PDA

View Full Version : Twins, Santana discussing Multiyear deal

Sockinchisox
11-08-2007, 02:19 PM
From SI.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/11/08/santana.trade/index.html

Goose
11-08-2007, 03:17 PM
The Twins recently reopened negotiations with star pitcher Johan Santana, and in the likely event that the cost-conscious, small-market team fails to sign him soon, it is expected that baseball's best pitcher will hit the trade market.

I think SI got it wrong. The best pitcher in baseball just re-signed with the Red Sox.

Just ask Fenway!

WhiteSox5187
11-08-2007, 04:35 PM
God dammit, I was hoping he'd leave the Central soon...:(:

JermaineDye05
11-08-2007, 04:37 PM
God dammit, I was hoping he'd leave the Central soon...:(:

I was hoping he'd stay in the central and sign with the WS...:(::(:

Taliesinrk
11-08-2007, 04:41 PM
What has Hunter said about rejoining the Twins? IIRC, this is bad news because Santana was pissed that Hunter wasn't resigned. I just hope that in order to lure Santana back, the Twins get Hunter for him too

JermaineDye05
11-08-2007, 05:04 PM
What has Hunter said about rejoining the Twins? IIRC, this is bad news because Santana was pissed that Hunter wasn't resigned. I just hope that in order to lure Santana back, the Twins get Hunter for him too

I hope not, I'd prefer Torii robbing homeruns for us and not against us. I'd think Torii is about as likely to sign with the Twins as he is with the Sox, but I don't think the Twins will give him the 5 year deal he wants.

MUsoxfan
11-08-2007, 05:20 PM
It would absolutely blow my mind if the Pohlad drops this kind of cash on a player

Hitmen77
11-08-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't read this article as there being any new progress on the Twins signing Santana to an extension. It just sounds to me like a last-ditch effort to make a deal with him before the Twins officially put him on the trading block.

Question: How much will the Twins be able to get in return for Santana? I realize he is the best pitcher in baseball and any team would love to have him, but whoever acquires him may very well just be getting him for a 1 year rental. In that case, will a team likely "trade the farm" for possibly just one year of Johan Santana before he hits the open market?

DumpJerry
11-08-2007, 06:02 PM
When the Twins traded Castillo, Santana was quoted in the local papers saying he was upset with management because they did not want to spend money to get a winner and did want to continue with the team when his contract was up. There was a thread here about it, but I'm too lazy right now to search for it.