PDA

View Full Version : Yankees offer job to Girardi (3 years, 6 mil)

It's Time
10-29-2007, 01:01 PM
No surprise here.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7388184

upperdeckusc
10-29-2007, 01:12 PM
i personally thought mattingly would get it. i wonder if he's going to take this as a slap in the face that they went with girardi over him since mattingly was one of the faces of the yanks and girardi just caught there for a few yrs. lord knows all NY needs is more drama. i can see the newspaper headlines now: "Mattingly and Girardi uneasy on the bench." "Postgame argument breaks out between the 2."

oeo
10-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Does ESPN seriously have to have this SportsCenter special? Who cares?

I don't remember them doing this for the Cincinatti Reds when they hired Dusty Baker...why? Because no one except those in Cincy give a ****.

wilburaga
10-29-2007, 01:18 PM
i personally thought mattingly would get it. i wonder if he's going to take this as a slap in the face that they went with girardi over him since mattingly was one of the faces of the yanks and girardi just caught there for a few yrs. lord knows all NY needs is more drama. i can see the newspaper headlines now: "Mattingly and Girardi uneasy on the bench." "Postgame argument breaks out between the 2."

It's back to the links for Donny Golfball.

W

Fenway
10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
He couldn't handle 2 papers in Miami

This is going to be a disaster :smile:

DSpivack
10-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Does ESPN seriously have to have this SportsCenter special? Who cares?

I don't remember them doing this for the Cincinatti Reds when they hired Dusty Baker...why? Because no one except those in Cincy give a ****.

It's 2pm on a monday. What else do they have to put on?

It's Time
10-29-2007, 01:56 PM
The offer seems pretty low as well. Two million per year to manage in a fish bowl and guarantee yourself endless stress?

Not saying two million isn't great money. However, for the Yankee job it seems not worth it.

spiffie
10-29-2007, 02:00 PM
It's back to the links for Donny Golfball.

W
The lack of appreciation for this post makes me sad. If I had four thumbs, they would all be up for the name "Donny Golfball"

eriqjaffe
10-29-2007, 02:08 PM
i personally thought mattingly would get it. i wonder if he's going to take this as a slap in the face that they went with girardi over him since mattingly was one of the faces of the yanks and girardi just caught there for a few yrs. lord knows all NY needs is more drama. i can see the newspaper headlines now: "Mattingly and Girardi uneasy on the bench." "Postgame argument breaks out between the 2."Mattingly might've gotten the job if he'd have just shaved those dang sideburns.

soxinem1
10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
I thought Mattingly would get it but I'm not suprised.

I think George has a thing for Italian managers.

Martin (x10), Yogi, Torre, now Girardi. I think Lou is part Italian too, though I know he is also Hispanic.

I really thought Pena was the best candidate.

Either way, if he couldn't keep his mouth closed to the small papers and put up with a meddling owner in Miami, what makes them think it will be different in the Big Apple?

Lip Man 1
10-29-2007, 05:28 PM
ESPN radio is now saying Mattingly will not be on Girardi's staff and is probably out the door.

Lip

soxinem1
10-29-2007, 05:33 PM
ESPN radio is now saying Mattingly will not be on Girardi's staff and is probably out the door.

Lip

I think he fully expected to be the one. It always sounded like DM was to be the sucessor to Torre, according to NY papers.

Still, what did he expect? At least Pena and Girardi have solid MLB managing experience.

soxfanreggie
10-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Figured he would get about $3.5 mil a year at least.

DumpJerry
10-29-2007, 05:55 PM
They are still working on the numbers.

Brian26
10-29-2007, 06:14 PM
I thought I read that Mattingly actually went to the Steinbrenners and told them he felt he wasn't ready yet.

Viva Medias B's
10-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Girardi couldn't get along with Jeffrey Loria; how will he get along with George?

DSpivack
10-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Girardi couldn't get along with Jeffrey Loria; how will he get along with George?

Getting along with George might be less important than getting along with Hank.

Noneck
10-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Salary seems kinda low. Does anyone know what Oswaldo is making?

doublem23
10-29-2007, 08:04 PM
ESPN had a special "Joe Girardi" edition at 1 PM this afternoon.

Ruined my lunch break.

Here's to hopefully a new era of Yankee futility. :gulp:

chaerulez
10-29-2007, 11:19 PM
He couldn't handle 2 papers in Miami

This is going to be a disaster :smile:

Not to mention he had a very young team in Florida. While the Yankees will have some young players they will still have a lot of high priced veterans. Is Girardi going to treat Bobby Abreu or Matsui the way he talked to Scott Olsen or Dan Uggla?

ode to veeck
10-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Girardi agrees to 3 year contract as new YankMEs skipper http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071030/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_yankees_manager;_ylt=Auiu7BrbggX31kymfbKHMR8LM xIF

thomas35forever
10-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Good for Joe. He deserves to be in the dugout, even if it is the Evil Empire.

palehozenychicty
10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Torre is going to be in LA, and Mattingly will join him according to NYC sources today.

upperdeckusc
10-30-2007, 01:03 PM
mattingly isnt going to be back as coach? talk about calling it.....