PDA

View Full Version : Where Will the Sox' Next Leadoff Man Come From?

SBSoxFan
10-29-2007, 02:50 PM
It seems one of the few things people agree on here is that the top of the order are issues for the Sox. However, opinions vary greatly on what to do about it. For example, some people believe Jerry Owens could be serviceable leading off. Others think he's a fourth outfielder at best. Others have lamented about how there was no one on base for the middle of the order last year. One poster even said it would be no use to get ARod because he'd have no one to drive in. This started me thinking about the leadoff situation.

Is there another 2005 version of Pods out there? I'm tending to think not. So, where will the Sox' next leadoff man come from, in terms of both location and position? Regarding the latter, it seems the Sox' starting lineup for 2008 is set except in CF, SS, and possibly 2B (and LF if Crede doesn't recover and Fields moves back to 3B). Regarding the former, in house, they have only Pods and Owens as options. If Fields sticks in LF, then either of them would have to play CF where their arms are suspect. In addition, Pods health is suspect, and Owens isn't "proven." The outfielders in the top 10 in SB's last year were Juan Pierre, Eric Byrnes, Carl Crawford, Cory Patterson, Ichiro, and Shane Victorino. Of these, only Pierre and Ichiro are experienced leadoff men. Ichiro signed an extension last year with Seattle so let's assume he's out. Ditto for Byrnes. Putting Pierre in CF still leaves you with a weak arm. I don't know if Victorino can leadoff, but the Phils are likely to keep him for CF with Rowand probably gone.

On the other hand, 3 shortstops are on the list: Joes Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, and Jimmy Rollins. It's likely no contending team will part with a starting SS, so would it be possible to pry Ramirez away from Florida? How much young pitching would they want in return?

Finally, Brian Roberts of Baltimore is the only second baseman on the list, and the Sox may be content with Richar.

Assuming the Sox are not content with Uribe or Owens, what other teams have a speedy CF or SS available that could leadoff for the Sox next year? What should the Sox be willing to give up for them?

soltrain21
10-29-2007, 02:58 PM
On the other hand, 3 shortstops are on the list: Joes Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, and Jimmy Rollins. It's likely no contending team will part with a starting SS, so would it be possible to pry Ramirez away from Florida? How much young pitching would they want in return?

I would eat a shoe and let you watch if one of those guys were on the White Sox next year.

dickallen15
10-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Co Co Crisp

oeo
10-29-2007, 03:01 PM
It seems one of the few things people agree on here is that the top of the order are issues for the Sox. However, opinions vary greatly on what to do about it. For example, some people believe Jerry Owens could be serviceable leading off. Others think he's a fourth outfielder at best. Others have lamented about how there was no one on base for the middle of the order last year. One poster even said it would be no use to get ARod because he'd have no one to drive in. This started me thinking about the leadoff situation.

Is there another 2005 version of Pods out there? I'm tending to think not. So, where will the Sox' next leadoff man come from, in terms of both location and position? Regarding the latter, it seems the Sox' starting lineup for 2008 is set except in CF, SS, and possibly 2B (and LF if Crede doesn't recover and Fields moves back to 3B). Regarding the former, in house, they have only Pods and Owens as options. If Fields sticks in LF, then either of them would have to play CF where their arms are suspect. In addition, Pods health is suspect, and Owens isn't "proven." The outfielders in the top 10 in SB's last year were Juan Pierre, Eric Byrnes, Carl Crawford, Cory Patterson, Ichiro, and Shane Victorino. Of these, only Pierre and Ichiro are experienced leadoff men. Ichiro signed an extension last year with Seattle so let's assume he's out. Ditto for Byrnes. Putting Pierre in CF still leaves you with a weak arm. I don't know if Victorino can leadoff, but the Phils are likely to keep him for CF with Rowand probably gone.

Finally, Brian Roberts of Baltimore is the only second baseman on the list, and the Sox may be content with Richar.

Assuming the Sox are not content with Uribe or Owens, what other teams have a speedy CF or SS available that could leadoff for the Sox next year? What should the Sox be willing to give up for them?

Some options, I think: Rafael Furcal, Willy Taveras, Coco Crisp (maybe as a Plan F...he can fight with Owens for the starting job), and Michael Bourn (though not likely, Kenny has shown interest in him, and he usually does not quit).

You're dreaming if you think the Marlins would ever part with Hanley Ramirez. Future MVP, and quite possibly HOF'er...he won't be leading off much longer.

SBSoxFan
10-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Some options, I think: Rafael Furcal, Willy Taveras, Coco Crisp, and Michael Bourn (though not likely, Kenny has shown interest in him, and he usually does not quit).

You're dreaming if you think the Marlins would ever part with Hanley Ramirez. Future MVP, and quite possibly HOF'er...he won't be leading off much longer.

That's why it's in What's the Score. :tongue:

Lorenzo Barcelo
10-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Co Co Crisp

What he said. Maybe we can pawn Anderson for him.

Lip Man 1
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Where will the next Sox lead off hitter come from?

This dimension?, planet Earth?, the womb???

LOL

Lip

gregory18n
10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
with our power, i'de gladly try carl crawford in that role, i also like tavares & crisp (when he was an indian). if not, i really don't mind going with owens (in lf, with crede @ 3rd & hunter in centerfield & fields off the bench).

WSox597
10-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Crisp may be available since the emergence of Ellsbury. He has to be better than what we've trotted out there since last year.

upperdeckusc
10-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Crisp may be available since the emergence of Ellsbury. He has to be better than what we've trotted out there since last year.

i dont know if the difference between crisp and owens is worth about 5 mil more a yr and prospects we'd have to give BOS to get him. it also depends on if we'd be getting the CLE coco or the BOS coco. the CLE coco, and BOS maybe throws in some cash, then go for it. if not, go with owens until something truly superior can be had.

oeo
10-29-2007, 10:55 PM
i dont know if the difference between crisp and owens is worth about 5 mil more a yr and prospects we'd have to give BOS to get him. it also depends on if we'd be getting the CLE coco or the BOS coco. the CLE coco, and BOS maybe throws in some cash, then go for it. if not, go with owens until something truly superior can be had.

If Boston thinks Crisp is worth any one good prospect, they can keep him.

That's why I said he should be about a Plan F; if all else fails, I think you can grab Crisp for pretty cheap.

getonbckthr
10-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Ideally our leadoff hitter would be:
- Furcal in a deal for Contreras of bad contracts
- Crawford in a deal of pitchers from our system that are ready to make the jump
-Wily Tavarez wouldn't be a bad guy here but what would Colorado want for him.
-Ryan Freel the guy plays very solid defense, is cheap and would probably work well as our leadoff hitter. Could we get him from Cincy?
- Jerry Owens. Why are so many people down on this kid? The only way he will get better is with experience. He got better as the season went.

hi im skot
10-30-2007, 01:02 AM
I still like Owens. http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/shrug.gif

Madvora
10-30-2007, 03:10 PM
I absolutely loved the 1-2 punch of Erstad and Eckstein for the Angels in 2002, but let's hope KW doesn't try to replicate that 6 years later.

I like the idea of picking up Eckstein, but I hope Erstad is at most our backup outfielder.

palehozenychicty
10-30-2007, 04:36 PM
I absolutely loved the 1-2 punch of Erstad and Eckstein for the Angels in 2002, but let's hope KW doesn't try to replicate that 6 years later.

I like the idea of picking up Eckstein, but I hope Erstad is at most our backup outfielder.

I have a feeling that Eckstein is going to crumble. He plays hard, but is getting brittle and doesn't have the skill to compensate for those intangibles anymore. He is Kenny's type of player, but I hope we pass on him.

Tragg
10-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Boston traded one prospect for Crisp 2 years ago.
They have excess in CF. If we must have him, wait out the Bosox.

spawn
10-30-2007, 04:45 PM
with our power, i'de gladly try carl crawford in that role, i also like tavares & crisp (when he was an indian). if not, i really don't mind going with owens (in lf, with crede @ 3rd & hunter in centerfield & fields off the bench).
I'm normally not a stickler on grammar, but this is just annoying. Is it too much to ask that you type as if you're communicating on a message board instead of texting? Please???

As far as trying Crawford in the leadoff role...it's a pipe dream. The Rays won't be giving him up.