PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen "Priority" This Off Season

Lip Man 1
11-07-2007, 05:56 PM
So says Scott Merkin on White Sox. com. (Talks with Don Cooper and Kenny)

'Pen to be White Sox main focus in offseason (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071105&content_id=2292974&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Lip

MetroPD
11-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Yeah we just spent $4.5 million on Uribe, it really sounds like bullpen is a priority.......

NorthSideSox72
11-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Yeah we just spent $4.5 million on Uribe, it really sounds like bullpen is a priority.......
Yeah, and how about that sky being blue, but my elbow hurts?

:dunno:

I don't see the connection. They do something at one weak spot, therefore they won't do it at another?

oeo
11-07-2007, 06:49 PM

Hmm...so I guess we're just supposed to go into 2008 with a bunch of relievers? :?:

MetroPD
11-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah you guys are right that 4.5 was a well made investment, what was I thinking? Its not like Reinsdorf has a history of pinching pennies.

BTW Priority must have a different meaning in your dictionary.

Foulke You
11-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Nobody out of the free agent crop of bullpen pitchers is really a "can't miss" signing other than Mariano Rivera and he likely wants to be a closer and will command $10 million per year. It seems more and more than KW might have to make a trade to get the bullpen help he requires.

balke
11-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Well this is pretty obvious. But everyone that thinks Rivera is coming here, get real. Jenks is the closer, no closer will take that role, and no closer will come here to be the set-up man.

Sox might only need 1-2 arms. That could be afforded with a trade for a guy like Crede. Bullpen arms are such a chance and short lived thing, that I think any smart team would snag Crede for a couple arms.

If arms can be bought, all the better. I just don't know what arms are for sale that Kenny would want.

oeo
11-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah you guys are right that 4.5 was a well made investment, what was I thinking? Its not like Reinsdorf has a history of pinching pennies.
So who do you want playing SS next year? Andy Gonzalez?

A decision needed to be made, and they couldn't make a deal for a SS before today. And Jerry Reinsdorf is spending in the top tier of the majors nowadays, so to call him a penny pincher is ridiculous.

BTW Priority must have a different meaning in your dictionary.Uribe was obviously a priority first, because a decision had to be made on him today.

BTW, it's only November 7th.

EndemicSox
11-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Kerry Wood?

Looked like a stud down the stretch...

ilsox7
11-07-2007, 07:22 PM

It's November 7 and you're already saying the bullpen is not a priority? Maybe you should wait until more than 2 weeks of the off season have gone by.

chisox77
11-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Kerry Wood would not be a bad idea . . . think about it.

:cool:

The Immigrant
11-07-2007, 07:34 PM
The bullpen was a priority last offseason too. That plan didn't turn out so well.

Daver
11-07-2007, 07:37 PM
It's November 7 and you're already saying the bullpen is not a priority? Maybe you should wait until more than 2 weeks of the off season have gone by.

At least wait till FA negotiations can start, that's still a week away.

oeo
11-07-2007, 07:38 PM
The bullpen was a priority last offseason too. That plan didn't turn out so well.

Who said he was going to use the same plan? It would surprise the hell out of me if he did, and as big of a supporter I am of KW, he should be fired if he did.

DumpJerry
11-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Kerry Wood?

Kerry Wood would not be a bad idea . . . think about it.

:cool:
You're probably right. I read that the Cubs will probably go all-out to sign him. I think he'll give the Cubs preferential treatment since they have been so patient with him. I've also read that the Cubs are not too happy with some guy named Prior.......(all of this has been in the Tribune the past few days)

PalehosePlanet
11-07-2007, 07:50 PM
We should sign Scott Linebrink within the first week of free agency. My guess is it'll take 3/15 to reel him in. We need a rock solid right handed set-up man; he's the guy.

He's a career NL'er which AL hitters have not seen and my guess is he will have similar success to Hermanson's '05 (another career NL'er whom the AL hadn't seen.)

If we sign him the bullpen is instantly better. I think it would be way to hard to try and pry young studs like Broxton (LA) or Chamberlain (NYY) from their respective teams.

Also in the wishful X-Mas comes early scenario: If we can pry Cabrerra from Florida, maybe they can throw in up-and-comer Matt Lindstrom.

hi im skot
11-07-2007, 08:00 PM

Give me a break. One step at a time.

The Immigrant
11-07-2007, 08:03 PM
We should sign Scott Linebrink within the first week of free agency. My guess is it'll take 3/15 to reel him in. We need a rock solid right handed set-up man; he's the guy.

I listened to at least a half dozen games Linebrink blew for the Brewers down the stretch last season. They should build him a shrine at Harry Caray's.

hi im skot
11-07-2007, 08:12 PM

:rolling:

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Kerry Wood?

No way, the last Cub relievers we brought in (Aardsma & technically Sisco) didn't turn out so good.

Corlose 15
11-07-2007, 10:51 PM
No way, the last Cub relievers we brought in (Aardsma & technically Sisco) didn't turn out so good.

Well that seals it.:rolleyes:

Brian26
11-07-2007, 10:52 PM
wow

https://secure.maiden-uk.com/assets/directory/76/smallrt_armchair.jpg

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/426/popcornbo0.gif

SBSoxFan
11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I listened to at least a half dozen games Linebrink blew for the Brewers down the stretch last season. They should build him a shrine at Harry Caray's.

Yep. He wasn't rock solid for the Brewers. More like papier-mache solid.

nevr say dye sox
11-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Bullpen a priority? The sox just let Philly have Brad Lidge for nothing. How does KW allow this? Imagine a back end of the bullpen with Thorton, Lidge, and Jenks. You guys might think differently but Lidge will turn things around, instead we have Wassweman. Tell KW to come back in from the pool and talk to somebody about making his crap team better.:angry:

soxinem1
11-08-2007, 10:46 AM

Pay $5 million per season for a journeyman set up guy?

I like Linebrink too, but not at that price. Besides, he did his best to put two teams out of pennant races last year. How many relievers can say that?

I think Luis Vizcaino can be brought back for a better price, with better results.

rdivaldi
11-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Bullpen a priority? The sox just let Philly have Brad Lidge for nothing. How does KW allow this? Imagine a back end of the bullpen with Thorton, Lidge, and Jenks. You guys might think differently but Lidge will turn things around, instead we have Wassweman. Tell KW to come back in from the pool and talk to somebody about making his crap team better.:angry:

Get off the ledge it's November 8th for crying out loud. Lidge has an equal chance of wilting under the boos in Philly as succeeding.

Newbee hysteria, gotta love it...

roylestillman
11-08-2007, 11:00 AM
If there's one thing I've learned its not to pay attention to these early post season "leaked" rumors of trades and free agent signings. I think the real priorities are kept under wraps so as to not inflate the market. Not to pass judgment on the trades, but who saw the McCarthy or Garcia deals this time last year. The bullpen deal will come at us some early Saturday morning in January.

veeter
11-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Bullpen a priority? The sox just let Philly have Brad Lidge for nothing. How does KW allow this? Imagine a back end of the bullpen with Thorton, Lidge, and Jenks. You guys might think differently but Lidge will turn things around, instead we have Wassweman. Tell KW to come back in from the pool and talk to somebody about making his crap team better.:angry:And what do you have against Wasserman? The fact that he came up and did a great job last year? Watch that kid pitch, there's a lot going on between his ears. IMO he will be a strength in the pen next year.

drewcifer
11-08-2007, 11:12 AM

I like Linebrink too, but not at that price. Besides, he did his best to put two teams out of pennant races last year. How many relievers can say that?

I think Luis Vizcaino can be brought back for a better price, with better results.

Vizcaino is even more of a journeyman and we have enough trouble with the BP dealing with inherited runners, without a 1.5 WHIP reliever coming in. He may come cheaper, but certainly not better.

balke
11-08-2007, 11:16 AM

haha, it definitely wasn't for nothing. Lidge is a closer, and he won't go somewhere without being a closer. He also isn't good enough to come in and take Jenks' job.

russ99
11-08-2007, 11:25 AM

He's a career NL'er which AL hitters have not seen and my guess is he will have similar success to Hermanson's '05 (another career NL'er whom the AL hadn't seen.)

If we sign him the bullpen is instantly better. I think it would be way to hard to try and pry young studs like Broxton (LA) or Chamberlain (NYY) from their respective teams.

Also in the wishful X-Mas comes early scenario: If we can pry Cabrerra from Florida, maybe they can throw in up-and-comer Matt Lindstrom.

I agree with one thing in that post, we need a rock solid right-handed setup guy. We really haven't had one since 2005 and MacDougal is a poor substitute. Kenny tried to grab a bunch of retreads last offseason and did nothing to fix it this season.

Unfortunately, neither Linebrink or Cordero are that guy, since both will be trying to sign for closer jobs. Despite Linebrink's performance down the stretch with the Brewers, he's a very good reliever and will close somewhere, maybe Houston now that they traded Lidge.

voodoochile
11-08-2007, 12:30 PM

What history of pinching pennies? The one where the Sox spent close to $100M each of the past few seasons?

The Uribe decision was one that was made under a time crunch with no other better options readily available. It has nothing at all to do with the bullpen decisions to come.

Rockabilly
11-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Do you think KW will have any interest in signing Eric Gagne.. I also like to see KW go out and make a trade for Chad Cordero

gregory18n
11-08-2007, 12:38 PM
I'd go after Mike Timlin

SBSoxFan
11-08-2007, 01:38 PM

I've been thinking about Vizcaino too. He may not be great, but he's unheralded and consistent.

champagne030
11-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Lidge is a FA next year due to get 5-6M in arbitration, had a shaky year again, and the Astros are rebuilding. Different scenario altogether, and considering the Astros needs, they made a great trade.

:?: Really? It seems like a salary dump to me. I like Owens better than Bourn and that's not a complement to Owens. I think the Phillies got a steal. They essentially got a #2 NL starter for $5-6M/yr by putting Lidge at closer and Myers back into the rotation.

thedudeabides
11-08-2007, 02:32 PM
:?: Really? It seems like a salary dump to me. I like Owens better than Bourn and that's not a complement to Owens. I think the Phillies got a steal. They essentially got a #2 NL starter for $5-6M/yr by putting Lidge at closer and Myers back into the rotation.

I can't believe how many people around here think that Lidge is still good. He has been terrible for two years now. He will be a time bomb in Philly.

Dan Mega
11-08-2007, 11:24 PM

I believe if you compare gross revenue versus payroll spent for all of the MLB teams, the White Sox are near the top or could very well be at the top. There is no penny pinching- Jerry has said he would spend the money if they made more and he kept his promise (see payroll increases, ballpark upgrades, etc).

Domeshot17
11-08-2007, 11:56 PM
I can't believe how many people around here think that Lidge is still good. He has been terrible for two years now. He will be a time bomb in Philly.

Define terrible?

3.36 era 1.25 whip 3:1 k:BB .219 opponents BA.

If the philly fans get on him he could struggle, but he wasn't half bad last year. I would take him on the Sox in a second but he wants to close.

chisoxfanatic
11-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Kerry Wood?

Only if he doesn't have another one of his annual freak injuries. He's good for a couple as a middle-relief pitcher, which is where the pen was incredibly weak virtually all last season. I want to see at least three new (and quality) faces next year.

russ99
11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Define terrible?

3.36 era 1.25 whip 3:1 k:BB .219 opponents BA.

If the philly fans get on him he could struggle, but he wasn't half bad last year. I would take him on the Sox in a second but he wants to close.

How many blown saves did he have and how many times did he lose his closer role in the last two seasons?? I watched a lot of Astros games, and in pressure situations he was horrible, like giving up two leadoff walks with a 1 run lead. I really think the Astros stuck with him so they could move him.

Something tells me the Phillies will be less forgiving. I hope he turns it around, but there's something about a closer giving up a big homer in the playoffs, they're never the same.

As for the Astros, it was a salary dump. They don't really need a $6M closer and a $10M center fielder, and as a rebuilding team they can give Bourn the 500 ABs he needs to develop into a good lead-off hitter, instead of stuck behind Rowand and Victorino in Philly. Geary's a decent middle guy and Costanzo can develop into a Branyan-like basher and gives the Astros a decent minor-league prospect for their barren system.

upperdeckusc
11-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I'd go after Mike Timlin

that is also a guy i had in mind. has a pretty good sinker, perfect for the cell, and a veteran presence. whats his contract status? did the team have an option on him? or is he a FA?

gregory18n
11-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I think he's a free agent. I love the attitude he brings to the mound!

thedudeabides
11-09-2007, 05:00 PM
In Peter Gammons blog today, he mentions the Sox and Astros discussed a Chad Qualls for Ryan Sweeney deal, before the Astros acquired Bourne.

JB98
11-09-2007, 11:47 PM
I'd go after Mike Timlin

I'll go along with this. Timlin is getting up there, but he'd probably come reasonably priced. One-year deal with an option, maybe. And he'd be a much-needed veteran presence.

One of KW's errors last year was putting so many young guys in the bullpen. Young guys tend to be erratic, and we needed a guy in middle relief who could show consistency.

In conclusion, I think it would be insane to give Scott Linebrink $5 million a year.

soxfanreggie
11-10-2007, 01:31 PM
3 years, $15 million...for Linebrink...I would be against that, but you're entitled to your opinion.