PDA

View Full Version : Mackowiak a Free Agent

soxinem1
11-02-2007, 10:33 AM
SD declines his option:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10446334

Let the 'Should we bring Mackowiak back' debate begin.

Huisj
11-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok, I'll start the debate. I think it usually starts something like this: Mackowiak can be a valuable player off the bench if he's used properly, but Guillen often seems too tempted to make him an everyday player, and he's no super good at that.

Personally, I kind of like him as a player, but I'm not sure where he fits on the team, and it's really probably too early to know where he would fit on the team since we don't know what other moves will be made. He can be a decent backup corner outfielder and maybe an occasional backup at 3rd or 1st base to give a guy a day off, and with Erstad gone, we really have no one to play backup at 1st. He can't really play CF, and I'm seeing Owens being the 4th outfielder because he can play CF and he's fast. And for 3b, first there is Crede, and then with Fields on the roster too, I don't really see where Mack would get any playing time.

drewcifer
11-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Ok, I'll start the debate. I think it usually starts something like this: Mackowiak can be a valuable player off the bench if he's used properly, but Guillen often seems too tempted to make him an everyday player, and he's no super good at that.

Personally, I kind of like him as a player, but I'm not sure where he fits on the team, and it's really probably too early to know where he would fit on the team since we don't know what other moves will be made. He can be a decent backup corner outfielder and maybe an occasional backup at 3rd or 1st base to give a guy a day off, and with Erstad gone, we really have no one to play backup at 1st. He can't really play CF, and I'm seeing Owens being the 4th outfielder because he can play CF and he's fast. And for 3b, first there is Crede, and then with Fields on the roster too, I don't really see where Mack would get any playing time.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. If Fields or Crede go down though (assuming both are on the team), then there's a great reason to look at him. You already showed how he can help at an OF corner or 3rd and if one or the other goes down, there's a hole he can plug. The 1B backup capability just adds even more value.

Of course, without knowing what Kenny is planning, this may all be moot. :wink:

Hitmen77
11-02-2007, 11:38 AM
For the right price I'd take him back.

Aside from CF, he is a serviceable sub at many positions. Our bench is pretty thin right now. I'd rather have him as our "supersub" than Andy Gonzalez or Alex Cintron.

Mr. Man
11-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Let the 'Should we bring Mackowiak back' debate begin.

Home Run Derby (http://homerderby.com/archives/1474) picks up the glove you dropped.
And doesn't want him back.

Go Sox!

DumpJerry
11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Home Run Derby (http://homerderby.com/archives/1474) picks up the glove you dropped.
And doesn't want him back.

Go Sox!
They seem to feel that the White Sox should go for ARod because he is better than Uribe. They also compare Mackowiak to Carl Everett and the Alomar brothers as far as Kenny wanting to bring them back over and over. They overlook the fact that we won the World Series with Everett as our DH.

In other words, who are these Home Run Derby people and why should we care?

Mackowiak has some positives on his side to be sure. Playing Center may not be one of them. Wasn't he injured in September? What is the status on that?

SBSoxFan
11-02-2007, 12:01 PM
They seem to feel that the White Sox should go for ARod because he is better than Uribe. They also compare Mackowiak to Carl Everett and the Alomar brothers as far as Kenny wanting to bring them back over and over. They overlook the fact that we won the World Series with Everett as our DH.

In other words, who are these Home Run Derby people and why should we care?

Mackowiak has some positives on his side to be sure. Playing Center may not be one of them. Wasn't he injured in September? What is the status on that?

Yeah he was. Groin I think.

thomas35forever
11-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Hmmm......we're pretty filled up at 3B. Could he play SS? As long as he stays out of the outfield, I'd consider him.

IlliniSox4Life
11-02-2007, 12:23 PM
As a bench player, sure. Not as a starter though.

Lip Man 1
11-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Mac is fine as a corner outfielder / back up 3rd baseman, he was out of position in center. I've seen him make some outstanding catches in the corner spots so I know he can play there.

The other factor though is playing close to home. He appears to be one of those guys who has trouble playing for the 'home town' team...maybe it's trying to hard, maybe it's constant ticket request from family and friends. But if you bring him back that also has to be examined.

I agree though that he's better then Gonzales or Cintron.

Lip

eriqjaffe
11-02-2007, 01:25 PM
The other factor though is playing close to home. He appears to be one of those guys who has trouble playing for the 'home town' team...maybe it's trying to hard, maybe it's constant ticket request from family and friends. But if you bring him back that also has to be examined.His problems stemmed more from his defensive misuse. Over a season and a half on the south side, he posted a .285/.360/.411 and an OPS+ of 98, which is pretty good for a bench guy, and a bit higher than his career OPS+, which would make me think that he actually played a bit better for the Sox, on the whole, than he did for Pittsburgh and San Diego.

Again, if the Sox have to rely on him as a starter, they'd be in trouble. But as a backup, he's just fine, and I'd like seeing him back in black.

TheVulture
11-02-2007, 02:21 PM

I'll say it again: it's not Ozzie's fault he doesn't have a better player to pencil in the lineup.

Crede_Fan
11-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Couldn't he also be our backup 1B?

Just sayin'

JoeyCora28
11-02-2007, 04:10 PM
For the right price I'd take him back.

Aside from CF, he is a serviceable sub at many positions. Our bench is pretty thin right now. I'd rather have him as our "supersub" than Andy Gonzalez or Alex Cintron.

:ozuna:
What about me??

cws05champ
11-02-2007, 10:49 PM
We don't need Torii Hunter in CF. If MAck is available then we should just plug him in CF for much cheaper, and then sign A-Rod.

JB98
11-03-2007, 01:24 AM
I'll say it again: it's not Ozzie's fault he doesn't have a better player to pencil in the lineup.

And Ozzie is always going to use his bench. He doesn't let anybody sit and rot for 10 days, which always leads WSI posters to accuse of him of turning bench players into regulars. For a good chunk of this season, Mackowiak WAS our best option in LF.

I would like to have a bench of Uribe, Ozuna, Fields, Mackowiak and Hall next season. Sign a new CF. Bring in a new starting SS. Keep Crede.

Those five on the bench provide insurance against almost anything.

Frater Perdurabo
11-03-2007, 07:29 AM
I would like to have a bench of Uribe, Ozuna, Fields, Mackowiak and Hall next season. Sign a new CF. Bring in a new starting SS. Keep Crede.

Those five on the bench provide insurance against almost anything.

I like your proposed bench, but what about backup CF?

Tragg
11-03-2007, 07:58 AM
Mack was okay, but nothing special. If Ozuna's our utility guy, I'd look elsewhere and find a better hitter or someone who can play late inning D.