PDA

View Full Version : Boras: It wasn't A-Rod's fault..it was Mariano Rivera

Fenway
11-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Boras is completly insane if he thinks this will help his case

Scott Boras points ridiculous finger at Mariano Rivera (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/11/01/2007-11-01_scott_boras_points_ridiculous_finger_at_.html)

On ESPN's "First Take" show yesterday, Boras made the mistake of trying to defend A-Rod's failures in the postseason as some sort of twisted media perspective that needed correcting.

He even blamed Mariano Rivera as a cause for A-Rod's problems, which may be the height of desperation.

"If you look at Alex's first season in New York, I believe he was 7-for-16 with two home runs and five RBIs going into Game 4 in Boston.

"The brilliant Mariano Rivera, probably the only flaw he's made in a historic career over the postseason, if he got those three outs (in the ninth inning of Game 4), Alex would have been in the World Series and he would have been held to have a great postseason.

"When you look at his records with Seattle - and even this year - you're talking about a player whose postseason records are really up there with many of the superstars of the game."

chisoxjtrain
11-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Boras is completly insane if he thinks this will help his case

Scott Boras points ridiculous finger at Mariano Rivera (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/11/01/2007-11-01_scott_boras_points_ridiculous_finger_at_.html)

:rolleyes: I am speechless :rolleyes:

IlliniSox4Life
11-01-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't know if he's really blaming him so much as saying "just what if this one thing happens you could be looking at ARod totally differently".

I could do the same thing with Frank Thomas and say "if you go back to 2005 and Frank never got injured that year he would have led the team through the playoffs and could still be with us as a DH". That's not to say the only reason Frank wasn't re-signed was that he got injured that one year, but that if he didn't get injured things could have gone very differently because he would have ended up probably being the big name on the team in the playoffs that won the WS.

That's not really a perfect example, but the guy is basically just coming out and saying that Mariano is a great closer, and if Mariano happened to close out that one game this whole "ARod sucks in the playoffs" thing might not have ever come around because they win that series. He probably shouldn't have singled out Rivera and said something more along the lines of "If the yankees win that series instead of letting the Red Sox come back...", but I still don't have that big of a problem with it.

chaerulez
11-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I don't know if he's really blaming him so much as saying "just what if this one thing happens you could be looking at ARod totally differently".

I could do the same thing with Frank Thomas and say "if you go back to 2005 and Frank never got injured that year he would have led the team through the playoffs and could still be with us as a DH". That's not to say the only reason Frank wasn't re-signed was that he got injured that one year, but that if he didn't get injured things could have gone very differently because he would have ended up probably being the big name on the team in the playoffs that won the WS.

That's not really a perfect example, but the guy is basically just coming out and saying that Mariano is a great closer, and if Mariano happened to close out that one game this whole "ARod sucks in the playoffs" thing might not have ever come around because they win that series. He probably shouldn't have singled out Rivera and said something more along the lines of "If the yankees win that series instead of letting the Red Sox come back...", but I still don't have that big of a problem with it.

I look at it the same way. If Rivera did close out that series no one talks about how A-Rod never made it to the World Series and his ALCS performance goes down as a great series. Boras should really just keep his mouth shut, but I don't think he's trying to blame Rivera for anything.

IlliniSox4Life
11-01-2007, 12:48 PM
I look at it the same way. If Rivera did close out that series no one talks about how A-Rod never made it to the World Series and his ALCS performance goes down as a great series. Boras should really just keep his mouth shut, but I don't think he's trying to blame Rivera for anything.

Agreed

Fenway
11-01-2007, 12:50 PM

But if Boras wants to play that game then he must answer the following

What about Games 5, 6, and 7 against the Red Sox, when even one clutch hit, particularly in Games 5 and 6, might have changed everything?

What about 2005 against the Angels?

What about 2006 against the Tigers?

What about Games 1 and 2 against the Indians last month, when the ALDS essentially was decided?

Boras is acting like the $30 million Texas was on the hook for should not concern New York. The Yankees made it clear from Day 1 that if they lost the payments from the Rangers they were out of this. Hank Steinbrenner CAN'T back down from this now or he will be accused of being a wimp to Boras.

This may backfire on A-Rod and Boras badly. Mets fans are now calling WFAN saying do not sign him and Red Sox fans are doing the same.

You knock those 3 teams out it will be a lot harder to find someone willing to cough up $30 M a year. One thing of note today, the NY papers are now whispering Detroit as a possible player.

Irishsox1
11-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Check out A-Rod's average in the playoffs:

1997 .313 AVG
2000 .318 AVG
.409 AVG
2004 .421 AVG
.258 AVG
2005 .133 AVG
2006 .071 AVG
2007 .267 AVG

7 HR's and 38 K's overall.

2005 & 2006 he stunk the joint up, but other than that he's been pretty good average wise.

Personally, I would never want Mr. April. He's a big money guy, but he sure doesn't seem like a team leader. Having A-Rod and Jeter on the Yankees was a boneheaded move. Who's the captain...Jeter but who makes more money...A-Rod. It was never going to work.

Oblong
11-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Check out A-Rod's average in the playoffs:

1997 .313 AVG
2000 .318 AVG
.409 AVG
2004 .421 AVG
.258 AVG
2005 .133 AVG
2006 .071 AVG
2007 .267 AVG

7 HR's and 38 K's overall.

2005 & 2006 he stunk the joint up, but other than that he's been pretty good average wise.

Personally, I would never want Mr. April. He's a big money guy, but he sure doesn't seem like a team leader. Having A-Rod and Jeter on the Yankees was a boneheaded move. Who's the captain...Jeter but who makes more money...A-Rod. It was never going to work.

Varitek's the captain of the Red Sox and isn't the highest paid player. And the Yankees are paying Jeter more than they paid A-Rod.

I don't see these comments as pointing the finger or blaming Rivera. It's just an example of the many small things in sports that cause fans and the media to make broad, and often incorrect, generalizations about teams.

thomas35forever
11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
While it's true Rivera should have gotten those last three outs, I don't think it's worth getting mad because your client didn't make it to the WS. I don't even know who this whole saga is about anymore, A-Rod or Boras.

thepaulbowski
11-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Does Boras realize what an idiot he sounds like. What if the Yankees had won, went to the World Series and ARod went 0 for 16 in the series?

Doing the if thing is childish at best.

ChiSoxFan35
11-01-2007, 02:55 PM
I wonder if Boras is getting his ideas from sports radio. I've heard a lot of his interviews these past weeks and he's never brought this up, he's always made comparisons of other great players' numbers in the playoffs. This rationale was brought up by Mike and the MadDog on WFAN a few days ago when callers were calling him a loser and postseason failure. They said if Mariano did his job, it'd be a lot different as Arod would have his ring and he did well in that postseason.

I don't see who can/will sign ARod. Maybe it'll be a weird team like SF or LAD. The possibilities I think of:
-Mets - same media and claims the wife doesn't like NY b/c of the exposure
-Angels - owner came out and said Vlad is his franchise player and he's paying nobody more than Vlad
-Cubs - already did the chicagosports.com 'don't count on it' article, weird ownership situation
-Boston - Not so sure they wouldn't keep Lowell? I can see them doing it, but I don't think it'd go over so great

All the other teams, who wants to tie up that much in one guy? I think people are starting to recognize that model does not work. And it doesn't sound like he's taking a pay cut when they're coming up with rationale for breaking contract records again. I hope owners are coming together and take a stand against Boras. Ouch, Andruw Jones too, might be a bad year to be a Boras client

drewcifer
11-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Does Boras realize what an idiot he sounds like. What if the Yankees had won, went to the World Series and ARod went 0 for 16 in the series?

Doing the if thing is childish at best.

Not to mention the assumption that A-Rod "would have his ring". Utter bull****.

jackbrohamer
11-01-2007, 03:08 PM
The whole Boras --- A-Rod act is so freakin' boring by now. It's pathetic that baseball GMs are going to allow him to hold up the whole free agent market while he establishes the new "market" value for high-end players based on A-Rod's new contract.

tebman
11-01-2007, 03:18 PM
The whole Boras --- A-Rod act is so freakin' boring by now. It's pathetic that baseball GMs are going to allow him to hold up the whole free agent market while he establishes the new "market" value for high-end players based on A-Rod's new contract.
You're right about the act being old already. Rodriguez is too good a player to not be signed by somebody, but the whole "Step Right Up!" traveling show that Boras is putting on probably won't get any other offers than those they might have gotten anyway.

That New Yorker article about Boras mentioned his patience and brinkmanship in negotiations. It'll be interesting to see how patient with the process Rodriguez himself is when this is finally over.

RKMeibalane
11-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Not to mention the assumption that A-Rod "would have his ring". Utter bull****.

Not to nitpick, but both teams who participate in the World Series receive rings, so he would have gotten a ring. :cool:

Fenway
11-01-2007, 07:46 PM
ESPN reported that Boras wants 360 mil and 12 years and not a penny less.

RKMeibalane
11-01-2007, 09:55 PM

As good as Rodriguez is, I hope no one is stupid enough to offer that much money. Someone needs to grow a set of testicles and stand up to Boras.

DumpJerry
11-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Well it's promising to know that Mariano is not a Borass client.

doublem23
11-02-2007, 12:11 AM
[quote=Fenway;1713308]ESPN reported that Boras wants 360 mil and 12 years and not a penny less.

12 years? He wants a 12-year deal for a 32-year-old?

ilsox7
11-02-2007, 12:13 AM
12 years? He wants a 12-year deal for a 32-year-old?Are we sure Boras doesn't post here? This is as absurd of some of the threads around these parts!

TheOldRoman
11-02-2007, 12:23 AM
ESPN reported that Boras wants 360 mil and 12 years and not a penny less.Just last week I demanded the same contract. My boss told me something along the lines of what Borass will hear when he throws those numbers at teams. Someone might offer an insane contract that will cripple their franchise for years to come, but I can't see anyone offering 12 years. 10 years would be a huge stretch.

12 years is just too long. The only type of player that would seem halfway reasonable for is Miguel Cabrera when he his free agency at the age of 26. Still, a lot happens in 12 years. Imagine if the Sox would have signed Big Frank, one of the greatest hitters of all time, to a 12 year deal following the 1995 season. The last few years wouldn't have been pretty. That would be like Todd Helton squared. Cabrera isn't as big as Frank, but injuries happen all the time. I wouldn't guarantee Cabrera until he was 38, and I certainly wouldn't guarantee A-Rod until he was 44.

ws05champs
11-02-2007, 06:42 PM
As good as Rodriguez is, I hope no one is stupid enough to offer that much money. Someone needs to grow a set of testicles and stand up to Boras.
No matter how stupid we think Boras sounds, I can't even begin to imagine how stupid the owner will sound that pays what Boras is demanding. And have no doubts, there is an owner out there stupid enough.

drewcifer
11-02-2007, 06:50 PM
No matter how stupid we think Boras sounds, I can't even begin to imagine how stupid the owner will sound that pays what Boras is demanding. And have no doubts, there is an owner out there stupid enough.

I can't imagine who... I kept hearing snippets about Florida and some kind of interest deal in the club (or maybe a stadium, not sure which). There was something similar to this that was going around earlier about the Cubs (I think I might have even read it here). But is that even possible? That wouldn't violate any kind of interest conflict rule of MLB?

Fenway
11-02-2007, 07:01 PM
If the Mariins get the stadium done they could be a player. It is his home.

PKalltheway
11-02-2007, 10:18 PM
[quote]

12 years? He wants a 12-year deal for a 32-year-old?
Geez, that is absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes, you'll get a pitcher that's suprisingly effective at 44, but that's even rare. A hitter, though?!:o:

There's no way in hell A-Rod will continue to put up A-Rod like numbers at 44.

Boondock Saint
11-02-2007, 10:31 PM

Get it done, Kenny!

cws05champ
11-02-2007, 10:44 PM
If the Mariins get the stadium done they could be a player. It is his home.

No way... Their whole payroll isn't even 30 mil, but they'll pay A-Rod an equivalent of 30 mil/year? I live down here, and was a Marlins season ticket holder at one point( yes, I was the one). There is no way the Marlins would sign A-rod, or that Bora$$ will allow A-Rod to sign in a market like South Florida. Their model is clear, build with young talent, and a few veterans when they get close, then blow it up afterwards. A part ownership or an A-Rod type contract would be untradeable.

misty60481
11-02-2007, 11:20 PM
I dont like the idea of salaries going sky high but it makes me laugh to see owners complain when for so many years before FA they more or less had players like slaves. Some day things will even out. The owners are not stupid and wont let one person ruin there franchise. If anybody signs him you can be sure they can afford it.

Steelrod
11-03-2007, 02:23 AM
I dont like the idea of salaries going sky high but it makes me laugh to see owners complain when for so many years before FA they more or less had players like slaves. Some day things will even out. The owners are not stupid and wont let one person ruin there franchise. If anybody signs him you can be sure they can afford it.
None of today's owners we involved back then, and a few of them weren't even born yet! Why not punish those teams in states that backed the Confederacy.

It's Dankerific
11-03-2007, 04:58 AM
None of today's owners we involved back then, and a few of them weren't even born yet! Why not punish those teams in states that backed the Confederacy.

Public Establishments with a history of racial injustice are held to a higher standard in their actions (like hiring and firing of employees). Its sometimes necessary to watch establishments that have a history...

FarWestChicago
11-03-2007, 06:49 AM
This thread is getting way too political. Back of from the edge.