lets go back to tradition and lets sing our take me out to the ballgame song...

RichH55
04-15-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Konerkofan
I was there for opening day and yeah, I guess they should have sang it that ONE time for the 1st game and all, but lets go back to tradition and lets sing our take me out to the ballgame song...


Agreed.....The America the Beautiful seemed forced...and in my section all they could muster was humming........I don't have the words down yet....bring back the old tradition on the this one

foulkesfan11
04-15-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Konerkofan
I was there for opening day and yeah, I guess they should have sang it that ONE time for the 1st game and all, but lets go back to tradition and lets sing our take me out to the ballgame song...


Yesterday at the game, my friends and I sang take me out.... in the 7th inning too. We were in Section 145. too bad I didn't hear the other guys in the outfield.

the scorekeeper
04-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11



Yesterday at the game, my friends and I sang take me out.... in the 7th inning too. We were in Section 145. too bad I didn't hear the other guys in the outfield.

My bad, stuck at work. Let's try again tonight.