PDA

View Full Version : Sox ARMY Stand UP!

SOXfnNlansing
11-04-2007, 10:21 AM
There is "The United Countries of Baseball" map on MLB.com. You enter your zip code and the map shows your team's fan base geographically along with the other teams.

http://www.unitedcountriesofbaseball.com/

BV2005
11-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Im a little nervouse that the White Sox Territory is surrounded by the Cubs Territory. I hope they dont plan some kind of invasion.

Lorenzo Barcelo
11-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Sounds like this is a good marketing ploy to get a better understand of where fan bases are.

MarySwiss
11-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Well, I voted White Sox, FWIW.

Dickie Kerr
11-04-2007, 11:01 PM
A few things strick a little weird on that map:

1. The Nationals are so popular?

2 The Mets have New Jersey over the Yankees?

October26
11-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Okay, I voted. White Sox, of course.

Oh yeah, and don't let Bud Selig see all that vacant land with no teams populating the western half of the US or we'll be hearing proposals for an Idaho Potatoes team and who knows what other territories so he can "fill in the map".

whitesoxwilkes
11-05-2007, 09:17 AM
A few things strick a little weird on that map:

1. The Nationals are so popular?

2 The Mets have New Jersey over the Yankees?

Yeah. Connecticut gets the Yanks fans, Jersey has the Mets fans.

IlliniSox4Life
11-05-2007, 09:18 AM
It'd be interesting to see actual square mileage of these land masses they have designated. From what it looks like, the Mets would have the smallest area with the Orioles, DRays, Padres, Angels, and Sox in the next 5 spots. Obviously that doesn't really tell you much because the Mets probably have one of the top 5 fan bases population wise in baseball, but still interesting to think of what teams have a lot of fans where their team isn't the one that is cheered for the most in that area.

chaerulez
11-05-2007, 10:46 AM
The Cubs fanbase reaches out to Indiana and Michigan?

As for Jersey, the Phillies also has a lot of Jersey fans.

pmck003
11-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I find it hard to believe that map actually represents the zip codes entered

thomas35forever
11-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Hard to believe the Astros get all of Louisiana.

MISoxfan
11-05-2007, 01:55 PM

As for Jersey, the Phillies also has a lot of Jersey fans.

Big time, its all Chicago sports teams in Southwest Michigan. Until Cable that is where all of our broadcasting came from. Well Chicago and South Bend. There are also a lot of White Sox fans as well.

getonbckthr
11-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Please stop with the Sox Army stuff.

Hitmen77
11-05-2007, 02:10 PM
To be accurate, shouldn't there just be tiny rings around each MLB city with the rest of the nation belonging to the Red Sox and Cubs?

Seriously though, is this map supposed to be based on the team with the most fans in each area? If so, I'm sorry - as much as I'd like for it to be otherwise, the only place I can see being majority White Sox is the South Side of Chicago and also the South and Southwest suburbs. I'm not sure about NW Indiana. Anywhere else, no matter how many Sox fans there are around, there are even more Lovable Loser fans. Are those areas in NW Wisconsin really Brewers territory? Some of those places are alot closer to the Twin Cities than to Milwaukee. Same goes for areas of the U.P. - they are a long ways from Detroit.

MrT27
11-05-2007, 02:54 PM
I don't get the "unincorporated territories", people who live in those area root for someone.

Procol Harum
11-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I'm tending to think the "map" was conceived by the Nike people as a clever markerting name and e-mail gatherer. I don't believe for a minute that the area out by Rockford, Freeport, Sterling, Dixon, and out to the Quad Cities are White Sox territory--that's Cub turf, pure and simple. I think the Nike people drew it that way simply not to tick off White Sox fans. Our true turf would show up as the South Side, southern burbs (feathering out the further north, west, and south you went), NW Indiana, and a strip up the Michigan coast of Lake Michigan to about Muskegon.

Frater Perdurabo
11-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I'm tending to think the "map" was conceived by the Nike people as a clever markerting name and e-mail gatherer. I don't believe for a minute that the area out by Rockford, Freeport, Sterling, Dixon, and out to the Quad Cities are White Sox territory--that's Cub turf, pure and simple. I think the Nike people drew it that way simply not to tick off White Sox fans. Our true turf would show up as the South Side, southern burbs (feathering out the further north, west, and south you went), NW Indiana, and a strip up the Michigan coast of Lake Michigan to about Muskegon.

Well, and a tiny Vatican City-sized mini-state down here in DFW, full of transplanted Sox fans. We at least should have an embassy here.

chisoxfanatic
11-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Further proof that NO team can truly pin the "NATION" tag on themselves!

ws05champs
11-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Im a little nervouse that the White Sox Territory is surrounded by the Cubs Territory. I hope they dont plan some kind of invasion.
The Sox army is made up of paratroopers. We fight best when we are surrounded. And lets face it the Cubs Territory is made up of - well Cubs fans. No problem.

gobears1987
11-05-2007, 08:29 PM
The Sox army is made up of paratroopers. We fight best when we are surrounded. And lets face it the Cubs Territory is made up of - well Cubs fans. No problem.
And we don't need no stinking 3rd Army to bust us out of it too!

SoxRox
11-05-2007, 10:23 PM
VERY COOL! Looks like a cool old 1850's map of the Republic.

I think the Sox area should be bigger, of course. I would say, outside of the NYC & Chicago areas, it's probably about right in the general geographic concentration of the fan base of each team.

I even bought the T-shirt. What can I say...I LOVES ME A GOOD MAP.

I hope they print a poster!

-SoxRox

chisox77
11-06-2007, 07:45 AM
White Sox Army?

How about White Sox Train! Nothing rolls like a train.

:cool:

infohawk
11-06-2007, 09:05 AM
It's a pretty cool map, but the whole thing is really designed so Nike can get your e-mail address. Still, pretty neat.

PKalltheway
11-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I'm tending to think the "map" was conceived by the Nike people as a clever markerting name and e-mail gatherer.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I have a hard time believing that the Rangers have a bigger fanbase in Texas than the much more successful Houston Astros. Plus I don't believe that the Nationals have quite that big of a fanbase, but they had to have a presence in some way, shape, or form on that map. You could probably make the Rockies' territory a little bigger now too, considering their recent success this year.

That map would make for a pretty cool poster though.

Nellie_Fox
11-06-2007, 02:31 PM
It's a pretty cool map, but the whole thing is really designed so Nike can get your e-mail address. Still, pretty neat.Which is why I didn't add a Minnesota Zip Code to the data base. There's no reason they need an email address to do something like that.

itsnotrequired
11-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Which is why I didn't add a Minnesota Zip Code to the data base. There's no reason they need an email address to do something like that.

I used the address "lenniebriscoe@lawandorder.com".

WhiteSoxJunkie
11-06-2007, 06:16 PM

My cousin's husband, who grew up near Indy, said southern Indiana also has a decent amount of Reds fans to go with the Sox and Cubs.

chisoxfanatic
11-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I have a hard time believing that the Rangers have a bigger fanbase in Texas than the much more successful Houston Astros. Plus I don't believe that the Nationals have quite that big of a fanbase, but they had to have a presence in some way, shape, or form on that map. You could probably make the Rockies' territory a little bigger now too, considering their recent success this year.

That map would make for a pretty cool poster though.
When I was in Austin for a conference, the general feel I got was that you are either an all-Houston fan or all-Dallas fan (Spurs fans excluded). The impression I got was that the Dallas fanbase stretches much further than Houston.

Gammons Peter
11-07-2007, 12:42 PM
http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2920850&cp=2637764

The vote is a scam. The shirts are already printed!!

russ99
11-07-2007, 04:23 PM
That's pretty funny. I don't know any Cub fans in Indiana...

Also isn't it ironic that the Cubs logo and the biggest contiguous area is in Iowa. :D: