PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik?

spiffie
11-07-2007, 12:07 PM
I hadn't thought about him until his name came up in the Uribe thread, but I wonder if the Sox might not try to bring him back next year. If they were to resign him for about the same money he made last year, it would mean that they only have CF left to fill for next year, which might make a Hunter/Rowand acquisition more fiscally viable. And I'm sure they have to at least think to themselves a little bit "just imagine if he stays healthy this year."

Anyone else think Pods will be back roaming LF on Opening Day 2008?

chisoxmike
11-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I think Pods time in a White Sox uniform is over.

voodoochile
11-07-2007, 12:12 PM

I agree and if they sign him expecting him to be a regular contributor next season without a serious backup plan, it's a bad decision, IMO.

I suppose Owens could be that BU plan if they sign Hunter or someone else to play CF.

balke
11-07-2007, 12:18 PM
If he would take less than 5 mil to come back, I'd like to see him out there. If there's a solid CFer, and Crede is gone from 3B duties via trade, it could work out well to have him in LF to start, and Owens backing him up. As it is now, the Sox don't have a leadoff hitter if he's gone.

Garland + Crede could probably net something pretty for the Sox if they wanted to deal. Maybe Kenny can surpise the Sox with a great LFer and CFer. Maybe they can get a good 3Bman and CFer and put Fields in LF. The possibilities are kinda endless right now. No matter what, the Sox need a leadoff hitter with these power hitters.

cbotnyse
11-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Is Tory Hunter still a possiblity?

ZombieRob
11-07-2007, 12:24 PM
If he is ,who leadsoff?If they do sign him ,doesn't that basically assure Pods will be back or Crede or Fields traded?

chisoxmike
11-07-2007, 12:24 PM

According to ESPN, they have or will offer Hunter a 5 year $75 million contract.

:dunno:

SBSoxFan
11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
If he would take less than 5 mil to come back, I'd like to see him out there. If there's a solid CFer, and Crede is gone from 3B duties via trade, it could work out well to have him in LF to start, and Owens backing him up. As it is now, the Sox don't have a leadoff hitter if he's gone.

You're right. If the medical staff thinks he can stay healthy, it would not surprise me at all to see Pods back in LF. Most scenarios, however, point to Crede being gone.

ZombieRob
11-07-2007, 12:28 PM
According to ESPN, they have or will offer Hunter a 5 year $75 million contract.

:dunno:
That would be a solid signing.if thats done,then the leadoff position definitely comes from L.F

WhiteSox5187
11-07-2007, 12:48 PM
That would be a solid signing.if thats done,then the leadoff position definitely comes from L.F
Where would you have Hunter bat then? I'm willing to take a gamble on Pods, although all signs certainly suggest that he is incapable of staying healthy year round, but it has to be for a very cheap deal. No more than two million.

hi im skot
11-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Please no more Podsednik.

ZombieRob
11-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Where would you have Hunter bat then? I'm willing to take a gamble on Pods, although all signs certainly suggest that he is incapable of staying healthy year round, but it has to be for a very cheap deal. No more than two million.
I would bad Hunter 3rd.But what I'm trying to say is ,if they do sign Hunter,doesn't the leadoff spot come out of leftfield and basically make Crede expendable?And if K.W does pull the trigger on the Cabrera trade and sign Hunter.Doesn't that also spell the end of Konerko?Which i doubt because Konerko is beloved in the Sox organization.

PicktoCLick72
11-07-2007, 02:44 PM
As great as has been at times, resigning Pods does not put us in the best posistion to win next year. He needs to go.

russ99
11-07-2007, 03:44 PM
As a huge Pods fan (I have a Pods road jersey), I think he's been a heck of a player for us, and his homer in the Series was one of my top 5 Sox highlights of all time.

However, I think it's better for both him and the Sox if he's non-tendered, even though it will be sad to see him leave the south side.

The Sox need a younger LF who's a better hitter and fielder and without major injury concerns. I also think our leadoff man next year will be a new middle infielder. Pods is not a good fielder with a weak arm and he'd be a poor candidate for the bench or a platoon role, especially at his salary.

IMO, Pods didn't really get a fair shake from Ozzie after being injured the first time last season, and I think his mental outlook changed because of it. A change of scenery will do him good.

I hope that he signs with an NL team, so that he doesn't come back to haunt the Sox so much...

hi im skot
11-07-2007, 03:56 PM
IMO, Pods didn't really get a fair shake from Ozzie after being injured the first time last season, and I think his mental outlook changed because of it. A change of scenery will do him good.

I'm assuming you are referring to 2006? Or 2007? I can't keep track of all of his injuries.

I am forever grateful for his performance in 2005, but his injury problems have gotten old. I look forward to seeing Podsednik mope around somewhere else.

russ99
11-07-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm assuming you are referring to 2006? Or 2007? I can't keep track of all of his injuries.

I am forever grateful for his performance in 2005, but his injury problems have gotten old. I look forward to seeing Podsednik mope around somewhere else.

2007. Erstad got a whole lot more chances to hit after his injury than Pods did after his. Ozzie's comments didn't help either. I understand giving Owens a shot to leadoff, but Pods rarely played and when he did, he hit 8th or 9th. He wasn't given a chance to win his leadoff job back, and I think that mentally affected him.

As for your other comment, we'll see what you say when Pods has 40+ SB this season with a team that will give him a chance at an everyday job... I don't want to make this a negative-fest, but even the most ardent Pods-hater has to appreciate what he did for us in 2005.

I believe that he still can be that kind of player. There's such a premium on speed guys in MLB, that I'm sure some GMs will feel the same.

HaroMaster87
11-07-2007, 07:00 PM
2007. Erstad got a whole lot more chances to hit after his injury than Pods did after his. Ozzie's comments didn't help either. I understand giving Owens a shot to leadoff, but Pods rarely played and when he did, he hit 8th or 9th. He wasn't given a chance to win his leadoff job back, and I think that mentally affected him.

As for your other comment, we'll see what you say when Pods has 40+ SB this season with a team that will give him a chance at an everyday job... I don't want to make this a negative-fest, but even the most ardent Pods-hater has to appreciate what he did for us in 2005.

I believe that he still can be that kind of player. There's such a premium on speed guys in MLB, that I'm sure some GMs will feel the same.

Sorry but I've seen ENOUGH of this guy getting hurt. That was the problem going into last year, we were counting on too many guys with injury historys (Crede, Pods, Erstad) to stay healthy all year. You CANT have 3 projected starters who are injury prone and expect to make it through a 162 game season and of course we all know what happened.

I could see MAYBE if the guy was a career .300 hitter and a gold-glover but not this guy. Pods needs to take his feeble body somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.

hi im skot
11-07-2007, 07:09 PM

Podsednik has been a headcase since 2006. I'm sure I wasn't the only one sick of watching him pout after a strikeout or weakly-hit ground ball.

Essentially, the Sox were out of it by July. Why NOT give Owens a shot at leading off? When you're stuck in the middle of a hopeless season, you've gotta give the prospects a chance to show what they can do. I agree that Erstad saw more playing time than he should have, but when you've got two outfielders made of glass on your team, I guess you have to do a whole lot of platooning.

Look, I'd absolutely love to see Pods come back strong in 2008. I think he's a good guy who did a lot of great things for us in 2005. However, I'm sick to death of relying on him to come back strong and play an entire season without a trip to the DL.

oeo
11-07-2007, 07:14 PM

That likely won't happen. Pods is as fragile as glass, which is why he won't be returning next year.

CLR01
11-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Sure, why not. Why try to improve them team when you can throw your hands up, claim he was the best available and pray that history doesn't repeat itself, again. Good thing the Sox wouldn't do something like that...

DumpJerry
11-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I think that is what Ozzie and 98% of the White Sox fab base said last year after he tweaked one of his muscles in September last year. The Sox could have put him on the DL at the timee, but that would have ended his season.

I agree with the Pod supporters that he does provide a spark when healthy. The problem is that he is healthy about as often as Zambrano behaves in a civilized manner while pitching a game.

Except for the first half of 2005, Pods has been playing with one injury or another.

BV2005
11-08-2007, 12:17 AM
I hope he's back next year. If he gets hurt again than we can bring up Owens, Sweeney, or heck even Anderson (is he is still with the team).

hi im skot
11-08-2007, 08:12 AM
I hope he's back next year. When he gets hurt again we're screwed.

Fixed it for you.

balke
11-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Jerry Owens isn't making any money. I'd like to see depth in the OF. Ultimately I think the Sox would be best off if they had Crede, Pods, and a great CFer via free agency. Fields and Owens are the rotating subs in the OF and Crede at 3B. Ozzie subs guys so much, it'd be almost identical to one of them starting.

See how the season goes with Pods, if he goes down, so what? You have 2 young guys backing him up that could jump in for cheap. Sox need a leadoff hitter next season. Pods is the best choice if, when, healthy. So him "never being healthy" doesn't really matter. Sign him cheap and add depth to this team.

Sargeant79
11-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Pods and Owens are very similar players. Both are extremely fast. However, Owens is cheaper, not as prone to injury, and you could make a good argument that he is a better defensive player already. Not to mention, he can play CF at least adequately. If one of them makes the team, say as a 4th outfielder, it would be Owens.

ZombieRob
11-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Why not bring back the whole 2005 team?K.W has a plan and we must trust him.

palehozenychicty
11-08-2007, 10:05 AM
When he played, the Sox seemed to play a lot better. The problem was that he didn't play enough. Goodbye Pods.

russ99
11-08-2007, 10:18 AM
I was just stating my case as to why I think Scott will do well with a new team, not making a case for him to be brought back. It's better for both him and the Sox if he's non-tendered, since there's too much "injury prone" baggage on him here, and he'll get a fresh start and a better chance to play elsewhere.

As other posters have said, Owens is a much better candidate for our bench speed guy, especially with his contract, and I'm sure Kenny will acquire a new LF (and sign Hunter/Rowand) before the offseason is done.

The Dude
11-08-2007, 10:43 AM

I sure as ****ing hell hope so! If he is in LF next season, I am going to somehow find KW and give him a piece of my mind.

chisoxmike
11-08-2007, 10:55 AM
I sure as ****ing hell hope so! If he is in LF next season, I am going to somehow find KW and give him a piece of my mind.

I think he's as good as gone, Joe.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-09-2007, 06:48 AM

Does anyone know KW's e-mail address? People know Ozzie's, but you can't find a way to e-mail anyone in the Sox organization off the team's website.

CLR01
11-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Does anyone know KW's e-mail address? People know Ozzie's, but you can't find a way to e-mail anyone in the Sox organization off the team's website.

It probably wouldn't be all that difficult to try and guess one. I seriously doubt he is rolling with a kdubz22@_____.com or a makin'umy*****@inyourhead.net.

hi im skot
11-09-2007, 08:01 AM

soxd00d7@hotmail.com I think.

spiffie
11-09-2007, 09:02 AM
KW's email address is chuck@norris.com

upperdeckusc
11-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Jerry Owens isn't making any money. I'd like to see depth in the OF. Ultimately I think the Sox would be best off if they had Crede, Pods, and a great CFer via free agency. Fields and Owens are the rotating subs in the OF and Crede at 3B. Ozzie subs guys so much, it'd be almost identical to one of them starting.

See how the season goes with Pods, if he goes down, so what? You have 2 young guys backing him up that could jump in for cheap. Sox need a leadoff hitter next season. Pods is the best choice if, when, healthy. So him "never being healthy" doesn't really matter. Sign him cheap and add depth to this team.

yea, whats another 3-4 million thrown out the window, right?

tick53
11-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Scott Podsednik was a huge part of the WS Sox. We'll never forget him but now the time has come to say so long.

Frater Perdurabo
11-10-2007, 11:13 AM
I think it would be great if he signed for a small contract with the intention of being a backup, and then shot out of the gate, stealing bases like a madman like he did in 2005.

I'll say it again, if Pods and Ozuna are healthy, they would make a solid LF and leadoff platoon.

drewcifer
11-10-2007, 11:30 AM
I'll say it again, if Pods and Ozuna are healthy, they would make a solid LF and leadoff platoon.

I really like Ozuna's bat off the bench, but he still scares the hell out of me when he's in the outfield.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-10-2007, 11:39 AM
soxd00d7@hotmail.com I think.

Thanks. I'll give that a try sometime.

soxfanreggie
11-10-2007, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't mind Pods to a small contract, like was suggested. If he's a back-up/platoon, he would be easier to replace than if he was the guy. I think Ozuna gives us a great bench player, but I'm not sure if he's the guy to do it. I wouldn't mind Pods as the 4th OF and a pinch runner in key situations; however, I could see a team like Pit, Florida, KC, or TB giving him more money and taking the risk to make him a starter.

It's harder and harder to find guys who are willing to take a pay cut to make a situation work and help the team, instead, they go where they can get the most $$$. I would think differently...take less money knowing that I'm still making big $$$ and have a great pension waiting for me, with a better chance to win another ring, than to take a little more and possibly prevent the team from acquiring another important piece.

balke
11-11-2007, 10:09 AM
yea, whats another 3-4 million thrown out the window, right?

Actually, that's exactly right. I'll take one pods at 3-4 million over 10 Owens at 400,000.

Let's be honest though, he'll definitely get less than he got last season, so he'd cost less than 3 Mil. I think he'd make less than 2 Mil. His career OBP is still hovering around .340 and the sox need a leadoff hitter.

Add depth to this team, put him or even Erstad in LF for 1-2 mil. When they get injured, Owens or Fields have to step up. The Sox have to get someone good in CF though.

This team needs depth. I think they get that by pushing the young guys back onto the bench. Don't make it a point to start Fields next season, make him earn a spot. Don't embarass yourself by starting Jerry Owens in CF. Give a veteran team a shot to start the season, and do what you were expected to do last season before 6 players went down.

santo=dorf
11-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Actually, that's exactly right. I'll take one pods at 3-4 million over 10 Owens at 400,000.

Let's be honest though, he'll definitely get less than he got last season, so he'd cost less than 3 Mil. I think he'd make less than 2 Mil. His career OBP is still hovering around .340 and the sox need a leadoff hitter.

Add depth to this team, put him or even Erstad in LF for 1-2 mil. When they get injured, Owens or Fields have to step up. The Sox have to get someone good in CF though.

This team needs depth. I think they get that by pushing the young guys back onto the bench. Don't make it a point to start Fields next season, make him earn a spot. Don't embarass yourself by starting Jerry Owens in CF. Give a veteran team a shot to start the season, and do what you were expected to do last season before 6 players went down.
It's easy to waste so much cash when it's not yours.

Podsednik is not worth 10x the money that Owens will get. Why in the blue hell should Erstad get a raise after his 2007 performance?

Domeshot17
11-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Here is what amazes me

The same people who are throwing Pods out the door, are the ones who are so happy Uribe is back.

"But if only Uribe DOES lose the weight, and Does remember how to hit, he was a big part of the 2005 team!!"

Well offensively, in 2005, there may not have been a bigger piece then Pods (Apologies to PK and Dye). You can replace Home Runs farely easily, but speed and lead off ability not so much.

Now I am not really in the bring back Pods corner, but his upside to this team >>>>>>>>>>>>> Uribe's (now give me Uribe is one of the better Power hitting SS, and Ill counter with how its a disgrace one of the top HR hitting SS had one of the WORST OPS in the game). A healthy Pods is the spark the team needs.

When healthy he is better then Owens. He can actually hit above .270, gets on base at a better clip, and we know he can steal bases.

Now Pods at 3.5 mil? See ya! Pods at 1 mil with a 1 mil bonus for 450 at bats, 1 mil bonus for 45 stolen bases and a 1 mil bonus for 90 runs scored, Works for me every day of the week and twice on sunday.

balke
11-11-2007, 10:57 AM
It's easy to waste so much cash when it's not yours.

Podsednik is not worth 10x the money that Owens will get. Why in the blue hell should Erstad get a raise after his 2007 performance?

Erstad shouldn't get a raise, don't know where you got that. And Pods won't make 10x, but if he did I wouldn't cry cause its not my money. Thanks for making my point.

1-3 mil for either of those players gives you a better LF than anything the Sox have in the minors. If you like inferior teams, start Jerry Owens and Fields, Keep Gonzalez on the bench, bring back that 5 Tool stud Terrero, and let's just get all these young guys experience!!! How can you know until they play regularly in the majors!!!

Blah. Pods or Erstad are injury prone, and will come at injury prone prices. But, if the Sox start with no depth on the bench, you're looking at a 60 win season. I hated both of those guys being the starters together at the beginning of last season, but I see no problem with one of them starting if the Sox get a good CFer like Hunter.

santo=dorf
11-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Erstad shouldn't get a raise, don't know where you got that. And Pods won't make 10x, but if he did I wouldn't cry cause its not my money. Thanks for making my point.
You said to sign Erstad for $1-2 million for next year. His salary with the Sox was 750k last year. That by mathematical definition is a raise.

1-3 mil for either of those players gives you a better LF than anything the Sox have in the minors. If you like inferior teams, start Jerry Owens and Fields, Keep Gonzalez on the bench, bring back that 5 Tool stud Terrero, and let's just get all these young guys experience!!! How can you know until they play regularly in the majors!!!
Unfortunately that says more about the White Sox's farm system than it does about making the right move for LF. We can sign a free agent to play LF, or perhaps we can give Ryan Sweeney a shot.

Bah. Pods or Erstad are injury prone, and will come at injury prone prices. But, if the Sox start with no depth on the bench, you're looking at a 60 win season. I hated both of those guys being the starters together at the beginning of last season, but I see no problem with one of them starting if the Sox get a good CFer like Hunter.
We don't need to waste money on injury prone players who give minimal production. That money adds up. I don't want the Sox to sign Erstad, Podsednik, Jaret Wright, Chris Reitsma, Mark Prior, or Kerry Wood, for a few million, because it will add up in the long run.

Tragg
11-11-2007, 11:35 AM
ONE of Erstad, Pods or Owens on the roster would be tolerable...as bench players
I'd vote Owens or Pods: Owens cheaper, healthier and he hits as well as Erstad does right now; Pods is unhealthy and expensive, but can get on base a fair amount and he was a member of the WS team (a tiebreaker sort of thing).

If the Sox are serious, the need to get a leadoff hitter.

balke
11-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Unfortunately that says more about the White Sox's farm system than it does about making the right move for LF. We can sign a free agent to play LF, or perhaps we can give Ryan Sweeney a shot.

Ah, I see the "free agent" signing for LF. Who's available? Let's give that Mackowiak guy a try!

Marlon Anderson
Barry Bonds
Milton Bradley
Mike Cameron
Brady Clark
Jeff DaVanon
Darin Erstad
Cliff Floyd
Luis Gonzalez
Shawn Green
Jose Guillen
Jerry Hairston Jr.
Eric Hinske
Torii Hunter
Geoff Jenkins
Andruw Jones
Bobby Kielty
Kenny Lofton
Rob Mackowiak
Trot Nixon
Orlando Palmeiro
Corey Patterson
Aaron Rowand
Reggie Sanders
Sammy Sosa
Shannon Stewart
So Taguchi
Brad Wilkerson
Rondell White

And how anyone can be comfortable with Sweeney in LF on a team that's already invested so much money in its veterans and that has NO leadoff hitter... I'll never know.

I'll take Erstad or Pods as the best fit for the Sox on that list in LF if they get Damon or Rowand or Hunter for CF. There's no fit in free agency for them right now (not many options for leadoff), and Sweeney hasn't earned a spot on any MLB roster yet. Pony up the sub-3 million bucks (more than likely either can be had for under 2 mil) it takes for Pods or Erstad, and at least give yourself a chance at having a decent leadoff hitter.

Mohoney
11-11-2007, 12:15 PM
What other viable option besides Pods can we go with to lead off? Unless we trade for either Johnny Damon or a SS that can lead off (which, unfortunately, I don't think we're going to do now that Uribe's back), I think we have to bring Pods back and hope for the best.

santo=dorf
11-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Ah, I see the "free agent" signing for LF. Who's available? Let's give that Mackowiak guy a try!

Marlon Anderson
Barry Bonds
Milton Bradley
Mike Cameron
Brady Clark
Jeff DaVanon
Darin Erstad
Cliff Floyd
Luis Gonzalez
Shawn Green
Jose Guillen
Jerry Hairston Jr.
Eric Hinske
Torii Hunter
Geoff Jenkins
Andruw Jones
Bobby Kielty
Kenny Lofton
Rob Mackowiak
Trot Nixon
Orlando Palmeiro
Corey Patterson
Aaron Rowand
Reggie Sanders
Sammy Sosa
Shannon Stewart
So Taguchi
Brad Wilkerson
Rondell White

And how anyone can be comfortable with Sweeney in LF on a team that's already invested so much money in its veterans and that has NO leadoff hitter... I'll never know.

I'll take Erstad or Pods as the best fit for the Sox on that list in LF if they get Damon or Rowand or Hunter for CF. There's no fit in free agency for them right now (not many options for leadoff), and Sweeney hasn't earned a spot on any MLB roster yet. Pony up the sub-3 million bucks (more than likely either can be had for under 2 mil) it takes for Pods or Erstad, and at least give yourself a chance at having a decent leadoff hitter.
Sweeney hasn't "earned" a spot because he hasn't been given a chance. His only at-bats came when our DH was down, and he was not called up in September. This is not a Union where we have to play guys based on seniority. Erstad and Pods are washed up. Be gone with them already.

You posted a pretty good class of free agents right there, and I completely forgot about the possibility of a Johnny Damon trade.

Domeshot17
11-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Sweeney hasn't "earned" a spot because he hasn't been given a chance. His only at-bats came when our DH was down, and he was not called up in September. This is not a Union where we have to play guys based on seniority. Erstad and Pods are washed up. Be gone with them already.

You posted a pretty good class of free agents right there, and I completely forgot about the possibility of a Johnny Damon trade.

Ryan Sweeney has done nothing to earn a job. Usually you have to hit well in triple A or the AFL before you get a shot at this level

santo=dorf
11-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Ryan Sweeney has done nothing to earn a job. Usually you have to hit well in triple A or the AFL before you get a shot at this level
So what exactly did Gonzalez do to play so much? The Sox were done by Memorial Day. We had plenty of time to see if some of these guys are part of the future.

Domeshot17
11-11-2007, 02:56 PM
So what exactly did Gonzalez do to play so much? The Sox were done by Memorial Day. We had plenty of time to see if some of these guys are part of the future.

Oh I agree, out of my 2000+ posts I think I rip how god awful of a ball player Andy Gonzalez is in most of them.

IIRC, wasn't Sweeney and Anderson both hurt and that is why neither got called up? Then when september came around Ozzie said he would like to see Sweeney but he has so many OF he has to make decisions on already he couldn't get him any playing time.

Soxfanspcu11
11-11-2007, 03:39 PM

It very well could be. But don't forget that right around this time last year (maybe more like late September 2006) a reporter asked Pods about his future with the White Sox and he replied with a, "There really is not much to talk about" quote. Around this time last year, many people, including Pods thought that he was a goner. But he ended up resigning. No one really knows what is going to happen.

Something to look at/think about is to see where else Pods could possibly end up. I mean, he is not getting any younger. He seems to be very injury prone (the fact that he was healthy for most of 2005 was very lucky). I really don't see any team out there offering him some sort of amazing deal. With his track record and current condition, I can not imagine any team offering him much more than the Sox would. Basically, a 1 year deal with tons of performance options.

If that ends up being the case, then the Sox should just go ahead and sign him. I mean, if some team is going to offer him something like a 3 year, 15 million dollar deal, obviously it would be Adios to Pods. But I just can not see a team taking a real chance on him. I don't believe that he is going to get any better offer than what the Sox would/will offer him.

I would be fine with a 1 year deal, similar to last years. And of course, it could be heavy on the incentives. A deal similar to last years deal with Pods wouldn't hurt us salary wise, or in any other way. And the potential upside, if he stays healthy, is pretty high.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that so many people have turned on Pods? Now let me say that I am not disagreeing with people who are down on Pods, I feel the same way from time to time. But I guess my real question is how come so many people seemingly can't stand him anymore. I mean, what has he done that has made so many Sox fans mad? 2 years ago, the guy had crazy love from Sox fans. But now, it is pretty much all negative, with some of it being downright mean and nasty.

Is it because people are just sick and tired of his constant injuries? Is it because he acts like he doesn't give a ****? Is it because he seems to be a shell of his former self, from just 2 years ago? Again, I'm not defending Pods or anything, I am just seriously really curious as to why so many people have turned on him so fast. I'm just wondering what the reason is.

Pods is not a good fielder with a weak arm

Hmm...I'm not so sure that I agree with you here. I do agree that he has a weak arm. Well, actually "weak" would be an improvement over his arm. He basically has a dead or non-existant arm. If there is less than 2 outs, a runner on third and a flyball to Pods in left, you can go ahead and score that run. Pods has no shot at ever throwing anyone out (Unless it is a popfly about 5 feet behind the infield dirt and a player with Konerko speed decideds to tag up.)

But the part that I disagree with, is where you say that Pods is not a good fielder. I think he is a pretty darn good fielder. I mean, he is very fast and seems to always get good reads on the ball. As long as he does not have to throw the ball, he is really solid. I have seen him get to a TON of balls that other outfielders would have no shot at.

hi im skot
11-11-2007, 03:48 PM
But the part that I disagree with, is where you say that Pods is not a good fielder. I think he is a pretty darn good fielder. I mean, he is very fast and seems to always get good reads on the ball. As long as he does not have to throw the ball, he is really solid. I have seen him get to a TON of balls that other outfielders would have no shot at.

And I'm going to disagree with that.

Good speed doesn't equal good defense.

Once again, no more Podsednik, please.

Soxfanspcu11
11-11-2007, 05:57 PM
And I'm going to disagree with that.

Good speed doesn't equal good defense.

Once again, no more Podsednik, please.

What has Pods done on defense that you believe to be so bad?? Other than have a bad arm?

Have you watched him play leftfield since he has been here? He busts his ass and runs down a ton of balls that other outfielders would have no shot at.

Other than his throwing arm, he is a solid leftfielder. I have seen him make countless amounts of great plays out there. His strongest asset is his ability to track down line drives. He seems to have a special talent for that. Especially line drives hit right at him, which any player will tell you, is the toughest ball to judge.

I have also seen him get to the gap incredibly quickly to track down balls, I've seen him climb the wall in both fair and foul territory, and he has saved a nice amount of runs with his speed.

The only thing that I don't like about his D (other than his throwing arm) is when he catches a ball one handed, you know, with just his glove, and his other arm is at his side. Makes me VERY nervous every time.

Daver
11-11-2007, 06:06 PM
What has Pods done on defense that you believe to be so bad?? Other than have a bad arm?

Have you watched him play leftfield since he has been here? He busts his ass and runs down a ton of balls that other outfielders would have no shot at.

Other than his throwing arm, he is a solid leftfielder. I have seen him make countless amounts of great plays out there. His strongest asset is his ability to track down line drives. He seems to have a special talent for that. Especially line drives hit right at him, which any player will tell you, is the toughest ball to judge.

I have also seen him get to the gap incredibly quickly to track down balls, I've seen him climb the wall in both fair and foul territory, and he has saved a nice amount of runs with his speed.

The only thing that I don't like about his D (other than his throwing arm) is when he catches a ball one handed, you know, with just his glove, and his other arm is at his side. Makes me VERY nervous every time.

His ability to back up the infield sucks, because he has to play fairly deep in order to get the reads he gets, a lot of balls land in front of him because of that, and he is not all that great around the foul line, I think he fears the wall.

KRS1
11-11-2007, 06:12 PM
His ability to back up the infield sucks, because he has to play fairly deep in order to get the reads he gets, a lot of balls land in front of him because of that, and he is not all that great around the foul line, I think he fears the wall.

I wouldn't say he lets A LOT of balls fall in front of him at all. I agree with everything you said other than that(his needing to keep the ball in front of him a good amount to get reads is spot on), especially his fear of the wall. The first thing I noticed about his D since he arrived in Chicago was how terrible and hesitant he looked running back towards the wall. He just doesn't play/read balls while running back and looking over his shoulder well at all, but he does a very nice job moving side to side and forward.

southsideirish71
11-11-2007, 06:13 PM

What wall have you seen pods climb in fair and foul territory? Are you sure you watched Scott Podsednik the white sox LF or some mythical creature that you made up. Scott Podsednik of the I let a ball bounce off my head in Oakland Posednik's, isnt that good in LF. You know who used to hustle and bust his ass, Timo. Timo isnt very good either.

hi im skot
11-12-2007, 09:07 AM

The play in Oakland early this past season stands out as one of his worst follies. I also recall some problems against Toronto late in the season at Comiskey. He runs on the tips of his toes, doesn't get very good jumps (which admittedly, he can sometimes make up for with his speed), and oftens jumps at the ball while making the catch. Now that injuries have become such a huge problem for him, how much of that make-up speed will we see. And yes, there's that one-handed business, too.

Podsednik was one of my favorite guys in 2005. We owe a lot of the team's success to Scott's presence on the basepaths. Once he went down, things started getting ugly for us.

Since then, as others have suggested, he's been a shell of his former self. Even with his speed on the basepaths, he rarely gets good jumps. And the attitude...in 2006, especially towards the end of the season, it was commonplace to see Podsednik moping around, especially after a strikeout or weak groundball. I understand frustration, but he just looked like a baby. I don't need that on my team or in the clubhouse.

I'm glad he was given another chance in '07, but we saw more of the same; bad defense, a weak arm, bad jumps, and of course the injuries.

I wish Pods nothing but the best; he's responsible for one of the most exciting moments in White Sox history. But he's worn out his welcome and needs a change of scenery, for the benefit of himself and the Sox.

upperdeckusc
11-12-2007, 10:03 AM
That likely won't happen. Pods is as fragile as glass, which is why he won't be returning next year.

the only reason i see us maybe bringing him back is because 1) we gave up a stud player in C.Lee to get him. 2) 2005 bla bla bla. 3) he wont be expensive. Do arbitration like you did with the Uribe case. Tell him that he was a liability the past 2 yrs and we'll give you 1.5 mil to be the 4th/5th OF, with an option for the 2nd yr. If he's healthy and gets back to '05 form, our leadoff and LF situation is solved. If not, then we have an occasional pinch runner and LH bat off the bench. The only reason he might say no to this is cuz he probably thinks he can start on a team somewhere, which may or may not be true. he probably can, but does a team want to throw money at him with his unreliable healthy history? if we could bring him back for 1.5-2 mil, i wouldnt mind it.

upperdeckusc
11-12-2007, 10:09 AM

fly ball in oakland (pretty sure it was oakland) in the 9th inning last yr that bounced off his head when he TERRIBLY mistimed his jump to cost us the game when jenks was trying to get out of a jam.
edit: after i posted this, the next 2-3 ppl said the exact same thing haha.

soxinem1
11-12-2007, 10:16 AM

Didn't the guy he replaced get ripped for doing the same things? At least CLee played 160 games a year. Pods has barely played 160 games the past two years combined.

Still, a suitable replacement is needed before he gets booted out the door.

Bucky F. Dent
11-13-2007, 11:22 AM
With his injury history, I'm thinking Pods has to go.

I want Hunter in CF, but that means I have to find a leadoff hitter that can play LF. Who should that be? That's why KW gets paid the big bucks.

thomas35forever
11-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Our 1-2 hitters were injury-prone last year. We got rid of one of 'em. In this case, Pods has to go. We haven't had much luck with injury-prone guys recently other than Thome, so why risk it again?

Daver
11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Didn't the guy he replaced get ripped for doing the same things? At least CLee played 160 games a year. Pods has barely played 160 games the past two years combined.

Still, a suitable replacement is needed before he gets booted out the door.

Scott plays fairly deep, as opposed to El Vaco who stood on the warning track.

Huisj
11-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Scott plays fairly deep, as opposed to El Vaco who stood on the warning track.

Another aggrivating thing Podsednik does in the outfield is pull up on his tippie-toes just before getting to a ball that he lets fall 2 feet in front of him. He'll run real fast until he's just about in position to make the catch, and then he'll pull up with a funny little dance step and let the ball fall in front of his feet. He doesn't close in on balls hit in front of him well at all.