PDA

View Full Version : Choice

misty60481
11-03-2007, 11:36 AM
If we dont do any good in Hunter, Rowand, Jones deals and we had to pick someone else. Who would you pick between Corey Patterson or Coco Crisp, I know this is just opinions and might never happen but I just wonder who you think is best between the two.

sox1970
11-03-2007, 11:47 AM
I don't see Corey Patterson playing for the Sox. They'd just settle for Owens at that point. So Crisp.

SouthSideLove
11-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Personally, I see more long-term promise in Owens than any of the people you have mentioned here.

Tragg
11-03-2007, 12:25 PM
The title of the thread made me cringe.

Crisp. He's a good player...nothing special, but good. Should come cheap.

cws05champ
11-03-2007, 12:59 PM
If we dont do any good in Hunter, Rowand, Jones deals and we had to pick someone else. Who would you pick between Corey Patterson or Coco Crisp, I know this is just opinions and might never happen but I just wonder who you think is best between the two.

Choice # 3: Cyanide

LITTLE NELL
11-03-2007, 01:25 PM
I'll go with Owens.

Hitmen77
11-03-2007, 01:46 PM
:thechoice

There is only one "Choice". I thought this thread was going to be about getting him back.

Huisj
11-03-2007, 02:18 PM
:thechoice

There is only one "Choice". I thought this thread was going to be about getting him back.

And he just got DFA'd by Boston too! He might be in better shape than Uribe.

TheVulture
11-04-2007, 11:57 AM
The problem with saying 'I'll just settle for Owens' is then you've still got a giant hole in LF. The Sox have to pick up an OFer, one way or another. I mean, Fields-Owens-Dye is a nightmare OF. I could live with Fields or Owens in left if you've got a Hunter in CF, but all three of those guys out there? Might as well just start every game down 1-0.

jabrch
11-04-2007, 01:56 PM
If that's the choice - that we pay money for Patterson or trade something for Crisp, then it is an easy call to stick with Owens.

Foulke You
11-05-2007, 01:05 PM
I have no idea why there is a sentiment among some people on WSI that Corey Patterson is a quality player that you win championships with. He is not a bargain. He is a terrible player. Just because he hit a bunch of HRs against the Sox in an O's uniform doesn't mean he is a good player. In his MLB career, Patterson had exactly 1/2 of a good season and that was way back in 2003. The initial question of Crisp vs. Patterson is a no brainer. I'll take Crisp in a NY second.

russ99
11-05-2007, 02:52 PM
I have no idea why there is a sentiment among some people on WSI that Corey Patterson is a quality player that you win championships with. He is not a bargain. He is a terrible player. Just because he hit a bunch of HRs against the Sox in an O's uniform doesn't mean he is a good player. In his MLB career, Patterson had exactly 1/2 of a good season and that was way back in 2003. The initial question of Crisp vs. Patterson is a no brainer. I'll take Crisp in a NY second.

Just take the above post and replace homers with steals, and we get Coco Crisp. Really, he had a half of a good season in Cleveland, and everyone seems to believe he's still the same highly regarded player he was as a prospect 4-5 years ago. He's got a funny name and a decent .OBP (overrated IMO) and that's it.

I vote none of the above. There's got to be better choices out there via FA or trade. Owens has a shot to be a decent player, but I think the Sox are best served having him as the speed guy on the bench in '08.

How about Torii in CF and Jose Guillen in LF? Then get Eckstein to lead off and play 2B or SS (if Uribe stays)... We'd probably have to deal some payroll to make it happen, maybe Crede to the Yankees for a solid reliever and a outfield prospect, and Garland for a starting pitcher and an infield prospect.

munchman33
11-05-2007, 04:08 PM

He's great defensively and runs like the wind. Has a little pop too. If he's your 9 hole guy, that's great.

johnr1note
11-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Just take the above post and replace homers with steals, and we get Coco Crisp. Really, he had a half of a good season in Cleveland, and everyone seems to believe he's still the same highly regarded player he was as a prospect 4-5 years ago. He's got a funny name and a decent .OBP (overrated IMO) and that's it.

Baseball Prospectus Blasphemy!!!

PennStater98r
11-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Baseball Prospectus Blasphemy!!!

:tealpolice:

Teal Blasphemy!!!

FedEx227
11-05-2007, 09:23 PM
How about Torii in CF and Jose Guillen in LF? Then get Eckstein to lead off and play 2B or SS (if Uribe stays)... We'd probably have to deal some payroll to make it happen, maybe Crede to the Yankees for a solid reliever and a outfield prospect, and Garland for a starting pitcher and an infield prospect.

Good god. What a dynamite outfield. Jose Guillen, Torii Hunter and Jermaine Dye. Beware 2003 the White Sox are here! Then you get Eckstein, so basically the only way we can get good is by ballooning the payroll to astronomical numbers by picking up veterans. That's great.

Guillen made $5 million last year, and had a half way decent season. You know he's going to be asking more. He'll be in the $7-9 million range. That would be a joke.

Plus Jose Guillen's arm is a complete waste in LF.

Plus you've created one of the slowest teams in MLB history. If Eckstein and Torii Hunter represent your speed, you're in big trouble. You'd make the Oakland Athletics look like the Devil Rays.

russ99
11-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Good god. What a dynamite outfield. Jose Guillen, Torii Hunter and Jermaine Dye. Beware 2003 the White Sox are here! Then you get Eckstein, so basically the only way we can get good is by ballooning the payroll to astronomical numbers by picking up veterans. That's great.

Guillen made $5 million last year, and had a half way decent season. You know he's going to be asking more. He'll be in the $7-9 million range. That would be a joke.

Plus Jose Guillen's arm is a complete waste in LF.

Plus you've created one of the slowest teams in MLB history. If Eckstein and Torii Hunter represent your speed, you're in big trouble. You'd make the Oakland Athletics look like the Devil Rays.

At least they'd hit, unlike the 2007 Sox... :D:

Also, let's harbor no illusions of the Sox suddenly acquiring a 2005 Pods-type player leading off next season, there's not many of those guys out there, and the few there are without question marks (like Pods and Crisp) aren't available. Sheesh, I'd kill to get someone like Reyes from the Mets leading off for the White Sox, but it's not gonna happen.

Kenny has to do the best job with what's available.

BTW - Bad choice of players, as Jose Guillen's being associated with HGH today in some circles...

FedEx227
11-06-2007, 02:48 PM
At least they'd hit, unlike the 2007 Sox... :D:

Also, let's harbor no illusions of the Sox suddenly acquiring a 2005 Pods-type player leading off next season, there's not many of those guys out there, and the few there are without question marks (like Pods and Crisp) aren't available. Sheesh, I'd kill to get someone like Reyes from the Mets leading off for the White Sox, but it's not gonna happen.

Kenny has to do the best job with what's available.

BTW - Bad choice of players, as Jose Guillen's being associated with HGH today in some circles...

Haha yeah... So you can officially take him off the list.