PDA

View Full Version : Latest On Steroid Investigation

Lip Man 1
11-08-2007, 12:51 AM
By Phil Rogers...quotes Kenny and says Proud To Be Your Bud may try to hand out 50 game suspensions when it comes out:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-071108rogers,1,3186217.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

FireMariotti
11-08-2007, 01:09 AM
I really hope that this report doesn't touch the '05 team.

50 players though...:unsure:

areilly
11-08-2007, 08:56 AM

It will. I don't know if it will in a big way - i.e. key players or postseason standouts - but it's impossible to think any team is safe. Who knows. It'll be nice when this is over and Mitchell is through stating the obvious.

downstairs
11-08-2007, 11:26 AM

Well, 50 players across 30 teams is 1.6 per team. Chances are quite a few teams will have zero players, and quite a few will have 2-3.

Oblong
11-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Chances are quite a few teams will have zero players(snip)

I bet $2 that one of them is the Red Sox for reasons previously discussed here.

Trav
11-08-2007, 11:49 AM
I like how he slid it in there that no Sox or Cub has been linked to steroids, except Soso. But other than that, no major player. haha

russ99
11-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I hope something is done. This complete inaction by Bud truly is sickening. Every other major sport takes a hardline stand on this kind of stuff, why not baseball? Sheesh, in the NFL there's suspensions even if a player is using a supplement not on the approved list.

Is Selig really that afraid of taking on the players' union?

Brian26
11-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Well, 50 players across 30 teams is 1.6 per team. Chances are quite a few teams will have zero players, and quite a few will have 2-3.

How many of the 50 will be left after you add up all the Oakland and Baltimore guys?

DumpJerry
11-08-2007, 12:56 PM

50 players are not getting suspended. Some players will be getting 50 day suspensions. The article and Lip's post do not state how many players are getting hit. Huge difference.

jabrch
11-08-2007, 01:10 PM
How many of the 50 will be left after you add up all the Oakland and Baltimore guys?

I think that would only leave the Texas Rangers and Barry Bonds

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 05:51 PM
According to EsPNEWS 11 free agents were listed in the Mitchell Report.

thedudeabides
11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
According to EsPNEWS 11 free agents were listed in the Mitchell Report.

Do the GM's and agents know these names yet, or do they have to wait like the rest of us?

ChiSoxFan35
11-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Who else is sick of these damn teases? Enough, just release the names already

This even dates back to that affidavit where Deadspin thought Pujols could be linked (to some Ari pitcher and his trainer). I personally don't even care if my entire team is doing it, but it only seems fair that GM's/Owners know before signing guys

Lip Man 1
11-08-2007, 06:50 PM
ESPN radio is reporting this afternoon, quoting two player-agents as confirming, that the MLBPA has been told by Mitchell that 11 players who are free agents this season, will be named in this report.

The story also said that the 11 players have been notified that they will be named.

Let the speculation begin.

Lip

drewcifer
11-08-2007, 06:59 PM
ESPN radio is reporting this afternoon, quoting two player-agents as confirming, that the MLBPA has been told by Mitchell that 11 players who are free agents this season, will be named in this report.

The story also said that the 11 players have been notified that they will be named.

Let the speculation begin.

Lip

I'll guess:

Andruw Jones
Torii Hunter
Bartolo Colon
Francisco Cordero
Tom Glavine
Mike Piazza
Barry Bonds
Sammy Sosa
Paul LoDuca
Kenny Rogers
..who else... Freddy maybe?:(:

hi im skot
11-08-2007, 08:07 PM
I'll guess:

Andruw Jones
Torii Hunter
Bartolo Colon
Francisco Cordero
Tom Glavine
Mike Piazza
Barry Bonds
Sammy Sosa
Paul LoDuca
Kenny Rogers
..who else... Freddy maybe?:(:

Let's not do this again...

rowand33
11-08-2007, 08:18 PM
for what it's worth,

I'll be surprised if Rowand isn't one of the 11 free agents mentioned.

no teal.

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 08:28 PM
for what it's worth,

no teal.
His 2 best seasons both came in 1st full seasons following a serious injury. Plus he is jacked.

PKalltheway
11-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Who else is sick of these damn teases? Enough, just release the names already
I'm with you on that one. I guess maybe they want to wait until after all the awards are released?:dunno:

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Part of me wishes this **** never came out. The ending result will be baseball will be ruined for me. The baseball I grew up watching, the players I idolized tainted. Perhaps the only World Series in this city in 100 years tainted. I wish none of this came out and just stayed hidden away in the cellar.

rowand33
11-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Part of me wishes this **** never came out. The ending result will be baseball will be ruined for me. The baseball I grew up watching, the players I idolized tainted. Perhaps the only World Series in this city in 100 years tainted. I wish none of this came out and just stayed hidden away in the cellar.

agreed. sometimes, ignorance really is bliss.

thomas35forever
11-08-2007, 08:43 PM
When all this is over, how long will it take for people to come back to baseball? This sounds worse than the '94 strike. I'll be surprised if Big Frank makes the list, but if he and Craig Biggio are on it, I might lose faith in every single player in the game.:(:

CLR01
11-08-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm with you on that one. I guess maybe they want to wait until after all the awards are released?:dunno:

Plus they need to give them time to come up with a good sob story excuse.

Lip Man 1
11-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Nothing could EVER taint my joy at 2005.

Lip

FarWestChicago
11-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Part of me wishes this **** never came out. The ending result will be baseball will be ruined for me. The baseball I grew up watching, the players I idolized tainted. Perhaps the only World Series in this city in 100 years tainted. I wish none of this came out and just stayed hidden away in the cellar.:?: I don't get it. You love criminals and cheaters. I would think this would make you happy. You're not making any sense.

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Nothing could EVER taint my joy at 2005.

Lip
What if it came out that 3-4 of the guys were juicing that wouldn't ruin it a little for ya?

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 10:17 PM
:?: I don't get it. You love criminals and cheaters. I would think this would make you happy. You're not making any sense.
Yes I love criminals and cheaters because I choose innocence until it has been proved they are guilty. Isn't that one of the great things about this country?

FarWestChicago
11-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Yes I love criminals and cheaters because I choose innocence until it has been proved they are guilty. Isn't that one of the great things about this country?So you are saying if one of your beloved criminals is convicted you will no longer love said malfeasant? While I find that hard to believe, considering your great affection for all things illegal, I'll have to take you at your word.

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 10:32 PM
So you are saying if one of your beloved criminals is convicted you will no longer love said malfeasant? While I find that hard to believe, considering your great affection for all things illegal, I'll have to take you at your word.
I love how you make me out to be this law breaking outlaw.:D: What illegal things do I love, or least shown love to here?

JermaineDye05
11-08-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Roger Clemens, I really wouldn't be surprised if his name is on that list. I also think a lot of people will be 'disappointed' as there won't be as many big names as are expected.

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Roger Clemens, I really wouldn't be surprised if his name is on that list. I also think a lot of people will be 'disappointed' as there won't be as many big names as are expected.
Maybe thats why Roger isn't pitching this season.

DumpJerry
11-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Starting with 1907, there have been 13 World Series played in "this city." The White Sox were in four of them.

Brian26
11-08-2007, 10:48 PM
for what it's worth,

no teal.

I will be surprised if he is on the list.

I could pick 20 guys from the free agent list that are bigger suspects than Rowand. Start looking at the list rationally. The first thing you should look for are guys with unusual longevity in the game. I'll give you one example- Reggie Sanders.

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Starting with 1907, there have been 13 World Series played in "this city." The White Sox were in four of them.
All right Technical Tom. I'll rephrase it for the "Perfect 1" DumpJerry. I hope the only World Series Win in the last 90 years isn't tainted by steroids. Is that better?

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 10:50 PM
I will be surprised if he is on the list.

I could pick 20 guys from the free agent list that are bigger suspects than Rowand. Start looking at the list rationally. The first thing you should look for are guys with unusual longevity in the game. I'll give you one example- Reggie Sanders.
In that case Julio Franco is a lock.:D:

Brian26
11-08-2007, 10:53 PM
All right Technical Tom. I'll rephrase it for the "Perfect 1" DumpJerry. I hope the only World Series Win in the last 90 years isn't tainted by steroids. Is that better?

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/426/popcornbo0.gif

DumpJerry
11-08-2007, 10:54 PM
None of the lists on this thread are labelled the Perfect 1.

Does it really tax you to have some accuracy in your factual assertions?

Brian26
11-08-2007, 10:56 PM
In that case Julio Franco is a lock.:D:

No. I've read many interviews by Franco. He's an absolute health nut. He eats clean all the time (never has refined foods or anything fried), and he runs and lifts. There's no reason to believe he's taking HGH or steroids. The man will live to be 130 years old.

Vernam
11-08-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm not saying I like it, but as the list of proven offenders grows, the stigma seems to be diminishing. If there really are dozens of suspensions to come, the average fan is going to have trouble remembering exactly who was dirty.

Screw the list of who we "think" will get busted, here's who I want to go down: Clemens, Schilling, and obviously Bonds and Sosa. :cool: The list of who I don't want busted is obvious: All current and former Sox, especially Frank. :praying:

Vernam

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 11:04 PM
None of the lists on this thread are labelled the Perfect 1.

Does it really tax you to have some accuracy in your factual assertions?
Why are you the only mod that needs every post to have every I dotted and every T crossed? If you were with buddies in a bar and they brought up a story and said it happened 10 years ago would you correct him and say actually it was 9 years and 3 months ago? I kinda think you take the MOD a little too seriously. Take a step back, relax and just have fun thats what were here for at least I am. You need a little Voodoo/west/Michelle/Daver in your blood.
Speaking of mods where is JJav? I swear he only posts in Bull threads!
:gulp:

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 11:05 PM
No. I've read many interviews by Franco. He's an absolute health nut. He eats clean all the time (never has refined foods or anything fried), and he runs and lifts. There's no reason to believe he's taking HGH or steroids. The man will live to be 130 years old.
Ya I know maybe I should have tealed it. I was just commenting on the longevity issue. I mean cmon Julio is Mr Longevity.

Brian26
11-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Ya I know maybe I should have tealed it. I was just commenting on the longevity issue. I mean cmon Julio is Mr Longevity.

He's the modern day Satchell Paige or Minnie Minoso. :D:

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 11:08 PM
He's the modern day Satchell Paige or Minnie Minoso. :D:
On his 100th birthday he will challenge Mr Olympia to a lift-off, and win in dominant fashion. As a celebration he will go 3-3 with 2 homers off of Roger Clemens great great great grandson.

DumpJerry
11-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Why are you the only mod that needs every post to have every I dotted and every T crossed? If you were with buddies in a bar and they brought up a story and said it happened 10 years ago would you correct him and say actually it was 9 years and 3 months ago? I kinda think you take the MOD a little too seriously. Take a step back, relax and just have fun thats what were here for at least I am. You need a little Voodoo/west/Michelle/Daver in your blood.
Speaking of mods where is JJav? I swear he only posts in Bull threads!
:gulp:
What the **** are you talking about? If I pointed all the factually incorrect posts I encounter, my post count would be several hundred daily. In my 4+ years of posting here, I think I've pointed out factual errors maybe 5 times. I have observed thousands of factual errors during that time period. Just because you got called out by several people on your post, you want to take it out on me rather than admit your shortcomings? Finally, what does my post about your posting have to do with my being a Mod? I did not accuse you of violating one of the rules here or threaten you with a banning, etc. Any one of the other 8,200+ WSI members have the same ability to point out the error of your ways as I did. Get over yourself.
This is my first time ever using this tag:
:dumbass:

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 11:23 PM
What the **** are you talking about? If I pointed all the factually incorrect posts I encounter, my post count would be several hundred daily. In my 4+ years of posting here, I think I've pointed out factual errors maybe 5 times. I have observed thousands of factual errors during that time period. Just because you got called out by several people on your post, you want to take it out on me rather than admit your shortcomings? Finally, what does my post about your posting have to do with my being a Mod? I did not accuse you of violating one of the rules here or threaten you with a banning, etc. Any one of the other 8,200+ WSI members have the same ability to point out the error of your ways as I did. Get over yourself.
This is my first time ever using this tag:
:dumbass:
It just seems like you target my posts with a redpen or something.

DumpJerry
11-08-2007, 11:29 PM
It just seems like you target my posts with a redpen or something.
Nope. I usually skip over your postings, if you must know the truth.

End of discussion.

ChiSoxFan35
11-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Since we're allowed to throw out names, I'll go with Pettite too. Friends with Clemens, seems to always have little injuries but then comes back strong, still throws over 200 innings regularly, just a baseless guess

FarWestChicago
11-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Yes I love criminals and cheaters because I choose innocence until it has been proved they are guilty. Isn't that one of the great things about this country?

I love how you make me out to be this law breaking outlaw.:D: What illegal things do I love, or least shown love to here?:?: You admit you love criminals and cheaters. You love Michael Vick. I've lost track of all the other dirtbags you have defended. The real question is, what criminal or illegal thing do you not love?

getonbckthr
11-08-2007, 11:49 PM
:?: You admit you love criminals and cheaters. You love Michael Vick. I've lost track of all the other dirtbags you have defended. The real question is, what criminal or illegal thing do you not love?
So there is no more implied teal at WSI?

ChiSoxFan35
11-08-2007, 11:50 PM
I'll also throw in Manny Alexender, Luis Gonzalez, Marcus Giles, Hairston Jr, Javy Lopez, Craig Wilson, Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, Jaret Wright, Victor Zambrano and Ruben Sierra

FarWestChicago
11-08-2007, 11:51 PM
So there is no more implied teal at WSI?That would be depressing. I was proud of your moment of self awareness. :(:

StillMissOzzie
11-09-2007, 01:08 AM
The teams that somehow skate the suspensions would be at a tremendous advantage.

So what's the alternative, Phil? Letting the cheaters and their chemically enhanced skills keep playing and have the advantage instead?

Out them all, suspend them all, I don't care what teams they were on or are on. At this point, I'd rather Proud To Be Your Bud seem overly harsh instead of overly soft.

SMO
:angry::mad:

Sockinchisox
11-09-2007, 01:49 AM
The Globe has retracted their story and corrected it, they had it wrong, it's not that there were for sure 11 FA that had used them, it was no more than 11 FA were asked to talk to Mitchell.

Oblong
11-09-2007, 08:42 AM
I really think this is going to blow over. Whenever I see the names coming out, my reaction is "Is this it? Jose Guillen?"

It won't reach the levels of the early 80s cocaine scandal or the 94 strike. It will be like the NBA ref scandal from the past summer. Big story for a day or two, then that's it.

wdelaney72
11-09-2007, 09:11 AM
for what it's worth,

no teal.

I've been saying the same thing... I think he'll be on the list.

Trav
11-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I really think this is going to blow over. Whenever I see the names coming out, my reaction is "Is this it? Jose Guillen?"

It won't reach the levels of the early 80s cocaine scandal or the 94 strike. It will be like the NBA ref scandal from the past summer. Big story for a day or two, then that's it.

This issue has been around longer than the NBA scandal already. I don't think this is going to blow over or it would have.

spiffie
11-09-2007, 10:58 AM
The report will be huge news, and the media will go insane and everyone will wail and gnash teeth.

But is there one person on this board who is not going to go to Sox games anymore because of this report? Think there will be anyone not going to Wrigley because of this report? As long as baseball is played in the summertime and there's cold beer and kosher dogs, everyone will find their own way to move past this, or justify to themselves that things have changed, or throw up their hands and say they don't give a damn, or whatever little box in the brain they use for things they don't want to deal with and keep taking in something that they love, no matter how pissed off they might be at individuals involved in the playing or administration of the game.

Oblong
11-09-2007, 11:04 AM
This issue has been around longer than the NBA scandal already. I don't think this is going to blow over or it would have.

but I think that's just because there's been leaked info so there's something to talk about. Once the final report comes out I think it'll pass. Yes, the media may hype it up but I don't see the fans really caring about it. It's an easy story for the writers and talk show hosts. Attendance figures will be the same as they have been the last few years.

Martinigirl
11-09-2007, 11:36 AM
This is obviously a scandal, and will leave some sort of scar on baseball, but to equate it with the strike seems a bit much. People had their summer hobby/obsession taken away. It altered how we were able to spend our leisure time, which most people hold precious. And, perhaps more importantly for Sox fans, our dreams of the playoffs and World Series crushed.

This scandal many taint the image of certain players, maybe even a lot of players, but it won't take away the actual game. It may take the glow of some star players and records, but games will still be played, tickets will still be bought and the dreams of October baseball will continue.

RockyMtnSoxFan
11-09-2007, 11:49 AM
I'll also throw in Manny Alexender, Luis Gonzalez, Marcus Giles, Hairston Jr, Javy Lopez, Craig Wilson, Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, Jaret Wright, Victor Zambrano and Ruben Sierra

This might offend some people around here, but I expect to see Jim Thome's name. He was one of the first people who popped into my head when it became obvious that steroids was a widespread epidemic in baseball, back when he was still with the Phillies.

ilsox7
11-09-2007, 11:55 AM
This might offend some people around here, but I expect to see Jim Thome's name. He was one of the first people who popped into my head when it became obvious that steroids was a widespread epidemic in baseball, back when he was still with the Phillies.

He seems to be one of the few players who I would never expect to come up. I'd be utterly shocked, as the vast majority of the baseball world would also be.

Trav
11-09-2007, 02:06 PM

Phillies? How about the Jndians? Have you seen a picture of him playing 3b? He was thinner than Crede. He looked like Ventura did. I always suspected him even though he is a nice guy and all that. It's just like Rowand (has anyone here had a beer with the guy? His entire body screams it). I could be completely off base, so I'm not accusing people like I know it happened. I'm just saying that off all the players to bury your head in the sand for, I'm looking for a guy like Thomas who has always been big.

Vernam
11-09-2007, 03:13 PM
He's the modern day Satchell Paige or Minnie Minoso. :D:I always wondered about those guys. :wink:

Vernam

Brian26
11-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Phillies? How about the Jndians? Have you seen a picture of him playing 3b? He was thinner than Crede. He looked like Ventura did.

You're absolutely clueless.

Trav
11-09-2007, 10:06 PM
You're absolutely clueless.

I'm clueless because I've seen pictures of him skinny?

Brian26
11-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm clueless because I've seen pictures of him skinny?

No, you're clueless because your associating weight gain due to natural aging, in addition to some upper body strength conditioning, with automatic steroid use. Thome's the prototypical guy who drinks a lot of beer and does a lot of benchpressing between the ages of 20 and 40. That doesn't mean he takes steroids or HGH. It has more to do with his metabolism and how much Old Milwaukee he drinks.

drewcifer
11-09-2007, 10:21 PM
No, you're clueless because your associating weight gain due to natural aging, in addition to some upper body strength conditioning, with automatic steroid use. Thome's the prototypical guy who drinks a lot of beer and does a lot of benchpressing between the ages of 20 and 40. That doesn't mean he takes steroids or HGH. It has more to do with his metabolism and how much Old Milwaukee he drinks.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that earlier today. He's a mesomorph type. A barrel chest.

He's just a little older than me, and when I was in my early-mid 20's, I couldn't gain to save my life. All the lifting and eating in the world wouldn't do a thing.

Then I graduated, got married and eventually hit 30 plus a few. Without trying, I'm 6'1 and 230, haven't done ****, and none of my hats from college fit.

Trav
11-10-2007, 02:19 AM

Sucks to have his metabolism in the middle of the most skeptical time in baseball then, huh? I'm not saying that he did them anyways. I'm saying that if you are going to have your world rocked because some athlete bent the rules then I wouldn't put my money on Big Jim.

I wonder if I can find the actual weight gain in terms of time somehow. Do they put hight and weight on baseball cards?

Brian26
11-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Do they put hight and weight on baseball cards?

You'd have to ask Ewok. I don't own any baseball cards. Last time I checked, though, they print social-security-numbers and ATM PINs. At least Topps did. I can't speak for Fleer.

Trav
11-10-2007, 12:35 PM
You'd have to ask Ewok. I don't own any baseball cards. Last time I checked, though, they print social-security-numbers and ATM PINs. At least Topps did. I can't speak for Fleer.

Is height and weight for a professional athlete a secret now?

ilsox7
11-10-2007, 01:15 PM

Very rarely do professional athletes give accurate height and weight measurements.

WhiteSox5187
11-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Very rarely do professional athletes give accurate height and weight measurements.
But you can see a change over the years with some players, for example Sosa with the Sox is listed at 165, in 1996 he is listed as 185 in 1999, 220.

Brian26
11-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Only for the cyborgs.