PDA

View Full Version : FOX wants to change World Series start times

Fenway
11-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Ed Goren the president of FOX Sports in an industry newletter says that FOX will ask MLB to start World Series games after NINE PM in the East.

He says ratings data shows there are more viewers after 11 PM. The only demographic that shows a decline after 11 PM is over 55

He also says the ratings breakdown shows more children under 17 watching after 11 PM which proves that kids are watching.

Hitmen77
11-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Ed Goren the president of FOX Sports in an industry newletter says that FOX will ask MLB to start World Series games after NINE PM in the East.

He says ratings data shows there are more viewers after 11 PM. The only demographic that shows a decline after 11 PM is over 55

He also says the ratings breakdown shows more children under 17 watching after 11 PM which proves that kids are watching.

:thud:

markp8867
11-02-2007, 02:42 PM

Like almost everything else Fox does, I think it's a dumb idea. If anything they should have at least one World Series day game that starts later like at 4 or 5pm on the east coast. These late starts might make more money now for Fox but in the end it will hurt MLB. I remember watching all of the World Series games when I was a kid but now with these late times the kids of today may never really get into it which would be a shame.

getonbckthr
11-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Ya more are watching cause its the end of the game, dumbasses.

Fenway
11-02-2007, 02:54 PM
He cites as proof when Monday Night Football moved from 9 to 8 for one season the ratings dropped. ABC went back to 9 PM the next year and ratings went up.

Dont Stop Belivn
11-02-2007, 03:01 PM
MLB will never allow this

VenturaFan23
11-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Does this start time inlcude all the pregame BS? So in actuality, the game wouldn't start until 9:30 in the east?

thomas35forever
11-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Un****ingbelievable. If this doesn't prove sports are all about TV ratings now, I don't know what does.:angry:

itsnotrequired
11-02-2007, 03:27 PM

They better not. Why do they want to start so late anyway? Are they going to start introducing risque material into the broadcast?

McCarver: Joe, check out the rack on that broad! [camera zooms in on large-chested woman, horn sounds and flashing lights seen on screen]. I've seen some women with larger breasts but also some with smaller. Women come in many shapes and sizes.

Buck: God, you're a ****ing idiot. *takes swig from bottle of vodka*

McCarver: Let's hear what Scooter thinks.

Scooter: Hey-oh! *gives finger to umpire*

LITTLE NELL
11-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I find this very hard to believe. Even my Red Sox friends had trouble staying up for some of the games.

Mr. Man
11-02-2007, 03:40 PM

Do you have a link for that? Or a source?

Go Sox!

Fenway
11-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Do you have a link for that? Or a source?

Go Sox!

link would be useless it is password protected

AZChiSoxFan
11-02-2007, 03:51 PM
They better not. Why do they want to start so late anyway? Are they going to start introducing risque material into the broadcast?

McCarver: Joe, check out the rack on that broad! [camera zooms in on large-chested woman, horn sounds and flashing lights seen on screen]. I've seen some women with larger breasts but also some with smaller. Women come in many shapes and sizes.

Buck: God, you're a ****ing idiot. *takes swig from bottle of vodka*

McCarver: Let's hear what Scooter thinks.

Scooter: Hey-oh! *gives finger to umpire*

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

That's hilarious! I couldn't stop laughing when I first read this!

Mr. Man
11-02-2007, 03:53 PM
link would be useless it is password protected

sportsbusinessdaily.com then?

Fenway
11-02-2007, 03:57 PM
sportsbusinessdaily.com then?

oui

DumpJerry
11-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Why? Did Selig get fired?

The big question: when is the contract with Fox over? Since taking over, the rating for the World Series are in the toilet. With all the flash and noise effects, Fox has taken out of the Fall Classic everything us older folk remember from the old days when it was simply a baseball game between the best teams from each league.

If I were MLB, I would demand the following in the new World Series contract:
1. Day games on Saturday and Sunday.
2. Knowledgable people in the booth who have played in the World Series at least twice.
3. Limit shots of celebrities in the stands who just happen to be on a sagging series on the network to 10 per game.
4. CSN-type of graphics during the innings for the score, count and outs. No flames when the pitch is over 95 MPH.
5. No in-game interviews with coaches, players or managers. Half the time you can't hear what he is saying anyway.
6. The PBP guy has to remind the listeners at least twice per half inning that the White Sox are the greatest team ever.

Simple reforms which will increase interest in the Series and ratings.

Fenway
11-02-2007, 04:42 PM
FOX has the contract until 2013 :whiner:

spiffie
11-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Why? Did Selig get fired?

The big question: when is the contract with Fox over? Since taking over, the rating for the World Series are in the toilet. With all the flash and noise effects, Fox has taken out of the Fall Classic everything us older folk remember from the old days when it was simply a baseball game between the best teams from each league.

If I were MLB, I would demand the following in the new World Series contract:
1. Day games on Saturday and Sunday.
2. Knowledgable people in the booth who have played in the World Series at least twice.
3. Limit shots of celebrities in the stands who just happen to be on a sagging series on the network to 10 per game.
4. CSN-type of graphics during the innings for the score, count and outs. No flames when the pitch is over 95 MPH.
5. No in-game interviews with coaches, players or managers. Half the time you can't hear what he is saying anyway.
6. The PBP guy has to remind the listeners at least twice per half inning that the White Sox are the greatest team ever.

Simple reforms which will increase interest in the Series and ratings.
Day games on Saturday and Sunday in October will tank in the ratings. Not only is the audience smaller in the daytime, but going against college football and the NFL in the heart of their schedule is absolute ratings suicide.

I don't care if they've played in the World Series, but I'd like someone who knows more than Frick and Frack. Hell, I'd take Stoney as the national color man for the World Series.

I do totally agree with #'s 3, 4, and especially 6 though.

DumpJerry
11-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Day games on Saturday and Sunday in October will tank in the ratings. Not only is the audience smaller in the daytime, but going against college football and the NFL in the heart of their schedule is absolute ratings suicide.

I don't care if they've played in the World Series, but I'd like someone who knows more than Frick and Frack. Hell, I'd take Stoney as the national color man for the World Series.

I do totally agree with #'s 3, 4, and especially 6 though.
If the Marlins and Angels are in the Series, there is no need for day games, but up here it gets pretty chilly at night in October. I realize you're right about the heavy competition from Football, Baseball conceded that position about 20 or 30 years ago and it is lost forever.

The reason why I said having guys in the booth who have played in at least two Series is that they can talk with authority about their experiences playing in it.

Lip Man 1
11-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Could Fox be this stupid? More importantly could MLB be that dumb??

The answer to both questions is a resounding yes.

Get ready to set those recorders for future Fall Classics gang!

Lip

spiffie
11-02-2007, 05:15 PM
If the Marlins and Angels are in the Series, there is no need for day games, but up here it gets pretty chilly at night in October. I realize you're right about the heavy competition from Football, Baseball conceded that position about 20 or 30 years ago and it is lost forever.

The reason why I said having guys in the booth who have played in at least two Series is that they can talk with authority about their experiences playing in it.
I agree with the logic on having some guys with WS experience. I guess I'm just so beaten down by those two that simply having anyone coherent would be such an improvement I'd be happy.

FedEx227
11-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Further proof that college education doesn't always equal intelligence.

Who honestly gets to make these decisions? And why such linear thinking?

Ratings are going up at 11 because people are saying "Hey, that game might be ending soon, let me go see". You're going to get far less "Hey lets sees" when the game isn't ending until 12:30am.

And I love Fenway's citation of MNF going from 9 to 8 losing ratings then going back to 9 and ratings going up. Oh yes linear thinking. It couldn't have possibly been there were better games in one season or anything... no it has to be the time changes.

We might as well just start the games at 11 if thats when the high viewership is. 11pm first pitch. Geoff Blum would love it.

Fenway
11-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I want to see the return of the local annoucers doing some innings. That is how Dick Stockton got noticed by the networks for his work in 75.

ws05champs
11-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Could Fox be this stupid?

Lip

Anyone that has ever seen anything that Fox has done on any of their networks (with the possible exception of 24 and The Shield) knows the answer to that question.

PKalltheway
11-02-2007, 07:24 PM
We might as well just start the games at 11 if thats when the high viewership is. 11pm first pitch. Geoff Blum would love it.
My memory may be a little hazy since I was in 5th grade when this happened, but I swear I remember Games 3 and 4 of the 1998 W.S. starting at 11 pm EST....

JB98
11-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Speaking as a newspaper man, no newspaper in the country will get the final score of the game in for AM editions if they back the start time up any further. Hell, we didn't get a score in for two of the four games in this World Series.

Silly. They should play day games on the weekends.

Brian26
11-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Silly. They should play day games on the weekends.

I'd at least like to see League Championship Series games during the day on weekends.

Dan the Man
11-02-2007, 09:40 PM
First, there is no reason a 2-1 game should take over 4 hours (WS Game 2). So if start times move back, that mean's even a low scoring game won't end until 1 AM eastern.

getonbckthr
11-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Day games suck. I prefer night games. You all day anticiapating whereas during the day its nice but then the game ends and its like ok now what do I do?

PKalltheway
11-02-2007, 10:12 PM
I'd at least like to see League Championship Series games during the day on weekends.
Hell, they didn't have them all that long ago. I remember some LCS games in 2003 and 2002 being played during the day.

DumpJerry
11-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Day games suck. I prefer night games. You all day anticiapating whereas during the day its nice but then the game ends and its like ok now what do I do?
Mr. Excitement, eh?:redneck

wassagstdu
11-03-2007, 08:08 AM
... going against college football and the NFL in the heart of their schedule is absolute ratings suicide.
What? Who wouldn't rather watch Manny Ramirez stand and admire a single off the wall?

pierzynski07
11-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Anyone that has ever seen anything that Fox has done on any of their networks (with the possible exception of 24 and The Shield) knows the answer to that question.
D'OH!

pierzynski07
11-03-2007, 12:36 PM
2. Knowledgable people in the booth who have played in the World Series at least four times.

Fixed, since look who's been in three of them. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mccarti01.shtml)