PDA

View Full Version : Bob Ryan: Sorry White Sox, I forgot about you

Fenway
11-02-2007, 12:52 PM
:rolleyes:

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/ (http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/bob_ryan_blog/)

In my post-game column on Sunday night, I said that the American League has now had four sweeps in the past nine years.

Well, of course, the answer is 5 in 10. I cited the Yankees over the Padres and Braves in '98 and '99, as well as the Red Sox over the Cardinals and now the Rockies in '04 and '07. I forgot all about the White Sox taking out the Astros in 4 just two years ago, and I should know since I was there for Games 3 and 4.

I just didn't have the White Sox in my head, for some reason.
So you can stop with the e-mails now. I'm 'fessing up, and it's time to move on.

IlliniSox4Life
11-02-2007, 12:55 PM
At least he admitted it. But seriously, IT WAS ONLY TWO YEARS AGO. If you can remember the Yankees sweeping in 98 and 99, you can remember that the Sox did it two years ago. Especially since the Cardinals swept last year, so that makes it 4 consecutive years where the WS has been swept.

spawn
11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
At least he admitted it. But seriously, IT WAS ONLY TWO YEARS AGO. If you can remember the Yankees sweeping in 98 and 99, you can remember that the Sox did it two years ago. Especially since the Cardinals swept last year, so that makes it 4 consecutive years where the WS has been swept.
The Cardinals didn't sweep last season. Detroit won game 2.

Dan Mega
11-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Time to move on, it was just a mistake and he admitted it. Other writers would have never admitted their gaffe.

jenn2080
11-02-2007, 01:50 PM
1. How do you forget 2 yrs ago? 2. How do you forget when you are on a Sox message board OCD style?

Fungo
11-02-2007, 02:36 PM
yawn. I guess those who were stomping their feet or holding their breath till they got their way are happy now though. :rolleyes:

Fenway
11-02-2007, 03:51 PM
WEEI was trying to find this columnist today but they don't know he doesn't exist

He doesn't seem to remember the White Sox either

http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/red-110207-bagboy,0,6559403.column?coll=red-columnists

DumpJerry
11-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Understandable. He was still stunned by the other sweep we had in the postseason two years ago.

Irishsox1
11-02-2007, 04:06 PM
I was gonna go to Boston and smack that old fart for forgetting our sweep.

October26
11-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I was gonna go to Boston and smack that old fart for forgetting our sweep.

:rolling: Do it!

chisoxfanatic
11-02-2007, 05:07 PM
How on earth do you forget something you supposedly were able to PERSONALLY witness???

TommyJohn
11-02-2007, 10:22 PM
yawn. I guess those who were stomping their feet or holding their breath till they got their way are happy now though. :rolleyes:

Well, yes. This forgetting of the White Sox isn't just one or two slips, it's an
epidemic. It is ****ing insulting. I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

Noneck
11-02-2007, 11:11 PM
As long as he remembers the Sox sweep in the 05 Divisional series, its ok with me.

Hitmen77
11-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Well, yes. This forgetting of the White Sox isn't just one or two slips, it's an
epidemic. It is ****ing insulting. I'm sorry if that offends your sensibilities.

I agree. I don't have a big problem specifically with Bob Ryan's mistake. He owned up to it and good for him. People make mistakes and I'm fine with that.

.....the problem is that this whole "forgetting the White Sox" thing seems to be endemic in the media. People wonder why many Sox fans have a chip on their shoulders - it's because of constant slights like this. We have that "You write tomorrow's headlines" running thread on this site. The Onion-esque headlines are done for a good laugh - but many of our cracks on there aren't too far from the truth.

MarySwiss
11-03-2007, 09:49 AM

I agree. I don't have a big problem specifically with Bob Ryan's mistake. He owned up to it and good for him. People make mistakes and I'm fine with that.

.....the problem is that this whole "forgetting the White Sox" thing seems to be endemic in the media. People wonder why many Sox fans have a chip on their shoulders - it's because of constant slights like this. We have that "You write tomorrow's headlines" running thread on this site. The Onion-esque headlines are done for a good laugh - but many of our cracks on there aren't too far from the truth.

You guys nailed it. It's not any one incident; it's when you add them all up. It gets to the point where you just get fed up and want to yell "ENOUGH!"

I've noticed I'm starting to let things people in the media say bother me that wouldn't have a few years ago. Like when someone refers to Boston as "the Sox." I really hate that now. I know that's petty, but I still hate it.

Fenway
11-03-2007, 09:53 AM
You guys nailed it. It's not any one incident; it's when you add them all up. It gets to the point where you just get fed up and want to yell "ENOUGH!"

I've noticed I'm starting to let things people in the media say bother me that wouldn't have a few years ago. Like when someone refers to Boston as "the Sox." I really hate that now. I know that's petty, but I still hate it.

Obviously in New England "The Sox" means Boston. Of course this filters down to Bristol Clown College.

For years the national media used ChiSox and BoSox but the past decade especially in New York - Sox now means Boston.

MarySwiss
11-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Obviously in New England "The Sox" means Boston. Of course this filters down to Bristol Clown College.

For years the national media used ChiSox and BoSox but the past decade especially in New York - Sox now means Boston.

I remember years ago I was watching Cheers, and Carla referred to the Sox. It surprised me because I wondered why a waitress in a Boston bar would be talking about my team. As far as I was concerned, there was (and still is) only one Sox, and they play on the South Side of Chicago.

I think what bothers me most about it is that it is not just the swelled heads out on the East Coast (not you, Fens) who do it. During the Series, the Arizona Republic had reporters who referred to Boston as "the Sox." NOT the kind of thing I want to see over my morning coffee. (I know I'm overreacting, but I don't care.)

The White Sox flat out get overlooked, period. I think we'd have to win about eight straight World Series before we got any attention, and even then, we'd hear some mediot say it's just a fluke.

ws05champs
11-03-2007, 01:54 PM
"Things happen on deadline, especially when you don't have the extra time to look something up." - Always an excellent excuse for a journalist. In fact it's probably the first excuse they teach in journalism school. Excuse #1 - if you get something wrong, just say you didn't have time to look up the facts.

As far as locals (Chicago or Boston) referring to their team as the "Sox" I have no problem with that. When it comes to the national media, they should state White or Red.

sullythered
11-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Bob Ryan looks EXACTLY like a catfish.

End transmission.

pierzynski07
11-03-2007, 06:36 PM
During the Series, the Arizona Republic had reporters who referred to Boston as "the Sox." NOT the kind of thing I want to see over my morning coffee. (I know I'm overreacting, but I don't care.)

They were talking about the World Series, as you said, featuring the Red Sox, right? Then what's the ****ing issue?

chisoxfanatic
11-03-2007, 08:18 PM
"Things happen on deadline, especially when you don't have the extra time to look something up." - Always an excellent excuse for a journalist. In fact it's probably the first excuse they teach in journalism school. Excuse #1 - if you get something wrong, just say you didn't have time to look up the facts.
NOBODY should have to RESEARCH something they claimed to witness firsthand...ESPECIALLY if it happened so recently!!!

pudge
11-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Nobody has pointed out yet, where the bleep are the *editors*?? Deadline or not, that's what they're supposed to get freakin' paid for, unless newspapers are cutting corners like everybody else these days, which wouldn't surprise me.

And I totally agree with the feelings on this thread, it's just annoying that the ChiSox always get "forgotten". The media just has a blind spot because we're not the Cubs and we don't get the press. And then people wonder why Sox fans are bitter.

MarySwiss
11-03-2007, 08:57 PM
They were talking about the World Series, as you said, featuring the Red Sox, right? Then what's the ****ing issue?

The "****ing issue" is that I don't think the Red Sox should be referred to as "the Sox." Especially outside of the East Coast. I'm fine with people in Boston referring to the Red Sox as the Sox and people in Chicago referring to the White Sox as the Sox. But dammit, the Red Sox should not be "the Sox" for the rest of the country, no matter what ESPN and Fox think.

That's my opinion. You have yours. And as I have said countless times. I really don't care whether anyone agrees with me or not. To me, the "Sox" are the White Sox. Period.

Hitmen77
11-03-2007, 10:44 PM
The "****ing issue" is that I don't think the Red Sox should be referred to as "the Sox." Especially outside of the East Coast. I'm fine with people in Boston referring to the Red Sox as the Sox and people in Chicago referring to the White Sox as the Sox. But dammit, the Red Sox should not be "the Sox" for the rest of the country, no matter what ESPN and Fox think.

That's my opinion. You have yours. And as I have said countless times. I really don't care whether anyone agrees with me or not. To me, the "Sox" are the White Sox. Period.

I agree.

I don't see this just during the playoffs or World Series. ESPN.com often refers to the Boston Red Sox as "the Sox". I think I have even seen that on MLB.com's main page. I don't think either site uses that moniker for us.

itsnotrequired
11-03-2007, 11:05 PM
I agree.

I don't see this just during the playoffs or World Series. ESPN.com often refers to the Boston Red Sox as "the Sox". I think I have even seen that on MLB.com's main page. I don't think either site uses that moniker for us.

Stop being so paranoid. Essentially all of those articles on MLB.com are written by the beat writer (Ian Browne). Those really shouldn't count. There are dozens of MLB.com articles about the White Sox that appear on MLB.com with the words "the Sox" in the title. Like the Red Sox articles, almost all of them are written by Merken.

Hitmen77
11-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Stop being so paranoid. Essentially all of those articles on MLB.com are written by the beat writer (Ian Browne). Those really shouldn't count. There are dozens of MLB.com articles about the White Sox that appear on MLB.com with the words "the Sox" in the title. Like the Red Sox articles, almost all of them are written by Merken.

I am aware of those articles by Merken, etc.. I'm referring to just what I see on the main pages of those sites. It's just my opinion/preference and I was simply agreeing with Mary (who also said this was just her opinion/preference) - sorry if that it makes me "so paranoid".

itsnotrequired
11-03-2007, 11:20 PM
I am aware of those articles by Merken, etc.. I'm referring to just what I see on the main pages of those sites. It's just my opinion/preference and I was simply agreeing with Mary - sorry if that it makes me "so paranoid".

Take a look at the MLB.com articles from November of 2005. Headlines with the words "the Sox" in them sure aren't referring to the Red Sox.

RadioheadRocks
11-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Take a look at the MLB.com articles from November of 2005. Headlines with the words "the Sox" in them sure aren't referring to the Red Sox.

Not trying to stir the pot or anything, but that's Mary Swiss' and Hitmen77's whole point... why should we have to go back to November, 2005 to find headlines about "The Sox" that aren't referring to Boston?

itsnotrequired
11-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Not trying to stir the pot or anything, but that's Mary Swiss' and Hitmen77's whole point... why should we have to go back to November, 2005 to find headlines about "The Sox" that aren't referring to Boston?

The Red Sox just won the World Series, their second title in four years. The White Sox finished 4th in their division (first time since the AL Central was created) and had the worst team record in over a decade. Is anyone honestly bent out of shape the the Red Sox are right now being referred to as simply "the Sox"? The same thing happened to the White Sox after they won the World Series back in 2005. Were Boston fans up in arms at the White Sox being called "the Sox"?

It may be a Merkin article, but one only has to go back to the ancient day of September 15, 2007 to see a MLB.com headline with the phrase "the Sox" and related to the White Sox.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/search_archive.jsp?c_id=mlb&query=next&team=mlb&year=2007&month=09&category=news_features&columnist=null&categoryLabel=News+and+Features&pg=36

pierzynski07
11-04-2007, 09:10 AM
To me, the only problem I'd have is if a writer said "the Sox" without first clarifying what the team in question is. Once the team is established, they can shorthand it all they want.

Soxzilla
11-04-2007, 07:02 PM
WEEI was trying to find this columnist today but they don't know he doesn't exist

He doesn't seem to remember the White Sox either

http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/red-110207-bagboy,0,6559403.column?coll=red-columnists

He exists about as much as Bob Ryan does.

gaelhound
11-04-2007, 11:30 PM
How on earth do you forget something you supposedly were able to PERSONALLY witness???
You get confused when you win two worlde series games in one day!:supernana:

Oblong
11-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I walked by Ryan at a bar in New Orleans during super bowl week in 2002. It was 2:30 pm and he already looked pretty toasted so it wouldn't surprise me if he forgets lots of things.