PDA

View Full Version : Ron Mahay

BadBobbyJenks
11-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Im not sure why I dont see the white sox in the discussion for this guy. He was great last season for the braves with an era in the 2's. Hes a lefty who surely would be a huge upgrade over Myers and Boone logan.

He is the best middle reliever out there so I am sure hes going to get too much money for a reliever but I would hope we look into it.

Huisj
11-08-2007, 05:37 PM
His ERA was good, but he walks a lot of guys it seems, and he'll be 37 next year, and it's not like he's been as good as he was last year all the time. I don't really think he's all that much more valuable than Thornton, especially considering age.

soxinem1
11-08-2007, 05:43 PM
I like Mahay because he can be used as both a long man and to face certain lefties.

The draw back is that his control is very sporadic, and he has had difficulty staying in the bigs for an entire season.

We already have the young version of Mahay in the form of Andrew Sisco, do we need another project?

Dick Allen
11-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Please, no more ex-Cubs.

DrCrawdad
11-09-2007, 09:32 AM
His ERA was good, but he walks a lot of guys it seems, and he'll be 37 next year, and it's not like he's been as good as he was last year all the time. I don't really think he's all that much more valuable than Thornton, especially considering age.

Mahay (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mahayro01.shtml) has had two off seasons (ERA-wise) in his last 8 seasons in MLB.

Mahay may not be great but he's certainly no Mike Myers (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/myersmi01.shtml). Myers was shot, done, finished and that's why the Yankees let him go. But the Sox were (and possibly still are) infatuated with him.

oeo
11-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Mahay may not be great but he's certainly no Mike Myers (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/myersmi01.shtml). Myers was shot, done, finished and that's why the Yankees let him go. But the Sox were (and possibly still are) infatuated with him.

Yep, so infatuated with him that they picked him up when they had nothing to lose. They then declined his option, so they're definitely loving the guy. :rolleyes:

DrCrawdad
11-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Yep, so infatuated with him that they picked him up when they had nothing to lose.

Myers came over and proved repeatedly that the Yankees assessment was correct, that he was done. So, the Sox give him a chance. Your right nothing to lose. Then Myers repeatedly demonstrates that he (inhales). The Sox clearly could have been, and probably should have beeb, cut him a couple weeks after bringing him on board. No they held on to him and kept saying that he had an opportunity for next year. Even after the season ended they held on to Myers when he clearly could have been released.

Roll your eyes all you want, but the Sox needed what 4 months to realize that Myers was useless?

kittle42
11-09-2007, 01:17 PM
What do people around here do, just go pull up a list of crap middle relievers who had a good season?

Mahay blows. Of course, I said the same thing about Cliff Politte once, and was only proven wrong for one season. Mahay just had his good season.

oeo
11-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Myers came over and proved repeatedly that the Yankees assessment was correct, that he was done. So, the Sox give him a chance. Your right nothing to lose. Then Myers repeatedly demonstrates that he (inhales). The Sox clearly could have been, and probably should have beeb, cut him a couple weeks after bringing him on board. No they held on to him and kept saying that he had an opportunity for next year. Even after the season ended they held on to Myers when he clearly could have been released.

Roll your eyes all you want, but the Sox needed what 4 months to realize that Myers was useless?

Honestly, why does it matter? :?:

You're complaining over nothing...

BadBobbyJenks
11-09-2007, 06:32 PM
I guess I should have looked at him a little closer, I had no idea he was 37

getonbckthr
11-09-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm comfortable with Thornton and Logan.

Lip Man 1
11-09-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm not.

Lip