PDA

View Full Version : Alexei Ramirez?

Sockinchisox
09-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Led the Cuban National League in HRs and appears to have the talent to play in the MLB.

And let me be the first to ask

Can he play all 3 positions at the same time? Then we would be unstoppable!

But seriously, any chance we gave this guy a look at SS?

UserNameBlank
09-18-2007, 07:51 PM
^No.

Angels, Yankees, Mets. One of those three like always.

CHIsoxNation
09-18-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that his agent is also Contreras's agent. Would be nice to use Contreras as a little leverage to bring the kid over here...that is, as long as Jose is still around next year.

Here it is...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3026151&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

Torres, who also represents White Sox pitcher Jose Contreras (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7043), said Ramirez expects to apply to Major League Baseball for free agency.
Ramirez, says the agent, is comparable to Contreras as far as being "major league ready" immediately after leaving Cuba. "Right out of spring training, Ramirez will make a major league club," Torres said.

Domeshot17
09-18-2007, 07:59 PM
We may have an outside shot. You know he is going to ask current Cuban players about their teams and the big 2 are Jose and El Duque. If we keep Jose, I know he loves playing for Ozzie, he might have a little pull. In the same Token, El Duque and Omar will have pull for the mets. The Yankees could be a possibility, but they don't need a SS or 2b and seem deep in the OF.

Hopefully our Latin American hook up can come through, because this guy is quite a player.

A. Cavatica
09-18-2007, 08:44 PM
I didn't think we'd get Iguchi, but what a breath of fresh air that was. We had a hole at 2B and found a key piece out of nowhere.

I will be dreaming about signing this guy, thanks for posting.

IlliniSox4Life
09-19-2007, 05:04 AM
How much would a guy like this cost, and is he ready to start right away in the MLB?

I would like to see him definitely, without knowing much about him. We have ???s at all three of those spots for next year, so we could definitely use another guy that can play them all.

soxfanatlanta
09-19-2007, 07:58 AM
^

The article stated he's 26.

Riiiiiight...how old is he really?

voodoochile
09-19-2007, 09:10 AM
How much would a guy like this cost, and is he ready to start right away in the MLB?

I would like to see him definitely, without knowing much about him. We have ???s at all three of those spots for next year, so we could definitely use another guy that can play them all.

Barring a major slump Richar will be the 2B starting next year. If the Sox sign this guy he'll be at one of the other positions.

IlliniSox4Life
09-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Barring a major slump Richar will be the 2B starting next year. If the Sox sign this guy he'll be at one of the other positions.

Yes, but Richar is far from a sure thing. He will be the starting 2B, but other than him there isn't a lot of depth there. If he gets injured or slumps a lot, and we happen to sign this Ramirez kid, it would be nice to slide him from short or CF to 2B and then use somebody else at SS or CF.

I guess my point is that it would be very nice to pick up a young player who seems to have a lot of talent that can play the three positions you have the least depth and flexibility at.

voodoochile
09-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Yes, but Richar is far from a sure thing. He will be the starting 2B, but other than him there isn't a lot of depth there. If he gets injured or slumps a lot, and we happen to sign this Ramirez kid, it would be nice to slide him from short or CF to 2B and then use somebody else at SS or CF.

I guess my point is that it would be very nice to pick up a young player who seems to have a lot of talent that can play the three positions you have the least depth and flexibility at.

Oh yeah, sign him up. No worries on that front, I just think Richar is going to be fine. The Sox got a good one.

FedEx227
09-19-2007, 12:04 PM
He plays all the positions we need. Go hard Kenny :D:

The Immigrant
09-19-2007, 12:15 PM
^No.

Angels, Yankees, Mets. One of those three like always.

All of those teams, plus the Red Sox, are pretty well set at SS and CF (and everyone except the Mets is also set at 2B). I just don't see them spending big money on this kid.

I wouldn't be surprised if KW tries to land him.

DSpivack
09-19-2007, 12:57 PM
All of those teams, plus the Red Sox, are pretty well set at SS and CF (and everyone except the Mets is also set at 2B). I just don't see them spending big money on this kid.

I wouldn't be surprised if either Sox get him, but the Red are far from set at SS. Julio Lugo sucks.

DumpJerry
09-19-2007, 12:59 PM
He plays all the positions we need. Go hard Kenny :D:
He's also a set-up guy?:bandance:

The Immigrant
09-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if either Sox get him, but the Red are far from set at SS. Julio Lugo sucks.

Good catch. However, he is signed through 2010 for a boatload of money and would be next to impossible to move.

spiffie
09-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Good catch. However, he is signed through 2010 for a boatload of money and would be next to impossible to move.
I'm sure if the Red Sox wanted the guy, they'd gladly eat most or all of Lugo's deal just to clear the space for him. It's easy to be a GM when money is absolutely no object.

PorkChopExpress
09-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Alexei Ramirez.

Per mlbtraderumors.com, he's a 26 year-old 2007 Cuban League home run king described as primarily a shortstop and center fielder. Apparently he is going to try to establish his free agency for '08. And the kicker is, he shares an agent with Jose Contreras. Maybe holding on to Jose did have some benefit for us.

voodoochile
09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92826

WhiteSox5187
09-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I think the Sox will make a run at him, whether we land him or not depends on who else is interested. Remember, we only got Iguchi because no one else was that interested in him (his agent wanted a big deal with the Red Sox, but they balked at that deal). As mentioned earlier the big market teams (Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets) are set in short and center...I think the Red Sox are set in second...we'll see. But Kenny is normally very active in these kinda things, and we certainly can use a guy like him...there is also another shortstop from Japan who is supposed to be coming over this year. If I recall correctly, he puts up pretty big power numbers.

UserNameBlank
09-19-2007, 02:18 PM
I think the Sox will make a run at him, whether we land him or not depends on who else is interested. Remember, we only got Iguchi because no one else was that interested in him (his agent wanted a big deal with the Red Sox, but they balked at that deal). As mentioned earlier the big market teams (Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets) are set in short and center...I think the Red Sox are set in second...we'll see. But Kenny is normally very active in these kinda things, and we certainly can use a guy like him...there is also another shortstop from Japan who is supposed to be coming over this year. If I recall correctly, he puts up pretty big power numbers.
Iguchi played in Japan though. This kid played in Cuba. While neither are on the level of MLB, Japan has better competition.

Edit: Additionally, Iguchi spent 8 seasons in Japan and came to the Sox at the price of a couple million (largely due to teams being fearful of another Kaz Matsui-like failure). If this kid came to the Sox at the price of a bench player we could talk, but I doubt he will and I doubt the Sox are going to show any serious interest in him because of it. It would be good if they did, but that isn't like them.

UserNameBlank
09-19-2007, 02:27 PM

They always spend money on highly touted international prospects. Yeah, this kid's agent says he's MLB-ready, but is he really? He probably needs to spend some time in the minors despite what his agent says. The Sox will most likely view him as an expensive prospect not worth the money, while other teams will view him as an expensive prospect worth the money.

I don't know how he compares to Kendry Morales, but wasn't he also "ready" to play in the majors? Of course the two are totally different players, but here are Kendry's stats (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/M/Kendry-Morales.shtml). Notice his .970 OPS in Cuba as a 19 year old and his 1.106 OPS in Cuba while 20. Then notice how he spent his first pro year between High A and Double A.

Edit: Kendry is doing well in the Majors now, albeit a small sample size, but it took him over two years in the Angels system to get that far after tearing up the Cuban league. Never believe what an agent says unless you see it with your own eyes.

WhiteSox5187
09-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Iguchi played in Japan though. This kid played in Cuba. While neither are on the level of MLB, Japan has better competition.
So out of the two guys you'd prefer the Japanese short stop?

UserNameBlank
09-19-2007, 02:56 PM
So out of the two guys you'd prefer the Japanese short stop?
For immediate results on a Major League team? Of course, because Japanese players play against tougher competition and aren't allowed to leave until they have accumulated enough service time to be viewed as veterans. The Japanese seasons are much longer, too. Cuban talents just try to get the hell out of that communist ****hole as soon as they can, which is good for them, but usually means more development is necessary for the acquiring team.

Again, if we were serious about bidding for a kid like this, giving him his bonus, and then letting him develop for a year or two or whatever is necessary in the minors, I'd be overly thrilled. I've already mentioned Kendry Morales as an example, and because of his age, maybe Kendry is an even better prospect than the 25-year old we're talking about. The Angels gave him a $6million bonus and look at what they have in him now. I'd love it if the Sox would do something like that. The problem is though they probably won't.

Edit: Oh, and one other point. This guy's agent is talking about Contreras like that actually means something. There is a huge difference between a big, durable power pitcher with great stuff and a hitter who has never faced Major League pitching. Contreras may have been ready, but unless this kid has some kind of video game-like talent, he's going to have a lot of catching up to do. Especially since he'll be 26 1/2 by the time he's even capable of playing in pro ball.

KRS1
09-19-2007, 05:05 PM
I don't know if the guy is ready for a major league deal, but I was certainly impressed by what I saw from him at the WBC.

DSpivack
09-19-2007, 05:25 PM

The Mets may be set at SS, but not 2B. I could definitely see them going after him. Unless they plan to stick with Valenstache long term. :tongue:

EDIT: Forgot about Luis Castillo, but he's a free agent after this season or '08, no?

October26
09-19-2007, 05:56 PM
^

The article stated he's 26.

Riiiiiight...how old is he really?

The rule of thumb is that you add 5 years to whatever age a Cuban player tells you he is, so I'm guessing he's 31. :tongue:

Also, I'm available to asisist with any translations that are needed to facilitate Alexei coming to the Sox. I speak Cuban!:bandance:

soxfan13
09-20-2007, 10:15 AM
The rule of thumb is that you add 5 years to whatever age a Cuban player tells you he is, so I'm guessing he's 31. :tongue:

Also, I'm available to asisist with any translations that are needed to facilitate Alexei coming to the Sox. I speak Cuban!:bandance:

So in other words you speak Spanish:tongue:

Sockinchisox
09-20-2007, 09:12 PM
BA posted some stuff on this guy, sounds promising, theres some video on him there as well.

Alexei Ramirez led Cuba’s Serie Nacional in home runs last season with 20 and was a member of Cuba’s top-level national team for the last three seasons, winning an Olympic gold medal in 2004 in Athens and playing for Cuba’s World Baseball Classic team, which placed second to Japan. His birthdate has been listed as being either April 25 or Sept. 22, 1981, depending on different international tournament records. Torres reported the Sept. 22 birthdate in a call to Baseball America.
Ramirez, who went 6-for-16 (.375) in the WBC, has played shortstop for Pinar Del Rio but has played the outfield and second base for Cuba in international competition. He hit .335 with a .574 slugging percentage this season for Pinar del Rio.
“He’s going to be available to teams this Thursday at the Hilton hotel in Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic,” Torres said Tuesday. “He is in the process of establishing legal residency in the Dominican Republic.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=597

FloridaTigers
09-20-2007, 09:58 PM
He's Cuban, he'll be good.

As a Cuban, I know we're talented. ;)

Seriously. If Cuba had the freedom the Dominicans have, there'd be better/more Cubans in the majors than Dominicans. I hope the Tigers get Ramirez.

Qdiddy
11-07-2007, 01:07 AM
I just had a few questions:

1.Has anyone seen this guy play?

2.What are the chances that the Sox land this guy? Market Value?

3. I heard he has leadoff type speed and can play both SS and CF positions. Is this true? I hope he's not the Cuban Corey Patterson. Speaking of Patterson, isn't he a FA? maybe sign him as a 4th OF?

Anyways, what's everyones take on this Alexei Ramirez?

Thanks,

"Q"

DumpJerry
11-07-2007, 07:57 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92826

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1683223&highlight=Alexei#post1683223

Hope these help.

:searchfirst:

Domeshot17
12-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Has anyone heard anything, Sox or anyone, related to this guy. I was excited to hear he had defected from cuba and was coming over. Guy can play middle If and CF, has a nice stroke and some good power. I figured there would have been a ton of suitors for him, but I have yet to hear a thing.

chaerulez
12-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Is this the guy that was highly regarded during the WBC?

Sockinchisox
12-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Has anyone heard anything, Sox or anyone, related to this guy. I was excited to hear he had defected from cuba and was coming over. Guy can play middle If and CF, has a nice stroke and some good power. I figured there would have been a ton of suitors for him, but I have yet to hear a thing.

Last I heard he was having residential issues in the DR, he was doing pretty bad in Winter Ball too.

DumpJerry
12-04-2007, 04:59 PM
This is the fourth thread about this guy started since September. All four are merged into this one. Please take a second or two to use the search function before starting a thread to see if there is a recent one on the topic.

oeo
12-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Finally some news on this guy...
Jaime Torres, the agent for Cuban slugger Alexei Ramirez, left Nashville after meeting with five teams interested in the player. Torres said that he expects to meet with two other clubs in the next couple of days. Ramirez, the home run leader in the Cuban national tournament in 2006, can play second base or the outfield. He left Cuba and settled in Dominican Republic two months ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=winter_meetings

rowand33
12-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Is this the guy that was highly regarded during the WBC?

No. I believe that was Guerriel (sp?)

That guy was AWESOME

Domeshot17
12-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Finally some news on this guy...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=winter_meetings

This is very interesting because there was a blip in the Trib today that Kenny had lunch or a meeting or something with Contreras's agent (who is Jamie Torres). I wonder if having such a strong Cuban Pipeline can help us land him.

btrain929
12-06-2007, 05:51 PM
He'd only help us in CF. I'd rather go after Fukudome, unless he comes dirt cheap, which I doubt....

NardiWasHere
12-07-2007, 04:37 PM
No. I believe that was Guerriel (sp?)

That guy was AWESOME

He was sooo fun to watch. Didn't he leave too? What's his situation?

rowand33
12-07-2007, 04:45 PM
He was sooo fun to watch. Didn't he leave too? What's his situation?

He's going to be in Cuba forever.

It was rumored sometime after the WBC that he defected, but the rumors were false.

mealfred13
12-22-2007, 12:00 AM
:gulp::gulp: to the Original Poster for this early idea. Are you sure you're not a scout? :D:

the1tab
12-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Sun times says we signed this guy... what's the deal? CF next year?

Sockinchisox
12-22-2007, 11:37 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96021