PDA

View Full Version : Zumaya was hurt in a dirt bike accident?

Rockabilly
11-06-2007, 01:54 PM
I was listening to MLB TV baseball special and the host said that he had heard a rumor that Zumaya was actually hurt in a dirt bike accident according to a few witnesses...

Huisj
11-06-2007, 01:55 PM
that's interesting. I was kind of wondering how a huge strong person who is built like an ox can separate their shoulder that badly from having a box fall on them.

soxinem1
11-06-2007, 02:09 PM
http://enrico.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/aaron_rowand_rockyvi_1.jpg

"Don't look at me, I wasn't with him!'

russ99
11-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Hm. I wonder if Aaron plays Guitar Hero too... :D:

Oblong
11-06-2007, 02:18 PM
The source for the rumor was a poster on an ESPN message board.

We've got a discussion on it here (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54135).

I don't buy it just because there would have been people there and ambulance drivers and all that. In this day and age of cell phone cameras it would have been leaked. I'm not going to think that dozens of people can keep a secret but a doctor will just betray teh confidence of the team he's working for. It's silly conspiracy stuff.

oeo
11-06-2007, 02:23 PM
that's interesting. I was kind of wondering how a huge strong person who is built like an ox can separate their shoulder that badly from having a box fall on them.

This is the same guy that hurt himself playing Guitar Hero.

Huisj
11-06-2007, 02:27 PM
This is the same guy that hurt himself playing Guitar Hero.

good point.

Rockabilly
11-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I could be totally wrong but didn't Carlos Zambrano hurt himself playing guitar hero as well..

Domeshot17
11-06-2007, 02:42 PM
I could be totally wrong but didn't Carlos Zambrano hurt himself playing guitar hero as well..

I dont know about that but I know Zambrano was complaining of hand pain from spending countless hours on the internet at night before games.

http://www.wildcardsports.com/images/Zambrano.jpg

Don't be jealous Big Z has been chatting with babes online all day!

FedEx227
11-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah Big Z hurt his arm e-mail his brother.

.............you have to love the Cubs excuses for pitching injuries.

gregoriop
11-06-2007, 03:35 PM
I hurt my arm playing Guitar Hero for hours on end too. But I'm a schlub and by no means anything close to a professional athlete.

TDog
11-06-2007, 04:00 PM
The source for the rumor was a poster on an ESPN message board.

We've got a discussion on it here (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54135).

I don't buy it just because there would have been people there and ambulance drivers and all that. In this day and age of cell phone cameras it would have been leaked. I'm not going to think that dozens of people can keep a secret but a doctor will just betray teh confidence of the team he's working for. It's silly conspiracy stuff.

If you are predisposed to believe Zumaya, I can understand how you would feel that way. I don't believe, though, that Tigers management believed the story about his injury. As he described it, it was unfortunate for the team. If he engaged in a prohibited activity, it could be less unfortunate for the team financially. Zumaya has financial incentive to lie about how he was injured. It's not just a matter of embarrassment. Jeff Kent a few years ago tried to say he was injured washing his car. The financial stakes were higher with Kent.

It is possible the team is helping with a coverup to protect the Tigers image. It also is possible the Guitar Hero injury is a cover for something more embarrassing, something management is aware of or perhaps suspects. In the old days, journalists would have known about it and not shared it, but those days are gone.

It doesn't make any difference really. Injured is injured. The only difference is what it says about Zumaya's character, and that seems to mean something to you. If Zumaya hurt himself helping his parents, he is unselfish. If he hurt himself on a dirt bike (or on a computer game) he is selfish.

Oblong
11-06-2007, 04:27 PM
The problem is that there is absolute zero evidence to support a dirk bike injury. Some guy wrote this in the comments section on an ESPN story. That's it. That is the whole foundation for these rumors.

“Wow, Zumaya hurt his shoulder while moving “items” at his home…..more like Mr. Zumaya was hurt while racing his YZF 450 at the imperial dunes on sat afternoon. I believe it was about 2:30pm, when we ran into the mess while we were out riding. Z was placed in a neck brace and strapped onto a back board and hauled away in a Medic-Rail. There was two rangers on the scene and just a handful of people. Moving items, more like trying to out jump a kid on a dirtbike.”

Yes it's possible that there's something going on. I guess that's possible with every injury during the off season because fans don't witness it. But until there's something credible to support it then it's just wacky conspiracy fodder. I could just as easily say that his shoulder was injured when he got beat up by drug dealers or gamblers and there'd be just as much evidence to support that theory. It's irresponsible to give these people on the internet the light of day. Message boards and bloggers have enough of a problem with people taking them seriously.

The described scenario probably wouldn't be too difficult to check out if an ambulance was called to the scene.

But the rumors did produce a funny picture.

http://www.tothewallsports.com/images/zumayatruth.jpg

Ziggy S
11-07-2007, 04:34 AM
I dont know about that but I know Zambrano was complaining of hand pain from spending countless hours on the internet at night before games.

http://www.wildcardsports.com/images/Zambrano.jpg

Don't be jealous Big Z has been chatting with babes online all day!

As seen during his tussle with Micheal Barrett, we all know Zambrano's been training to be a cage fighter.

Zisk77
11-07-2007, 12:47 PM
So Zumya went to the Aaron Rowand, Ron Gant school of bike riding.