PDA

View Full Version : The dominos are falling.

veeter
10-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Per mlb.com Erstad and Myers' options will not be picked up. Uribe's fate still undecided. Kenny's foot is about to step on the accelerator.

kobo
10-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Good news. No way Erstad is worth a $3.5 million option, and Myers was just horrible.

itsnotrequired
10-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Good news. No way Erstad is worth a $3.5 million option, and Myers was just horrible.

Not only did Meyers clown it but he was also due $1.1 million in 2008.

JB98
10-30-2007, 09:06 PM
I agree with these moves. I'm especially delighted that Myers was kicked to the curb. The Yankees released him for a reason. He's done, and his performance with the White Sox confirmed that.

MCHSoxFan
10-30-2007, 09:23 PM
Keep it coming Kenny! :D:

Do you guys think a BIG pick-up is coming...SOON?

Lip Man 1
10-30-2007, 09:28 PM
No.

Nothing happens until free agents file and the G.M. meetings.

Lip

champagne030
10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Per mlb.com Erstad and Myers' options will not be picked up. Uribe's fate still undecided. Kenny's foot is about to step on the accelerator.

:praying: I hope a good trade is in the works and Uribe's fate will be decided soon.....and that would be the curb. I actually wouldn't mind Uribe around as a utility IF (even at his bloated salary), after dumping Cintron, but that would leave Ozzie with a toy he would abuse.....

delben91
10-30-2007, 09:40 PM
:praying: I hope a good trade is in the works and Uribe's fate will be decided soon.....and that would be the curb. I actually wouldn't mind Uribe around as a utility IF (even at his bloated salary), after dumping Cintron, but that would leave Ozzie with a toy he would abuse.....

My question is whether "his Grindiness" will remain in your signature? :wink:

CLR01
10-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Kenny just wasted a bunch of great tags. Oh well....

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/grinder.jpg

Tony gives the finger to the White Sox.

getonbckthr
10-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Erstad being cut =:gulp::supernana::bandance::supernana::bandance:

whitesoxfan
10-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Well this is excellent news!

Coach Ice
10-30-2007, 10:31 PM
I hope Juan Uribe is the next one to go.

chisoxfanatic
10-30-2007, 10:32 PM
I like, I like! Now, let's hope that these vacancies are filled by people who can play, or else this does nothing to better the franchise.

gogosox16
10-30-2007, 10:34 PM
With Erstad now on the way out do you think that could leave an opening for Scott Podsednik for the 4th outfielder?

santo=dorf
10-30-2007, 10:35 PM
3 down, 8 to go. (Although I could live with Garland for another year.)

sox1970
10-30-2007, 10:37 PM
With Erstad now on the way out do you think that could leave an opening for Scott Podsednik for the 4th outfielder?

Absolutely not. Pods will be non-tendered.

FedEx227
10-30-2007, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't get too excited guys.

Who's to say Erstad isn't released and then resigned for less money?

CLR01
10-30-2007, 10:38 PM

Podsednik would be a terrible 4th outfielder at around $3-4 million.

DSpivack
10-30-2007, 10:39 PM

I think if they're releasing him then he's good as gone. Though I guess I could see him as a backup 1B/OF, but I don't see Kenny re-signing him at this point.

Daver
10-30-2007, 10:41 PM

You think he won't have a deal before May 1st?

A released player is the same as a non tender.

A. Cavatica
10-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Erstad gone? :bandance:

Geoff Jenkins is available to play left.

santo=dorf
10-30-2007, 11:01 PM

So how did the Mets re-sign Tom Galvine last year AFTER they declined his $14 million option?
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061119&content_id=1743451&vkey=news_nym&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym
At some point before midnight ET on Monday, the National League East champs must decide whether to pick up the option year on left-hander Tom Glavine's contract, or pay him a $3 million buyout, put the 40-year-old on the market and try to re-sign him for something less than $14 million.

Jerome
10-30-2007, 11:37 PM
i like erstad...if ozzie guillen or dusty baker is not the manager of this team. i think he would be a good 4th OF to have. not for 3.5 million though.

So long Darin Erstad, you will not be missed. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. And leave the door open long enough so that a player with some actual talent can walk in.

kittle42
10-31-2007, 12:48 AM

Great. Another guy who does nothing but homer or K.

ChiSoxFan35
10-31-2007, 12:56 AM
If Hawk was GM he'd decline the option and then sign him for more money

whitesoxfan
10-31-2007, 01:12 AM

Fields in LF, Crede at 3B.

Nellie_Fox
10-31-2007, 01:19 AM
If Hawk was GM he'd decline the option and then sign him for more moneyYeah, Hawk's an idiot and you're a baseball genius.

LITTLE NELL
10-31-2007, 06:10 AM
Sign Hunter, Fields in left, Dye in Right, Owens 4th OF, Crede at 3rd. Sign Eckstien. We need to pick up a good utility IF guy, and some decent bullpen guys.

DumpJerry
10-31-2007, 08:19 AM
TMI about your domestic life.

I would love to see Garland play his entire career with the White Sox. But if living with santo=dorf has a negative effect on his performance, perhaps he needs a bigger contract so he can buy a home of his own.

The Immigrant
10-31-2007, 09:47 AM
http://www.stevensgarnier.co.uk/images/agencies/garnier/Popping%20Champagne%20cork.jpg

santo=dorf
10-31-2007, 10:02 AM

I would love to see Garland play his entire career with the White Sox. But if living with santo=dorf has a negative effect on his performance, perhaps he needs a bigger contract so he can buy a home of his own.
Jon Garland is not signed for life, he only has one year left, so it makes sense to trade him for guys who could possibly will help out the team for years to come. Keep Garland at the beginning of the season wouldn't be the worst thing to happen (like picking up Myers' option) because we can move him at the deadline or get compensation if he leaves for free agency.

Hitmen77
10-31-2007, 10:21 AM

:roflmao:

...cutting these guys loose is the easy part. The hard part comes next as the Sox attempt to fill all the holes in our roster.

spawn
10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
:roflmao:

...cutting these guys loose is the easy part. The hard part comes next as the Sox attempt to fill all the holes in our roster.
Exactly. Kicking Garland to the curb right now would leave us with 2 dependable starting pitchers. I'd rather us try and keep Garland around.

jabrch
10-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Kicking Garland to the curb

I missed the part where anyone discussed that. There is a difference between trading Garland for useful pieces that will help the team and "kicking Garland to the curb".

spawn
10-31-2007, 10:35 AM
I missed the part where anyone discussed that.
You're getting rid of a valuable piece for useful pieces. That's kicking him to the curb IMO.

chisox77
10-31-2007, 11:03 AM
I have a feeling things will get interesting here. We'll have to wait and see what KW does.

jabrch
10-31-2007, 12:59 PM
You're getting rid of a valuable piece for useful pieces. That's kicking him to the curb IMO.

so useful pieces aren't valuable? I don't get it.

There are lots of potential deals we couold make involving Jon that would help us. A SP with a 4.25 - 4.50 ERA is both valuable and useful. So are lots of other things that we could get for him. So are lots of things we could do with 10mm.

It is not kicking him to the curb when you are trading him for pieces that are useful or valuable or whatever bull**** label you use to try and rank/compare him. I like Jon - and I hope he stays for a long time. But there's no way in hell I give him 5/90 as a FA after this year. So if you can trade a useful (valuable) player for other useful (valuable) players and then make other moves, it is worlds smarter than letting him walk after this year for draft picks, or being put in a position where you have to trade him for diminished value at the deadline. If we couldn't get what we wanted for Mark Buehrle last year, we'd get less for Gar in July.

We kicked Erstad to the curb. We kicked Meyers to the curb. Trading a player (certainly before you have any freaking clue what we'd get for him) is not kicking him to the curb. It's inaccurate hyperbole to say otherwise.

Tragg
10-31-2007, 02:15 PM
because we can move him at the deadline or get compensation if he leaves for free agency.
Didn't we hear that last year about other players?
If we want to trade him, look for a good deal in the winter.

santo=dorf
10-31-2007, 05:35 PM
I missed the part where anyone discussed that. There is a difference between trading Garland for useful pieces that will help the team and "kicking Garland to the curb".
Thank you. I guess spawn and hitmen77 thought the Sox kicked Carlos Lee to the curb as well. :rolleyes:

Didn't we hear that last year about other players?
If we want to trade him, look for a good deal in the winter.
Yeah I forgot that. You can never have enough 25 year old A-Ballers.

DrCrawdad
10-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Good-bye to Erstad and Myers. (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2007/10/sox-decline-opt.html) YIPEE on Myers!

munchman33
10-31-2007, 06:15 PM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but rotoworld is making it sound like we declined Myers option to sign him to a minor league deal with the full intention of him being a piece of the pen next year.

itsnotrequired
10-31-2007, 06:18 PM
:rolling:

goon
10-31-2007, 06:21 PM
We kicked Erstad to the curb. We kicked Meyers to the curb. Trading a player (certainly before you have any freaking clue what we'd get for him) is not kicking him to the curb. It's inaccurate hyperbole to say otherwise.

Is that an arrestable offence?

eastchicagosoxfan
10-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Myers is obviously no surprise. There'll be some fans of Erstad, but he just can't stay healthy. One was a stop gap player, but in Erstad the Sox were certainly hoping for another successful rehab project. Time to move on.

ilsox7
10-31-2007, 06:44 PM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but rotoworld is making it sound like we declined Myers option to sign him to a minor league deal with the full intention of him being a piece of the pen next year.

If he signs a minor league deal and looks great in spring training, then there is no problem. If he still looks ****ty, then the Sox lose nothing. No risk.

Dont Stop Belivn
10-31-2007, 06:45 PM
im a little surprised about Erstad, but Myers doesn't surprise me. The question now is who is our 4th outfielder? Do they hang on to Scotty now?

Navarro's Talent
I was no fan of Myers. I won't miss him.

Sargeant79

If they want to sign him to a minor league deal and have him earn his way onto the club, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Let him compete for the spot. Just don't hand him a place in the bullpen and count on him.

hi im skot
10-31-2007, 07:06 PM

Yeah, how horrible would that be?

:rolleyes:

chisox77
10-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Just some needed house cleaning, that's it.

Tragg
10-31-2007, 07:09 PM
If he signs a minor league deal and looks great in spring training, then there is no problem. If he still looks ****ty, then the Sox lose nothing. No risk.
We had him for a month and he had like 1 good outing out of 15 appearances. So why are we even bothering with him?
This clown is getting chance after chance after chance to prove himself. And he's 40 years old and was an arsonist out of the pen.

ilsox7
10-31-2007, 07:18 PM
We had him for a month and he had like 1 good outing out of 15 appearances. So why are we even bothering with him?
This clown is getting chance after chance after chance to prove himself. And he's 40 years old and was an arsonist out of the pen.

Why not bother with him? Good bullpens often have a pitcher or two who catch lighting in a bottle for the year. Look at our bullpen in 2005. The move costs the Sox absolutely nothing. There is no risk with the potential of a nice reward. He's only a year removed from being pretty solid.

LITTLE NELL
10-31-2007, 07:28 PM
im a little surprised about Erstad, but Myers doesn't surprise me. The question now is who is our 4th outfielder? Do they hang on to Scotty now?
I predict we sign Hunter or Rowand. That makes Owens and Ozuna ( maybe Anderson ) our 4th and 5th outfielders. Id like to see Sweeney in the mix also. I think Pods and his injuries will be sent on his way.

Mohoney
10-31-2007, 11:29 PM

After all the time he spent on the DL last year, there might be a chance at that.

HaroMaster87
10-31-2007, 11:33 PM
definitely the correct moves...

myers-we already have two lefties and there aren't many mlb bullpens with 3 lefties(and he's not very good). Erstad-thats WAY too much to pay a guy that may play 50 games a year. He was pretty good early in his career with the Halos but it doesn't appear there is much left in the tank. He's probably best suited as a late inning defensive replacement guy at this point in his career.

If there is anyone who we need to extend, it's Garland. I'm not a big fan but he's reliable, stays healthy and still pretty young. Not exactly easy to find guys like that...

Eckstein-FORGET IT. We dont need anymore mid 30's guys not to mention his back problems.

Hunter-too old unless he wants a 3 year deal though I doubt that...

LITTLE NELL
11-01-2007, 05:50 AM
Id like to re-sign Erstad at a lesser salary. If healthy hes a very good backup at 1B and in the OF.

TheVulture
11-01-2007, 02:03 PM
i like erstad...if ozzie guillen or dusty baker is not the manager of this team.

It's not Ozzie's fault he didn't have anyone better to pencil in the lineup! I'm sure if we had an OF of, say, Rowand, Hunter, and Dye, with Pauly at first, Ozzie would have no trouble keeping Erstad in his proper role. And he'd be a good guy to have on the bench - at the right price, of course.

Foulke You
11-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Bullpen pitchers are up and down. Myers has a track record of success in the past. If you can sign him for a minor league peanuts contract and he proves in Tucson that he still has something left, you got a productive bullpen guy. If he still gets lit up like a Christmas tree, you lose nothing. Lefty pitchers with a deceptive under arm delivery don't grow on trees. Myers "stuff" didn't look bad last year, it was his location that was bad which indicates a possibility that he can be fixed. When Boone Logan is your only other viable lefty in the bullpen you need to explore all available options to you which is what KW might be doing.

santo=dorf
11-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Bullpen pitchers are up and down. Myers has a track record of success in the past. If you can sign him for a minor league peanuts contract and he proves in Tucson that he still has something left, you got a productive bullpen guy. If he still gets lit up like a Christmas tree, you lose nothing. Lefty pitchers with a deceptive under arm delivery don't grow on trees. Myers "stuff" didn't look bad last year, it was his location that was bad which indicates a possibility that he can be fixed. When Boone Logan is your only other viable lefty in the bullpen you need to explore all available options to you which is what KW might be doing.
In 2004, Mike Jackson, another old timer with a history of success, looked decent in ST and had a great April, but would later be so bad in the season he was DFA for Felix Diaz.

Say no to Myers. He's too old. There's a reason why the Yanks released him when he had a 2.65 ERA, and the Sox found out why.

Frontman
11-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Steps in the right direction, that's for sure. No word on Uribe or Pods yet?

Brian26
11-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Steps in the right direction, that's for sure. No word on Uribe or Pods yet?

The Uribe decision will be contingent on what else is out there. They still have some time to work on it.

The Wunsch
11-01-2007, 10:17 PM
good riddance!!!

sign middle infielders
sigh middle relievers