PDA

View Full Version : Collusion? G.M's Sharing Info??

Lip Man 1
11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Interesting Story:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-bbo-collusion-a-rod,1,5593935.story?coll=sns-ap-sports-headlines

Lip

WhiteSox5187
11-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Could it be that teams aren't talking to A-Rod cuz they don't want to have to post $350 mil? That's not collusion, that's market forces.

jdm2662
11-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Interesting Story:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-bbo-collusion-a-rod,1,5593935.story?coll=sns-ap-sports-headlines

Lip

I'm sure BorA$$ has a lot to do with this claim. Whenever he doesn't get his way, he cries collusion. Wait until something happens before crying, which he will. Is he going to cry every time a team doesn't bow to him and give him what he wants?

thedudeabides
11-08-2007, 10:10 PM
This is going to be one wild offseason. Between these collusion claims, the Mitchell report, Arod, and the Sox needs....I'm staying tuned.

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Hasn't Boras already been questioned last year with Drew and this year with Arod?

WLL1855
11-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Could it be that teams aren't talking to A-Rod cuz they don't want to have to post $350 mil? That's not collusion, that's market forces.

Exactly. This is idiotic. Just because Boras can't get the GM's to fight over the privilege to spend like a drunken sailor on shore leave doesn't make it collusion. I hope somebody puts a foot in this guy's ass soon. He has it coming.

doublem23
11-09-2007, 01:26 AM
Not this whiny bull**** again.

I usually take the players' side whenever there's a dispute with the owners, but A-Rod and Boras need to shut the hell up. These two clowns seem to think they're entitled to a 12-year deal with $350 million +, meanwhile, an average family of four needs to shell out over $100 just to go to a game, park their car, and *god forbid* have something to eat at the park.

:payrod

I hope nobody ****ing signs him.

dakuda
11-09-2007, 06:05 AM
I hope nobody ****ing signs him.

As do I. Unfortunately, someone will do it.

Frater Perdurabo
11-09-2007, 06:08 AM
I know it's wrong to wish harm upon another human being, but can I at least wish that Boras comes down with some sort of medically harmless but very annoying rash or uncontrollable itch?

AZChiSoxFan
11-09-2007, 08:00 AM
I know it's wrong to wish harm upon another human being, but can I at least wish that Boras comes down with some sort of medically harmless but very annoying rash or uncontrollable itch?

Remember when Charles Barkley said "I don't wish bad things on anybody......except Bill Laimbeer" ?

Well, I just switch out Laimbeer for Boras and make the same statement.

russ99
11-09-2007, 09:23 AM
I knew Boras was gonna pull this crap. Having a former owner as commissioner doesn't help either.

It's not collusion when nobody wants to pay that much for one player, especially when he disappears in the playoffs, and his agent comes out with statements like: "You have to make a $350 million offer if you wish to speak with the third baseman. "

Also, why is GMs discussing who they'd like to trade and what their needs are a big issue? They do that every year.

The Immigrant
11-09-2007, 11:24 AM
As do I. Unfortunately, someone will do it.

Well, when they do, I hope it's for less than he would have made annually with the Yankees.

The Immigrant
11-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Also, why is GMs discussing who they'd like to trade and what their needs are a big issue? They do that every year.

In Don Fehr's twisted world, apparently every conversation between two GMs about a potential trade constitutes collusion.

SBSoxFan
11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
In Don Fehr's twisted world, apparently every conversation between two GMs about a potential trade constitutes collusion.

I think it's in regards to the new method they used at the GM's meeting ... which doesn't make it any less twisted.

11-09-2007, 01:56 PM
I hope they are. He is a greedy classless bastard. He thinks he is above the World Series! He couldn't have waited another 24 hours to announce his opting out? No! He did it DURING game 4 of the World Series.

I hope he tweaks his knee or hurts his arm playing Guitar Hero at Zumaya's house before signing somewhere and his price is driven down to peanuts.

Screw A-Rod.

WhiteSox5187
11-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Well, when they do, I hope it's for less than he would have made annually with the Yankees.
It could very well be...it's early yet but of the big market teams, not many really need a new third baseman, when there isn't the demand, the price goes down. That's just the way the market works, apparetnly Boras has forgotten that.

Lip Man 1
11-09-2007, 04:22 PM
SB:

I think it's because some in the union remember the 'information bank' which the owners and G.M.'s agreed upon in the mid 80's.

If a team made an offer to a free agent they had to notify Uberroth's office so that it was on the record. (Peter would then apparently use this information to verbally assult said owners making them think twice about actually going through and signing said player in question.)

In this case you have G.M.'s in the same room one at a time saying what they need or want or what they are willing to do, putting it 'on the record.'

I don't think the two situations are the same but I could see where some in the union would be hesitant about this and which was judged against the law by the courts during the 80's three collusion settlements which helped cause Uberroth to leave his office before the final damage numbers that had to be paid came down.

Lip

Bucky F. Dent
11-09-2007, 07:41 PM

Yep.
Everyone considering your demand to be absurd is not collusion. It's a dose of reality.

SoxandtheCityTee
11-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Boras is a 54-year-old man who hasn't taken a vacation in decades. His kids are nearly grown, their childhoods largely missed. His claim to fame on the way up -- the exhaustive baseball statistical research he gathered -- can be put together now by anyone with an internet connection and some time on his hands. The binders or "books" on his athlete clients, with which Boras once dazzled or puzzled the codgers running things, hardly impress today's crop of GM staffers, who've seen better in their business school case studies.

Meanwhile, front offices are now too well-advised to do anything that could constitute collusion, and have had someone break down for them the powerful and perfectly legal concept of the unilateral refusal to deal. It's not easy to be a man Boras's age anyway, with younger guys coming up all the time who can play good cop to his notoriously bad. He's made a great fortune, and changed the game, but the game is changing again -- or still -- and he will be a relic, an irrelevance at some point. How soon, we shall see. What happens with A-Rod may be the first sign, or it may take longer and a different player's contract, one less supremely talented. But it will happen.

CLR01
11-13-2007, 12:27 AM
He's made a great fortune, and changed the game, but the game is changing again -- or still -- and he will be a relic, an irrelevance at some point. How soon, we shall see. What happens with A-Rod may be the first sign, or it may take longer and a different player's contract, one less supremely talented. But it will happen.

Sure, when he decides to hang it up. Until that day he will continue to represent some of the best players the game has to offer because they know that he, better than anyone else, can and will deliver them the big pay day that they want. To believe that the game is changing and will eventually leave him in the dust is simply dreaming. Scott Boras will continue to be a pain in the ass of GM's across the league for many years to come. In fact, he will probably outlast most of them, if not all of them.

RichH55
11-13-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm pretty sure it's going to be tough to call any offseason where Torii Hunter gets 5 years at 15-16 million per "collusion"