PDA

View Full Version : Cubs worst ever playoff appearance ever?

Gammons Peter
10-28-2007, 06:27 PM
getting swept by a team that was swept by a team that was swept by a team.

Soxfanspcu11
10-28-2007, 06:30 PM

:nuts:

veeter
10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
The justice of it all, is each series winner (sweeper), was the better team. The progression went true to form. What I'm saying is, the cubs suck.

chisoxmike
10-28-2007, 06:40 PM
:threadsucks

:threadblows:

chaerulez
10-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Possibly the worst Cubs related thread I've read here.

DumpJerry
10-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Possibly the worst Cubs related thread I've read here.
It is a stretch alright. Pretty close. I forgot about the Cubs about two weeks or so ago when they exited the 2007 season.

By the way, just tell Cub fans they won as many playoff games this year as the White Sox. It's simpler than the above calculus.

WizardsofOzzie
10-28-2007, 07:56 PM
http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/8/5/8/f_giveadamnprm_85aa24f.gif

ChiSoxFan35
10-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Heh that's pretty funny

Jerksticks
10-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Nice observation. One of the best posts I've ever read. Triple swept tugboatin pieces of ****.

Dibbs
10-28-2007, 09:43 PM
I actually good a good chuckle out of it! :D: :gulp:

santo=dorf
10-28-2007, 10:22 PM
...and the Cubs swept the Sox.
:whocares:

itsnotrequired
10-28-2007, 10:32 PM
The family trekked out to Brookfield Zoo today for their annual Halloween festivities. Lots of CUB SHEEP fans in attendance, including some that appeared to be going as "cub fans" for Halloween. I was sporting my south side Stars 'n Bars (aka Silver and Black) so I felt it my duty to let them be ridiculed by me. I asked one younger kid what was he dressed up as, a LOSER? heh heh. There was another SOX fan next to me so we high-fived as is my nature. Unfortunately, the kid's dad overheard my comment and was none too pleased. Long story short, it got pretty heated and I killed the guy and the police are still looking for me. Nice zoo though...

ilsox7
10-28-2007, 10:38 PM
The family trekked out to Brookfield Zoo today for their annual Halloween festivities. Lots of CUB SHEEP fans in attendance, including some that appeared to be going as "cub fans" for Halloween. I was sporting my south side Stars 'n Bars (aka Silver and Black) so I felt it my duty to let them be ridiculed by me. I asked one younger kid what was he dressed up as, a LOSER? heh heh. There was another SOX fan next to me so we high-fived as is my nature. Unfortunately, the kid's dad overheard my comment and was none too pleased. Long story short, it got pretty heated and I killed the guy and the police are still looking for me. Nice zoo though...

:rolling:

Make sure you destroy the tinfoil hat before the police can test it for DNA.

DumpJerry
10-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Turn yourself in. One sox fan on the jury and you're a free man with lifetime season tickets to the Sox for free.

DrCrawdad
10-28-2007, 11:26 PM

Don't be surprised though to hear from a few Cubbie fans that IF they had got to the World Series they would have won, or at least made it a better series. Would this be unprecedented? No, Cubbie fans such as Les Grobstein say much the same about '84.

TDog
10-29-2007, 12:38 AM
Don't be surprised though to hear from a few Cubbie fans that IF they had got to the World Series they would have won, or at least made it a better series. Would this be unprecedented? No, Cubbie fans such as Les Grobstein say much the same about '84.

Certainly you would hear about how the ratings would be higher would be higher if the Cubs had played in the World Series.

SOXPHILE
10-29-2007, 09:04 AM

Well, Chris DeLucca pretty much already said the same thing in friday's Sun-Times. He outlined (with a straight face, I assume) - how if Uncle Lou hadn't removed The Fat Jackass in game 1 after 85 pitches, the Cubs just might have won that game, which was 1-1 at the time. (He fails to mention that the Cubs weren't scoring any runs either) Then, of course, that would have caused Ted Lilly to pitch better in game 2, and maybe keep his composure and not throw his mitt down in frustration after the Chris Young 3-run homer. Obviously then, they'd go back to Wrigley up 2-0, or 1-1 at the worst, and "the weight of the world" would not have been on young Rich Hill's shoulders, and he would have pitched better. Then, who knows ? They could have moved on to face the Rockies, where they "might" have been able to cool them off. After all, the Cubs were 5-2 against them during the regular season. And then....and then....and then...........:rolleyes:

spiffie
10-29-2007, 09:38 AM
How are ya Hangar? You've been missed :wink:

Dick Allen
10-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Well, Chris DeLucca pretty much already said the same thing in friday's Sun-Times. He outlined (with a straight face, I assume) - how if Uncle Lou hadn't removed The Fat Jackass in game 1 after 85 pitches, the Cubs just might have won that game, which was 1-1 at the time. (He fails to mention that the Cubs weren't scoring any runs either) Then, of course, that would have caused Ted Lilly to pitch better in game 2, and maybe keep his composure and not throw his mitt down in frustration after the Chris Young 3-run homer. Obviously then, they'd go back to Wrigley up 2-0, or 1-1 at the worst, and "the weight of the world" would not have been on young Rich Hill's shoulders, and he would have pitched better. Then, who knows ? They could have moved on to face the Rockies, where they "might" have been able to cool them off. After all, the Cubs were 5-2 against them during the regular season. And then....and then....and then...........:rolleyes:Boers and Bernstein really ripped on him for this article. He was at the World Series and he had nothing better to write about? "And if my aunt had a sack, she'd be my uncle..."

DumpJerry
10-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Well, Chris DeLucca pretty much already said the same thing in friday's Sun-Times. He outlined (with a straight face, I assume) - how if Uncle Lou hadn't removed The Fat Jackass in game 1 after 85 pitches, the Cubs just might have won that game, which was 1-1 at the time. (He fails to mention that the Cubs weren't scoring any runs either) Then, of course, that would have caused Ted Lilly to pitch better in game 2, and maybe keep his composure and not throw his mitt down in frustration after the Chris Young 3-run homer. Obviously then, they'd go back to Wrigley up 2-0, or 1-1 at the worst, and "the weight of the world" would not have been on young Rich Hill's shoulders, and he would have pitched better. Then, who knows ? They could have moved on to face the Rockies, where they "might" have been able to cool them off. After all, the Cubs were 5-2 against them during the regular season. And then....and then....and then...........:rolleyes:
[quote=Aerosmith]Dream on! Dream on! Dream until your dreams come true![quote]

DrCrawdad
10-29-2007, 03:11 PM

I had not read DeLuca's "what IF" fantasy article (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/621346,CST-SPT-deluca26.article). I just read it now.

Just wait till Grobber gets a chance to ask the Red Sox players if they feared the Cubbies more so than the Rockies...:rolleyes:

Hitmen77
10-29-2007, 03:54 PM
I think the original point here is valid. Seeing how superior the Red Sox were to the Rockies going down to how the D-Backs quickly dispensed of the Cubs does put the north siders' "success" in perspective.

soxlug
10-29-2007, 11:17 PM
In the modern age it is impossible for the Cubs to do worse than they did in the playoffs.

Cubs were swept
The DiamondBacks who swept the Cubs were then swept
Then the Rockies who swept the DBacks were swept yesterday
It is impossible for it to be any worse then this as far as wins and losses are concerned, unless another round is added. But c'mon this isn't the NBA.

:gulp:

chisoxmike
10-29-2007, 11:20 PM
:threadblows:

Domeshot17
Dont we already have another pointless thread on this?

The cubs made the playoffs, we didnt, they had a better year than us, lets get over it and change it next year.

I would rather read 10 threads on Arod another 4 on how we should trade for Carl Crawford since apparently for 2 years TB has been giving him away for free and maybe 7 more on the red sox and patriots and NE than see ANOTHER stupid sweep sweep swept thread.

So who cares if ever this was the words ever cubs ever playoffs ever appearance ever EVER ever

chisoxmike
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94148

The Sox were pretty ****ty in the 2000 ALDS.

Hmmm, we got beat by the Mariners. The Mariners got beat by the Yankees. So what does that make us?

chaerulez
10-29-2007, 11:41 PM
So the Cubs didn't win a single playoff game. They at least had 3 playoff games to play in. If we made the playoffs and the Cubs didn't and got swept, there would be a bunch of posts on this board claiming at least we made it to the playoffs.

This kind of talk is just nonsense.

And yes, our 2000 postseason was bad. The Mariners swept us, end of story. Just because they didn't get swept by the Yankees and the Yankees didn't get swept by the Mets means nothing.

hi im skot
10-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Is this ever the worst ever thread in the history of WSI ever?

Grzegorz
10-30-2007, 04:35 AM
At least the Cubs were in the playoffs...

tebman
10-30-2007, 08:01 AM
The cubs made the playoffs, we didnt, they had a better year than us, lets get over it and change it next year.

:thumbsup:

FedEx227
10-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Any of you guys ever seen the pic of Podsednik in NEW YORK OMGZ SUM1 PUNCHZEZ HIM IN DA FACE!

OH MAN SUMBUDY HAS TO HAVE IT!

OMGZ I FOUND IT!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/lollard/fan-smacks-podsednik.jpg

chisoxmike
10-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Any of you guys ever seen the pic of Podsednik in NEW YORK OMGZ SUM1 PUNCHZEZ HIM IN DA FACE!

OH MAN SUMBUDY HAS TO HAVE IT!

Iz got a funny ass email about the stupid Cubs promotions schedule. LOL! HA. Dumb azz Cubs. I should post it.!

Rocky Soprano
10-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Iz got a funny ass email about the stupid Cubs promotions schedule. LOL! HA. Dumb azz Cubs. I should post it.!

OMG!!! Iz just ran into Kenny Williams into the airport and he was on his cell phone. A trade is coming!!!!

DumpJerry
10-30-2007, 02:04 PM
One thread on this topic is one too many, but it seems some people want to discuss it anyway.

Merged.

Soxfanspcu11
10-31-2007, 01:23 AM
At least the Cubs were in the playoffs...

:tealpolice:

In the WORST Division in Baseball BY FAR. And losing their way in.

That's like being voted, "The Tallest Midget". At least they made the playoffs?? Gimme a Break. Plan the parade.:rolleyes:

IlliniSox4Life
10-31-2007, 01:38 AM
:tealpolice:

In the WORST Division in Baseball BY FAR. And losing their way in.

That's like being voted, "The Tallest Midget". At least they made the playoffs?? Gimme a Break. Plan the parade.:rolleyes:

They were playing baseball in October, and that's the goal (well, ultimately the championship is the goal). We weren't. You can say they sucked and were in a weak division and qualify it however you want, but they were there. And personally, if you start qualifying it and saying things like "but they lost their way in!", that just opens the door to people to criticize 05 and say "they almost had a historic collapse and let the Indians get in! they blew a 15 game lead! there were questionable calls by umpires in the playoffs! how much did they pay the umps to win?!".

They didn't have a great season, but they had a better season than we did. Period.

Soxfanspcu11
10-31-2007, 02:19 AM
They were playing baseball in October, and that's the goal (well, ultimately the championship is the goal). We weren't. You can say they sucked and were in a weak division and qualify it however you want, but they were there. And personally, if you start qualifying it and saying things like "but they lost their way in!", that just opens the door to people to criticize 05 and say "they almost had a historic collapse and let the Indians get in! they blew a 15 game lead! there were questionable calls by umpires in the playoffs! how much did they pay the umps to win?!".

They didn't have a great season, but they had a better season than we did. Period.

Pretty much EVERYONE had a better season than we did. That's not saying much.

The Sox did blow a 15 game lead, but when it came down to crunch time, the Sox won the games that they needed to.

The scrubs didn't make the playoffs as much as Milwaukee coughed it up. The scrubs were openly telling the Brewers to go ahead and win the division. Milwaukee decided that they would rather be golfing come October.

If Milwaukee plays even somewhat decent during the final week, they win the division.

You really can't compare the 2005 White Sox to the 2007 cubs. (Well for NUMEROUS reasons obviously, but being specific in this example).

The 2005 White Sox found themselves in a position during the last week of the season where they were trying to hold on and at the same time, hold off the hottest team in baseball. If the Sox decided to lose the majority of their final week games, well then we wouldn't have a BEAUTIFUL banner out in Left-center field.

At NO point during the 2007 regular season did the scrubs show that they were a playoff team. They did however show everyone that they are an extremely average team, at their very best. They had a lot of trouble competting against other "average" teams, and were blown out of the water by good, and very good teams.

I suppose that in "cubland", just making it to the playoffs is considered an accomplishment. Even if that "accomplishment" is achieved by doing next to nothing to get there. Let's be senseable and realistic here. Yes, "technically" the cubs made the 2007 playoffs. But everything doesn't need to be Black and White. Let's read between the lines. Again, playing in the WORST division in baseball (no debate), losing nearly every game when it counted the most, unable to beat anyone good, have a HORRIBLE starting rotation, bad defense, hit or miss offense, "so-so" bullpen, and on and on and on.

Look, baseball is divided into Divisions. The current format of which forces there to be a "Winner" in each one. No matter how unworthy. That is really unfortunate because a team like the cubs are listed in the same postseason category as everyone else. Where they DEFINETLY do NOT belong. I think that most people can see the difference.

If the scrubs and their fans consider 2007 to be a Positive year, then that really highlights just how horrible that organization really is. If the White Sox had made the 2007 playoffs by winning the Central, and then got swept in the first round, you could not pay me enough to wear a "Chicago White Sox-2007 Central Division Champions" t-shirt.

To put it another way, would anyone here on WSI really be happy and consider it a Positive year if the Sox had done exactly what the scrubs had done in this years playoffs?? I highly doubt it.

Hell, most Sox fans that I know consider 2006 to be a total disapointment, despite the fact that we were the only 90+ win team to not make the playoffs.

I dunno, maybe I am spoiled because of 2005. But in my mind, simply "making the playoffs" is no reason to celebrate. I would even be apprehensive of wearing a shirt that said, "Chicago White Sox-2007 American League Champions" (if that happened) Obviously that would mean that we fell short of our goal. Falling short of the ultimate goal is no reason to celebrate. At least is my belief.

areilly
10-31-2007, 02:33 AM

Spending that morning at the office, with a massive hangover, writing that up and sending it to 8 people was still the most fun I've ever had at work.

:cool:

IlliniSox4Life
10-31-2007, 02:54 AM
Pretty much EVERYONE had a better season than we did. That's not saying much.

All Gzregorz said was that "at least they made the playoffs", which they did. Sure, they might not have gotten there in the most impressive way, but they got there, which is more than we can say.

At NO point during the 2007 regular season did the scrubs show that they were a playoff team. They did however show everyone that they are an extremely average team, at their very best. They had a lot of trouble competting against other "average" teams, and were blown out of the water by good, and very good teams.
Actually, yes they did. The weeks following the Barrett trade and Lou outburst they actually did look like a playoff team. When they went on their run and got back in the division race they looked like a playoff team.

To put it another way, would anyone here on WSI really be happy and consider it a Positive year if the Sox had done exactly what the scrubs had done in this years playoffs?? I highly doubt it.
I would have been a hell of a lot more happy than I was with what we did this year.

I dunno, maybe I am spoiled because of 2005. But in my mind, simply "making the playoffs" is no reason to celebrate. I would even be apprehensive of wearing a shirt that said, "Chicago White Sox-2007 American League Champions" (if that happened) Obviously that would mean that we fell short of our goal. Falling short of the ultimate goal is no reason to celebrate. At least is my belief.
Every player on every team that makes the post season doesn't seem to have a problem celebrating it. While it is nowhere near the accomplishment of actually doing something in the playoffs, it is an accomplishment.

I just don't get why people have to keep putting the Cubs down. Yes, they didn't do well in the playoffs. But they were in the playoffs. That's all Gzregorz said and you had to start qualifying it with all these little statements about how their division wasn't tough, they didn't do anything in the playoffs, whatever. Nobody is saying they had a dream season, but they were playing baseball in October when 24 other teams weren't. Say they were the worst team to make the playoffs in the history of baseball if you want. But that's still better than being the best team to miss the playoffs. There is a line.

TDog
10-31-2007, 11:56 AM
I just don't get why people have to keep putting the Cubs down. Yes, they didn't do well in the playoffs. But they were in the playoffs. That's all Gzregorz said and you had to start qualifying it with all these little statements about how their division wasn't tough, they didn't do anything in the playoffs, whatever. Nobody is saying they had a dream season, but they were playing baseball in October when 24 other teams weren't. Say they were the worst team to make the playoffs in the history of baseball if you want. But that's still better than being the best team to miss the playoffs. There is a line.

Some jealousy and envy is involved in the need to put the Cubs down. In the end, the Cubs didn't advance win any games in the NLDS, but they did what many of their fans projected they would do in March: emerge as champions from a weak division.

The Cubs didn't dominate their division as did the 2000 White Sox before they were swept by a wild card team. The "it's our turn" Cubs fans were in for a nasty shock this year, as were those that believed winning the World Series must be easy if the White Sox can accomplish it. Maybe Sox fans, the 2005 memories not yet faded, would not settle for making the playoffs -- certainly the Cub fandom wasn't satisfied with their 2007 results -- but I have a 2000 picture pennant. The memories of driving home in sheer disappointment after the second ALDS loss to Seattle didn't negate the pride I had in my team winning the AL Central.