PDA

View Full Version : John Farrell turns down chance to manage Pirates

Fenway
11-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell was considered a lock to be the new Pirates manager. He doesn't want it.

“While I do have aspirations to manage in the major leagues in the future, my commitment to John, Tom, Larry, Theo, Tito, and the Red Sox, needs to be greater than one year for their faith in hiring me as their pitching coach. Therefore I have declined the opportunity to interview for the position of Pittsburgh Pirates manager. I look forward to contributing to and competing for another World Series title here in Boston."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/11/farrell_turns_d.html

TheVulture
11-02-2007, 02:29 PM
In other words, I'd like to manage someday, just not the Pirates.

Fenway
11-02-2007, 02:31 PM
In other words, I'd like to manage someday, just not the Pirates.

can you blame him?

Pirates are now looking at Grady Little

drewcifer
11-02-2007, 03:09 PM
can you blame him?

And I heard Joey Cora yesterday on XM too. Or is that over with?

palehozenychicty
11-03-2007, 12:09 PM
can you blame him?

Grady Little?! Him!? Oy vey! :rolleyes:

That team has according to word, a fabulous new stadium, and they can't get any respectable baseball figure to play with them. Ugh.

Fenway
11-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Grady Little?! Him!? Oy vey! :rolleyes:

That team has according to word, a fabulous new stadium, and they can't get any respectable baseball figure to play with them. Ugh.

The Pirates now say they will name the manager on Monday and 5 names are being mentioned. Grady is not one of them

The five finalists to replace Jim Tracy, who was fired Oct. 5 after two seasons, are Class AAA Indianapolis manager Trent Jewett, Cleveland third base coach Joel Skinner, Class AAA Lehigh Valley manager John Russell, Los Angeles Dodgers bench coach Dave Jauss and Chicago White Sox bench coach Joey Cora.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07307/830867-63.stm

PKalltheway
11-03-2007, 01:09 PM
It really is a shame too. I got to go to PNC Park back in August, and it is by far the best ballpark that I've been to. The Pirates themselves are a painful watch though. The Pirates have gotten to be so bad that there's just a lot of general apathy towards them in Pittsburgh.:(:

I'm in my second year of college right now, and I am not old enough to remember the last time they had a winning season (1992, when I was 4). Hell, one of my buddies who's about to graduate from college was 6 in '92, and he doesn't even remember. When you have college students that aren't old enough to remember the last time you had a winning season, you're more than just bad. You're becoming historically pathetic.