PDA

View Full Version : Kazuo Matsui

sox230
11-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Shouldn't we be interested in this guy. I mean I know we have Richar but look at Matsui's average and runs, and most importantly, stolen bases. He probably wouldn't cost that much either.

munchman33
11-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Shouldn't we be interested in this guy. I mean I know we have Richar but look at Matsui's average and runs, and most importantly, stolen bases. He probably wouldn't cost that much either.

Matsui's year was a mirage. He was horrible outside of Coors last year. Pass.

gregory18n
11-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Entire positive change ignored because of a field; I don't buy it. i'de try Matsui leading off in a second.

11-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Entire positive change ignored because of a field; I don't buy it. i'de try Matsui leading off in a second.

It's not rocket surgery greg, his production outside of Coors field was terrible. Kaz put together half of a good season inside the most hitter friendly park, in his career. Put two and two together.

Domeshot17
11-08-2007, 07:14 PM
He hit in the best hitters park and in the craptacular NL.

Kaz Matsui at home in Colorado hit: 330 with an 863 ops

On the road? 249 with a 637 ops

No thanks

gregory18n
11-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I just know what I saw in the first 2 rounds of the post season & hope that he's actually progressing as a ballplayer. I really liked his speed, he definately sparked the Rockies. If we were able to put Crawford behind him, his Coors #'s would become the norm.

soxinem1
11-08-2007, 07:51 PM
How do you say Kaz Matsui in Spanish?

Neifi Perez.

And there is your answer.

oeo
11-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I just know what I saw in the first 2 rounds of the post season & hope that he's actually progressing as a ballplayer. I really liked his speed, he definately sparked the Rockies. If we were able to put Crawford behind him, his Coors #'s would become the norm.

Progressing? He's 32 and has been in the big leagues for four years now (after playing in Japan). What you see is what you get from Mr. Matsui. He's not going to get any better.

Iguchi would be a better option. Richar will be better than Iguchi, though.

gregory18n
11-08-2007, 08:26 PM
OK, ya'll convinced me, I was seeing things.

Foulke You
11-09-2007, 12:41 AM
I have a feeling Kaz had himself a career year last year and in '08, we'll see a correction on his numbers. This kind've reminds me how a lot of people jumped on the Tony Womack bandwagon a couple years ago. Everyone (including MLB GMs) thought he'd be the top of the order speed they were looking for. In the end, they found out that Womack just had himself a career year in a contract year. Someone will get suckered into giving Kaz Matsui a huge contract and will probably take a bath on it much like the Mets did when they originally signed him.

11-09-2007, 01:03 AM
His bat is more productive than Juan Uribe.

He has also only been in the league 4 years.

Just making a few points.

doublem23
11-09-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't know if Matsui really presents that much of an upgrade. Uribe's career slugging percentage is .427, Matsui's is only .387 and that's with spending the last year and half at Coors Field. Plus, Matsui is 4 years older than Juan and would be nearing the end of his expected "prime," while Juan would just be entering his.

Plus, someone is obviously going to overpay for him. I suppose if somehow, hypothetically Kaz ends up coming here on the cheap, that's not a terrible move (I'm never opposed to bringing in cheap veterans to fight over playing time, especially since the upper echelon of the White Sox's farm system is terrible).

The reality, however, is that someone is going to offer him an insane contact and feel like an ******* in 2009 when he's old, broken down, and totally unproductive. I'd rather bring back Tadahito.

11-09-2007, 01:17 AM
With SS and CF being way BIGGER holes than 2B at this point for the 2008 White Sox, I think it is irrevelent to discuss anyone other than Richar at 2B.

Etownsox13
11-09-2007, 01:19 AM
How do you say Kaz Matsui in Spanish?

Neifi Perez.

And there is your answer.

:rolling: Very good...I'd take a pass on the guy...couldn't meet high expectations in New York, won't put up his #'s from last year in the AL

doublem23
11-09-2007, 01:28 AM
With SS and CF being way BIGGER holes than 2B at this point for the 2008 White Sox, I think it is irrevelent to discuss anyone other than Richar at 2B.

If you're penciling in Danny Richar at 2B and you don't consider that a hole, well, then I guess we're not playing for 2008, either.

gregory18n
11-09-2007, 02:13 AM
i've only considered Matsui @ 2nd, Uribe is a better defensive ss.

Sargeant79
11-09-2007, 08:56 AM
If you're penciling in Danny Richar at 2B and you don't consider that a hole, well, then I guess we're not playing for 2008, either.

I think there is a good chance that Richar will put up similar numbers to those of Iguchi while playing just as good, if not better defense. If mid-June rolls around and those expectations are not being met, then we have a hole. Until then, there are more pressing needs.

oeo
11-09-2007, 01:10 PM

We'll see...

BTW, the Flubs are apparently going to push hard for Matsui; let's hope it happens.