PDA

View Full Version : KW interested in Brandon Wood

Rockabilly
11-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Reports from LA is that KW is very interested in acquiring Brandon Wood to be the new SS and the rumor is that the Angels are interested in Garland.. Has this been reported in Chicago at all

munchman33
11-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Reports from LA is that KW is very interested in acquiring Brandon Wood to be the new SS and the rumor is that the Angels are interested in Garland.. Has this been reported in Chicago at all

No. This rumor is so hot MLB trade rumors hasn't even picked it up yet.

Rocky Soprano
11-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Don't know too much about Brandon, would he be a good pickup?

chisoxmike
11-05-2007, 04:49 PM

More importantly, giving up Garland for him.

upperdeckusc
11-05-2007, 04:52 PM

yes and no. i'd love to have him, but only if we can get a leadoff hitting LF/CF cuz wood is not that. he's a power hitting SS with avg-good defense if i recall correctly. wood, a proven bullpen arm, and a minor league arm, and they can have 1 yr of garland. our SS and bullpen would be addressed immediately, and plus we've saved around 8-10 mil depending on the bullpen arm to spend on a stopgate SP, OF, or more bullpen. i pretty much suggest this type of deal in my sig, so.......DO IT!!!

CHIsoxNation
11-05-2007, 04:53 PM
More importantly, giving up Garland for him.

The kid is a prospect so who knows how he'll be full time in the bigs but I've heard a lot of good reports on him over the past year.

I believe they they tried playing him a bit at 2nd or 3rd when Figgins and Kendrick were hurt and he didn't do too hot...I'm not positive though.

ChiSoxFan35
11-05-2007, 05:08 PM
A quick browse online looks like he strikes out a lot, doesn't walk, but has some pop. A younger Uribe, sweet! ;)

drewcifer
11-05-2007, 05:20 PM
He actually looks like he's been declining since A ball. And yes, his SOs and BBs are terrible. Seems like a move from pan to fire.

Here's a look at his numbers (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/W/Brandon-Wood-1.shtml).

getonbckthr
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
He has good DOUBLe numbers which I might be wrong but I thought when looking at prospects pegged as power hitters you use the doubles as a measuring stick as its assumed as he peaks those become homers?

weareud
11-05-2007, 05:25 PM
He actually looks like he's been declining since A ball.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w25/triplefactorial/Captain%20Obvious/2b56203d.jpg

Usually as someone moves up in the minor leagues, the pitching becomes tougher and stats may go down a little.

Do it.

ChiSoxFan35
11-05-2007, 05:30 PM
[quote=drewcifer;1715755]He actually looks like he's been declining since A ball. /quote]

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w25/triplefactorial/Captain%20Obvious/2b56203d.jpg

Usually as someone moves up in the minor leagues, the pitching becomes tougher and stats may go down a little.

Do it.

Well that was rude, how about some insight into your genius, and some logic on why this would be a good move, or some info on Wood, a player that people here already say they don't know much about, other than "do it".

drewcifer
11-05-2007, 05:37 PM
[quote=drewcifer;1715755]He actually looks like he's been declining since A ball. /quote]

Do it.

Sure, but his dropoff is pretty significant. Oh, and Uribe was actually better. (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/U/Juan-Uribe.shtml)

Sargeant79
11-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Maybe I'm falling into the trap of overvaluing our own players that so many of us on here tend to do, but I hope we would be getting back a Scot Shields or someone like that as well. Wood seems to have promise, but you don't really know if he will be able to hit major league pitching at all next year (or for years to come). I'd be skeptical, but optimistic if that trade were to go through.

By the way...anyone catch that apparently he has a little bit of speed in addition to his power? 21 SBs in 2004, 18 in 2006, 10 last year.

weareud
11-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Sure, but his dropoff is pretty significant. Oh, and Uribe was actually better. (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/U/Juan-Uribe.shtml)

Actually...no.

Woods career minor league numbers in 5 seasons: .282 avg, .350OBP, 107 HR, 387 RBI and 60 stolen bases

Uribe in 5 seasons: .274, .320 obp, 30 HR, 182 RBI, and 53 SB

Can't really say where I see where Uribe was better.

Daver
11-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Actually...no.

Woods career minor league numbers in 5 seasons: .282 avg, .350OBP, 107 HR, 387 RBI and 60 stolen bases

So what, numbers tell me nothing, can the guy play baseball?

drewcifer
11-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Actually...no.

Look at AAA.

Uribe: .310 / .340 /.530 in 74 games. 43 SOs; 12 BBs.

Wood: .272 / .338 /.497 in 111 games. 120 SOs; 45 BBs.

You were calling me obvious for pointing out decline in progressing through the minors. Uribe was better in AAA than your boy has been so far. He also didn't bounce around between AAA and AA, but I don't know if there's any reason for that beyond his performance.

Where does Wood hit in the order?

FireMariotti
11-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Look at AAA.

Uribe: .310 / .340 /.530 in 74 games. 43 SOs; 12 BBs.

Wood: .272 / .338 /.497 in 111 games. 120 SOs; 45 BBs.

You were calling me obvious for pointing out decline in progressing through the minors. Uribe was better in AAA than your boy has been so far. He also didn't bounce around between AAA and AA, but I don't know if there's any reason for that beyond his performance.

Where does Wood hit in the order?

Wow, 120 SO's in AAA in only 111 games? No thanks.

Brian26
11-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Kenny's asking about the wrong guy. He needs to look at their second baseman.

Tragg
11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure I like him for Garland, but I'll for sure take a young SS.
Beats a retread.

SoxSpeed22
11-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I doubt that KW will help an AL team by trading Garland, but with Cabrera playing as well as he is, Aybar (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/Erick-Aybar.shtml) seems to fit more of what we need. He doesn't have as much pop as Wood, but is only 23, can steal bases well, does not strike out as frequently. Can he play in the majors? Who the hell knows until you try. That's the case with all prospects.

upperdeckusc
11-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Kenny's asking about the wrong guy. He needs to look at their second baseman.

you'd have as much luck asking the yankees for cano. everybody is high on kendrick, he's a star in the making, and is definitely not available for anything reasonable.

The Dude
11-05-2007, 11:30 PM

Do it.

:rolling:
I agree. I like this deal the more I read about it. DO IT:gulp:

drewcifer
11-06-2007, 05:14 AM
:rolling:
I agree. I like this deal the more I read about it. DO IT:gulp:

At least you're consistent. He's definitely your kind of player. His Ks and plate discipline seem perfect for killing rallys, squandering opportunities, and putting a load on pitching. He's just like Rex. How's he doing, by the way?

rdivaldi
11-06-2007, 09:24 AM
I almost fell over when I read that Uribe was "better" than Brandon Wood. Those AAA stats for Uribe are inflated due to his playing in the thin air of Colorado in a small ballpark. Brandon Wood is viewed as one of the top prospects in baseball guys, please remember that.

Wow, 120 SO's in AAA in only 111 games? No thanks.

Guess we should get rid of Fields then, eh?

drewcifer
11-06-2007, 10:16 AM
I almost fell over when I read that Uribe was "better" than Brandon Wood. Those AAA stats for Uribe are inflated due to his playing in the thin air of Colorado in a small ballpark. Brandon Wood is viewed as one of the top prospects in baseball guys, please remember that.

Guess we should get rid of Fields then, eh?

Yeah, that makes sense. In heavier air, Uribe would've probably fanned 77 more times in 30 games. :rolleyes:

I know nothing about this guy, admittedly. Just his numbers. In looking at them, he appears to offer nothing over Uribe is more the point. Another free swinging, high K hitter is what he looks like. There are even better options from the same team, as others have pointed out.

At least I'm trying to offer something constructive by looking at some real information instead of some dumb generalizations, a "do it", and some cute pictures.

Brian Anderson was viewed as a top prospect. Bradon McCarthy was. So was Joe Borchard. Lots of guys are. So what? There is nothing I see that indicates this guy should be considered so for the Chicago White Sox, but if I'm missing something, please feel free to point it out.

rdivaldi
11-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Brian Anderson was viewed as a top prospect. Bradon McCarthy was. So was Joe Borchard. Lots of guys are. So what? There is nothing I see that indicates this guy should be considered so for the Chicago White Sox, but if I'm missing something, please feel free to point it out.

Wood has a quick bat with a lot of pop, plays good defense and isn't a base clogger. His K rate was down last year and is not a base clogger.

You can search the web and find plenty of scouting reports on him, he's an elite level prospect by most sources.

rdivaldi
11-06-2007, 10:38 AM
At least I'm trying to offer something constructive by looking at some real information instead of some dumb generalizations, a "do it", and some cute pictures.

I'd say you're looking at one stat and jumping to conclusions, but that's just me...

Sargeant79
11-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Yeah, that makes sense. In heavier air, Uribe would've probably fanned 77 more times in 30 games. :rolleyes:

I know nothing about this guy, admittedly. Just his numbers. In looking at them, he appears to offer nothing over Uribe is more the point. Another free swinging, high K hitter is what he looks like. There are even better options from the same team, as others have pointed out.

When it comes to prospects, numbers don't tell the entire story. Scouting reports are just as important. A lot of the time, certain skills won't translate to numbers early in someone's career, at least not while they are still ascending on their learning curve. The numbers, while important, tell only what someone has done so far...scouting reports will often be able to identify for laymen like us what a player can possibly become.

Huisj
11-06-2007, 10:57 AM
As far as the Uribe vs. Wood AAA stat comments are going, it's also of note that Uribe was 20 years old when he played that half season at AAA.

oeo
11-06-2007, 12:17 PM
As far as the Uribe vs. Wood AAA stat comments are going, it's also of note that Uribe was 20 years old when he played that half season at AAA.

And Uribe was highly touted at one point. His knock was always being lazy.

I don't know anything about Wood's work ethic, but he can become a better big league player if he does not slack off like Uribe did. Uribe has a lot of talent, he just never took the time to use it; Wood could be completely different.

SBSoxFan
11-06-2007, 12:42 PM
I doubt that KW will help an AL team by trading Garland, but with Cabrera playing as well as he is, Aybar (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/Erick-Aybar.shtml) seems to fit more of what we need. He doesn't have as much pop as Wood, but is only 23, can steal bases well, does not strike out as frequently. Can he play in the majors? Who the hell knows until you try. That's the case with all prospects.

Not yet. He's 5/9 in his major league career. In the minors, he had a 65% (184/282) SB success rate. Comparatively, Pods has a 76% (224/294) success rate and Crawford 83% (277/334) for their ML careers. Minor league numbers - Pods 74%, Crawford 77%.

The Dude
11-06-2007, 05:12 PM
At least you're consistent. He's definitely your kind of player. His Ks and plate discipline seem perfect for killing rallys, squandering opportunities, and putting a load on pitching. He's just like Rex. How's he doing, by the way?

So do you hate Fields for K'ing a lot?

Yeah Rex is a pretty bad baseball player. He really knows how to put a load on pitching. :rolleyes:
It's amazing how the anti-Rex people find a way to add him into every conversation! The poor guy is on the bench while we have an inept journeyman QB starting. Rex will get another shot next season with a different team and I wish him the best. I've honestly never seen a player in any sport get the **** this guy has gotten.

I'm glad you have such a great memory drewboy. I must have forgotten our past arguments. :D:

SoxSpeed22
11-06-2007, 06:47 PM
So, based on nothing but numbers, Wood is already being compared to the being of inconceivable horror, aka, Rex Grossman.
Wood might strike out a little more than necessary, but is probably an upgrade from Uribe. He's a young player who can work on striking out less and using all sides of the field.

fquaye149
11-06-2007, 07:01 PM
So what, numbers tell me nothing, can the guy play baseball?

Word is he can. Sounds like he's likely to be an average defensive SS but with a great stick and a solid eye

drewcifer
11-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Word is he can. Sounds like he's likely to be an average defensive SS but with a great stick and a solid eye

XM is reporting today that the Angels added Sean Rodriguez (http://thebaseballcube.com/players/R/Sean-Rodriguez.shtml) to their 40 man. Seems they may not have Wood in their future plans.

JohnTucker0814
11-07-2007, 08:43 AM
didn't the Angels move him to 3B last season?

drewcifer
11-07-2007, 08:51 AM
didn't the Angels move him to 3B last season?

Yeah, looks like 10 games or so that didn't go well. I was talking about SS plans though, so maybe there is something behind the rumor.

Britt Burns
11-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Wood is still a great prospect, but expectations for him have dropped after his incredible 2005 season. Also keep in mind that his last 3 stops were in hitter-friendly leagues: Cal in 05, Texas in 06, and the PCL in 07.