PDA

View Full Version : Please Vizquel, Sign with the Giants!

Sockinchisox
11-06-2007, 08:58 PM
According to Rosenthal, the Sox are interested in signing Vizquel to mentor Richar, but Vizquel is nearing agreement with the Giants.

Please for all that is good in the world, sign with the Giants!

oeo
11-06-2007, 09:10 PM
According to Rosenthal, the Sox are interested in signing Vizquel to mentor Richar, but Vizquel is nearing agreement with the Giants.

Please for all that is good in the world, sign with the Giants!

Completely ignoring the Vizquel part of this story, this is interesting. Are they planning on moving Richar back to short? Why else would they want Vizquel as a mentor?

If Richar could do it, then we could sign Castillo to play 2B and lead off. That would be a perfect scenario.

Sockinchisox
11-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I dunno, maybe.

Here's the story and quote.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7416086

The White Sox were among the clubs interested in pursuing Vizquel as a free agent, figuring they could use him to replace Juan Uribe and mentor second baseman Danny Richar.

oeo
11-06-2007, 09:20 PM
I dunno, maybe.

Here's the story and quote.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7416086

Oh, never mind. Maybe a replacement down the road, but by that quote you just posted, we would see Vizquel at short, and Richar at second.

TDog
11-06-2007, 10:06 PM
I got the impression near the end of the season that the Giants weren't interested in re-signing Vizquel. He's lost a bit defensively, and he's lost more offensively.

Brian26
11-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I got the impression near the end of the season that the Giants weren't interested in re-signing Vizquel. He's lost a bit defensively, and he's lost more offensively.

Rumor has it that he also lost his AARP card, thus the need for him to hang on and play another season at age 58.

11-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Vizquel > Uribe

KyWhiSoxFan
11-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Let's see, the Sox are after 30-something Vizquel, 30-something Hunter, 30-something Damon, and already have 60-something Contreras, 30-somethings Dye, Konerko, Pods, etc. By golly, if the Sox can't be first by wins, they will be first by highest average age.

TDog
11-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Something I didn't notice, Omar Vizquel is only 13 games away from tying Luis Aparicio's record for most games played at shortstop. Aparicio's last game with the White Sox the game in which he broke Luke Appling's record. Appling, of course, played his entire career with the White Sox. The Sox sent Aparicio home early in 1970, apparently as a reward for breaking the record. They traded him to Boston during the offseason.

The last game Carlton Fisk played for the White Sox was the game that set the record for games at catcher.

If the Sox sign Vizquel, it wouldn't surprise me if he played just 14 games at shortsop. No, it would surprise me, but it shouldn't.

The Immigrant
11-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Yuck.

SoxSpeed22
11-06-2007, 11:37 PM
They have pursued Vizquel for the last 3 years, now make it 4. That grindy-spirit doesn't go away.

WhiteSox5187
11-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Vizquel > Uribe
If we brought Luis Apparicio out of retirement and stuck him at short, he'd be better than Uribe.

Vizquel is not what this team needs. I WOULD be curious to see what Richar can do at short (I seem to recall reading that he didn't do a whole at short in the minors) and then maybe you could have either Castillo or Eckstein play second.

JermaineDye05
11-06-2007, 11:57 PM
If we brought Luis Apparicio out of retirement and stuck him at short, he'd be better than Uribe.

Vizquel is not what this team needs. I WOULD be curious to see what Richar can do at short (I seem to recall reading that he didn't do a whole at short in the minors) and then maybe you could have either Castillo or Eckstein play second.

I heard Richar was a below average short stop in the minors. He looked really good at 2nd though, I say keep him there.

FedEx227
11-07-2007, 12:23 AM
I heard Richar was a below average short stop in the minors. He looked really good at 2nd though, I say keep him there.

I remember the reports were his throwing arm was a bit suspect leading to a lot of errors. I have no doubt he has the range for SS, but most likely not the arm.

Like JD05 said, if it aint broke don't fix it. Keep him at 2B.

CWSpalehoseCWS
11-07-2007, 12:56 AM
I remember the reports were his throwing arm was a bit suspect leading to a lot of errors. I have no doubt he has the range for SS, but most likely not the arm.

I always thought that Richar had the arm, but was erratic.

11-07-2007, 01:52 AM

I agree but I don't think the White Sox are considering any other options other than Uribe or Yuckstein.

I'd rather have Vizquel out of those 3.

oeo
11-07-2007, 01:58 AM

No, he has a cannon. His problem is his feet...he throws everything flat-footed, which leads to the erratic throws.

Read more about him here (http://diamondbacks.scout.com/2/494556.html).

russ99
11-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Hm. Interesting.

So that would mean the Sox would cut Uribe loose, sign Vizquel and have him platoon with Richar, then sign someone like Eckstein or Castillo to play 2B and lead off.

This kind of move really fits Kenny's profile, so don't be surprised if if goes down that way...