PDA

View Full Version : Tigers trade for Renteria

Oblong
10-29-2007, 04:33 PM
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071029/UPDATE/710290455

2 of the top prospects, Jair Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez. I do not like this move. Jurrjens was lights out in his few starts this year, and did have some shoulder issues, and Hernandez was getting rave reviews.
He's only a A outfielder but the Tigers are lacking in position prospects.

Great move for Atlanta.

Sockinchisox
10-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I think this was a steal for you guys actually, while ya Jurrjens was decent he still only has what 8 starts in his MLB career? I don't know anything about Hernandez, but you guys just got a great defensive shortstop and a 2nd Polanco style type player for a starter with some upside.

These are the moves Kenny should be making.

Fenway
10-29-2007, 04:37 PM
He is not an American League player.......

Oh well Boston is paying most of his salary anyways

DSpivack
10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Nice move by the Braves, Yunel Escobar can start every day now. Have another good player, Brent Lillibridge, almost ready in case Yunel fails.

Oblong
10-29-2007, 04:42 PM
yeah, the more I talk to people the more I think maybe I'm overreacting. I just kept envisioning an outfield with Granderson/Maybin/Hernandez flying around with Maggs at DH.

We'll see. I don't like to play armchair GM. Dombrowski's proven me wrong plenty of times already.

DSpivack
10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
yeah, the more I talk to people the more I think maybe I'm overreacting. I just kept envisioning an outfield with Granderson/Maybin/Hernandez flying around with Maggs at DH.

We'll see. I don't like to play armchair GM. Dombrowski's proven me wrong plenty of times already.

Tigers get a good SS, Braves get a good youngster to start and get some good prospects in return. I don't see why it can't be a good move by both sides.

chisoxmike
10-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Wow. Tigers didn't waste any time did they?

Lip Man 1
10-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Dave Dombrowski has always been one of the better G.M's around. He proved it in Montreal, Florida and now Detroit.

To think Hawk fired him lo those many years ago.

Lip

veeter
10-29-2007, 04:50 PM
I like the move for both teams. As for the Tigers and the central, it all comes down to pitching anyway.

PorkChopExpress
10-29-2007, 04:50 PM
I guess they won't be pursuing AROD to man SS for them.

DSpivack
10-29-2007, 05:01 PM
Dave Dombrowski has always been one of the better G.M's around. He proved it in Montreal, Florida and now Detroit.

Lip

Renteria is now the fifth former Marlin in Detroit, though not all acquired under Dombrowski's watch.

champagne030
10-29-2007, 05:05 PM

Lip

He pays too much for free agents and goes above slot money for prospects who fall because of signability issues.

thedudeabides
10-29-2007, 05:22 PM
He is not an American League player.......

Oh well Boston is paying most of his salary anyways

He had one down year in Boston, which was his only time in the AL. I don't think that automatically means he can't play in the AL. Most of his struggles were defensively, which says to me some of it may have been in his head.

He has had a good career and I would have liked to see him on the Sox. Maybe not for what the Tigers had to give up, but this could be a very good deal for both sides.

soxinem1
10-29-2007, 05:34 PM
I guess they won't be pursuing AROD to man SS for them.

Sure they can, he can play 3B.

Bucky F. Dent
10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
And now the Braves and Tigers steal Boston's spotlight as well.

Can't the beleaguered Sox fans celebrate in peace!?!:whiner:

Hendu
10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Sure they can, he can play 3B.

ARod is "worth" 30 mil only at shortstop. Power-hitting 3rd basemen are much easier to find.

havelj
10-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Two prospects were ranked #3 and #10 in Tigers' system:

http://www.topprospectalert.com/2007detroittigersprospects.htm

soxinem1
10-29-2007, 06:27 PM
ARod is "worth" 30 mil only at shortstop. Power-hitting 3rd basemen are much easier to find.

Unless of couse, you take into consideration that DET loves to overpay Boras clients.

Brian26
10-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Oblong:

Does this officially mean Casey is out the door?

salty99
10-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Oblong:

No surprise if he is. They were already preparing for this.

Oblong
10-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Oblong:

He was told on Saturday of the final weekend in Chicago that he wouldn't be back. They wanted him to know ahead of time and he was thankful for that since he could say good bye to his teammates. It was announced then that Guillen would move to first and they'd get a SS in the off season. At first Guillen was hesitant when the talk first came up late in the season that he'd move and he said his replacement "better be someone good" a gold glover.
. I think they had this deal worked out and Guillen knew aobut it because a few days later he made it sound like he knew who it'd be.

WhiteSox5187
10-29-2007, 07:57 PM

Lip

To be fair, Hawk did that without JR's consent and JR instantly offered Dombrowski his job back...the "trade" for Hawk Harrelson at the cost of Roland Hemond, Tony LaRussa, and David Dombrowski is just one of the most boneheaded moves throughout Sox history and cost the organization for years...

thomas35forever
10-29-2007, 08:00 PM
:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

Guillen's their SS. Would Renteria DH?

DSpivack
10-29-2007, 08:05 PM
:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

Guillen's their SS. Would Renteria DH?

He was told on Saturday of the final weekend in Chicago that he wouldn't be back. They wanted him to know ahead of time and he was thankful for that since he could say good bye to his teammates. It was announced then that Guillen would move to first and they'd get a SS in the off season. At first Guillen was hesitant when the talk first came up late in the season that he'd move and he said his replacement "better be someone good" a gold glover.
. I think they had this deal worked out and Guillen knew aobut it because a few days later he made it sound like he knew who it'd be.

Again, Guillen at 1B, Renteria SS, and Casey at bat a free agent.

DickAllen72
10-29-2007, 08:06 PM
There goes one of my top choices to replace Uribe. Actually he was probably my top realistic choice because A-Rod is my first choice.

The Sox better either trade for Furcal within the next few days or pick up Uribe's option. Maybe they can renegotiate with Uribe and get him to sign for three years at $9M.

I'd hate for the Sox to let Uribe go and then try to fill the hole at SS with absolutely no leverage.

JB98
10-29-2007, 08:08 PM
There goes one of my top choices to replace Uribe. Actually he was probably my top realistic choice because A-Rod is my first choice.

The Sox better either trade for Furcal within the next few days or pick up Uribe's option. Maybe they can renegotiate with Uribe and get him to sign for three years at $9M.

I'd hate for the Sox to let Uribe go and then try to fill the hole at SS with absolutely no leverage.

No way I would give Uribe three years. I'll stomach one more year of him if I have to, if only because there isn't a good alternative on the market.

DickAllen72
10-29-2007, 08:10 PM
No way I would give Uribe three years. I'll stomach one more year of him if I have to, if only because there isn't a good alternative on the market.
At three million a year he is more easily tradeable or would make a good super-sub at that price.

WSox597
10-29-2007, 09:19 PM
I'll stomach one more year of him

A little unintentional humor, perhaps?

:D:

JB98
10-29-2007, 09:37 PM
At three million a year he is more easily tradeable or would make a good super-sub at that price.

Sure, but there is no way I'm giving Uribe a three-year deal. I have a notion he'll play better on a one-year contract.

Jjav829
10-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Damn. I was hoping he would be our shortstop next season.

Chipol
10-29-2007, 10:07 PM
...I have a notion he'll play better on a one-year contract.

On the other hand, you saw how he really applied himself in this, his option year.

JB98
10-29-2007, 11:02 PM
On the other hand, you saw how he really applied himself in this, his option year.

True, but imagine how lazy he might get with the security of a three-year deal. Also, it would be nice if KW would acquire a utility infielder who could at least push Uribe. Last season, there was never any thought of benching Uribe because no one else on the roster could handle SS defensively.

As poor as Uribe was last season, he was still better than Alex Cintron, who was dealing with personal issues as well as injuries all year.

cwsfannick
10-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Oh boy. Wonder if this could be another Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz type of trade. Only time will tell.

Tigers definately know thier window of opportunity is now.

Tragg
10-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Atlanta paid 1 top prospect for him, used him for 2 years, and got 2 prospects in return.
Nice move.
Sure glad we didn't trade Garland for him.

Domeshot17
10-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Oh boy. Wonder if this could be another Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz type of trade. Only time will tell.

Tigers definately know thier window of opportunity is now.

yes and no, the Tigers have a team that could be there for a while with those young guns they have.

Grzegorz
10-30-2007, 05:44 AM
You have to give to get...

There a bit older in a couple of the 'up the middle' positions specifically catcher and second base. But for now this is a positive move on paper.

The Tiger upgrade in two spots with one move: first base and shortstop.

Tragg
10-30-2007, 12:06 PM
The Braves have 2 top SS prospects. I'd like the Sox to take one off of their hands....for one of our top pitching prospects perhaps.

thedudeabides
10-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Damn. I was hoping he would be our shortstop next season.

The score reported the Sox were in talks with Atlanta, but the Braves preferred the Tigers offer. No details on the players involved.

wdelaney72
10-30-2007, 05:15 PM
I was really bummed about this, as I would have loved to seen Renteria here in Chicago. I think this was a good move for both teams.

Grzegorz
10-30-2007, 09:10 PM
The Braves have 2 top SS prospects. I'd like the Sox to take one off of their hands....for one of our top pitching prospects perhaps.

Can that prospect pitch? If not then there is a hole in the rotation to fill. Maybe you intend to rebuild?