PDA

View Full Version : Crede for Damon?

LITTLE NELL
11-06-2007, 05:43 AM
Tribune reporting possible deal of Crede for Johnny Damon. I would do the trade if we sign Hunter for CF, I dont want Damon in center, put him in LF. My wife has a stronger throwing arm than Damon.

soxfanatlanta
11-06-2007, 06:56 AM
At his age (34), for his salary $13 million per year?

Unless the Yankees kick in some of his salary - No.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-06-2007, 07:01 AM
At his age (34), for his salary $13 million per year?

Unless the Yankees kick in some of his salary - No.
34 isnt that old, considering the fact that Hunter will demand close to that amount....

balke
11-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Its an easy way to fix leadoff and CF at the same time. I hate his arm too, but Kenny's just trying to salvage what he can to keep this looking somewhat like a team.

dakuda
11-06-2007, 08:03 AM
IIRC, this was a rumor/idea started on MLBTR. It picked up steam from there. He seems quite proud that more people are reporting on his idea. I am not putting a whole lot of weight in it.

alohafri
11-06-2007, 08:34 AM
When Kenny is involved, if it is in the newspaper, it isn't going to happen.

chaerulez
11-06-2007, 08:36 AM
The Yankees thought so highly of Damon's defense that he DH'ed in 47 games. I don't want to see him in CF. I also don't want him at 13 million a year. If the Yankees give the cash so the Sox only have to pay him about 7 million a year, then maybe it'd be an alright deal.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-06-2007, 08:37 AM
I'd prefer Hunter if the Sox are going to acquire an outfielder over 32 or so. I think he brings more to the table than Damon. Maybe Crede can be dangled to get an upgrade at short?

ZombieRob
11-06-2007, 08:47 AM
What does anyone really care what he makes or what the Sox pay him? It's not like any of us are paying his salary.And i agree with the other poster,get Hunter along with Damon,put Damon in left thats a nice combo.Damon may not have the arm he used to,but still has decent range.As far as Damon D.H ing.Melky would replace alot of center fielders in baseball.

drewcifer
11-06-2007, 09:19 AM
I'd prefer Hunter if the Sox are going to acquire an outfielder over 32 or so. I think he brings more to the table than Damon. Maybe Crede can be dangled to get an upgrade at short?

Crede for Furcal straight up make sense. The Dodgers have a young SS that's ready and desperately need a solid defensive 3B with power potential. They shed $8M in the process.

We get a lead off SS and between not paying Crede or Uribe $5M+/ea., we're only on the hook a few million for a year of a $13M player that has a ton more value than Damon. If he works out in 08, great - Kenny does his thing to extend him before he hits the market. If he doesn't, we still get some value from the move in the 09 draft.

areilly
11-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Damon only under contract for another two years? If so, I like the idea of a $13mil/yr, 36-year-old Damon walking after 2008 more than I like the idea of a $14mil/yr, 37-yr-old Hunter walking after 2012. Damon could be a passable stopgap, and at this point I think that's all the Sox can hope for; the extent of their mediocrity and number of huge holes to fill make a one-season turnaround almost impossible, despite what the Rowand/Hunter man-love and Garland+BA-for-Crawford trade crowds seem to think.

upperdeckusc
11-06-2007, 10:02 AM
i wonder if this will be another situation where crede is shopped hard in the next month or 2 (ala buehrle and dye), then signed to a 2 yr contract for about 10 mil or so. we cant give him much more because of the uncertainty of his back. if he's successful, that's a great contract, if not, its not much money wasted. this whole scenario just seems to being following the path of buehrle and dye.

Gammons Peter
11-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't think we will get anything of value for Joe until he proves he is healthy

Paulwny
11-06-2007, 10:25 AM
FWIW
From the NY Post:
There is a lot of Johnny Damon-for-Joe Crede speculation. The Yanks, however, strongly indicated they feel Damon has greater value than Crede, who is coming off of back surgery that robbed most of his 2006 season and is a year from free agency with Boras as his agent.

thomas35forever
11-06-2007, 02:42 PM
I'd take Hunter over Damon any day of the week, but don't be surprised if Damon is starting for us next season. KW likes the seasoned veterans in their early-to-mid 30s as shown by his getting Thome and Erstad, so if we can't get Hunter or Rowand, Damon could be our best option.

Rockabilly
11-06-2007, 03:17 PM
According to Seth Everret of MLB.com the Sox want more than just Damon for Crede because Crede will be the top 3B next off season and the Yanks want to make sure that they can sign Crede to an extension before they give the Sox more players than just Damon

Nellie_Fox
11-06-2007, 03:46 PM
What does anyone really care what he makes or what the Sox pay him? It's not like any of us are paying his salary.Maybe because the Sox don't have an unlimited salary structure. Whatever he gets paid affects what can be spent elsewhere.

FedEx227
11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Maybe because the Sox don't have an unlimited salary structure. Whatever he gets paid affects what can be spent elsewhere.

Hahaha exactly... why do we care?

Hmm, I don't know... we enjoy watching our team succeed on the field?

We understand basic ownership and property rights and understand in the real-world JR isn't going to start dropping $250 million annually on our team.

gogosox16
11-06-2007, 04:09 PM
how bout we get chamberlain and damon and cash for crede and broadway

Domeshot17
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahaha haha

drewcifer
11-06-2007, 04:15 PM

Nah, keep the cash and add Kennedy and Hughes. Deal.

gogosox16
11-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Nah, keep the cash and add Kennedy and Hughes. Deal.
agree.:cool:

FarWestChicago
11-06-2007, 09:11 PM
What does anyone really care what he makes or what the Sox pay him? It's not like any of us are paying his salary.And i agree with the other poster,get Hunter along with Damon,put Damon in left thats a nice combo.Damon may not have the arm he used to,but still has decent range.As far as Damon D.H ing.Melky would replace alot of center fielders in baseball.Nice!! Zombie has become Lip Jr. :thumbsup:

"It's not my money. Pay every player on the team $20 million. What the hell. Why not?"

:moonwalk:

Paulwny
11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
From the NY Times:

Johnny Damon was concerned enough about his name coming up in trade talks, particularly for the White Sox's Joe Crede, that he was expected to take advantage of the proximity of his Orlando-area home to these meetings to talk face-to-face with Boras, his agent. The Yanks appear to have no intention to deal Damon for Crede and, in fact, want Damon to be their regular leadoff hitter/left field next season.

ZombieRob
11-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Nice!! Zombie has become Lip Jr. :thumbsup:

"It's not my money. Pay every player on the team $20 million. What the hell. Why not?"

:moonwalk:
Why not?Soon 20 mil will be the standard for an average major leaguer:D:

ZombieRob
11-07-2007, 03:06 PM
From the NY Times:

Johnny Damon was concerned enough about his name coming up in trade talks, particularly for the White Sox's Joe Crede, that he was expected to take advantage of the proximity of his Orlando-area home to these meetings to talk face-to-face with Boras, his agent. The Yanks appear to have no intention to deal Damon for Crede and, in fact, want Damon to be their regular leadoff hitter/left field next season.
Not shocked .Does this mean Pods is assured to be back next year?

balke
11-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't like Damon. I like his stats, but I just don't like the guy. I hope he stays on the East coast where he is liked. I'm guessing if the Sox trade Crede alone, it'll be for a couple good prospect arms. I could also see him packaged for a fast 3Bman and prospect SS or Pitcher with Garland.

chisoxmike
11-07-2007, 03:09 PM
From the NY Times:

Thank God!

:supernana::supernana:

FarWestChicago
11-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Why not?Soon 20 mil will be the standard for an average major leaguer:D:Yeah, but you and Lip are trying to jump into the future on Reinsy's dollars. :D:

areilly
11-07-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't like Damon. I like his stats, but I just don't like the guy. I hope he stays on the East coast where he is liked. I'm guessing if the Sox trade Crede alone, it'll be for a couple good prospect arms. I could also see him packaged for a fast 3Bman and prospect SS or Pitcher with Garland.

No way any team trades pitching prospects for a 3B heading into his walk year coming off of back surgery.

Hitmen77
11-09-2007, 10:32 AM
The latest report from the Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/642972,CST-SPT-sox09.article