PDA

View Full Version : What teams could realistically afford A-Rod?

IlliniSox4Life
10-29-2007, 01:03 AM
With A-Rod opting out of his contract, it just got me thinking where he will land. Usually I don't speculate all that much, but he is arguably the greatest player in any sport to ever hit the free agent market at this point in his career. Considering his longest tenure at a team to date was Seattle at 7 years (although it was only 5 quality years), the team that gets him in this contract might also be buying a hat in Cooperstown.

What are the teams that could be in the bidding for ARod?
-Obviously the Yankees, but they have said they won't offer him another contract since he opted out of his.
-Red Sox
-Mets
-Cubs
-Angels
-Dodgers
-Giants?
-White Sox?
-Texas?

So who has the best chance of landing him? Personally my guess is the Dodgers or the Angels. I don't know if he wants to deal with everything that will come with hopping to the Mets or Boston after playing for the Yanks. Not to mention the Red Sox have done plenty well WITHOUT him. With the Cubs ownership issues and all the money they spent last off season, I can't see them locking up that much more money. Although if they happen to sell soon to a guy like Cuban who is willing to spend, you never know. I don't know much about the Angelsw or the Dodgers financial status, but they are in a large market and could probably afford it. Not to mention that they have a huge latin population out there that they could attract even better with a guy like A-Rod. Other than that, I could see the Giants trying to make a splash with Barry leaving (although would ARod want to step into being "the new Bonds"?). The Sox could probably afford him, and Kenny and Jerry seem to always have admired ARod, but are they willing to give up the money? I can't imagine Texas re-signing him, but then again, with ARod opting out of the Yanks contract, that is saving Texas 27 million.

So, who else is in the running? Who do you see as the favorite? What am I wrong about (probably plenty)?

MUsoxfan
10-29-2007, 01:18 AM
Don't rule out a team like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and Florida. Those are teams with plenty of money in reserve and can really use a guy like A-Rod to kickstart their franchise

QCIASOXFAN
10-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Don't rule out a team like Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and Florida. Those are teams with plenty of money in reserve and can really use a guy like A-Rod to kickstart their franchise
Kansas City is also a strong possibility.

DSpivack
10-29-2007, 09:44 AM

I'm thinking he'll probably go to Man U or Real Madrid.

rainbow6
10-29-2007, 10:16 AM
I've always taken the stance that spending that much money on a position player is absurd and can only hurt the franchise by limiting it's available resources..

I've since changed my mind and I'm now longing for the White Sox to be a player in the Arod sweepstakes. He alone would ensure that the recent boost in attendance would be maintained for years to come.

I also would have confidance that Kenny W. would be able to creatively construct a contending team around him w/out having to boost the payroll to Red Sox/Yankee levels.

If the starting rotation (in the next few years) features low salaries (yet hopefully high performance) from the likes of Gio, Danks, Broadway, Masett, etc. the economic aspect of your shortstop making 30 mil. becomes less harrowing.

A pipe dream, I know, but it's fun to speculate.

Domeshot17
10-29-2007, 10:17 AM
The Astros have money

D. TODD
10-29-2007, 10:42 AM
I think it will be either the Angels or, regardless of what young Steinbrenner says, the Yankees again for A-rod's next home.

CashMan
10-29-2007, 11:30 AM
What excites you about ARod? Is it the 50hr 150RBI in the regular season? Or, his great play in the post season? Or, is it him just going to the highest bidder no matter what?

soltrain21
10-29-2007, 12:21 PM
What excites you about ARod? Is it the 50hr 150RBI in the regular season? Or, his great play in the post season? Or, is it him just going to the highest bidder no matter what?

The fact that he will probably go down as the greatest player ever when it's all said and done.

Tragg
10-29-2007, 12:29 PM
His postseason numbers still sag well below his in season numbers. And there are sufficient ABs to suggest it's more than coincidence. Certainly he faces better pitching in the post season than in the regular season. But great players play great in the post season.
His post season numbers are still good, but nothing great.

I'd rather see the Sox have two $15 mill players than one $30 mill A Rod.

Dick Allen
10-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Forget about the White Sox. Just remember who his slimy agent is.

WhiteSox5187
10-29-2007, 12:38 PM
The Yankees have said they won't go after him, I don't think the Red Sox are going to be looking to add an additional thirty million to their payroll right after winning the World Series. The Mets could (and probably will) use that thirty million to fix their god awful pitching, seeing as how that was the reason they missed the playoffs...The Cubs could, they have a good little shortstop now in Theroit and are committed at third, but there is also the question of whether or not A-Rod can still play short. It seems to me he's put on a lot of pounds since going over the Yankees (but maybe it's just me). Plus the Cubs' ownership question makes that move less likely. Angels are certainly a possibility, although I don't think they (or anyone else for that matter) is going to dish out thirty million dollars for him. The Dodgers certainly could...I think the Giants want to go young and just had the Barry Zito experiement blow up in their face...The White Sox COULD spend that money but I don't think either KW or JR would want to deal with A-Rod and again, this begs the question how reliably can he play short? We're OK at third...A team that I wouldn't rule out is the Cardinals. Their new GM will be looking to make a name for himself, and getting A-Rod would be a big first move certainly...plus Rolen is up there and hurting.

Zisk77
10-29-2007, 12:53 PM
The Cards will not spend that kind of money. They are always looking for bargains.

Red Sox
White Sox
Dodgers
Angels
Giants (maybe) but with Zito?
sCrubs
Baltimore
Mets

will be the players.

Domeshot17
10-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Forget about the White Sox. Just remember who his slimy agent is.

I have to ask, what makes his agent Slimy? I mean, I am not really a Boras fan, but isn't he the ideal agent? His job isn't to make negotiations easy on GMs and teams. His job is to represent the player. That job means getting his players the most money, the longest deals, the best teams, the best endorsements. I mean If he was BLEEDING TEAMS DRY I would be like he is so bad for baseball. But lets not pretend like Jerry (and every other owner) isnt making way more then they lead on. Boras has to be the ideal Agent if you are a player. Im not saying I agree with everything he does, but he has no obligation to the fans or the teams like JR and Kenny and other Owners and GMs do. His only commitment is to the players, and he does a good job.

kjhanson
10-29-2007, 01:19 PM
His postseason numbers still sag well below his in season numbers. And there are sufficient ABs to suggest it's more than coincidence. Certainly he faces better pitching in the post season than in the regular season. But great players play great in the post season.

Here's a quick breakdown:
DS: .258/.330/.409
LCS: .315/.413/.611

His numbers in the LCS are substantially better than in the Division Series. And they are actually favorable to his career statistics. None-the-less, his teams are 0-3 in the LCS. This would suggest that maybe he settles down after getting out of the first round? It would still be more encouraging to see him step up and take over a division series (like he did in 2004) and lead his team through the playoffs.

Dick Allen
10-29-2007, 01:22 PM
I have to ask, what makes his agent Slimy? I mean, I am not really a Boras fan, but isn't he the ideal agent? His job isn't to make negotiations easy on GMs and teams. His job is to represent the player. That job means getting his players the most money, the longest deals, the best teams, the best endorsements. I mean If he was BLEEDING TEAMS DRY I would be like he is so bad for baseball. But lets not pretend like Jerry (and every other owner) isnt making way more then they lead on. Boras has to be the ideal Agent if you are a player. Im not saying I agree with everything he does, but he has no obligation to the fans or the teams like JR and Kenny and other Owners and GMs do. His only commitment is to the players, and he does a good job.Just my opinion, and the opinion of many others. That's all I'm going to say, I'm not going to get drawn into a debate on his ethics, or lack thereof.

champagne030
10-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Detroit has the need and the money.

Domeshot17
10-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Just my opinion, and the opinion of many others. That's all I'm going to say, I'm not going to get drawn into a debate on his ethics, or lack thereof.

Fair enough. I want restate something. I don't totally AGREE with everything he does. And I do think he plays teams against each other A LOT (and if he IS guilty of tampering, getting players P.E.D. etc. I do not support that). What I do feel is sometimes we feel like he is in the enemy because he prices guys out of our market, and often times hes doing what he has to do for his clients.

Hokiesox
10-29-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm thinking he'll probably go to Man U or Real Madrid.

If he can play Center defensive Midfield, I REALLY hope Juventus signs him. They've got the cash.

DSpivack
10-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Detroit has the need and the money.

Do they really have the money? They have enough revenue to pay a guy $30 mil a year, to have a $120+ mil payroll?

DSpivack
10-29-2007, 01:46 PM
If he can play Center defensive Midfield, I REALLY hope Juventus signs him. They've got the cash.

They definitely could afford him, don't see why not. Does Becks jump ship and play 3rd for the Yanks? Or perhaps Ronaldo?

dickallen15
10-29-2007, 02:02 PM
The Marlins should go after him. They have a low payroll and could gain the most of any team by signing him. Their attendance could rise at a greater percentage of anyone. They could get a new park built. ARod is from Miami....

Thome25
10-29-2007, 02:04 PM
-Red Sox
-Mets
-Cubs
-Angels
-Dodgers
-Giants?
-White Sox?
-Texas?

On your original list I'd have to say the Wrong Sawx, Mets, Angels, Dodgers, and Giants are the only realistic destinations for PayRod.

But, even the Angels owner Arte Moreno is smart enough to know not to tie up 30% of your payroll on one player. He's been a little gun-shy when it comes to PayRod. After all, this isn't the NBA.

The Cubs have too much $$ tied into Ramirez, DLee, and Soriano. And with the ownership situation up in the air, they might have to cut payroll and/or the new ownership might cut payroll down a little once they take over. (we've seen this before with other teams.)

Texas is just glad to get out from under the money they owe NY for the remainder of PayRod's old deal.

And I HOPE (DEAR GOD IF YOU'RE LISTENING) that KW and JR have enough brains NOT to give PayRod that kind of money. I personally don't want to see us tie that much payroll up on one player.

Another dark horse in the PayRod sweepstakes might be the Tigers. They have a history with Bora$$ clients.

spiffie
10-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Here's a quick breakdown:
DS: .258/.330/.409
LCS: .315/.413/.611

His numbers in the LCS are substantially better than in the Division Series. And they are actually favorable to his career statistics. None-the-less, his teams are 0-3 in the LCS. This would suggest that maybe he settles down after getting out of the first round? It would still be more encouraging to see him step up and take over a division series (like he did in 2004) and lead his team through the playoffs.
Why does A-Rod lose in the playoffs? The postseason ERA's of his teams:
2007 ALDS - 5.89
2006 ALDS - 5.56
2005 ALDS - 4.40
2004 ALCS - 5.17
2000 ALCS - 5.37

Not going to win a whole lot of postseason series with those sorts of numbers. For comparion sake, the 2005 White Sox postseason ERAs were:
ALDS - 3.00
ALCS - 2.20
World - 2.63

nysox35
10-29-2007, 02:37 PM
On your original list I'd have to say the Wrong Sawx, Mets, Angels, Dodgers, and Giants are the only realistic destinations for PayRod.

But, even the Angels owner Arte Moreno is smart enough to know not to tie up 30% of your payroll on one player. He's been a little gun-shy when it comes to PayRod. After all, this isn't the NBA.

The Cubs have too much $$ tied into Ramirez, DLee, and Soriano. And with the ownership situation up in the air, they might have to cut payroll and/or the new ownership might cut payroll down a little once they take over. (we've seen this before with other teams.)

Texas is just glad to get out from under the money they owe NY for the remainder of PayRod's old deal.

And I HOPE (DEAR GOD IF YOU'RE LISTENING) that KW and JR have enough brains NOT to give PayRod that kind of money. I personally don't want to see us tie that much payroll up on one player.

Another dark horse in the PayRod sweepstakes might be the Tigers. They have a history with Bora$$ clients.

Could you say "PayRod" a couple more times? I was confused who was the focal point of your posting...

Lip Man 1
10-29-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm guessing the Angels with a new G.M. will be the ones.

Lip

russ99
10-29-2007, 03:15 PM
The Astros have money

Yeah, but they rarely spend it, except for difference-maker starters like Clemens or Pettitte. Jeff Kent was the last big name hitter they got on the FA market.

I see the Astros reloading this offseason and going after a decent #2 starter (not that there are any of those in FA this year) and maybe being a player in in the Torii/Aaron/Andruw FA sweepstakes, so they can move Pence to RF. Mike Cameron would be a good pickup for them, and hopefully they can hold onto Mark Loretta for another year.

They're rebuilding/reloading with Oswalt, Berkman and El Caballo under hefty contracts, so I doubt they'd be interested in adding another, especially one as hefty as what A-Rod might get.

Plus, they have the same disdain in dealing with Boras that the White Sox do after that Beltran debacle.

MUsoxfan
10-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Jeff Kent was the last big name hitter they got on the FA market.

Ahem...

$100m to this guy

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_150324.jpg

Hokiesox
10-29-2007, 04:53 PM
They definitely could afford him, don't see why not. Does Becks jump ship and play 3rd for the Yanks? Or perhaps Ronaldo?

Man U fans would be happy to see Ronaldo go.

AZChiSoxFan
10-29-2007, 05:29 PM

I'm not an A-rod fan at all, but I really think this whole "he sucks in the postseason" line is way overblown. Ted Williams hit .200 with no homers and 1 RBI in the one WS (7 games) he played in. Barry Bonds generally sucked in postseason play until he totally went off in the 2002 WS, hitting .471. In 16 career postseason games, Frank Thomas hit .224. Do you wish he had never played for the Sox? There are lots of good reasons for not wanting the Sox to sign A-rod, but poor performance in the postseason isn't one of them.

AZChiSoxFan
10-29-2007, 05:30 PM

Yes, in fact, I think they are the favorites to land him.

soxfanreggie
10-29-2007, 05:31 PM
I was talking about this last night, my list was the BoSox, Cubs, White Sox, Angels, and Mets. We came down to the Mets and Cubs because we determined Moreno would stick to his word, JR wouldn't make that commitment (and I don't think I'd want him to with what he could get for that money), and we weren't sure about the BoSox. I said that the Cubs wouldn't at this time because they would have around $65 mil tied in in Zambrano, Soriano, and him. They would pretty much be handcuffed from improving any other position. We also didn't think he would stick in NY to deal with the media, so our final solution was that he went to the Red Sox giving them the best 3-4-5 hitting line-up in baseball.

That being said, I hope nobody ends up offering more than $25 mil.

AZChiSoxFan
10-29-2007, 05:32 PM
I have to ask, what makes his agent Slimy? I mean, I am not really a Boras fan, but isn't he the ideal agent? His job isn't to make negotiations easy on GMs and teams. His job is to represent the player. That job means getting his players the most money, the longest deals, the best teams, the best endorsements. I mean If he was BLEEDING TEAMS DRY I would be like he is so bad for baseball. But lets not pretend like Jerry (and every other owner) isnt making way more then they lead on. Boras has to be the ideal Agent if you are a player. Im not saying I agree with everything he does, but he has no obligation to the fans or the teams like JR and Kenny and other Owners and GMs do. His only commitment is to the players, and he does a good job.

Whether he is or isn't slimy, the point is that JR thinks he is.

MISoxfan
10-29-2007, 05:38 PM

I don't think an .844 OPS over 150 at bats opposed to a .967 OPS over his career is enough to suggest anything.

He has a .808 OPS playing against us with 445 AB.
.880 against the Brewers with 110 AB.
.863 against the Devil Rays with 590 AB.

Surely these numbers aren't suggesting anything about his future chances to perform against us.

AZChiSoxFan
10-29-2007, 05:39 PM

I agree. A lot of people are saying the Angels but I see the Angels as a true "team" who don't want to mess with chemistry. Also, Scoscia is a no-nonsense guy and I don't think he would put up with Pay-Rod's antics and me first attitude. Like you said, I also think that Moreno is too smart to make what I believe is a stupid business decision.

I think the Dodgers might really make a move on Pay-rod. Moreno has just about completed his plan to turn the So. Cal market from Dodgers fans to Angels fans and this might be the Dodgers last chance to keep his plan from coming into fruition. I am also curious as to the fact that reports have just come out about the Dodgers potentially hiring Torre. Is a double switch with Torre and Pay-Rod going from NY to LA in the works?

SOXfnNlansing
10-29-2007, 05:44 PM
:tealpolice:Yes, in fact, I think they are the favorites to land him.

IlliniSox4Life
10-29-2007, 06:17 PM
I agree. A lot of people are saying the Angels but I see the Angels as a true "team" who don't want to mess with chemistry. Also, Scoscia is a no-nonsense guy and I don't think he would put up with Pay-Rod's antics and me first attitude. Like you said, I also think that Moreno is too smart to make what I believe is a stupid business decision.

I think the Dodgers might really make a move on Pay-rod. Moreno has just about completed his plan to turn the So. Cal market from Dodgers fans to Angels fans and this might be the Dodgers last chance to keep his plan from coming into fruition. I am also curious as to the fact that reports have just come out about the Dodgers potentially hiring Torre. Is a double switch with Torre and Pay-Rod going from NY to LA in the works?

Other than trying to get the biggest contract possible (which a majority of players do. ARod just happens to be in the unique position of being possibly the best player in the history of the sport), what are ARod's "antics"? He always has seemed to have a pretty decent attitude to me. He wasn't a clubhouse leader in New York, but that's because he went into a place with so many stars already. He pretty graciously changed positions and didn't cause a lot of argument in an awkward situation because he wanted to win. I don't remember what he was like in the clubhouse in Texas or Seattle, but he couldn't have been as bad as you make it sound. He seems to suffer a bit from the treatment that Frank suffered from where he isn't the most outgoing and friendly guy like a Jim Thome, but he's really not a jerk and when you look at the way he plays the game, he might just be getting treated unfairly.

Lip Man 1
10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
Rodriguez is a pro. He plays hard every game and works at his craft. I'd LOVE to have him on the Sox but realistically that's a very, very, VERY long shot.

Lip

cws05champ
10-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Uhh...yeah. The Sox should sign A-Rod, and then trade MacDougal and a prospect for Johan Santana. Maybe they can also get that Papelbon kid...he looks pretty good.
- Sportsradio call in guy

chaerulez
10-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Other than trying to get the biggest contract possible (which a majority of players do. ARod just happens to be in the unique position of being possibly the best player in the history of the sport), what are ARod's "antics"? He always has seemed to have a pretty decent attitude to me. He wasn't a clubhouse leader in New York, but that's because he went into a place with so many stars already. He pretty graciously changed positions and didn't cause a lot of argument in an awkward situation because he wanted to win. I don't remember what he was like in the clubhouse in Texas or Seattle, but he couldn't have been as bad as you make it sound. He seems to suffer a bit from the treatment that Frank suffered from where he isn't the most outgoing and friendly guy like a Jim Thome, but he's really not a jerk and when you look at the way he plays the game, he might just be getting treated unfairly.

I agree A-Rod's demeanor seems a lot like Frank's. Is he the most likable guy? No. But he is a good player and wants to win.

WhiteSox5187
10-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Uhh...yeah. The Sox should sign A-Rod, and then trade MacDougal and a prospect for Johan Santana. Maybe they can also get that Papelbon kid...he looks pretty good.
- Sportsradio call in guy
My God, why hasn't anyone else thought of this??? That kid is a genius!!!!!