PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay coming to baseball?

JermaineDye05
11-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Per George Offman on the Score. Apparently there was a vote between the GM's for Instant Replay regarding Homerun balls. Apparently there will be another vote in the winter meetings.

Scottiehaswheels
11-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Per George Offman on the Score. Apparently there was a vote between the GM's for Instant Replay regarding Homerun balls. Apparently there will be another vote in the winter meetings.This was an interesting debate on XM a couple days ago.... It was only a couple years ago they decided to implement rules to speed the games up... Instant replay will drastically slow up play. Could the ump maybe signal upstairs to play the replay on the jumbotron's? Make a quick call off of what they see on the screen?

mrfourni
11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3096923

GM's vote 25-5 in favor of Instant Replay on home runs. Doesn't say who voted against it.

JermaineDye05
11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
This was an interesting debate on XM a couple days ago.... It was only a couple years ago they decided to implement rules to speed the games up... Instant replay will drastically slow up play. Could the ump maybe signal upstairs to play the replay on the jumbotron's? Make a quick call off of what they see on the screen?

I wouldn't be surprised if it slows up the game, as umpires might not put as much effort into chasing a ball down the line to see if it's fair since they know that if they screw up there's the replay.

jabrch
11-06-2007, 02:33 PM
If all they are using it for is to determine if a ball is a HR or not, I'm all for it.

Should be fairly quick and easy and only comes into play once in a while, but has a huge impact when it does.

mrfourni
11-06-2007, 02:33 PM
This was an interesting debate on XM a couple days ago.... It was only a couple years ago they decided to implement rules to speed the games up... Instant replay will drastically slow up play. Could the ump maybe signal upstairs to play the replay on the jumbotron's? Make a quick call off of what they see on the screen?

I doubt they'd ever do it with a Jumbotron. How would it work at Wrigley? I would assume they would have a station similar to the NFL's in the dugout or camera wells

Oblong
11-06-2007, 02:34 PM
If it's only limited to HR calls then I'm ok with it. It's not like it'll be used all the time, how many HR calls are really in question?

But I don't think we need replay for other types of plays. Baseball has isolated action and the umps know where to look and what position to be in to get the best look. It's not like other sports where you care what the right fielder is doing when there's a play at third base.

Scottiehaswheels
11-06-2007, 02:34 PM
I doubt they'd ever do it with a Jumbotron. How would it work at Wrigley? I would assume they would have a station similar to the NFL's in the dugout or camera wellsWell.. Ok there is that exception....

dickallen15
11-06-2007, 02:35 PM
. If its done properly it could speed the game up as there won't be any on the field lengthy arguments about it.

PKalltheway
11-06-2007, 02:41 PM
I'm for it as long as they only use it with home runs. I guess this is just another way the game is evolving.

thomas35forever
11-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Instant replay in baseball is inevitable. In about five years, it'll be used for everything, not just home run balls.

IlliniSox4Life
11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
If it's only limited to HR calls then I'm ok with it. It's not like it'll be used all the time, how many HR calls are really in question?

Exactly. There might have been 15 instances all season where they would have used them in Sox games. That's not going to slow down play at all.

ilsox7
11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Instant replay in baseball is inevitable. In about five years, it'll be used for everything, not just home run balls.

Highly unlikely. And almost impossible.

IlliniSox4Life
11-06-2007, 02:45 PM
I wonder how it will be initiated. Will it be a "booth" challenge? Will the Umps be able to review any call they want? Do the opposing managers get to challenge it, and if so how often? Will Ozzie get a red flag he can throw in anger?

HomeFish
11-06-2007, 04:55 PM
In most cases where Instant Replay in this proposal would delay the game, the game would have been delayed anyway by the umps conferring with each other as to what happened.

spiffie
11-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Highly unlikely. And almost impossible.
It will never be used for balls or strikes, but I'd be surprised if at some point some sort of challenge element doesn't come into play, allowing a manager to look at one or two close plays per game. Once the technology is in the stadium and being used, it will be a short leap to "why the hell couldn't we review this blown call at second?"

Iwritecode
11-06-2007, 04:58 PM
So what happens if there is a ball that the umpire calls a homerun, the player circles the bases and then it is decided that it wasn't a homerun after all?

Kinda like what happened in Game 3 of the WS in 2005 where the umpires missed that homerun call because of that stupid vertical yellow line they have down in Houston?

Which base does the batter return to? What if there were other runners that could've potentially been thrown out at third or home?

Would they just let the play continue until they can review it?

soxinem1
11-06-2007, 05:00 PM
For fair, foul HR's and fan inteference, sure. But anything else is ridiculous.

hi im skot
11-06-2007, 05:13 PM

No way.

DoubleO
11-06-2007, 05:17 PM
It always starts with one thing then it will lead to another. Before you know it, instant replay will be used for more than just HR's . I say no to instant replay, keep it pure. Just my thought....

DumpJerry
11-06-2007, 05:17 PM
I doubt they'd ever do it with a Jumbotron. How would it work at Wrigley? I would assume they would have a station similar to the NFL's in the dugout or camera wells
They would just have to look in the basket. No need for replay.

Paulwny
11-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Just because the GM's voted for it doesn't make it a done deal. A few other people (unions) need to approve it.
From the AP:
Replay eventually would have to be approved by the unions for players and umpires, and possibly in a vote by owners.

pierzynski07
11-06-2007, 09:35 PM
They would just have to look in the basket. No need for replay.
I don't get it. Please explain it to me, in detail.

TDog
11-06-2007, 10:30 PM
It will never be used for balls or strikes, but I'd be surprised if at some point some sort of challenge element doesn't come into play, allowing a manager to look at one or two close plays per game. Once the technology is in the stadium and being used, it will be a short leap to "why the hell couldn't we review this blown call at second?"

In the case of disputed (sometimes non-) home run calls, the ball is dead and the umpires are conferring. If the object of the sport is to get plays right, there could be no limit to replay challenges that are allowed. Only a truly rinky-dink sport would make instant replay a matter of challenges and limit the number of challenges. Such limits make instant replay a myth, selling to fans the concept but not implementing it.

If instant replay gets in the way of the flow of the game to the point where it has to be limited, it is useless.

FedEx227
11-06-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't get it. Please explain it to me, in detail.

There won't be disputed calls at Wrigley because theres a giant overhang basket that catches all home run balls. No other parks have the same, most rely on a yellow line, which is where the disputes begin.

Ragator43
11-06-2007, 11:12 PM
So what happens if there is a ball that the umpire calls a homerun, the player circles the bases and then it is decided that it wasn't a homerun after all?

Kinda like what happened in Game 3 of the WS in 2005 where the umpires missed that homerun call because of that stupid vertical yellow line they have down in Houston?

Which base does the batter return to? What if there were other runners that could've potentially been thrown out at third or home?

Would they just let the play continue until they can review it?

If instant replay does get instituted and a play like this comes about, I think the umpires would end up using a delayed call signal, letting the play run its course before reviewing the video and making ruling on it. That way, the "what if" situations can be avoided.

manders_01
11-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Pending logistics, I like the idea for HR's only.

MUsoxfan
11-07-2007, 12:34 AM
There won't be disputed calls at Wrigley because theres a giant overhang basket that catches all home run balls. No other parks have the same, most rely on a yellow line, which is where the disputes begin.

What about a ball that clearly has the distance but skirts the foul pole?

WSox597
11-07-2007, 07:21 AM
It will never be used for balls or strikes

That's too bad if true, because that's precisely where it's needed the most.

It seems like every umpire has a different strike zone, and that's just not right. There should be consistency in called balls and strikes.

spiffie
11-07-2007, 10:04 AM
In the case of disputed (sometimes non-) home run calls, the ball is dead and the umpires are conferring. If the object of the sport is to get plays right, there could be no limit to replay challenges that are allowed. Only a truly rinky-dink sport would make instant replay a matter of challenges and limit the number of challenges. Such limits make instant replay a myth, selling to fans the concept but not implementing it.

If instant replay gets in the way of the flow of the game to the point where it has to be limited, it is useless.
Instant replay isn't the problem, its the people who would be implementing it. Without some sort of limit on its usage, it would become a tool of nothing but gamesmanship. Need a minute to get your relief guy ready? Challenge the obvious out at first. Want to freeze a pitcher? Challenge whether there was catcher interference on an easy pop fly.

If you leave it to umpires, they generally would never look at anything. If you leave it totally to managers without limits, they will abuse it. The only way to do something like that would be to give it to managers with limits.

I just think its ridiculous that the only people in the world who don't have the benefit of seeing if a call was wrong are the people making the call.

ilsox7
11-07-2007, 10:45 AM
That's too bad if true, because that's precisely where it's needed the most.

It seems like every umpire has a different strike zone, and that's just not right. There should be consistency in called balls and strikes.

If you want to really slow down the game and create mass amounts of controversy, then go ahead and use it for balls and strikes!

pierzynski07
11-07-2007, 02:20 PM
FTR, I think they now have a yellow line at the top of that basket. And I seem to remember a few times where the ball went over the basket (and over the line), bounced off the railing, and returned to the field. The balls were ruiled to still be in play, and not a home run. Similar to what happened in Colorado recently.

Basically, the basket doesn't necessarly catch every ball. So replay would come in handy there, as well as the foul pole.

WSox597
11-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Posted by ilsox7:If you want to really slow down the game and create mass amounts of controversy

Actually, there is quite a bit of controversy about the strike zone already. I do see where it might slow games down, depending on how it was handled.

By whatever method, I wish something could be done about the umpires running amok with the strike zone. Lasers? Electric eyes? Cattle prods for bad calls?

Something.

ilsox7
11-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Actually, there is quite a bit of controversy about the strike zone already. I do see where it might slow games down, depending on how it was handled.

By whatever method, I wish something could be done about the umpires running amok with the strike zone. Lasers? Electric eyes? Cattle prods for bad calls?

Something.

Not controversy in terms of if a call is right or wrong. More along the lines of the following scenario:

It's a 2-2 count with a runner on 1st and 2 outs. The runner goes. Strike 3 is called. The catcher rolls the ball back to the mound. Now the call is challenged and overturned. So what happens to the runner? Does he have to go back to 1st?

Situations like that are the reason that instant replay should never be instituted for anything more than the HR call currently being discussed.

TDog
11-08-2007, 12:25 AM

If you leave it to umpires, they generally would never look at anything. If you leave it totally to managers without limits, they will abuse it. The only way to do something like that would be to give it to managers with limits. ...

Which makes instant replay totally meaningless.

The only way it could work is if there were umpire supervisors watching every game and reviewing ever play and making an immediate decision if the play is going to be reviewed. Otherwise its use is a lie to the fans.

That is why it will never come to baseball beyond the limited fair/foul-home-run-or-not sense.