PDA

View Full Version : What will be the immediate fallout from the MLB Steroid Farce?

Trav
11-02-2007, 08:11 PM
When the report comes out and all the "big names" come out, what will be the punishment for the players on the list? The Uribe thread had me thinking that guys like Paul Byrd, who had prescription for it will walk. However, I'm sure most of the guys had a doctor write them a prescription, and I'm sure many teams were referring those players to the right doctors.

I'm not saying Byrd's situation deserves a suspension or not; I'm pretty sure he had some sort of tumor though. The point is, if the players were in fact going to doctors that their team told them to and those players started losing money/ getting suspended wouldn't they blow Selig's gig and start ratting out the front office guys for their teams?

eastchicagosoxfan
11-02-2007, 08:31 PM
When the report comes out and all the "big names" come out, what will be the punishment for the players on the list? The Uribe thread had me thinking that guys like Paul Byrd, who had prescription for it will walk. However, I'm sure most of the guys had a doctor write them a prescription, and I'm sure many teams were referring those players to the right doctors.

I'm not saying Byrd's situation deserves a suspension or not; I'm pretty sure he had some sort of tumor though. The point is, if the players were in fact going to doctors that their team told them to and those players started losing money/ getting suspended wouldn't they blow Selig's gig and start ratting out the front office guys for their teams?
What steroids?

DumpJerry
11-02-2007, 09:25 PM
As the Uribe thread also pointed out, there is no punishment without a positive test.

Trav
11-02-2007, 09:29 PM
You should have read further. Bud-light is saying yes, there can and will be suspensions with out positive tests.

chaerulez
11-02-2007, 09:59 PM
You should have read further. Bud-light is saying yes, there can and will be suspensions with out positive tests.

MLBPA will surely fight that to the death.

FarWestChicago
11-02-2007, 10:40 PM
MLBPA will surely fight that to the death.And let us hope they die. **** them. Asshats.

TornLabrum
11-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Apparently MLB has been sending letters or emails to clubs requesting parking passes for their steroid testers a couple of days before they're scheduled to show up for surprise tests. Big surprise....

Morons!

voodoochile
11-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Apparently MLB has been sending letters or emails to clubs requesting parking passes for their steroid testers a couple of days before they're scheduled to show up for surprise tests. Big surprise....

Morons!

*****!

Part of the fallout is Bud will be given a lifetime contract for more money than ARod gets. After all, he's managed to stonewall the steroid stuff until all the good stuff happened and now his get tough policy looks great to the masses. Of course the horse is long gone, but the barn door is at least shut.

Between the amazing stats and the new playoff format, MLB is setting attendance and revenue records right and left, so the owners don't give a crap either.

Typical Bud stuff to be giving advance warning of surprise testing on the sly hoping no one will figure it out in the media so they can both look good publicly and still get as positive a result as can be hoped for. Nothing should surprise us anymore and honestly given Bud's prior profession it shouldn't have for a long, long time...

:tool
"How do you like my face? If you don't like this one, I've got another one I keep in the closet..."

chaerulez
11-03-2007, 10:14 AM
And let us hope they die. **** them. Asshats.

Can't disagree with that. I hate the PA and Fehr more than I hate Selig.

I am hoping one of these names is Clemens, so he can finally be exposed for the fraud he is. However I suspect Bud will do everything to let his pal keep his good name. He did give him a bogus all star game appearance, why stop there.

downstairs
11-03-2007, 11:07 AM
MLBPA will surely fight that to the death.

"The death" is correct, and indeed what they may get.

Gotta remember- as a union, when you don't have the government on your side, you're pretty much impotent.

Trav
11-03-2007, 01:46 PM

Morons!

I'm not shocked but do you have a link for that?

itsnotrequired
11-03-2007, 02:09 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=3801924&page=1

TornLabrum
11-03-2007, 04:41 PM

It was reported on Keith Olberman's "Worst Person in the World" segment a couple of nights ago.

kevin57
11-04-2007, 01:24 PM
The worst thing is that I'll bet neither Uncle Bud nor the owners will respond immediately to individual players named in the report. They'll see which way the societal winds are blowing and how strong they are, THEN they'll act to preserve their asses.

More interesting will be what if any new regs or tests will be proposed to "toughen" illicit substance abuse. MLB will temporize over it, and the MLBPA may fight them. If either group or both respond that way, baseball could wind up the third or even fourth most popular sport in the USA.

Paulwny
11-04-2007, 08:46 PM
The number of players involved will be the biggest factor. I doubt MLB wants to see a team of AAA players on the field.

Oblong
11-04-2007, 10:11 PM
The fallout will be that baseball will admit that they "had a problem" but that they've taken steps to rectify it so that it won't happen again. Any "punishment" will be handed out in terms of PR hits and fan reactions. Maybe the league and MLBPA will donate money to fund education for student athletes.

I don't expect much. If we do see a list of names then it'll be a big one and far reaching. So far reaching that the end result will be by most fans "eh.... they all were doing it, it cancels out". The reason I say that is we've already been through a steroid/PED era already and attendance is through the roof. Any big stories coming out of it will be if certain teams or even suspected players do not get named.

wdelaney72
11-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Can't disagree with that. I hate the PA and Fehr more than I hate Selig.

I am hoping one of these names is Clemens, so he can finally be exposed for the fraud he is. However I suspect Bud will do everything to let his pal keep his good name. He did give him a bogus all star game appearance, why stop there.

There's no way in the name 'Clemens' makes that list, regardless of if he used or not. Too bad, cause I agree he's an absolute douche and a fraud.

Trav
11-05-2007, 10:44 AM
The number of players involved will be the biggest factor. I doubt MLB wants to see a team of AAA players on the field.

Well if they end up suspending anyone on that list, but still wait until December (I think that is when the list goes public) to release the names Bud is going to have some angry owners who just shelled out money to their FA doping star who won't be playing right away. I can see that as a problem.

Oblong
11-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I'd be very surprised if they suspend anyone and that's a good reason why they won't. Bud works for the owners and they're not interested. He has credibility so he wouldn't suspend players for moral reasons, it'd be done for business reasons and there's no business reason to do it. Everybody knows they do/did it already and MLB just reached $6 billion in revenues. In fact the business would suffer if he did.

Coach Ice
11-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I hope they suspend all of these cheaters.

Wsoxmike59
11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
The fallout will be that baseball will admit that they "had a problem" but that they've taken steps to rectify it so that it won't happen again. Any "punishment" will be handed out in terms of PR hits and fan reactions. Maybe the league and MLBPA will donate money to fund education for student athletes.

Agreed, but in the end the damage is done. The holier than art thou players have already damaged the record book with their juiced stats.

If Pud Selig had any balls he would've subjected Bonds, Sosa and McGwire to a blood test when they were busy "shattering" the HR records.

His stance against the MLBPA should've been, "fine hit all the HR's you want you effin' cheaters.....but I still control the record book. If you want to be in the MLB record book, I want a blood test....or nuthin' doing you effing cheaters!!!"

I will never forgive Bonds, Sosa, McGwire or Giambi for what those asshats did to my (the fans) record book. :angry::angry:

P.S. I also hold Palmiero, Sheffield, and Caminiti accountable but to a lesser degree. They've at least played the "hey I didn't know it was roids" angle.

Daver
11-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Agreed, but in the end the damage is done. The holier than art thou players have already damaged the record book with their juiced stats.

If Pud Selig had any balls he would've subjected Bonds, Sosa and McGwire to a blood test when they were busy "shattering" the HR records.

His stance against the MLBPA should've been, "fine hit all the HR's you want you effin' cheaters.....but I still control the record book. If you want to be in the MLB record book, I want a blood test....or nuthin' doing you effing cheaters!!!"

Can you show me where, exactly, it is written in the CBA that the commissioner of baseball can do this?