PDA

View Full Version : Uribe Update

Lip Man 1
11-02-2007, 04:09 PM
With the decision looming Wednesday, White Sox.com has a story on his situation. I found this section of it very interesting including the revelation the Sox tried to get Renteria last summer.

"The White Sox aggressively showed interest in Edgar Renteria since the last non-waiver trade deadline, reportedly offering frontline, big league starting pitching back in late July, with the one-time Atlanta shortstop appearing to be a perfect fit for the No. 2 slot in the White Sox order.

Instead, the Braves shipped Renteria within the American League Central to Detroit for top prospects in pitcher Jair Jurrjens and center fielder Gorkys Hernandez on the day after the World Series ended.

"I was shocked at the timing of it," said Williams concerning the trade of a player who hit .332 over 494 at-bats last season and is a career .294 hitter. Although Williams would not confirm the White Sox making a recent pitch for Renteria, his direct commentary all but conveyed such interest. Williams' few words also laid out the short-term direction in which the team is focused."

Feel free to try to read the tea leaves.

Lip

KRS1
11-02-2007, 04:22 PM
"The White Sox aggressively showed interest in Edgar Renteria since the last non-waiver trade deadline, reportedly offering frontline, big league starting pitching back in late July, with the one-time Atlanta shortstop appearing to be a perfect fit for the No. 2 slot in the White Sox order.

I don't believe this one bit. I heard the Braves asked for Garland, which we rightly balked at, and I doubt we offered Mark or Javy who are really the only two who fit that description. Jose...maybe.

Flight #24
11-02-2007, 04:47 PM
I don't believe this one bit. I heard the Braves asked for Garland, which we rightly balked at, and I doubt we offered Mark or Javy who are really the only two who fit that description. Jose...maybe.
When did Burls sign the extension? Could this have been a falback if they couldnt' get that done?

Britt Burns
11-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Instead, the Braves shipped Renteria within the American League Central to Detroit for top prospects in pitcher Jair Jurrjens and center fielder Gorkys Hernandez on the day after the World Series ended.

Lip

Were Jurrjens and Hernandez really considered Detroit's top prospects? I thought they were more like upper-middle tier, fitting in somewhere between DLS and Broadway/Mccullough had they been Sox prospects.

veeter
11-02-2007, 05:28 PM
I guess the important thing out of this is the Sox want to upgrade at short. Yes, the trade didn't work, but they're on Juan's ass and he knows it. So either they'll get someone new, or Juan will get in shape and kick it in. Hopefully we improve at short one way or another.

dickallen15
11-02-2007, 05:51 PM
According to the Sun Times a couple days ago, the White Sox could get a new SS and Juan Uribe still could be brought back, reprising his 2004 role. IIRC, KW also made a waiver claim for Tejada last summer. I'll be shocked at any big trades being done before Mitchell's report comes out. If there's names, there will be suspensions and you could cost yourself your livelihood trading some nice pieces for someone who has to sit 50 games.

mjmcend
11-02-2007, 06:05 PM
According to the Sun Times a couple days ago, the White Sox could get a new SS and Juan Uribe still could be brought back, reprising his 2004 role. IIRC, KW also made a waiver claim for Tejada last summer. I'll be shocked at any big trades being done before Mitchell's report comes out. If there's names, there will be suspensions and you could cost yourself your livelihood trading some nice pieces for someone who has to sit 50 games.

No one on the list will be suspended. You have to fail a drug test to receive a suspension.

DumpJerry
11-02-2007, 06:24 PM
I guess the important thing out of this is the Sox want to upgrade at short. Yes, the trade didn't work, but they're on Juan's ass and he knows it. So either they'll get someone new, or Juan will get in shape and kick it in. Hopefully we improve at short one way or another.
Give me a break. Each offseason we hear the Sox tell Uribe to get his butt in shape or else. Each year he claims to be getting in shape during the Winter, but he seems to be thinking of a different shape than what the Sox and fans have in mind.

He'll promise to get in better shape, the Sox won't pursue a better SS and then he'll show up in camp 40 pounds overweight and the good SS's that were available are gone.....

drewcifer
11-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Give me a break. Each offseason we hear the Sox tell Uribe to get his butt in shape or else. Each year he claims to be getting in shape during the Winter, but he seems to be thinking of a different shape than what the Sox and fans have in mind.

He'll promise to get in better shape, the Sox won't pursue a better SS and then he'll show up in camp 40 pounds overweight and the good SS's that were available are gone.....

Well, there's always Michael Young in 09.

dickallen15
11-02-2007, 06:46 PM
No one on the list will be suspended. You have to fail a drug test to receive a suspension.
From ESPN:

ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 25, 2007, 12:12 PM ET

Gary Matthews Jr. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6241), Paul Byrd (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5468), Rick Ankiel (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6320) and other Major League Baseball players who have been linked to human growth hormone in published reports face the prospect of a Bud Selig-imposed suspension if they are found to have violated U.S. law.
Citing a high-ranking major league official, The Los Angeles Times reported Thursday that Major League Baseball's commissioner hasn't ruled out such discipline for players even if they did not violate baseball's drug policy.

If they suspend these guys, they will suspend every guy in that report.

chisox77
11-02-2007, 07:10 PM
I've learned a while ago that "almost deals" don't mean anything. I figured KW wanted to upgrade our present SS situation, but until he is able, Uribe is the SS. All of this makes for interesting conversation, but that's all it is until a deal gets done.

Remember the '04 offseason (leading to '05). The White Sox made an offer to Vizquel, but the Giants gave him one more year than the Sox wanted to offer. Then efforts were focused on Eckstein, but the Cardinals were able to pay him more. That's how Uribe became our full-time SS. He was actually the third option. It worked out great in '05. Since then, not as much.

California Sox
11-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Were Jurrjens and Hernandez really considered Detroit's top prospects? I thought they were more like upper-middle tier, fitting in somewhere between DLS and Broadway/Mccullough had they been Sox prospects.

Detroit's got a better farm system than us. Certainly, Maybin and Miller are ahead of these guys, and so too is the much under-appreciated Porcello, but I'd say they were 4 and 5 in Detroit's system. Arguably both are better than anything the Sox have on the farm right now.

soxinem1
11-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I for one believe a new SS will be in a White Sox uniform shortly.

I for one, liked Uribe better on the 2004 team than in 2005. He played well at 2B, SS, and 3B in 2004 when he had to earn his playing time.

In 2005-07, he hit well in September to make a crummy season look better. He actually had a good 2004 September too, as I beleive he slid down to about .259 after hitting .300+ at the ASB that year.

Brian26
11-02-2007, 07:36 PM

Lip-

The rumor around the deadline was Garland for Renteria, but it was the SOX that pulled out of the deal (not Atlanta).

JB98
11-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Uribe brought back in a bench role. Play him against lefties. Force him to earn his time. Obviously, they'd have to decline the option and sign him for less to do that.

Tragg
11-02-2007, 07:47 PM
The Braves got Renteria for ONE prospect. One. He's the same player now that he was then. (the prospect was also blocked by chipper jones, so the braves dealt through strength).
I heard Atlanta offered REnteria plus the Braves top prospect for Garland and we balked. That would make more sense.

Whatever they do, don't give us crappy defense please.
Uribe on the bench would seriously improve the bench.
I'd like to see us get that other top SS prospect from the Braves

thedudeabides
11-02-2007, 07:48 PM
It seems like the Sox will explore every option possible, but may end up with Uribe. I personally don't want to see him back.

I know it didn't work out with him playing SS with the Mets, but would it be worth taking a look at Kaz Matsui? I know coming over he was suppose to be a good defensive SS. It just seemed he had a hard time adjusting after he got here.

Oblong
11-02-2007, 08:11 PM

A top 5 prospect list for the Tigers could have included these 2 without much debate or argument. If you had to pick negatives about them, Jurrjens didn't throw that hard and went on the DL this year after feeling shoulder pains in his second start(leaving in the middle of the first or second inning), along with some other injuries in the minors. Hernandez doesn't project to have power and was only 19 and in A ball so he's still a few years away. But he flies in centerfield and has hit so far. If he played high school in the states he'd have been probably the top high school hitter his senior year. (He was Midwest Player of the Year in A Ball).

The Real Me
11-04-2007, 10:29 PM

I like the way you think.

oeo
11-04-2007, 11:15 PM

He comes into camp in shape. The problem is, he doesn't stay in shape. I actually thought Joey Cora was supposed to make sure that he did this year...which didn't happen.

And honestly, I don't care what kind of shape he's in. But he needs to be hitting at least .245 and playing Gold Glove defense. Neither of which he has done the last two years.

Grzegorz
11-05-2007, 04:40 AM
And honestly, I don't care what kind of shape he's in. But he needs to be hitting at least .245 and playing Gold Glove defense. Neither of which he has done the last two years.

I believe there is a direct relationship with being fit and answering the demands of playing shortstop. He HAS to be in shape.

Uribe on the bench would seriously improve the bench.

Why do you say this? I am wondering how Uribe's commitment to the game improves with his role as a bench player.

Certainly not as a pinch hitter. Possibly as a late inning defensive replacement if he's in shape and stays in shape?

soxinem1
11-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Why do you say this? I am wondering how Uribe's commitment to the game improves with his role as a bench player.

Certainly not as a pinch hitter. Possibly as a late inning defensive replacement if he's in shape and stays in shape?

When Uribe first came here in 2004, he was a utility man. He played hard at 2B, SS, and 3B. The more he hit, the more he played. He almost made the All-Star team that year, and to date, it was by far his best season.

With question marks abond at all three of those positions, Uribe COULD become a key factor for this years INF, if he is around.

Now, being a year from FA, if he had any pride, he should do anything he can to get back to his 2004 type numbers.

mjmcend
11-05-2007, 10:47 AM
From ESPN:

ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 25, 2007, 12:12 PM ET

Gary Matthews Jr. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6241), Paul Byrd (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5468), Rick Ankiel (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6320) and other Major League Baseball players who have been linked to human growth hormone in published reports face the prospect of a Bud Selig-imposed suspension if they are found to have violated U.S. law.
Citing a high-ranking major league official, The Los Angeles Times reported Thursday that Major League Baseball's commissioner hasn't ruled out such discipline for players even if they did not violate baseball's drug policy.

If they suspend these guys, they will suspend every guy in that report.

I very much doubt they suspend any of them because the player's union would raise hell.

russ99
11-05-2007, 11:48 AM

Hernandez is a heck of a prospect. Younger and with more upside than most outfielder prospects. Could turn into a Delmon Young-type player in a year or two. Jurrjens is pretty good, but the reason he was included was that he's major league ready.

The Sox could have match the Jurrjens-type player with Broadway (I'd just as soon keep him, though) but the Sox system has noone even near Hernandez. You'd need to turn Sweeney and Anderson into one younger player for the same value.

Plus the Tigers struck quickly and caught Kenny napping, just like with Sheffield last year.

Tragg
11-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Certainly not as a pinch hitter. Possibly as a late inning defensive replacement if he's in shape and stays in shape?Do you seriously disagree that Uribe is a big upgrade over Cintron or Gonzalez?
He can catch and throw and move 6 inches for a ball, something Cintron and Gonzalez can't do. That means upgrade.
Plus, he has pop in his bad. Another upgrade form Cintron and Gonzalez.
It's nice to have a PH who could actually tie up a game.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Hernandez is a heck of a prospect. Younger and with more upside than most outfielder prospects. Could turn into a Delmon Young-type player in a year or two. Jurrjens is pretty good, but the reason he was included was that he's major league ready.

The Sox could have match the Jurrjens-type player with Broadway (I'd just as soon keep him, though) but the Sox system has noone even near Hernandez. You'd need to turn Sweeney and Anderson into one younger player for the same value.

Plus the Tigers struck quickly and caught Kenny napping, just like with Sheffield last year.

I really don't think the Sox were in the market for another DH and high salary to be interested in Sheffield. That said, the Tiggers struck quickly and got Renteria while the Sox were still trying to figure out what to do with Uribe. (As if there is any question what they should do with the bum.)

KyWhiSoxFan
11-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Do you seriously disagree that Uribe is a big upgrade over Cintron or Gonzalez?
He can catch and throw and move 6 inches for a ball, something Cintron and Gonzalez can't do. That means upgrade.
Plus, he has pop in his bad. Another upgrade form Cintron and Gonzalez.
It's nice to have a PH who could actually tie up a game.

You automatically win any argument when you compare any player's ability to Cintron or Gonzalez. Any player still breathing is better than those two. Gonzalez is a marginal AAA player.

But I'm not sure I like the idea of a .220 hitter as a pinch hitter. Uribe has enough problem getting hits and into a routine when he plays every day. Coming off the bench, he would be so nervous and excited, he would swing wildly at the first three pitches, especially if they were below his ankes.

A. Cavatica
11-05-2007, 08:07 PM

With his batting eye, he needs to hit .270 to be worth anything -- even if he plays Gold Glove defense.

Grzegorz
11-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Do you seriously disagree that Uribe is a big upgrade over Cintron or Gonzalez?

No

If he stays fit then he's a plus defensive replacement.

Plus, he has pop in his bad. Another upgrade form Cintron and Gonzalez. It's nice to have a PH who could actually tie up a game.

It's also nice to have a guy come off the bench and put the ball into play. Uribe can swing for the fences but he cannot consistently put the bat on the ball.

oeo
11-06-2007, 09:16 AM
I believe there is a direct relationship with being fit and answering the demands of playing shortstop. He HAS to be in shape.

He's still getting to almost everything in his general area. His problem (mostly) is the throws across the infield. And it's not that he can't make them, it's that he either waits till the last possible second to show off his arm, just throws a bullet into the ground, or sometimes even just lobs it over there.

roadrunner
11-06-2007, 10:52 AM
he gone?

chisoxmike
11-06-2007, 10:53 AM
he gone?

:?:

JermaineDye05
11-06-2007, 11:23 AM
he gone?

No, to the best of my knowledge he's still with the team. Expect news today or tomorrow, since tomorrow is the deadline for Uribe.

Gammons Peter
11-06-2007, 03:37 PM
What time tomorrow

chisoxmike
11-06-2007, 03:52 PM
I think the Sox are going to pick up Uribe's option. Then, WSI will crumble. :D:

JermaineDye05
11-06-2007, 03:53 PM
I think the Sox are going to pick up Uribe's option. Then, WSI will crumble. :D:

Yeah I won't be surprised if they do. I'll be upset though.

spawn
11-06-2007, 03:56 PM
If they do, I think I'll stay away from here until the flames die down, becuase this place will be en fuego....:D:

ilsox7
11-06-2007, 03:58 PM

Everything I've read seems to infer that the Sox are doing absolutely everything in their power to get someone other than Uribe on this team. But the clock is close to striking midnight.

Tragg
11-06-2007, 04:22 PM
They can always find someone who can field the position (and not hit worth a flip) for minimum salary or close to it.
It's not that huge a gamble to decline his option.

upperdeckusc
11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
decline his option and resign him to a smaller 1-2 yr deal. he can start if he proves his head is out of his ass, or he can be a bench player while we get something better. 2 yrs, 5 mil.

MisterB
11-06-2007, 04:34 PM
decline his option and resign him to a smaller 1-2 yr deal. he can start if he proves his head is out of his ass, or he can be a bench player while we get something better. 2 yrs, 5 mil.

Can't do that. If I'm not mistaken, declining an option is just like non-tendering him: He becomes a FA and the Sox can't deal with him until May.

MCHSoxFan
11-06-2007, 04:34 PM
I have always had the feeling they would keep Juan.

We will see...

thedudeabides
11-06-2007, 04:37 PM
They can always find someone who can field the position (and not hit worth a flip) for minimum salary or close to it.

I completely agree. I don't think they'll pick up the option.

upperdeckusc
11-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Can't do that. If I'm not mistaken, declining an option is just like non-tendering him: He becomes a FA and the Sox can't deal with him until May.

are you sure about that? i figured if he's non-tendered, and he becomes a free agent, anyone can talk with him about a contract, including the non-tendering team. ive heard other ppl suggest declining the option and signing him for cheaper with uribe AND erstad. maybe we're all just wrong. i honestly dont know, that was just my impression.

wassagstdu
11-06-2007, 05:10 PM
So shortstops as good as Uribe are a dime a dozen? Or is it that a good glove at SS is not important? I disagree, but then I do have a personal bias in favor of interesting, winning baseball.

Risk
11-06-2007, 05:12 PM

And this is bad--why?

Risk

dickallen15
11-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Everything I've read seems to infer that the Sox are doing absolutely everything in their power to get someone other than Uribe on this team. But the clock is close to striking midnight.
I think they plan on exercising the option but want Uribe to think they are doing everything they can to find a better alternative. I think this waiting to the deadline is just KW sending a message.

Risk
11-06-2007, 05:18 PM
So shortstops as good as Uribe are a dime a dozen? Or is it that a good glove at SS is not important? I disagree, but then I do have a personal bias in favor of interesting, winning baseball.

I agree--a gold glove at SS is important--and I too have a bias in favor of winning baseball.

However, Juan Uribe circa 2007 was not a gold glove SS, and surely did not equate to winning baseball.

No one should get a pay raise for having a crappy year, including those who made huge contributions in the past.

Risk

upperdeckusc
11-06-2007, 05:20 PM

i hope your not referring to uribe in '06 or '07 as "gold glove" defense. above avg yes, ok. he has mental lapses and can barely bend over to scoop a grounder. i always think he's gonna tip over when hes charging in on a ball. is it that mean of us to ask him to hit .250/.260 and consistently play good defense? he doesn't do either (flashes, but hasnt put it together in 2 yrs). sorry, i'm not paying 5 mil for that if I'm the GM.

Jerome
11-06-2007, 05:26 PM
boy. renteria would be awsome

CLR01
11-06-2007, 05:27 PM
boy. renteria would be awsome

I'd be happy with a tackling dummy.

The Immigrant
11-06-2007, 05:29 PM
And this is bad--why?

Risk

:kneeslap:

RowanDye
11-06-2007, 05:58 PM
I think they plan on exercising the option but want Uribe to think they are doing everything they can to find a better alternative. I think this waiting to the deadline is just KW sending a message.

I don't think this has anything to do with "sending a message", Uribe already knows he had crap season.

If the Sox don't find someone else, then the only message it sends is that Uribe is the best available!

Daver
11-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with "sending a message", Uribe already knows he had crap season.

If the Sox don't find someone else, then the only message it sends is that Uribe is the best available!

The best shortstop, quite possibly, to ever play the game is available.

FedEx227
11-06-2007, 06:08 PM

BUH HE DUZEN"T HIT AZ MUCH AS JETR IN DA PLAYOFS!

eastchicagosoxfan
11-06-2007, 06:36 PM

I just had this epiphany. I expect the Sox to sign Alex Rodriguez. I'll search the Rodriguez thread and post my thoughts ( or to some voices ) in the appropriate thread.

WhiteSox5187
11-06-2007, 10:41 PM
He's put on I think about twenty pounds since he's gone to the Yankees...can he still play short? I think he is now being shopped as a third baseman instead of a shortstop.

Grzegorz
11-07-2007, 04:37 AM
I think the Sox are going to pick up Uribe's option. Then, WSI will crumble.

No, the Chicago White Sox are just hedging.