PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay is now officially the "Rays"

Hitmen77
11-08-2007, 11:47 PM
The name change is now official:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3101213

Wow, a concert to commemorate the event featuring Kevin Costner and his band. I'm jealous!

Here's the team's updated website:
http://www.raysbaseball.com (http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=tb)

oeo
11-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Their uniforms don't look as bad as they did in the sketches. Still a pretty lame name, but I like the new look.

BTW, I liked this part of the ESPN article...
"Rays" was the owner's first choice, but the organization considered others like Cannons, Stars, Wave and Dukes before settling on Rays and developing a logo featuring a bright yellow sunburst.

The Elijah Dukes? :lol:

And could they not come up with any better names? Geesh.

chisoxmike
11-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Dumb.

StillMissOzzie
11-09-2007, 01:03 AM
So they've gone from being named after some way-cool looking aquatic life to sunbeams? Lame.
Florida now has the MLB Rays and the NBA Heat, how clever they are!

SMO
:rolleyes:

Foulke You
11-09-2007, 02:01 AM
Wow, that is extremely lame! I agree with StillMissOzzie, they USED to be named after a poisonous sting ray. It wasn't a great name but at least a stingray or "Devil Ray" is something dangerous. Now they are named after a ray of sunshine?! Or maybe a ray of hope?! You have to be kidding me! The masthead of their new website looks like that of a local church!:o:

Etownsox13
11-09-2007, 02:14 AM
Kind of like what the hockey team from Orange County did a few years ago when they dropped the "mighty" from their name of Disney movie fame to just the Ducks.

doublem23
11-09-2007, 02:20 AM
Laaame.

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-4230395dt.jpg

I don't get why there's still a stingray patch on their sleeve. These jerseys suck, too. How bland. I liked the look they had last year, at least the color scheme. Not too many pro baseball teams are predominantly green, at least 1/2 of MLB teams are blue.

Frater Perdurabo
11-09-2007, 07:10 AM
"Stingrays" would have been cool.

skobabe8
11-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Laaame.

I don't get why there's still a stingray patch on their sleeve. These jerseys suck, too. How bland. I liked the look they had last year, at least the color scheme. Not too many pro baseball teams are predominantly green, at least 1/2 of MLB teams are blue.

EXACTLY! They want to focus on sunshine, meanwhile they update the devil ray on their sleeve?! This is beyond stupid. They had a nice color scheme, waay better than their first season in '98 (remember the rainbow colored unis?). How many times are they going to change color schemes? Eevry time they suck for a couple years? I cant express in words how lame this is.

And why do teams feel the need to have a fashion show???!!! And have some awful band play???!!!!

I need a drink.

Mendoza Line
11-09-2007, 09:30 AM
So in their existance they've had rainbow colored lettering and sunshine logos.. I think they must have the cheeriest design department in MLB. If only their ballpark wasn't so glum and depressing.

FedEx227
11-09-2007, 09:32 AM
Laaame.

Yeah that's the first thing that pissed me off and was a reason why I bought a green TB hat a couple of years ago. No teams these days use green. It's all blue/white/red.

Those new jerseys are boooooooooooorrring.

I think in the previous thread we likened them to something a softball team gets at a local screen-printing store, but they paid the extra $5 to get the star on the R.

eriqjaffe
11-09-2007, 09:37 AM
The wordmark that looks like it was designed in Microsoft Word. Bleh.

palehozenychicty
11-09-2007, 09:43 AM
What they really need to do is focus on getting some guys that can get people out, rather than worrying about their color scheme and name.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D:

SOXPHILE
11-09-2007, 09:49 AM
So they've gone from being named after some way-cool looking aquatic life to sunbeams? Lame.

SMO

Don't forget the Orland Magic ! :rolleyes: (Close proximity to The Magic Kingdom)

Hitmen77
11-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I think they need to invite Ray Romano and Ray Jay Johnson to throw out the first pitch on opening day. Maybe Ray Liotta too.

"Stingrays" would have been cool.
I seem to recall that they initially wanted to be called the Stingrays back when they became a franchise, but that GM owns the copyright to the name. I might be wrong about that, though.

And could they not come up with any better names? Geesh.

No kidding! I never thought "Devil Rays" was a good name, but "Rays" is just totally lame. Even some stock, generic name (Knights, Wildcats, etc.) is better than "Rays". Other MLB teams in recent decades have been able to come up with decent names (Marlins, Mariners, Diamondbacks, Nationals), why not this club?

SMO

The ironic thing is that they are going to be named after sunbeams and yet, beginning in 2010, they will be the ONLY team in MLB that never plays any home games under the sun.

russ99
11-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Oooooh! Look out! The Devil!!! The Devil!!!!

Seriously, this is so stupid. It's a type of fish. If it's such a problem, why not change it to Manta Ray or some other kind of Ray.

"Rays" makes it seem like some guy named Ray owns the team.

Makes me wonder if all the bible-thumpers in the South are behind this. Also, the team is bad because of crappy management, not the devil.

twsoxfan5
11-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I think the "ray" of sun on thier webiste still kind of looks they are trying to incorporate a sting ray into it. I guess I am the only one that thinks these unis are 100 times better than thier old ones. I don't love them but I thought thier old ones had horrible colors and they always wore those brutal vests.

Red Barchetta
11-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Since moving to the Sarasota area a few years ago, I would really like to get back into MLB (after being a SOX season ticket holder for years), however this franchise continues to confuse me with their direction.

We all agree the Trop has got to go. I really think they will secure a retractable roof-type ballpark within the next few years as the St. Pete Mayor has publically agreed to support a new park as long as the team does not try to move out of the city.

What amazes me is that there is such strong college football loyalties in Florida yet very little loyalty to the Rays as demonstrated every time the Red Sox and/or Yankees come to town. Obviously, the Yankees train in Tampa, however with all the college loyalty, I'm surprised the team didn't try going with Orange/Blue similar to the Gators. I think a Gators/Denver Broncos Blue/Orange color scheme would have been a better color scheme choice.

Plus, I like Hawk's idea of Florida Panthers vs. Rays.

SBSoxFan
11-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Since moving to the Sarasota area a few years ago, I would really like to get back into MLB (after being a SOX season ticket holder for years), however this franchise continues to confuse me with their direction.

We all agree the Trop has got to go. I really think they will secure a retractable roof-type ballpark within the next few years as the St. Pete Mayor has publically agreed to support a new park as long as the team does not try to move out of the city.

What amazes me is that there is such strong college football loyalties in Florida yet very little loyalty to the Rays as demonstrated every time the Red Sox and/or Yankees come to town. Obviously, the Yankees train in Tampa, however with all the college loyalty, I'm surprised the team didn't try going with Orange/Blue similar to the Gators. I think a Gators/Denver Broncos Blue/Orange color scheme would have been a better color scheme choice.

Plus, I like Hawk's idea of Florida Panthers vs. Rays.

Isn't there already a Florida Panthers team?

Bucky F. Dent
11-09-2007, 11:05 AM
In related news, Tampa has just made deals to acquire Ray King from the Brewers, and Ray Durham from the Giants.

They have also signed Ray Fosse to serve as a bench coach.

There just aren't that many guys in the league named "Ray" anymore.

Now, if they had named themselves the Tampa Bay Ryans, THEN we would have something!

eriqjaffe
11-09-2007, 11:21 AM
In related news, Tampa has just made deals to acquire Ray King from the Brewers, and Ray Durham from the Giants.

They have also signed Ray Fosse to serve as a bench coach.

There just aren't that many guys in the league named "Ray" anymore.

Now, if they had named themselves the Tampa Bay Ryans, THEN we would have something!You forgot Chris Ray (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/raych01.shtml).

spawn
11-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Isn't there already a Florida Panthers team?
Yep (http://panthers.nhl.com/).

DumpJerry
11-09-2007, 12:39 PM
I read that they are talking with Kenny about Ray Anderson and Ray Uribe.

Gammons Peter
11-09-2007, 12:55 PM
It would be nice if their new look included Gio, Broadway and Garland
and not Carl Crawford

DumpJerry
11-09-2007, 12:56 PM
It would be nice if their new look included Gio, Broadway and Garland
and not Carl Crawford
:o:

Clearly you have social plans next October you don't want to cancel for White Sox games.

Gammons Peter
11-09-2007, 01:40 PM
:o:

Clearly you have social plans next October you don't want to cancel for White Sox games.

Counting on two AA pitchers talking us to the World Series? funny
Give me Carl Crawford or Miggy Cabrera for all of our "great" prospects, they want our top 5 guys...fine (only one or two of those guys will make it anyway) Give me the young superstar allstar anyday.

palehozenychicty
11-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Counting on two AA pitchers talking us to the World Series? funny
Give me Carl Crawford or Miggy Cabrera for all of our "great" prospects, they want our top 5 guys...fine (only one or two of those guys will make it anyway) Give me the young superstar allstar anyday.

It happened this year with the Rockies e.g. Morales and Jimenez. It happened with Bobby Jenks in 2005. In fact, young pitchers are usually the biggest asset to have in a championship push. Maybe not at the start of the season, but come the fall, young pitching gets you to the playoffs and through it.

skottyj242
11-09-2007, 01:50 PM
The Tampa Bay:

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/22/charles,0.jpg

VenturaFan23
11-09-2007, 01:59 PM
bland, bland, bland

Hitmen77
11-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Tampa Bay is by far my most disappointing franchise in MLB. They're locked into a long term lease at a lousy stadium, never have lost less than 90 games, and can't even come up with a decent team name and uniforms.

They certainly have some talent on their team, but they're the one team that just seems to have zero character and zero accomplishments.

Jerome
11-10-2007, 12:37 AM
sooo laaaaaame

i hate all these new mlb jersies that look like generic asg jersies. is that what focus groups have determined is the least offensive? i can't honestly believe that people will be lining up to buy these

thank goodness the sox have such cool unis. in fact, the sox, in their long and storied history or uniforms, have about a half dozen unis that are better than these

drewcifer
11-10-2007, 12:46 AM
sooo laaaaaame

i hate all these new mlb jersies that look like generic asg jersies. is that what focus groups have determined is the least offensive? i can't honestly believe that people will be lining up to buy these

thank goodness the sox have such cool unis. in fact, the sox, in their long and storied history or uniforms, have about a half dozen unis that are better than these

Its the key all the way to your left on bottom row and also to right. Starting a sentence, proper nouns... It's not much to ask for. You're not even trying.

These posts give me a goddamn headache.

I guess I'm getting old.

Pay attention to spell check too, "jersie" consumer... Christ. :rolleyes:

I feel like grumpy ass Kittle.

Jerome
11-10-2007, 01:51 AM
Its the key all the way to your left on bottom row and also to right. Starting a sentence, proper nouns... It's not much to ask for. You're not even trying.

These posts give me a goddamn headache.

I guess I'm getting old.

Pay attention to spell check too, "jersie" consumer... Christ. :rolleyes:

I feel like grumpy ass Kittle.

Sorry. When I'm typing in a hurry I tend to omit the shift key.

It does give look of the authorship of a ten year old girl, which is not what I'm going for at all believe it or not.

MUsoxfan
11-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Tampa Bay is by far my most disappointing franchise in MLB. They're locked into a long term lease at a lousy stadium, never have lost less than 90 games, and can't even come up with a decent team name and uniforms.

They certainly have some talent on their team, but they're the one team that just seems to have zero character and zero accomplishments.

As long as there's not a salary cap there won't be any banners flying in the Juice Box

Red Barchetta
11-10-2007, 12:30 PM
I just saw the new jerseys/caps up close at a local mall promotion this past week in Tampa. They look better than the pictures. The navy/light blue trim look good sort of like the Tennessee Titans color scheme. The road uniforms looks better than the home IMO because the gray backbround makes the navy/light blue blend better. I wish instead of "Rays" they would have put "Tampa Bay" on the road jerseys. The yellow starburst could be a hint for future changes.

The one thing that does look silly is the old style Manta "Devil" Ray on the sleeves which an earlier poster commented on. It's like they're not ready to completely get rid of their old symbol. I think they should have replaced the Ray with another sun starburst on the sleeve.

That hats remind me of the older style San Diego Padres hats. The TB is a little more pronounced and the colors look good with the white/light blue trim set against the navy background.

Their website incorrectly lists the batting practice jersey as the alternate jersey.

Red Barchetta
11-13-2007, 05:03 PM
They changed the uniforms, now they're working on changing ball parks. Something I think we all agree on, however the open air idea might be a tough sell come August. On the flip side, we get another ball park where home runs to RF might end up in the water....

Link:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/11/13/302503.html

ChiSoxGirl
11-13-2007, 10:05 PM
They changed the uniforms, now they're working on changing ball parks. Something I think we all agree on, however the open air idea might be a tough sell come August. On the flip side, we get another ball park where home runs to RF might end up in the water....

Link:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2007/11/13/302503.html

Over & above the heat, you have those daily thunderstorms in the late afternoon/early evening that you can set your watch to. There could be a lot of rain delays at Rays games in the future. With that said, the concept of a ballpark on the bay is a great one! :cool:

Red Barchetta
11-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Over & above the heat, you have those daily thunderstorms in the late afternoon/early evening that you can set your watch to. There could be a lot of rain delays at Rays games in the future. With that said, the concept of a ballpark on the bay is a great one! :cool:

Another news article indicated that although the ballpark is an open air ballpark, they are proposing some kind of "sail like" cover over the stadium that is retracted within in minutes. Not necessarily a roof, rather a cover over the field. Hopefully they will release some artist renditions.

I agree, it sounds interesting and even though it would take me a long time to become a Rays fan, I would like a nice ballpark to go see MLB.

Hitmen77
11-14-2007, 11:53 PM
It'll be interesting to see if this moves forward. I think one of the articles suggested that the Rays would put up most of the money for a new ballpark.

This could be a huge boost to this franchise if it ever becomes a reality.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/2007/11/crists-says-hel.html

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/11/13/Rays/Rays_to_seek_vote_on_.shtml

FedEx227
11-15-2007, 12:52 AM
Glad it seems to be gaining some steam, The D-Rays... oh crap.. The Rays... no screw that... the D-Rays have been one of my favorite teams for a couple of years now, I love the talent they got. I actually went down to St. Pete to see the Rays/White Sox a couple years back, that stadium was a complete drag and I really think a new stadium will actually breath some life into an unnecessarily dying franchise.

ChiSoxGirl
11-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Glad it seems to be gaining some steam, The D-Rays... oh crap.. The Rays... no screw that... the D-Rays have been one of my favorite teams for a couple of years now, I love the talent they got. I actually went down to St. Pete to see the Rays/White Sox a couple years back, that stadium was a complete drag and I really think a new stadium will actually breath some life into an unnecessarily dying franchise.

I went down there this past June for the Sox/Devil Rays series and despite the severe lack of ambiance that The Trop. has to offer, it's a great place to see a game because you have more of an "up close" view of the game, the players, and the field.

My friend & I bought tickets down the left field line the first night, and the other two nights we had free upper deck vouchers- we sat behind the Sox dugout for all three games! The Trop. also offers free parking, so I saw three game down there for nothing more than what it cost me for one game ticket and food & drinks! :bandance: And if it weren't for the Sox taking their trips to Tampa in April & May next season, I'd go down there again to see them in a second.

FedEx227
11-15-2007, 11:39 AM
I went down there this past June for the Sox/Devil Rays series and despite the severe lack of ambiance that The Trop. has to offer, it's a great place to see a game because you have more of an "up close" view of the game, the players, and the field.

My friend & I bought tickets down the left field line the first night, and the other two nights we had free upper deck vouchers- we sat behind the Sox dugout for all three games! The Trop. also offers free parking, so I saw three game down there for nothing more than what it cost me for one game ticket and food & drinks! :bandance: And if it weren't for the Sox taking their trips to Tampa in April & May next season, I'd go down there again to see them in a second.

Oh I had a great time, I sat behind home plate despite buying an OF seat. Not too often you can do that. But the stadium itself as you're watching a game just does not have a MLB atmosphere. It feels like you're watching a IHSA state finals tournament or something, it's hard to explain for those who haven't been there but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Hitmen77
11-15-2007, 12:15 PM
More on the proposed new St. Pete ballpark:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21799091/

The team is expected to make a formal proposal next month, so we'll get more details at that time.

Red Barchetta
11-15-2007, 01:23 PM
From a pure selfish point of view, I hope they pull this deal off. I don't enjoy watching games at the Tropicana dome because it really lacks baseball atmosphere, however I enjoy walking up to a Sox-Rays series 30 minutes before game time, scoring lower deck seats that usually end up with me sitting in the first five rows behind the SOX dugout. That would probably change if they build a nice outdoor ballpark.

St. Pete is only a 30 minute drive (and I mean drive - not stuck in traffic crawl) up I275 from Sarasota area. Plus, I cross over the Sunshine Skyway bridge which is one of the coolest bridges in the country. A very scenic drive.

After the game, I usually hit the stadium club bar for a beer and within 30 minutes the parking lot is cleared out allowing an easy exit and drive home.

If they move down to the waterfront, it won't be as easy, however the extra few miles should not make it that much more difficult.

As to the name, I like Tampa Bay in that more cities have a connection to the bay, however if the St. Pete tax payers and city council approve this, perhaps they should be called the St. Petersburg Rays. However, that would probably go against the regional marketing strategy/strength of tying the team to "Tampa Bay Area".

Either way, I would love to see this happen vs. having the team move to Orlando or Lakeland (In between Tampa and Orlando). Again, from a purely selfish point of view. :D:

FedEx227
11-15-2007, 01:40 PM
From a pure selfish point of view, I hope they pull this deal off. I don't enjoy watching games at the Tropicana dome because it really lacks baseball atmosphere, however I enjoy walking up to a Sox-Rays series 30 minutes before game time, scoring lower deck seats that usually end up with me sitting in the first five rows behind the SOX dugout. That would probably change if they build a nice outdoor ballpark.

St. Pete is only a 30 minute drive (and I mean drive - not stuck in traffic crawl) up I275 from Sarasota area. Plus, I cross over the Sunshine Skyway bridge which is one of the coolest bridges in the country. A very scenic drive.

After the game, I usually hit the stadium club bar for a beer and within 30 minutes the parking lot is cleared out allowing an easy exit and drive home.

If they move down to the waterfront, it won't be as easy, however the extra few miles should not make it that much more difficult.

As to the name, I like Tampa Bay in that more cities have a connection to the bay, however if the St. Pete tax payers and city council approve this, perhaps they should be called the St. Petersburg Rays. However, that would probably go against the regional marketing strategy/strength of tying the team to "Tampa Bay Area".

Either way, I would love to see this happen vs. having the team move to Orlando or Lakeland (In between Tampa and Orlando). Again, from a purely selfish point of view.

How about The Tampa Bay Area Rays of St. Petersburg? :D:

hi im skot
11-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Their website incorrectly lists the batting practice jersey as the alternate jersey.

Actually, from my understanding, their BPs will indeed serve as their alternates, ala the Mariners towards the end of '07.

soxfanatlanta
11-15-2007, 02:03 PM

Everybody knows it never rains on the beach. :tongue:

Red Barchetta
11-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Actually, from my understanding, their BPs will indeed serve as their alternates, ala the Mariners towards the end of '07.

That's not what the 20-year old kid told me in the mall. :tongue:

Might be true, however I would hope the alternate jersey would be more in line with the regular jerseys, including the piping on the collar/sleeves and perhaps the "TB" in the upper chest vs. another "Rays'' script. Nothing very alternate about that except the color.

Hey, since the Cubs aren't using their alternate any longer, perhaps a "Devil (oops scary Satanic reference that native Floridians are afraid of) Ray" with one of its stingers curled up like the Cub bear paw. :D:

Those had to be the lamest logo ever... it really struck fear in the hearts of the opposing team.

ChiSoxGirl
11-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Everybody knows it never rains on the beach. :tongue:

Oh, is that why I was chased from St. Pete Beach every afternoon between 2:45 & 3:15? :wink:

soxinem1
11-17-2007, 04:59 PM
It also appears that the Rays are taking about a new stadium again.

It notes a 35,000 seat stadium being a possibility, but I think the size is WAY OFF.

They should make it 15,000 so it looks like it is full!

Whitesox029
11-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I think this is the best color scheme and uniform they've had in their history, despite the fact that the writing looks like it's straight off an orange juice carton.
Previously they were named after the animal, but I think now they want to be named after both the sun's rays and the animal, since both are regionally relevant for Florida. A devil ray is only a specific species of ray, but they belong to the order of rajiformes, which includes all true rays and skates (per Wikipedia). A ray is just a general term for an animal in that order.

Incidentally, I think the Florida Panthers should change their name to the Florida Skates. It would be a great name for a hockey team, and it wouldn't be the first time different sports teams in the same area coordinated their teams. (Mets, Jets, and Nets in the New York area, and Steelers, Penguins and Pirates in Pittsburgh, who all use the same colors.)

soxinem1
11-19-2007, 04:54 PM
I think this is the best color scheme and uniform they've had in their history, despite the fact that the writing looks like it's straight off an orange juice carton.
Previously they were named after the animal, but I think now they want to be named after both the sun's rays and the animal, since both are regionally relevant for Florida. A devil ray is only a specific species of ray, but they belong to the order of rajiformes, which includes all true rays and skates (per Wikipedia). A ray is just a general term for an animal in that order.

Incidentally, I think the Florida Panthers should change their name to the Florida Skates. It would be a great name for a hockey team, and it wouldn't be the first time different sports teams in the same area coordinated their teams. (Mets, Jets, and Nets in the New York area, and Steelers, Penguins and Pirates in Pittsburgh, who all use the same colors.)

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper337/stills/8bbw435e.jpg

'I couldn't have explained that better myself.' :smile::smile:

lewdminx
11-19-2007, 05:03 PM
what a joke

Whitesox029
11-19-2007, 05:07 PM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper337/stills/8bbw435e.jpg

'I couldn't have explained that better myself.' :smile::smile:
Ha ha
[bows]
:wink:

eriqjaffe
11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Incidentally, I think the Florida Panthers should change their name to the Florida Skates. It would be a great name for a hockey team, and it wouldn't be the first time different sports teams in the same area coordinated their teams.Your zoological insight is commendable. Your geography, however...

DrGiggles
11-19-2007, 05:29 PM
We just produced a ton of mini helmet decals for the new "Jays." It's not a bad logo at all.:D: But I still feel the whole devil thing being such a controversy is a little bit over the top.