PDA

View Full Version : Final design of new Twins stadium released

itsnotrequired
10-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Images of the final design for the new Twins Stadium were unveiled on Tuesday which includes newly added upper deck seating above right-field. Along with the new seating, a family picnic area will look down on the field from above centerfield.

The Hennepin County Board will vote on the plan next week.

http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1643&Itemid=56

Includes a video flythrough of the new stadium

soxfanatlanta
10-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Very attractive ballpark, but the artists forgot to draw the snow. :smile:

Fenway
10-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Very attractive ballpark, but the artists forgot to draw the snow. :smile:

Last row of the upper deck looks like it will be very high :o:

DoItForDanPasqua
10-31-2007, 09:26 AM
What's with the green seats? They should have built it with blue seats and then changed them to green.

Fenway
10-31-2007, 09:32 AM
What's with the green seats? They should have built it with blue seats and then changed them to green.
They bought them from JR

mrfourni
10-31-2007, 09:46 AM
No hefty bag?

Max Power
10-31-2007, 09:49 AM

I was just going to post the same thought.

Also, the ends of the roof look weird. I do like the plaza in right field.

wdelaney72
10-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Too much outfield seating. I know the majority of members here like the "homerun porch" concept, but I've always found outfield seating in any ballpark to be difficult to see.

Also, the goofy shaped video scren looks too much the renovated Solder Field... no thanks.

Hitmen77
10-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Great video. I'll be glad to see the Twins move from that depressing dome to an open-air ballpark with natural grass. That'll leave Tampa Bay and Toronto as the only teams playing on an artificial surface and Tampa Bay the only team playing in a fixed dome that never sees sunlight.

I agree with others on the high upper deck seating and all the upper level outfield seating. It looks like there are a lot of OF seats that are pretty far from the field. But, since that park isn't the home of the White Sox, I'm sure it won't be criticized in the media much.

Though they'll be glad to escape the Dome, Twins fans and MLB are going to have their share cold early/late season games in their future. Too bad the Twins owners wouldn't contribute more to make a retractable roof possible. To be honest, I have mixed feeling about retractable roof parks. Many of them, while light years better than old domes, just don't look nearly as nice as completely open air parks. But, in the Twin Cities, there are going to be some games where they were wishing they had a retractable roof.

Irishsox1
10-31-2007, 11:29 AM
If anyone should have a retractable roof, it's Minnesota. Like the stadium, but they need a roof.

MeteorsSox4367
10-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Looks nice, but where's the tank for the piranhas?

TDog
10-31-2007, 12:19 PM

Only fans/media in Chicago complain about high and steep seating.

Hitmen77
10-31-2007, 01:17 PM
by the way, I noticed that the video shows some sort of light-rail system running to the ballpark. Does Minneapolis have light-rail?

DSpivack
10-31-2007, 01:25 PM
by the way, I noticed that the video shows some sort of light-rail system running to the ballpark. Does Minneapolis have light-rail?

http://www.metrotransit.org/rail/

Nellie_Fox
10-31-2007, 02:53 PM
If anyone should have a retractable roof, it's Minnesota. Like the stadium, but they need a roof.Feel free to send Minnesota a check to help cover the cost. I don't want to pay for it.

PKalltheway
10-31-2007, 03:02 PM
Looks like it will be very nice. Some people say that playing outside will pose a problem towards the beginning and end of the season (it will), but the Twins played outdoors from 1961-1981, so it isn't like it's never been done before.

Plus, have the Twins already broken ground on their new stadium? I swear I have seen pictures of them doing it already...

MisterB
10-31-2007, 05:16 PM
Feel free to send Minnesota a check to help cover the cost. I don't want to pay for it.

Yeah, if only the Twins' owner was independently wealthy he could chip in for a roof.

Wait a minute...

Law11
10-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Talk about high.. 4 decks?

johnr1note
10-31-2007, 05:46 PM
I think the Nationals new park looks better.

Brian26
10-31-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm waiting for a team to reverse the trend and design a retro cookie-cutter stadium :thumbsup:

http://www.archidose.org/Blog/Old/3rivers.jpg

PaleHoseGeorge
10-31-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm waiting for a team to reverse the trend and design a retro cookie-cutter stadium

Believe me, the donut-vintage stadiums will prove to have aged better than the current crop of cookie-cutter downtown theme parks. Minnesota's new ballpark faces the skyline. What does that make, 10 in a row?

It's not like Six Flags where you can reinvent the attraction by adding a new ride every year. These ballparks are going to get awfully stale very quickly.

Daver
10-31-2007, 08:46 PM
It's not like Six Flags where you can reinvent the attraction by adding a new ride every year. These ballparks are going to get awfully stale very quickly.

Yeah, but building new ones every ten years keeps the trades working.

Brian26
10-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah, but building new ones every ten years keeps the trades working.

Got to keep them working since new home construction is in the crapper (no pun intended).

Frater Perdurabo
11-01-2007, 06:19 AM
Minnesota's new ballpark faces the skyline. What does that make, 10 in a row?

I don't think good architecture ever goes out of style. So if a park provides a view of a downtown skyline, it cannot be a bad thing.

Now if you want to discuss tricked-up walls, pointless flagpoles and gimmicky dimensions, then I agree that these aspects will get old really fast.

But the cookie-cutter stadiums did not age well. The oldest and last remaining cookie-cutter park, RFK, is a dump. There's no charm in it whatsoever. The only donut that anyone could claim to have any charm would have been Busch Stadium, since its arches tied in with the nearby Gateway Arch.

DSpivack
11-01-2007, 10:23 AM
I don't think good architecture ever goes out of style. So if a park provides a view of a downtown skyline, it cannot be a bad thing.

Now if you want to discuss tricked-up walls, pointless flagpoles and gimmicky dimensions, then I agree that these aspects will get old really fast.

But the cookie-cutter stadiums did not age well. The oldest and last remaining cookie-cutter park, RFK, is a dump. There's no charm in it whatsoever. The only donut that anyone could claim to have any charm would have been Busch Stadium, since its arches tied in with the nearby Gateway Arch.

Even the old Busch wasn't that great; the Cardinals just did a much better job of touching it up (renovating it in the mid-90s, don't remember exactly when) than anyone else did.

Fenway
11-01-2007, 10:51 AM

George there are still 3 cookie cutters left but 2 will be gone shortly.

Shea Stadium is the worst of them all but Oakland isn't much better.

The last cookie cutter is Skydome (Rogers Centre ). If you take away the roof you have Three Rivers Stadium.

markp8867
11-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Sorry, it doesn't look all that impressive or creative to me. Their new park (at least in the outfield) looks similar to Petco Park only minus the great San Diego weather and neighborhood. Still though it's at least a one million percent improvement to where they play now. I will say that the skyline of downtown Schaumburg is more impressive than Minneapolis though.

So where is that stupid giant milk jug in right field and where are the blower fans the Twins use to cheat against their opponents? The later is great news for the White Sox because the Twins have always been helped big time by that mysterious wind blowing in while they are pitching and then blowing out while they are hitting. This will knock off at least a few wins from their team every year that they would have had if they still played at the Tinkerdome.

I think those blower fans are just another reason not to sign Torii Hunter. Because of them, his home run/RBI total is very misleading. He is a great fielder but I still remember last year in the playoffs when he was responsible for an inside-the-park home run and the Twins losing that series. Ironically if the wind wasn't blowing in he probably would have caught that ball too lol. Oh well.

itsnotrequired
11-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Sorry, it doesn't look all that impressive or creative to me. Their new park (at least in the outfield) looks similar to Petco Park only minus the great San Diego weather and neighborhood. Still though it's at least a one million percent improvement to where they play now. I will say that the skyline of downtown Schaumburg is more impressive than Minneapolis though.

So where is that stupid giant milk jug in right field and where are the blower fans the Twins use to cheat against their opponents? The later is great news for the White Sox because the Twins have always been helped big time by that mysterious wind blowing in while they are pitching and then blowing out while they are hitting. This will knock off at least a few wins from their team every year that they would have had if they still played at the Tinkerdome.

I think those blower fans are just another reason not to sign Torii Hunter. Because of them, his home run/RBI total is very misleading. He is a great fielder but I still remember last year in the playoffs when he was responsible for an inside-the-park home run and the Twins losing that series. Ironically if the wind wasn't blowing in he probably would have caught that ball too lol. Oh well.

epic blower rant

Hitmen77
11-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Believe me, the donut-vintage stadiums will prove to have aged better than the current crop of cookie-cutter downtown theme parks. Minnesota's new ballpark faces the skyline. What does that make, 10 in a row?

I doubt that the new retro-parks will age worse than the old multi-purpose cookie cutters. Not even close. A more likely comparison for the current crop of ballparks are the baseball-only parks from the 60s and 70s - namely Dodger Stadium, Kaufmann Stadium, and Angels Stadium. Updates will be needed at some point, but I can't imagine that in 30 years there will be cries to dynamite Camden Yards and Jacobs Field.

What will happen...and what has happened is that they won't seem special anymore. Remember when Camden Yards was so widely hailed and lauded? Now that there are 15 or 20 Camden Yards around the league, it's still a nice place - but it's not as notable anymore. Plus, Camden Yards hasn't been enough to prevent attendance from sagging in Baltimore as the O's continually fail to compete.

I agree with Frater. What will become old and stale are the cheesy gimmicks like the flagpole and hill in the playing field, unnecessarily goofy outfield dimensions like they have at Houston.

DSpivack
11-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Sod being laid at Nats Ballpark (still no name) today.

http://clarkconstruction.oxblue.com/clarkhuntsmoot/

Fenway
11-01-2007, 12:17 PM
I was never at a game at the old park but did see it before it was torn down. Tiger Stadium never got this bad

http://images.bleedcubbieblue.com/images/admin/twins01.jpg (http://images.bleedcubbieblue.com/images/admin/twins01.jpg)
http://images.bleedcubbieblue.com/images/admin/twins03.jpg (http://images.bleedcubbieblue.com/images/admin/twins03.jpg)

wdelaney72
11-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Fenway,
What ballpark is that?

DSpivack
11-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Fenway,
What ballpark is that?

I'm guessing the Twins old Metropolitan Stadium.

Fenway
11-01-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm guessing the Twins old Metropolitan Stadium.

The Met in Bloomington.

Now the site of The Mall of America which is the second most impressive mall I have ever seen.

The one in Edmonton tops it IMHO

markp8867
11-01-2007, 12:49 PM

I think both of these parks are a waste of taxpayers money. I see nothing about either park that makes me want to visit and the Nats park was supposed to have several other improvements to the area and the park which all fell by the wayside once they began construction.

What other businesses besides sports force the taxpayers to foot all or most of the bill to build their entire workplace? And once they are fleeced from the cost of the stadium the teams then do it again by making most of their money charging those same taxpayers to watch them play!

markp8867
11-01-2007, 01:00 PM
The Met in Bloomington.

Now the site of The Mall of America which is the second most impressive mall I have ever seen.

The one in Edmonton tops it IMHO

I do like Mall of America because there is no tax on clothes. Woodfield Mall actually has more shopping space however. I haven't been to the one in Edmonton but I saw a TV show about people who lived there (they have apartments in the mall too) and it did look enormous.

Fenway
11-01-2007, 01:07 PM
I do like Mall of America because there is no tax on clothes. Woodfield Mall actually has more shopping space however. I haven't been to the one in Edmonton but I saw a TV show about people who lived there (they have apartments in the mall too) and it did look enormous.

http://www.westedmall.com/about/default.asp

West Edmonton Mall is waiting for you! It's the world's largest entertainment and shopping centre and Alberta's number one tourist attraction, featuring over 800 stores and services, over 100 eating establishments, plus nine world class attractions. It's the only mall of its kind - both a shopper's dream and a world of excitement and adventure.
This amazing structure - often called the "8th Wonder of the World" - spans the equivalent of 48 city blocks in the prestigious west end of the City of Edmonton (metro population over 995,000), in the Province of Alberta.

Hitmen77
11-01-2007, 01:10 PM

OMG - are those blue seats?....and no overhanging roof in the upperdeck!

DSpivack
11-01-2007, 01:24 PM
http://www.westedmall.com/about/default.asp

West Edmonton Mall is waiting for you! It's the world's largest entertainment and shopping centre and Alberta's number one tourist attraction, featuring over 800 stores and services, over 100 eating establishments, plus nine world class attractions. It's the only mall of its kind - both a shopper's dream and a world of excitement and adventure.
This amazing structure - often called the "8th Wonder of the World" - spans the equivalent of 48 city blocks in the prestigious west end of the City of Edmonton (metro population over 995,000), in the Province of Alberta.

I was there a number of years ago (ten?), it is pretty cool. The waterpark/fake beach is huge. But it's about to be dwarfed by the Dubai Mall.

TCentral
11-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I think it looks pretty sweet.

The downtown Minneapolis skyline is actually a very nice looking skyline. Of course not on the level of Chicago's but they did a great job of facing the outfield toward a nice setting. Props.

Years from now the new retractable roof stadiums are the ones that will be outdated. This design IMO is pretty timeless.

Brian26
11-01-2007, 07:30 PM
God help the people still trying to work 56k modems. These photos should finish loading sometime around Thanksgiving.
:thumbsup:

I was never at a game at the old park but did see it before it was torn down. Tiger Stadium never got this bad

http://images.bleedcubbieblue.com/images/admin/twins01.jpg (http://images.bleedcubbieblue.com/images/admin/twins01.jpg)
http://images.bleedcubbieblue.com/images/admin/twins03.jpg (http://images.bleedcubbieblue.com/images/admin/twins03.jpg)

Hitmen77
11-01-2007, 11:14 PM

I'm trying to figure out this picture. Did the Met have a scoreboard that was just about at field level?

MisterB
11-01-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm trying to figure out this picture. Did the Met have a scoreboard that was just about at field level?

Yes, it did. That shot was taken from what would have been the LF corner looking toward right-center. This should give a better idea:

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/past/minvik.jpg

kba
11-02-2007, 09:06 AM

Here's (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5540&d=1194012327) a nice shot of the old board. The section where they flashed messages was called the "Twins-o-gram." Wonder where they got that idea?

Fenway
11-02-2007, 09:13 AM
I was there a number of years ago (ten?), it is pretty cool. The waterpark/fake beach is huge. But it's about to be dwarfed by the Dubai Mall.

I can't see myself in Dubai anytime soon :tongue:

When I was last in Edmonton it was February and about -30. The mall proved very useful.

Huisj
11-02-2007, 11:29 AM
I think it's going to look sort of funny to have a Twins stadium have green seats if those newest renderings are correct. I know lots of people like greens seats, but when your main team color is dark blue, it seems like the green seats will look kind of funny if the logos around the park all have dark blue. I thought the old renderings with dark blue seats looked better.

DSpivack
11-02-2007, 11:45 AM
I can't see myself in Dubai anytime soon :tongue:

When I was last in Edmonton it was February and about -30. The mall proved very useful.

I was there in July. I believe the sun set around 10:30. I liked Edmonton; surprisingly cosmopolitan city. That and it's a short drive to Banff/Jasper.

Hitmen77
11-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Are the Vikings happy in the Metrodome? Or are they looking for a new stadium too?

Nellie_Fox
11-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Are the Vikings happy in the Metrodome? Or are they looking for a new stadium too?They're trying desperately to get a new stadium. Chances were not good to being with, and now with the emergency I-35W bridge rebuilding, there's almost no support for public money for another sports stadium.

Frater Perdurabo
11-05-2007, 06:15 AM
They're trying desperately to get a new stadium. Chances were not good to being with, and now with the emergency I-35W bridge rebuilding, there's almost no support for public money for another sports stadium.

Does that increase the possibility that the Vikings might relocate?

wdelaney72
11-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Are the Vikings happy in the Metrodome? Or are they looking for a new stadium too?

Absolutely not... they've been crying poor for years, as the Metrodome has a very limited number of skyboxes.

The NFL splits the revenue from regular seating 60/40 between home and visiting team. Skyboxes go 100% to home team... this is why over the last 10 years, you've seen such a push for newer stadiums. Many of these have fewer total seats than they're older counterparts (Soldier Field) but have 3 times as many skyboxes. This brings in more revenue for the organization.

I would guess MLB operates in a somewhat similar model, where skybox revenue is more lucrative for the home team.

Frater Perdurabo
11-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Absolutely not... they've been crying poor for years, as the Metrodome has a very limited number of skyboxes.

The NFL splits the revenue from regular seating 60/40 between home and visiting team. Skyboxes go 100% to home team... this is why over the last 10 years, you've seen such a push for newer stadiums. Many of these have fewer total seats than they're older counterparts (Soldier Field) but have 3 times as many skyboxes. This brings in more revenue for the organization.

I would guess MLB operates in a somewhat similar model, where skybox revenue is more lucrative for the home team.

Then why not build a stadium with only skyboxes? :redneck

TwinKess
11-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Well the Vikings are about to get even poorer, as they recieved ALL revenue from the sky boxes in the Metrodome, even from Twins games. That is one revenue stream the Twins are very excited about, as for the last 20 years they might as well have had zero skyboxes.

TwinKess
11-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Oh, and concrete is being poured on the new stadium. They are constructing the framework for the 1st base-line stands and the plaza that will connect with Target Center and the rest of downtown.