PDA

View Full Version : Sox scouting Glendon Rusch

rowand33
11-03-2007, 03:51 PM
per rotoworld:

Free agent Glendon Rusch, who sat out 2007 following the diagnosis of a blood clot in his lung, threw for teams on Friday.

Scouts from the Twins, Padres, Astros, Royals, Mariners, White Sox, Marlins, Athletics, Reds and Rockies were in attendence to watch Rusch throw about 60 pitches and top out at 86-87 mph. He'll probably throw for scouts one more time before he considers signing a contract for 2008. It's possible he'll get a guaranteed one-year deal.
Source: Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-rusch110207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

The sad thing is, he'd be a significant upgrade for our bullpen...

Watch him end up going to the twins and winning 17 games.... no teal.

oeo
11-03-2007, 04:23 PM
per rotoworld:

<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

The sad thing is, he'd be a significant upgrade for our bullpen...

Watch him end up going to the twins and winning 17 games.... no teal.

Am I missing something here? It's bad that the Sox are scouting somebody? :?:

Dont Stop Belivn
11-03-2007, 04:37 PM
he was decent in the pen for the cubs for a couple of years, so i might consider it. Maybe a minimum contract with some incentives

getonbckthr
11-03-2007, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't want him in the rotation but as a long reliever for the days that are starter gets roughed up early isn't a horrible idea.

rowand33
11-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Am I missing something here? It's bad that the Sox are scouting somebody? :?:

Yes.

Scouting him means that somebody in the organization thinks he might have value.

Just say no to Glendon Rusch and his career 5.01 ERA.

oeo
11-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Yes.

Scouting him means that somebody in the organization thinks he might have value.

Just say no to Glendon Rusch and his career 5.01 ERA.

They obviously wanted to find out if he had 'value', which is why they scouted him. It's not like they're planning on giving him a big contract. Who cares that they spent some time checking out what he had? Since when is that bad?

itsnotrequired
11-03-2007, 07:50 PM
They obviously wanted to find out if he had 'value', which is why they scouted him. It's not like they're planning on giving him a big contract. Who cares that they spent some time checking out what he had? Since when is that bad?

He used to be on the Cubs. ZOMG I H8 THEM SO MUCH!!!

pierzynski07
11-03-2007, 07:59 PM
His ERA at the Cell is 1.93 (albet over just 9.1 innings).

What's Kenny waiting for?

slavko
11-03-2007, 08:23 PM
The best thing he does on a baseball field is swing the bat. AL is the wrong league for him. He started a memorable game I saw at Wrigley in the stretch drive of '04 that LaToya blew for him. At his best, he's a mildly useful guy. No one with a farm system that produced players would consider him, so I guess he fits us like a glove.

spiffie
11-04-2007, 01:26 AM
The best thing he does on a baseball field is swing the bat. AL is the wrong league for him. He started a memorable game I saw at Wrigley in the stretch drive of '04 that LaToya blew for him. At his best, he's a mildly useful guy. No one with a farm system that produced players would consider him, so I guess he fits us like a glove.
Funny that the quote mentioned the Rockies, A's, Marlins, and Twins, all teams that have been producing players for a while now, as being among the teams scouting him. I guess they were just there for punch and pie.

Frater Perdurabo
11-04-2007, 07:22 AM
I have no problem with the Sox scouting and veteran pitchers, and not problem with them signing any veteran pitchers, as long as the Sox think they can help the team.

Tragg
11-04-2007, 08:45 AM
I don't know what he's got left, but I much prefer veteran relief pitchers who have started a lot in their careers, v. peak achievement as a middle reliever, which is what we had last year.

Brian26
11-04-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm confident a guy like Rusch would be a huge improvement over Bukvich.

white sox bill
11-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Is this the best we can do? Pass

FedEx227
11-04-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm confident a guy like Rusch would be a huge improvement over Bukvich.

Or an improvement on Myers.

Brian26
11-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Is this the best we can do? Pass

Remember that the Sox aren't necessarily looking to replace their closer. They're looking to plug gaps at the back of the bullpen. If Rusch is your #6 guy in the bullpen and is able to move everyone else up a spot, that helps out the entire bullpen.

The path to a championship team, as proved in 2005, is a series of successful smaller moves, as opposed to one big acquisition. Mariano Rivera would look great in a Sox uniform, but that's not realistic, nor would that single acquisition solve the entire bullpen mess.

spiffie
11-04-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't know what he's got left, but I much prefer veteran relief pitchers who have started a lot in their careers, v. peak achievement as a middle reliever, which is what we had last year.
As opposed to 2005 where we had 1 starter converted to relief in 2001, four guys who had never been primary closers or starters (which by definition kind of makes them middle relievers), and Bobby Jenks (and briefly Shingo Takatsu).

Tragg
11-04-2007, 07:49 PM
As opposed to 2005 where we had 1 starter converted to relief in 2001, four guys who had never been primary closers or starters (which by definition kind of makes them middle relievers), and Bobby Jenks (and briefly Shingo Takatsu).
No, in accordance with 2005 when we had exactly ONE career middle reliever and he was the last guy in our pen (Viz). Otherwise we had Shingo/Jenks, Marte who was our best relief pitcher from 2001-2004 pitching primarily as 8th or 9th inning pitcher and assuredly not a middle reliever, Cotts who was a young pitcher in his 2nd or so year, and then Hermanson and Polite BOTH of whom had started significantly.
To summarize, we had ONE career middle reliever in 2005.

A. Cavatica
11-04-2007, 09:40 PM
If Rusch is your #6 guy in the bullpen and is able to move everyone else up a spot, that helps out the entire bullpen.

Um, no. If we got a #2 reliever and we were able to push everyone else down a spot, it would help out the entire bullpen. A #6 guy doesn't take innings away from anyone else, and doesn't help out anyone else. If he causes the previous #6 guy to start pitching in #5 roles that he's not able to handle, the #6 guy hurts the entire bullpen.

Lip Man 1
11-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Just as a point of clarification, according to Retrosheet, Politte appeared in 232 major league games before the start of the 2005 season. 16 of those were as a starter and none since 2000.

I don't think I'd categorize this as a 'significant' amount of starting experience.

Lip

The Real Me
11-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I heard Scott Kaminiecki is available, too.

spiffie
11-05-2007, 02:33 PM
No, in accordance with 2005 when we had exactly ONE career middle reliever and he was the last guy in our pen (Viz). Otherwise we had Shingo/Jenks, Marte who was our best relief pitcher from 2001-2004 pitching primarily as 8th or 9th inning pitcher and assuredly not a middle reliever, Cotts who was a young pitcher in his 2nd or so year, and then Hermanson and Polite BOTH of whom had started significantly.
To summarize, we had ONE career middle reliever in 2005.
Ahhh, I love quoting these stats, because you keep on using this fallacy over and over again, never ever letting the facts get in the way of it.

Hermanson I agree with, he has significant starting experience.

Out of Vizcaino, Cotts, Politte, Marte coming into the 2005 season they had a combined total of 21 career starts. They had the following career stats regarding closer/relief work. And I'm sorry, but if you're not a closer, you're a middle reliever. There's a reason no one knows how many holds any pitcher has in a given year. So yes, Marte made many late game appearances, but what do we take from that, other than that the Sox did not trust him enough to make him a full time closer? It certainly isn't because they had stellar talent in front of him, as he was losing save opportunities to guys like Billy Koch and Antonio Osuna.

Marte: 27 svs/241 appearances (11.20%)
Cotts: 0 svs/60 appearances (0.00%)
Vizcaino: 7 svs/273 appearances (2.56%)
Politte: 14 svs/216 appearances (6.48%)

So in the end the Sox 2005 bullpen was a 35 year old Japanese trick pitcher, a converted starter, a later-inning setup man not able to be trusted with the ninth inning save chance on a consistent basis (hey, sounds like LaTroy Hawkins), 2 grizzled veterans who had done basically their entire career in middle relief, a young pitcher who spent basically all his major league career in the pen (and note that since 2005 he hasn't ventured from the pen to the rotation anywhere since), and a AA player everyone saw as a headcase.