PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Players

Rockabilly
11-05-2007, 05:31 PM
I have heard and seen clips of Fukudome and think he would be a nice pick up for the Sox but does anyone know any of the other players who will be free agents and have a good scouting report..

russ99
11-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I have heard and seen clips of Fukudome and think he would be a nice pick up for the Sox but does anyone know any of the other players who will be free agents and have a good scouting report..

The rumors I hear say that Fukudome won't come cheap. If the Sox are going to blow $8-10M per season on an outfielder, I'd rather see it spent on someone who's proven they can hit big league pitching.

Look at the Red Sox and Dice-K. All that cash, and only a medium good performance out of him, in his first year anyway.

PalehosePlanet
11-05-2007, 06:12 PM
I hope KW and the scouting department is looking into possibly finding a solid RP in the Japanese leagues. I'm sure a setup guy or a middle reliever wouldn't cost too much.

WhiteSox5187
11-05-2007, 07:47 PM
What's the name of that shortstop over there? Isn't he supposed to be coming to the MLB this off season?

upperdeckusc
11-05-2007, 08:00 PM
What's the name of that shortstop over there? Isn't he supposed to be coming to the MLB this off season?

oh yea. i wanna say kioka or nioka(sp)? havent heard much about him lately. definitely an intriguing idea if he's available.

Daver
11-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I hope KW and the scouting department is looking into possibly finding a solid RP in the Japanese leagues. I'm sure a setup guy or a middle reliever wouldn't cost too much.

The White Sox do very little scouting of the international market.

WhiteSox5187
11-05-2007, 09:46 PM
The White Sox do very little scouting of the international market.
Based on the state of our farm system I would go so far as to say the Sox do little scouting, period.

FedEx227
11-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Based on the state of our farm system I would go so far as to say the Sox do little scouting, period.

Exactly. It'd be nice for us to be able to get a focus either way. Plugging holes with veterans can be costly and dangerous.

jabrch
11-05-2007, 11:35 PM
The rumors I hear say that Fukudome won't come cheap. If the Sox are going to blow $8-10M per season on an outfielder, I'd rather see it spent on someone who's proven they can hit big league pitching.

While I don't disagree, who are you thinking of that will go for 8-10mm and is proven to be able to hit? The guys who are proven will go for closer to 15mm.

oeo
11-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Personally, I'd rather Kenny take a chance on a pitcher than a position player. After the success of Saito and Okajima the last two years, I don't see why he can't.

Hitoki Iwase (http://thebaseballcube.com/players/I/Hitoki-Iwase.shtml) is rumored to be coming over...why not take a chance on him? IMO, we have nothing to lose, as long as we fill a couple other bullpen spots.

Masahide Kobayashi (http://thebaseballcube.com/players/K/Masahide-Kobayashi.shtml) (not the hot dog eating guy) is also supposed to be coming over, and would probably come at a cheaper price.

Even if we only get one fluke year from the guy (like Shingo), I think it's worth it.

FedEx227
11-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Personally, I'd rather Kenny take a chance on a pitcher than a position player. After the success of Saito and Okajima the last two years, I don't see why he can't.

Hitoki Iwase (http://thebaseballcube.com/players/I/Hitoki-Iwase.shtml) is rumored to be coming over...why not take a chance on him? IMO, we have nothing to lose, as long as we fill a couple other bullpen spots.

Masahide Kobayashi (http://thebaseballcube.com/players/K/Masahide-Kobayashi.shtml) (not the hot dog eating guy) is also supposed to be coming over, and would probably come at a cheaper price.

Even if we only get one fluke year from the guy (like Shingo), I think it's worth it.

I'd be more than happy to take a flier on one of these two, what do we have to lose?

In recent years there hasn't been many Japanese busts the last big one was Kaz Matsui and he's even making a slight name for himself in Colorado.

But as you mentioned Saito has been great, as has a number of other Japanese imports.

white sox bill
11-06-2007, 10:57 AM

May I ask how do you pronounce his name? Isn't this a family board??:smile:

FedEx227
11-06-2007, 11:09 AM
May I ask how do you pronounce his name? Isn't this a family board??:smile:

I believe it's FOOK-UOO-DOE-MAY

russ99
11-06-2007, 12:19 PM
While I don't disagree, who are you thinking of that will go for 8-10mm and is proven to be able to hit? The guys who are proven will go for closer to 15mm.

Since we're talking about LF and not the impending Hunter CF signing (no teal? :D:) - I was equating those salary numbers with who the Sox could get on the trade market and not as free agents.

Rockabilly
11-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Yasuhiko Yabuta - Yabuta, the right-handed set up man for the Chiba Lotte Marines, is probably best known for striking out A-Rod, Derrek Lee, and Johnny Damon in the 2006 World Baseball Classic. The Chicago White Sox need a set-up man and are rumored to have a strong interest in Yabuta, who has racked up 86 holds and a sub 3.00 ERA over the last 3 years for the Marines despite not panning out as a starter.