PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta is courting Glavine

soxfanatlanta
11-07-2007, 08:47 AM
The Braves, who couldn't free the money to offer Tom Glavine a contract last winter, apparently don't have that obstacle this time. And that greatly enhances the chances Glavine will finish his career in Atlanta rather than with the Mets.

Linky (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2007/11/07/2007-11-07_tom_glavine_return_to_atlanta_braves_loo-2.html)

This will hurt the Mets chances of winning the NL East next year, and it will help the Braves stabilize their shaky rotation. They were one decent pitcher away from seriously competing for the division in 07.

In other news it looks like the Braves are not looking at signing Hunter, Cameron, or Rowand to replace the Pillsbury Doughboy (Jones). David DeJesus was mentioned in the local media.

With their pitching in shambles, are the Mets done?

itsnotrequired
11-07-2007, 08:51 AM
I thought Glavin was going the Pettitte route and basically saying "If I can't play for Atlanta, I'll retire".

soxfanatlanta
11-07-2007, 09:03 AM
I thought Glavin was going the Pettitte route and basically saying "If I can't play for Atlanta, I'll retire".

It was no real secret that he wanted to return to where he lives (Alpharetta), but walking away from $13 million towards a team that is using the "hometown discount" catch phrase is interesting to me. Maddux, and Schilling have signed for much less money ($10, and $8 mil), and I cannot see him getting any more than that.

russ99
11-07-2007, 09:54 AM
There's also whispers that the Astros could be interested in Glavine, which would be ironic as he's flat-out killed them during his career.

Foulke You
11-07-2007, 05:10 PM
If the Mets lose Glavine, I wonder if KW will be fielding phone calls about Contreras and Garland from his good buddy Omar Minaya.

ChiSoxFan35
11-07-2007, 06:24 PM

Yes, and the Mets aren't losing any sleep over it.

They actually dodged a bullet, IIRC, it was Glavine's player option and he declined it, well, I don't know if management shared the view, but the fans wanted him gone