PDA

View Full Version : Players file for FA

Sockinchisox
10-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Here's the list: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071029&content_id=2287914&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

chisoxfanatic
10-29-2007, 10:06 PM
I want Eckstein and Hunter out of that bunch the most (assuming KW doesn't open the checkbook for ARod).

johnr1note
10-29-2007, 10:11 PM
I want Eckstein and Hunter out of that bunch the most (assuming KW doesn't open the checkbook for ARod).

You forgot the teal.

DumpJerry
10-29-2007, 10:31 PM
"Now pitching the 8th inning for the White Sox, Mariano Rivera."

9th Inning: Here Comes the Boom!

Sweet music to my ears. The song title: "Score your runs before the 8th against the White Sox"

Edit: Iguchi is not on the list. Did he sign an extension?

thomas35forever
10-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Balsa on that list? Go get him, Kenny!

DumpJerry
10-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Dusty has eyes only for him. And Prior.:rolleyes:

Scottiehaswheels
10-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Edit: Iguchi is not on the list. Did he sign an extension?Probably hasn't filed yet... Sometime this week? Although I thought I had heard a rumor earlier that he wanted to go back to Japan too?

10-29-2007, 11:02 PM

Actually, he looked very good in a relief role for the Cubs last year. You know with their luck he would be an All-Star on the southside.

Roll the dice and see.

He couldn't be any worse than anyone in our 2007 bullpen other than Jenks.

I say go get him Kenny! (without the teal)

WhiteSox5187
10-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Actually, he looked very good in a relief role for the Cubs last year. You know with their luck he would be an All-Star on the southside.

Roll the dice and see.

He couldn't be any worse than anyone in our 2007 bullpen other than Jenks.

I say go get him Kenny! (without the teal)
Again, it all depends on price. I agree he DID look very good out of the bullpen this year and when he's healthy, look out. If he's willing to accept an incentive laden deal, I got no problem with Kenny signing him. I'd love to see Mariano coming out of the Sox pen in the eighth, but he would cost a lot for a set up guy. But could you imagine if the Sox signed those guys and you had a healthy Wood for the seventh, Mariano for the eighth and Bobby for the ninth? Woo-hoo boy!

As for Eckstein, I like him but I'm not so sure if he can play short anymore. He has no arm and his back has been bothering him. He'd be a good second baseman, but the question there is how long do we want to see Richar out there? If Eckstein is hurting could a platoon situation work?

chisoxmike
10-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Sox probably get outbid on everyone and sign Vizquel and Cameron. KW at SoxFest will say, "These guys still got it. They're grinders. They know how to play the game right. They fit the mold of the player we want on our club. We also have young, minor leaguers like a Jerry Owens and a Andy Gonzalez who impressed us last year who can also get the job done off the bench. Trust me. If I'm wrong, we'll go back to the drawing board to compete for another championship. That's our goal every year. Win a World Series."

doublem23
10-29-2007, 11:32 PM
:rowand

Bring him back!

CLR01
10-29-2007, 11:47 PM
:rowand

Bring him back!

The Sox would have the World Series wrapped up by tax day so we could all sit back and celebrate with $.30 cheeseburgers.

munchman33
10-30-2007, 12:49 AM
You forgot the teal.

Those are the two best available players at the two biggest needs we have. What can you possibly have against that. That they'll cost too much? If we don't do it, we're gonna suck again.

AJ Hellraiser
10-30-2007, 12:52 AM

I want no part of either of these guys... especially Eckstein.. if we sign both of them KW is out of a job and the SOX are out of the playoffs for at least the next 5 years...

Frater Perdurabo
10-30-2007, 06:13 AM

Sweet music to my ears. The song title: "Score your runs before the 8th against the White Sox"

Damn straight. Improve the bullpen? Sign the best reliever on the market.

JohnTucker0814
10-30-2007, 07:37 AM
I can't believe the Brewers didn't lock up Francisco Cordero... he is a free agent... do you think the Bronx Bombers are looking at him to replace Mariano? Can the Brewers really compete with competitive offers? They need to lock their guys up before FA begins, I believe!

nysox35
10-30-2007, 08:26 AM

Um, Mo would be the 9th inning man if he came here. That holds true for pretty much anywhere. The best closer ever doesn't take a downgrade when he's still effective, especially not on a 4th place team.

munchman33
10-30-2007, 11:17 AM

I believe he's a special case. He's arbitration eligible, but his contract won't allow his team to offer arbitration. I think he has to wait for those deadlines to pass to file though.

SoxSpeed22
10-30-2007, 11:23 AM
I can't believe the Brewers didn't lock up Francisco Cordero... he is a free agent... do you think the Bronx Bombers are looking at him to replace Mariano? Can the Brewers really compete with competitive offers? They need to lock their guys up before FA begins, I believe!The Brewers cannot win without him because he was their only reliable reliever down the stretch. If Turnbow has to close again, they will not finish .500, even with that offense. It won't surprise me if the Yankees sign Cordero or trade for another closer to replace Rivera. It will be concernicus if Cleveland gets their hands on Rivera. It will also be interesting to see what happens to Todd Jones.

FedEx227
10-30-2007, 11:41 AM
And within 5 posts Sox fans already want David Eckstein and Aaron Rowand.

It's going to be a long offseason. :(::whiner:

spiffie
10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
And within 5 posts Sox fans already want David Eckstein and Aaron Rowand.

It's going to be a long offseason. :(::whiner:
Who would want that when Juan Uribe and Brian Anderson are already here?!

soxinem1
10-30-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't see why Fields at SS is such a bad idea if Crede does come back. A SS with 25HR/25SB potential sounds good to me.

He's quicker than Crede and Ventura ever were, and both of them did not have good defensive credentials when they turned pro or were in the minors. He may not be the prototypical SS, but I think he will make the plays and show more desire than Uribe ever will again.

After all, look at the options. Furcal is way over paid, Tejada is definitely slower defensively, Eckstein is doubtful as an everyday player, especially at SS, and Uribe is, well, Uribe. In other words, what are the feasable options?

Then I'd go for a real CF and LF option like Coco Crisp and/or Rocco Baldelli, both of whom are expendable and may only cost MacDougal or Sisco, or less. Herm Schneider is one of the best in working with injury-plagued players, so Baldelli could thrive here.

I could see Willimas going after a guy like Geoff Jenkins. Another Hermie project.

But other than Eckstein or Furcal, none of these names mentioned will be brought in to bunt or move up runners. Hunter, Rowand, and the rest are offensive players that swing the bats.

So the bottom line is this. I just don't see the 'small ball' thing returning, because it was a myth to begin with. 2005 was a team that just did what it needed to win, with several journeyman type players that had career years.

soltrain21
10-30-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't see why Fields at SS is such a bad idea if Crede does come back. A SS with 25HR/25SB potential sounds good to me.

You can't be serious...

upperdeckusc
10-30-2007, 01:08 PM

I'm sorry, but if I have Bobby Jenks and Mariano Rivera on the same team, Rivera is my closer. Not like it will matter cuz Rivera won't be on the Sox, but still....

MUsoxfan
10-30-2007, 01:36 PM
The Brewers cannot win without him because he was their only reliable reliever down the stretch. If Turnbow has to close again, they will not finish .500, even with that offense. It won't surprise me if the Yankees sign Cordero or trade for another closer to replace Rivera. It will be concernicus if Cleveland gets their hands on Rivera. It will also be interesting to see what happens to Todd Jones.

The Brewers have the money to keep him, but they don't really need to. They seem to have a really decent string of luck bringing closers out of nowhere and having them be successful for a stretch of time. (Kolb, Turnbow to name a couple). I'm sure they can pluck somebody out of somewhere and have them do a decent job

DumpJerry
10-30-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm sorry, but if I have Bobby Jenks and Mariano Rivera on the same team, Rivera is my closer. Not like it will matter cuz Rivera won't be on the Sox, but still....
Rivera's best days as a closer are behind him.

soxinem1
10-30-2007, 05:23 PM
You can't be serious...

http://www.golfpodium.com/IMAGES/speakers/LeslieNielsen_Bio.jpg

I am serious.

Daver
10-30-2007, 05:33 PM

He doesn't play third base all that well, and you want him to handle even more ground balls?

People need to lose the fantasy baseball approach.

DumpJerry
10-30-2007, 05:35 PM

You can't be serious...

I am serious.
Fields in not a Shortstop. Since you're serious, Jerry won't consider you for KW's job after he heeds the call of the 20 or 30 WSIers (out of 8,200+) who constantly call for KW to be fired.

He's serious.:rolleyes:

FedEx227
10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
He doesn't play third base all that well, and you want him to handle even more ground balls?

People need to lose the fantasy baseball approach.

Yeah there is no way you can put Fields at SS. He's decent at 3B, but he doesn't have the speed or range to play everyday SS, it just won't happen.

A. Cavatica
10-30-2007, 10:11 PM
You could field almost an entire team of free agents who are ex-Sox.

C - Alomar, Paul
1B - Franco
2B - Blum, Graffanino, Jimenez
OF - Lofton, Rowand, Sosa, Erstad
SP - Colon, D. Wells, K. Wells
RP - Riske, Vizcaino, Wickman, Myers

Boy, would that be a waste of time.

Thome25
10-30-2007, 10:58 PM

I'd actually like to see Eckstein, Hunter, AND Luis Castillo playing for the Sox next season.

chisoxmike
10-30-2007, 11:00 PM

:bundy