PDA

View Full Version : 2B or CF?

pmck003
11-07-2007, 01:29 PM
If the Sox can only upgrade one of the postitions, which one would you choose?

Personally, I would go at 2B (Don't know much about Richars potential; would change my mind if I thought he could be the real deal).

What about Luis Castillo? I just wonder why we haven't heard his name at all. Seems to be a good fit for what we want - decent speed (I dunno if there are many sb left in him, but he can run the bases well), good d and could help at the top of the order. Kazuo Matsui is possible as well. Personally, I see either of these guys helping the lineup just as much as Hunter since they can bat at the top, and they would be cheaper. Long-term, they are all 32 years old.

It would be a gamble to leave CF up to Owens, but I do think they could give Anderson another shot if both parties can act professionally. This would only be OK if we had decent bats at both 3B and LF - Uribe and Owens/Anderson could be a big hole at the bottom of the lineup.

Rocky Soprano
11-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Richar is going to be just fine at 2nd.

They have to upgrade at CF.

chisoxmike
11-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Center Field is a absolute must upgrade. Along with the bullpen.

veeter
11-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Richar is going to be really good.

hi im skot
11-07-2007, 03:20 PM
CF.

Richar is going to be solid.

munchman33
11-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Even if the Sox aren't sold on Richar, upgrading 2B isn't a priority. There's going to be plenty of decent 2B without jobs when all is said and done. Last year, some decent guys had to take backup positions. We could probably get a guy worthy of starting pretty cheap.

oeo
11-07-2007, 03:25 PM
If the Sox can only upgrade one of the postitions, which one would you choose?

Personally, I would go at 2B (Don't know much about Richars potential; would change my mind if I thought he could be the real deal).

What about Luis Castillo? I just wonder why we haven't heard his name at all. Seems to be a good fit for what we want - decent speed (I dunno if there are many sb left in him, but he can run the bases well), good d and could help at the top of the order. Kazuo Matsui is possible as well. Personally, I see either of these guys helping the lineup just as much as Hunter since they can bat at the top, and they would be cheaper. Long-term, they are all 32 years old.

It would be a gamble to leave CF up to Owens, but I do think they could give Anderson another shot if both parties can act professionally. This would only be OK if we had decent bats at both 3B and LF - Uribe and Owens/Anderson could be a big hole at the bottom of the lineup.

What did Owens do last year to make you think he has a higher potential than Richar?

I'll post these stats again: in September (his second month in the big leagues), Richar hit .260 with 6 doubles, 2 triples, and 3 homeruns. Meanwhile, Jerry Owens was hitting slapshot singles.

chisoxmike
11-07-2007, 03:27 PM
What did Owens do last year to make you think he has a higher potential than Richar?

I'll post these stats again: in September (his second month in the big leagues), Richar hit .260 with 6 doubles, 2 triples, and 3 homeruns. Meanwhile, Jerry Owens was hitting slapshot singles.

Wow, oeo has turned in his Jerry Owens fan club card. :redneck

oeo
11-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Wow, oeo has turned in his Jerry Owens fan club card. :redneck

Yeah, back in June after his first stint. I supported him when he first came up because I thought he deserved a shot, but he's done nothing to impress me.

WhiteSox5187
11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I can tolerate Richar at second, he didn't look overmatched there this year and given a full year, he might be able to produce...Jerry Owens however, is not the answer to CF. We MUST upgrade there...and hopefully at short.

pmck003
11-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Please read and you'll see that I said I don't know much about Richar;I even said I would change my viewpoint with more info. My thought is it would be much easier/cheaper to upgrade 2B and, IMO we still have two candidates to try CF instead of one (Richar) at 2B.

oeo
11-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Please read and you'll see that I said I don't know much about Richar;I even said I would change my viewpoint with more info. My thought is it would be much easier/cheaper to upgrade 2B and, IMO we still have two candidates to try CF instead of one (Richar) at 2B.

I did read it. It's not difficult to do a Google search to find out some information about the guy, though.

Here's his day-by-day stats: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=28838
Here's a scouting report from a couple years ago: http://diamondbacks.scout.com/2/494556.html

pmck003
11-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I did read it. It's not difficult to do a Google search to find out some information about the guy, though.

Well, if I just look at stats I'd say Richar stinks. Maybe I should see what mlbrumors.com says about him

oeo
11-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Well, if I just look at stats I'd say Richar stinks.

There's more than just stats out there. And besides, look at his September statistics...they were not half bad. It was his second month in the league, and he didn't stink.

pmck003
11-07-2007, 03:46 PM
There's more than just stats out there. And besides, look at his September statistics...they were not half bad. It was his second month in the league, and he didn't stink.

Thats what I was implying- thank you for the article; interesting that he was originally a ss.

getonbckthr
11-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Without going crazy on me, and this is nothing against Richar, why is he getting a pass and not Owens?

hi im skot
11-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Without going crazy on me, and this is nothing against Richar, why is he getting a pass and not Owens?

I know what you mean. I think Richar looked very good in a short span. And though the majority of WSI disagrees with me, I think Owens has plenty of potential himself.

I dunno...I guess I should just get used to doing this:

:duck:

balke
11-07-2007, 04:16 PM

Compare Owens #'s and D with other CFers in the MLB and he's at the bottom. Compare Richar to 2Bman in the same manner and he's somewhere in the middle bottom. I think with the power Richar showed and just that he looks like he can get better has a lot of people on his side. Most everyone knows if Owens gets a leg injury he's worthless, and as it is his hitting probably won't be better than that.

It could all be reverse though, who knows? Its baseball. But right now Richar looks more the baseball player who can progress and fill his position without question.

oeo
11-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Richar showed actual offensive potential. Sorry, but the singles Owens was hitting, just are not cutting it. Until he starts to hit the ball for more doubles/triples, I don't think he's ever going to be a starter (especially not our leadoff hitter).

Richar is a tough out, he's got good pop, solid defense, and excellent speed.

OTOH, Owens is a slap-hitting singles hitter, has no pop, and isn't much of a CF'er nor does he do much to help you in the corners offensively. The one thing he gives you is the ability to steal bags, which makes him a good corner outfield defensive replacement, and pinch runner.

veeter
11-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Without going crazy on me, and this is nothing against Richar, why is he getting a pass and not Owens?I think it's because Richar is 22 and Owens is almost 27. Much more upside for Richar.

russ99
11-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Also, Richar has shown he can be an everyday defensive option at 2B regardless of his hitting.

Huisj
11-08-2007, 11:05 AM
I think it's because Richar is 22 and Owens is almost 27. Much more upside for Richar.

Richar is 24. He'll be 25 in June next season.

Also (unrelated to the age comment), it's interesting that that D'backs article says that Richar can flat out fly except that he'd been slowed a little my minor injuries. He really hasn't stolen many bases though in the last few years at all. Did those injuries do more to his speed that they first thought, or is he just not much of a base stealer?

FedEx227
11-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Richar is 24. He'll be 25 in June next season.

Also (unrelated to the age comment), it's interesting that that D'backs article says that Richar can flat out fly except that he'd been slowed a little my minor injuries. He really hasn't stolen many bases though in the last few years at all. Did those injuries do more to his speed that they first thought, or is he just not much of a base stealer?

I guess with him he doesn't quite have the instincts right?

There are plenty guys in the league including the fastest in the league Joey Gathright, that aren't particular good base stealers.

Wish we still had Tim Raines to coach Richar, that would be a nice lil combo.

southsideirish71
11-08-2007, 01:15 PM
The sox burned one of their better position prospects in Aaron Cunningham to get Richar. They also dumped Iguchi for nothing to let him play. All that points to him getting every opportunity to play next year. They may platoon him, to give him breaks against tough lefties. Maybe platoon him with Ozuna. But they didnt make that trade, and burn that prospect only to burry him less than a year later. People need to realize that we need to balance some of the high priced guys with some league minimum guys or we are in trouble. We cannot afford to keep jacking up the payroll. You need some salary relief somewhere.

KRS1
11-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Why Richar is getting a pass and Owens isn't to me.

Richar has a nice short compact swing with strong and quick hands through the zone. I really like his swing in case you can't tell. Nice line-drive producing angle and like I said, his hands show very good speed and strength through the ball. He needs to work on his pitch selection because he has a bit of a problem taking some good hitters pitchers, but that can be attributed to his willingness to work the count, which is a good thing.

Owens at times(his hr for example) has a reasonably to the point swing, but a lot of times he looks absolutely terribly long and loopy with the bat. Some(a good portion) of the balls he waved at inside and never even had a chance at because his bat path is around the ball rather than straight to it. I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like he has two totally different swings out there sometimes.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Owens getting a shot at batting 9th IF we acquired a couple impact guys for higher up in the lineup(leadoff, second until Richar shows he can handle that spot, anywhere between), at key positions like CF and SS.