PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Owens - A Long-Term Solution

SouthSideLove
11-03-2007, 12:26 PM
I would like to get people's reactions and opinions on young Jerry O. Personally, I was very impressed with him this past season. Despite those pesky 63 Ks, and batting only .267, the guy is lightening in a bottle on the base paths. If we can somehow sign/trade for a top flight CF, stick Owens in LF, and trade Crede off for a better SS, I like our lineup and defensive depth.

Thoughts?

dickallen15
11-03-2007, 12:55 PM
John Cangelosi stole 50 bases as a rookie, and he turned out to be a competent back up. Owens had a good September. Other than that, his numbers besides the SB, were brutal. He's not all that young either. He would be a decent 4th OF, PR, a guy to bring in to get a bunt down, but not a regular if you are planning on winning.

AJ Hellraiser
11-03-2007, 01:42 PM
I agree that I liked what I saw... I would still like to try addressing the leadoff role from outside the organization whether it be Carl Crawford, Rafael Furcal or someone else....

However, if that doesn't work out... I'd rather see Owens out there than Crisp or Patterson

misty60481
11-03-2007, 02:01 PM
If hes starting in outfield next year were really in trouble.

hi im skot
11-03-2007, 02:15 PM
I think Owens is going to be a solid starter, especially if he's given the chance to start this year. He only improved as '07 progressed, and I'm hopeful that a full season will display the good things he's capable of.

Frater Perdurabo
11-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I think Owens is a Pods starter kit. Pods always had speed in the minors, but it took him several years to learn to hit and was something of a late bloomer. Owens hasn't played baseball for very long, but already he's shown some positives. If he can learn to bunt and also drive the ball into the outfield, he could develop into a competent leadoff hitter. But he's not there yet.

chisox77
11-03-2007, 05:32 PM
I think Owens progressed nicely last season. To me, he showed enough ability to be kept around as a reserve outfielder, at least in this stage of his career. I still think that the White Sox need a strong CF (Hunter), and with Dye in right, Owens can play LF from time to time, depending on how KW is able to respond to roster demands this offseason.

Owens has some upside. I say keep him around, play him constantly in ST, see how it goes. He can develop into a .280+ hitter with increased bunting ability, and more patience at the plate to coax walks.

:cool:

Domeshot17
11-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Owens has minimal upside. Maybe he becomes a .275 hitter tops, but he is a poor mans Willie Harris. He steals bases better, but doesnt hit well, is a poor bunter, has no idea how to work counts or get himself on base, so he will never be more than a defensive snooze in the OF who cant get on base but the 30% of the time he does can run well. I dont mind him being the 4th OF and maybe even worked at 1b being left handed, but if he is starting, we won't be more then a 3rd-4th-5th place team.

JB98
11-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Owens = fourth outfielder.

Huisj
11-03-2007, 07:28 PM
he is a poor mans Willie Harris

Isn't Willie Harris usually the guy being described as the poor man version of someone? What does that make Owens?

Brian26
11-03-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm not convinced Owens can hit a major league fastball.

Daver
11-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Isn't Willie Harris usually the guy being described as the poor man version of someone? What does that make Owens?

He should probably learn the phrase "You want fries with that?"

JB98
11-03-2007, 09:16 PM

Good statement. I'm not convinced either. I think a lot of people like Owens because he steals bases, and that's an element we don't have anywhere else. But Jerry's total offensive skill set does not jump out at me.

RowanDye
11-03-2007, 09:26 PM
He should probably learn the phrase "You want fries with that?"

By that, I hope you agree with me that has Owens is already better than Will Harris will ever be.

Domeshot17
11-03-2007, 09:30 PM
By that, I hope you agree with me that has Owens is already better than Will Harris will ever be.

Not even close, and I don't even like Willie Harris.

Daver
11-03-2007, 09:45 PM

You're kidding right?

voodoochile
11-03-2007, 09:55 PM
You're kidding right?

Maybe he thinks Owens can work CF (concession stands)...

DoItForDanPasqua
11-04-2007, 10:28 AM
With the Sox being short on young talent, someone who is not yet eligible for free agency needs to come through for this team to succeed. Every hole they try to fill by throwing a multi-million dollar contract at it opens another.

The Sox are not going to spend like the two superpowers in the east. Some money has to be saved on position players to free up the cash for pitching. I'd rather have Owens in center and a solid bullpen, then a big name in center and anything that resembles 2007 relief.

kevin57
11-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Not only are the Sox not going to spend like those teams, they shouldn't see that route as the best one. Yes, Boston won the WS with a high payroll, but a lot of top notch teams do it with "middle-of-the-road" salaries. It's always a gamble, but when young talent clicks along with a few seasoned veterans, especially starting pitching, you'll go places.

I like Owens to be given a full chance to develop. His speed is indisputable and I'm tired of our squad imitating the March of the Sherman Tanks.

Frater Perdurabo
11-04-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't care how much the Sox spend on their payroll. But there are two things I definitely don't want:

1. Go cheap and refuse to pay fair value to make obvious upgrades;

2. Spend money on crap for the sake of spending money.

The important thing is to have a GM with enough foresight to make smart acquisitions that don't hamstring the team's long-term finances. So far KW has proven quite shrewd at doing so.

WhiteSox5187
11-04-2007, 06:34 PM
I think Jerry would be a great guy off the bench to steal bases late in games, I also think he would be a servicable number nine hitter, especially if he can somehow hit .267 with a lot of stolen bases - I would love that production from the nine hole, but he IS not the solution to leadoff next year.

jabrch
11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
If I had good enough foresight to say this definitively, then I wouldn't be posting on a message board.

But if we look at Owens performance since he got called up in July, and understand that he still only has about 350 ABs in the majors, you can say that Jerry Owens has the potential to be an effective everyday player for this team while he is making the league minimum. .278/.339 with 27 SBs in 281 ABs after the break is not too terrible for a rookie. Certainly you can't conclude that Owens can't at least be the solution in CF for a year or two while his salary is so cheap.

Is he Carlos Beltran? Nope - never will be. But he can be productive.

The Real Me
11-04-2007, 09:41 PM
A lot of you guys make very good points here.

Owens is just not an everyday MLB player from what I've seen. He probably has a good career as a 4th OF, a speed guy off the bench, etc., but I don't see him starting on a WS championship team.

11-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Ownes would be more productive as a WR for the Bears.

If he is a starting OF for the 2008 White Sox than were going to get used to 4th place after this year.

upperdeckusc
11-04-2007, 10:00 PM

i think hitting .260 in his rookie yr proves he has an idea of what to do with it.

upperdeckusc
11-04-2007, 10:10 PM
A lot of you guys make very good points here.

Owens is just not an everyday MLB player from what I've seen. He probably has a good career as a 4th OF, a speed guy off the bench, etc., but I don't see him starting on a WS championship team.

i keep seeing this phrase thrown around, and its probably the dumbest thing i hear regularly. there is no such thing as a lineup that can only win a championship "if, and only if, THIS TYPE of player starts at that position." if that was the case, the big money teams would win every year.

The Real Me
11-04-2007, 10:16 PM
i keep seeing this phrase thrown around, and its probably the dumbest thing i hear regularly. there is no such thing as a lineup that can only win a championship "if, and only if, THIS TYPE of player starts at that position." if that was the case, the big money teams would win every year.

Okay, is he potentially as good as, say, Coco Crisp? Probably. But are we the same kind of organization as Boston? No. That's my point.

October26
11-05-2007, 09:15 AM
I am hoping that our new 3rd base coach, Jeff Cox, will have a positive impact on Jerry Owens. What I am hearing (he did an interview on White Sox Weekly a couple of weeks ago) is that Jeff is being brought in to work on fundamentals, right? Well, Jerry Owens needs to bunt more. He needs to be able to bunt with his eyes closed, in his sleep, and in every situation that Ozzie wants him to. If Jerry can get on base, he represents a tremendous threat to pitchers and brings an element of speed that we desperately need on the Sox.

thomas35forever
11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Long-term? Too early to tell. I'd like to see him play a full season in the Majors before judging his ability.