PDA

View Full Version : Sox frontrunner for Torii? Mankato Free Press columnist thinks so.

Nellie_Fox
10-30-2007, 01:06 AM
I've posted links to this guy before. I think he's a really knowledgeable baseball guy. He wrote a prediction column for today's Free Press, and among other things he makes the Sox the frontrunner to sign Hunter. Of course, he also picks Mattingly to be Yankee skipper, so the column was apparently filed before the news made its way to Mankato. Worth a read, I think.
Link (http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sportscolumnists/local_story_302005024.html?keyword=topstory)

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-30-2007, 01:22 AM
good read, thanks Nellie

getonbckthr
10-30-2007, 01:24 AM
If we are gonna pay him 17-18 million and apparently keep Uribe at 5 million I would rather just sign Arod at 30, use Owens at the minimum and decline options on Erstad and Pods, and pay a portion of Conteras salary to move him and insert 1 of Floyd/Egbert/Broadway. Which would you prefer for similar money:
Option 1- Arod, Owens, Sweeney or Anderson (4th OF), Floyd, Egbert or Broadway (5th starter)
OR
Option 2- Hunter, Uribe, Erstad, Pods, Contreras

TDog
10-30-2007, 02:17 AM
The White Sox signed Albert Belle and signed-acquired other Indians who were ahead of them at the end of the last decade -- Alomars, Lofton, Thome. From the Twins that have been in front of the Sox this decade, the Sox already have made Pierzinski an important part of the team. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox front office goes hard after Hunter.

jortafan
10-30-2007, 10:58 AM
From the Twins that have been in front of the Sox this decade, the Sox already have made Pierzinski an important part of the team. It wouldn't surprise me if the Sox front office goes hard after Hunter.

It would make sense if the point is to deal an emotional blow to the Twins franchise and their fans. Just think of how much Hunter will be hated and booed at the Metrodome if the next time he shows up there, he's wearing a White Sox uniform. I think it would top the silliness that Thome faces whenever he appears in Cleveland.

It likely would also feed the notion that the White Sox are some sort of hated franchise that don't deserve to win. Be honest, couldn't you easily see Jay Mariotti writing some sort of column that interprets a Thome/Hunter pairing along that line.

fquaye149
10-30-2007, 11:25 AM
If we are gonna pay him 17-18 million and apparently keep Uribe at 5 million I would rather just sign Arod at 30, use Owens at the minimum and decline options on Erstad and Pods, and pay a portion of Conteras salary to move him and insert 1 of Floyd/Egbert/Broadway. Which would you prefer for similar money:
Option 1- Arod, Owens, Sweeney or Anderson (4th OF), Floyd, Egbert or Broadway (5th starter)
OR
Option 2- Hunter, Uribe, Erstad, Pods, Contreras

I don't see why

a.) you exclude Owens from option 2 in LF

b.) you consider a rookie starter a better option for 08 than Contreras.

Yes A-Rod is better than Hunter and Uribe combined, assuming he can play SS like he used to, but he also costs a whole player more than they do

Sockinchisox
10-30-2007, 11:45 AM
I've posted links to this guy before. I think he's a really knowledgeable baseball guy. He wrote a prediction column for today's Free Press, and among other things he makes the Sox the frontrunner to sign Hunter. Of course, he also picks Mattingly to be Yankee skipper, so the column was apparently filed before the news made its way to Mankato. Worth a read, I think.
Link (http://www.mankatofreepress.com/sportscolumnists/local_story_302005024.html?keyword=topstory)

He also mentions the Cubs as a likely destination when Torii said there is no way he'd play there because of the wall.

kidmccarthy
10-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Hunter is going to get crazy money from Texas. If we are paying 17 mill a season for a centerfielder and his name isnt Ichiro I dont want him. I think a one or two year deal for Andruw Jones to get his value back would make more sense than 5 or 6 years for Hunter. But who knows, Jones could get 18 mill a year from some dumb team as well.

soxinem1
10-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Hunter is more likely to go to TEX, CHC, BOS, or NYY than come here. One of them will overpay him, and all are in the position to do so.

Even though Borass is his agent, I'd still take Andruw Jones over him. He plays every day, has been injury free, and his down year in 2007 was still better than most of what is out there. A year or two of Jones in CF would be fine with me.

Zisk77
10-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Neither the Yanks or Bosox need a Cf as Cabrera and Elsbury look like young studs. Hunter already said he didn't want to play for da sCrub. Hopefully Texas like Andruw Jones better.

Foulke You
10-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Hunter is more likely to go to TEX, CHC, BOS, or NYY than come here. One of them will overpay him, and all are in the position to do so.
Hunter has already said he does not wish to play for the Cubs. He cited the brick wall and outfield basket fence at Wrigley making it difficult for him to rob HRs. Methinks he also has been talking to his buddy Jacque Jones who wasn't exactly treated well by the "world's greatest fans".

getonbckthr
10-31-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't see why

a.) you exclude Owens from option 2 in LF

b.) you consider a rookie starter a better option for 08 than Contreras.

Yes A-Rod is better than Hunter and Uribe combined, assuming he can play SS like he used to, but he also costs a whole player more than they do
A) I believe I assumed Fields in penciled in for LF
B)Yes I will rather go with a rookie than Contreras at this point of his career and production
C) Yes Arod costs more but i'm assuming league minimum Fields and Owens instead of 7 million dollars of Pods and Erstad and 5 million for Uribe.