PDA

View Full Version : Imagine...

MCHSoxFan
11-04-2007, 12:08 PM
A lot of people here at WSI are saying that this teams needs a TON of trades/acquisitions to be made in order to even win just 80/85 games in 2008. Personally, I disagree. Anyways, just imagine how bad the situation would be if the White Sox did NOT resign Mark Buhrle and Jermaine Dye as well as extend AJ's time here. That, in my opinion would be just terrible. I think the Sox are doing a better job then what we think they are doing. Don't get me wrong, there are some changes that are needed to improve, I just don't think this team is 100%, pure crap. How do you feel about what the Sox have done regarding keeping this team good after reading this?

DumpJerry
11-04-2007, 12:49 PM
I agree. I've always said that 2007 was a fluke. Too many injuries spurred too many slumps by guys who had to carry a larger load than normal.

In my mind, 2007 was a great year for the White Sox. Since May or so, we started 4+ guys each day who were bench or AAA players. Now we have a huge pool of talent with a ton of Big Show experience who are not starters, but can be relied on more than if 2007 was an injury-free year with the same basic 9 guys starting each game.

drewcifer
11-04-2007, 02:43 PM
I agree. I've always said that 2007 was a fluke. Too many injuries spurred too many slumps by guys who had to carry a larger load than normal.

In my mind, 2007 was a great year for the White Sox. Since May or so, we started 4+ guys each day who were bench or AAA players. Now we have a huge pool of talent with a ton of Big Show experience who are not starters, but can be relied on more than if 2007 was an injury-free year with the same basic 9 guys starting each game.

That's a good way of finding a silver lining in what was otherwise an atrocious, excruciating season for us fans.

I'll agree with 'ya with you though, Dump except where it pertains to our bullpen. There is nothing to rely on in an Aardsma, or Sisco, or Bukvich. Massett maybe, but most likely not him either.

*Edit - Logan was a better showing last year than in '06. I should give him credit.

MCHSoxFan
11-04-2007, 02:50 PM

You just made my day!!! :D:

DumpJerry
11-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I'll agree with 'ya with you though, Dump except where it pertains to our bullpen. There is nothing to rely on in an Aardsma, or Sisco, or Bukvich. Massett maybe, but most likely not him either.

*Edit - Logan was a better showing last year than in '06. I should give him credit.
Bukvich is already gone. Aardsma and Sisco were not starters. I should have clarified, I meant the position players.

I'm sure there will be 2 or 3 new faces in the Bullpen this year, that's the norm no matter what happened the previous season for a Bullpen.

WhiteSox5187
11-04-2007, 07:37 PM
I think in 2005 we had a good team that caught all the breaks, in 2007 we had a good team (on paper) that caught absolutely no breaks. If it could go wrong it DID go wrong for us this year. It's one of those "what ifs" type of years, what if Erstad and Pods had stayed healthy all year? What if JD wasn't hurting in the first half of the year? What if Thome wasn't out so much? I still think the bullpen was a complete and utter disaster, but we did suffer a lot of injuries...Having said that I think it would be a huge mistake for us to sit back on our laurells and say "Well, this year was a fluke..." but I don't think Kenny is going to do that.

chisox77
11-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I tend to agree with DumpJerry's assessment. But I still want Torii Hunter in CF, in a White Sox uniform. A couple good setup arms in the bullpen would help as well.

:cool:

The Real Me
11-04-2007, 10:36 PM
We need CF (Jones or Hunter) and a leadoff man, but more importantly, the whole bullpen pretty much needs to be overhauled, save for Jenks.

DumpJerry
11-05-2007, 12:02 AM
I tend to agree with DumpJerry's assessment. But I still want Torii Hunter in CF, in a White Sox uniform. A couple good setup arms in the bullpen would help as well.

:cool:
Thanks for the props. I also want Torii in CF in our pinstripes next year. I think we have a good shot at it happening. He has said he likes to play in Comiskey. He said he picks up the ball real well in Center, the walls are nicely padded (a requirement which has taken the Cubs out of contention) and he hits well in Comiskey. He also said he does not want to play in Fenway because those "crazy" (his word) walls in Center broke his ankle a few years ago. What more does a guy need?

upperdeckusc
11-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the props. I also want Torii in CF in our pinstripes next year. I think we have a good shot at it happening. He has said he likes to play in Comiskey. He said he picks up the ball real well in Center, the walls are nicely padded (a requirement which has taken the Cubs out of contention) and he hits well in Comiskey. He also said he does not want to play in Fenway because those "crazy" (his word) walls in Center broke his ankle a few years ago. What more does a guy need?

nothing....it'd be a great fit. now, all the sox need is for torii to give us a discount, maybe 4yrs52mil, for playing in such favorable conditions.

russ99
11-05-2007, 12:57 PM
It's all good and nice to think we'd be OK in 2008 if we stand pat, but I really don't think that's possible.

Also, just think what Jerry would do at the trade deadline if the team was sub .450 and the stands are half-empty all next season.

This team needs something big to turn the downswing around.

IlliniSox4Life
11-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Torii would be a good fit here, as much as I dislike the guy. My hatred for him has diminished a lot over the last year and a half though, so maybe if we sign him, by opening day I will actually like him (I'm sure I would, my hatred is pretty irrational).