PDA

View Full Version : Torre to Dodgers - official

downstairs
11-01-2007, 05:25 PM
From CBS Sportsline:

BREAKING NEWSTorre named new manager of DodgersThe Los Angeles Dodgers announced they have hired Joe Torre as their manager. CBSSports.com's Scott Miller says the deal is for three years.

soxinem1
11-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Wow, what a shock....

chisoxfanatic
11-01-2007, 05:50 PM
It's gonna be weird watching Yankee games without Torre as manager.

Brian26
11-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Wow, what a shock....

I'm actually shocked. I thought he would take the obligatory year off to do color commentating or studio analysis in order to "rejuvenate and figure out what he wanted to do with his life" before announcing his return because his "competitive thirst needed to quenched."

Brian26
11-01-2007, 08:44 PM
It's gonna be weird watching Yankee games without Torre as manager.

I never tire of watching old VHS tapes of Stump Merrill and Stick Michael.

gogosox16
11-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Thats pretty funny he takes the Dodgers part for 1 he took it so fast after saying no to the yanks and 2 didnt he just take less money from the Dodgers than he got offered by the Yanks. lol.

RKMeibalane
11-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Thats pretty funny he takes the Dodgers part for 1 he took it so fast after saying no to the yanks and 2 didnt he just take less money from the Dodgers than he got offered by the Yanks. lol.

I don't think money had anything to do with it. That was what Torre told the media, but I think he would have turned down just about any offer that the Yankees could have made. The reality is, Torre grew tired of George Steinbrenner jerking him around, and didn't want to put himself in a position to be fired by his sons. At least by taking the Dodgers job, Joe has an opportunity for a fresh start.

ndgt10
11-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Great hire. He'll be winning championships for them in no time.

HomeFish
11-01-2007, 10:03 PM

The Dodgers don't have anything to be grateful to Torre for, so it's harder for them to disrespect him.

The guy truly seems to be out for something other than money. He might just be one of those guys who would go crazy if they didn't have a steady job to keep them busy.

Noneck
11-01-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm actually shocked. I thought he would take the obligatory year off to do color commentating or studio analysis in order to "rejuvenate and figure out what he wanted to do with his life" before announcing his return because his "competitive thirst needed to quenched."

At the age of 67 there is no time for that.

doublem23
11-02-2007, 12:12 AM

Joe Torre is still in demand, unlike some other recently-fired and now rehired managers.

http://www.harrywalker.com/photos/Baker_Dusty.jpg

TDog
11-02-2007, 12:13 AM

Joe Torre did television color for the Angels on KTLA in the 1980s. He may have been the worst full-time color man I ever heard doing baseball. And I remember J.C. Martin. Rod Carew was worse on Angels telecasts, but he wasn't full-time.

doublem23
11-02-2007, 12:16 AM
The guy truly seems to be out for something other than money. He might just be one of those guys who would go crazy if they didn't have a steady job to keep them busy.

I think he really wants to go out on top on his own terms. I know the Yankees offered him a massive deal, but he had put up with a lot of bull**** from that organization over the last few years, despite the fact that he guided them to the post-season for the last decade.

Of course, I want the White Sox to win the World Series every year, but I'll find a small soft spot for the Dodgers next year. Watching Joe Torre be handed the Commissioner's Trophy next year would pretty much be the biggest middle finger you could point at the arrogant morons that run "the Yankees Universe."

Paulwny
11-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Not all people think of Torre as a saint.

Yank YES announcer Michael Kay:
There are things about Joe Torre, if I wanted to come out and say, would show how cold and calculated he really is," Kay fumed. "... Joe Torre is for Joe Torre. ... The graveyard of Yankees coaches is loaded with bones of coaches Joe Torre did nothing about."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/11/02/2007-11-02_michael_kay_rips_joe_torre_but_not_on_ye.html

Fenway
11-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Not all people think of Torre as a saint.

Yank YES announcer Michael Kay:
There are things about Joe Torre, if I wanted to come out and say, would show how cold and calculated he really is," Kay fumed. "... Joe Torre is for Joe Torre. ... The graveyard of Yankees coaches is loaded with bones of coaches Joe Torre did nothing about."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/11/02/2007-11-02_michael_kay_rips_joe_torre_but_not_on_ye.html

Word out of New York is Kay will not be doing YES play by play next year as the Yankees are about to hire Sean McDonough

Kogs35
11-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Word out of New York is Kay will not be doing YES play by play next year as the Yankees are about to hire Sean McDonough

a voice missed in baseball. maybe next year some yankee games will actually be listanble

palehozenychicty
11-03-2007, 12:07 PM

Michael Kay is pitiful. Good riddance.