PDA

View Full Version : Lidge to Philly

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-07-2007, 09:59 PM
5-player deal sends Lidge to the Phillies.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20071107&content_id=2295601&vkey=pr_phi&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi)

DSpivack
11-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Nice deal for Houston.

DumpJerry
11-07-2007, 10:03 PM
So.....he'll now have the taste of Philly Cheesesteak in his mouth.

Hopefully the change of scenery will change things around for him.

FedEx227
11-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Wow they were pretty high on Bourne. Odd move.

Sockinchisox
11-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Philly is one of the worst places for him to go, as soon as he blows a save (if he'll be the closer) Phillies fans will want to kill him.

ChiSoxGirl
11-07-2007, 10:07 PM
So.....he'll now have the taste of Philly Cheesesteak in his mouth.

Hopefully the change of scenery will change things around for him.

http://www.iwu.edu/%7Eiwunews/newsrlse/Joe_Buck.jpg
"Lidge has a new taste...."

oeo
11-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Damn, I wish Kenny would have acquired Bourn. :(:

Sockinchisox
11-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow they were pretty high on Bourne. Odd move.

Especially since now they have no CF/RF, maybe they'll try to re-sign Rowand or go after another CF.

Or maybe a Jose Guillen for RF.

oeo
11-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Especially since now they have no CF/RF, maybe they'll try to re-sign Rowand or go after another CF.

They still have Roberson, although I'm not sure how high they are on him.

It looks like Houston's outfield is set now, though, so that puts them out of the running for Rowand and Hunter.

FedEx227
11-07-2007, 10:14 PM

Yeah really odd. I thought that was the reasoning why Rowand was expendable to them because they had Bourn/Victorino.

upperdeckusc
11-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Damn, I wish Kenny would have acquired Bourn. :(:

he did look like he had some promise. i dunno about his OF defense, but from his stats looked like a Jerry Owens deluxe, with a little better avg and obp. looks like they also got an older chris carter-like 1b out of it too. pretty solid return for houston.

PalehosePlanet
11-07-2007, 10:27 PM
he did look like he had some promise. i dunno about his OF defense, but from his stats looked like a Jerry Owens deluxe, with a little better avg and obp. looks like they also got an older chris carter-like 1b out of it too. pretty solid return for houston.

Yeah, it was a pretty good return, but their bullpen just got significantly worse, didn't it? I don't like Wheeler or Qualls as a closer. Maybe they'll go after Cordero?

Brian26
11-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Houston was a possible suitor for Rowand, so this increases the chances ARow returns to the Cell.

upperdeckusc
11-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Houston was a possible suitor for Rowand, so this increases the chances ARow returns to the Cell.

would rowand play right or would they move pence over to right?

getonbckthr
11-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Yeah, it was a pretty good return, but their bullpen just got significantly worse, didn't it? I don't like Wheeler or Qualls as a closer. Maybe they'll go after Cordero?
I think I heard that Houston is set on offering Cordero a big contract.
:puke:

PalehosePlanet
11-07-2007, 10:32 PM
would rowand play right or would they move pence over to right?

Their plan was/is to move Pence to a corner OF position if they are/were able to acquire a true CF. The fall-back option is that he stays in center.

whitesoxfan1986
11-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Damn, I was hoping a Crede for Bourn deal was in the works. It would've made sense for both teams.

thedudeabides
11-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Philly is one of the worst places for him to go, as soon as he blows a save (if he'll be the closer) Phillies fans will want to kill him.

Exactly what I was thinking. His head hasn't been right since Puhols hit that ball 500 yards.

FireMariotti
11-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. His head hasn't been right since Puhols hit that ball 500 yards.

Maybe he's going to Philly to find out where that ball landed.

cburns
11-08-2007, 12:29 AM
I don't like Wheeler or Qualls as a closer.

I believe they traded Wheeler to Tampa Bay last season.

russ99
11-08-2007, 08:52 AM

New Astros GM Ed Wade has already said that they'll make a strong bid to get Scott Linebrink back in an Astros uniform, and if they do, he'll close.

Besides, Chad Qualls can close if need be, they have a few up and coming potential set-up guys, new acquisition Geary is a middle reliever, and Patton can be a good reliever if he misses out of a SP job. Dan Wheeler was dealt to Tampa for Ty Wigginton.

Nice deal for the Astros, especially since it's a go young-cut payroll rebuilding type deal that they need to make. Looks like OF is set, and with a kid like Bourn in CF, I think they'll keep Luke Scott, since they'll need 4 good outfielders at times. Bruntlett is a super-sub speedy pinch hitter, and I suspect he'll do well in Philly.

I also expect this to mean the Astros will take their FA dollars allocated for CF and use it on the #2 starter that they desperately need.