PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rodriguez Opts Out!

jabrch
10-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Discuss...

DumpJerry
10-28-2007, 10:52 PM
:praying:
Jim Hendry call Scott Borass

For all of his glorious skills, ARod has not won a World Series, but he is a great Mr. April.

cbotnyse
10-28-2007, 10:54 PM
I'll take him.

DumpJerry
10-28-2007, 10:57 PM
I'll take him.
.........and say goodbye to any more big contracts for other players for 5 years because all the dough is tied up at Short.

Remember how we put together the '05 team? we got rid of large salaries (Magglio, C. Lee) for several smaller salaries which plugged holes the large salaries did not address.

CanBuehrleWait
I'll take him.

I'll pass. If this was the NBA maybe Then he could be so dominant where one superstar can make that much of a difference and make all his team mates around him better. But at more then a quarter of our current payroll and this being the MLB :o:

gregoriop
I'll take him.

I'm with this guy.

DickAllen72
10-28-2007, 11:03 PM
.........and say goodbye to any more big contracts for other players for 5 years because all the dough is tied up at Short.

Remember how we put together the '05 team? we got rid of large salaries (Magglio, C. Lee) for several smaller salaries which plugged holes the large salaries did not address.
That was then and this is now. The Sox are coming off of two big seasons at the gate. They have more money to spend now than in 2005.

Also they will likely have three players in the starting lineup making the minimum salary--Owens , Fields and Richar. This allows them to afford A-Rod and A-rod's bat allows the Sox to afford three youngsters in the starting lineup.

When A-Rod is breaking all time records, $30M will be a reasonable salary.

QCIASOXFAN
10-28-2007, 11:03 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. I would like to have him on the Sox but not for the King's randsome that they want.

cbotnyse
10-28-2007, 11:04 PM

Remember how we put together the '05 team? we got rid of large salaries (Magglio, C. Lee) for several smaller salaries which plugged holes the large salaries did not address.I'll still take him.

StillMissOzzie
10-28-2007, 11:10 PM
So much for the talk of the 5 year, $150M extension, unless this is more of Bora$' slimy negotiating tactics. How many clubs out there are gonna be willing to top what he's getting already, let alone the astronomical figures Bora$ wants? The Angels, Mets, Red Sox, and maybe the Cubs?

SMO
:?:

DumpJerry
10-28-2007, 11:22 PM
That was then and this is now. The Sox are coming off of two big seasons at the gate. They have more money to spend now than in 2005.

Also they will likely have three players in the starting lineup making the minimum salary--Owens , Fields and Richar. This allows them to afford A-Rod and A-rod's bat allows the Sox to afford three youngsters in the starting lineup.

With ARod on the payroll, the Sox would have to have a $150,000,000+ payroll to remain competative in the American League. If the Sox were a NL team, they would only need ARod's salary + 10% to get in the playoffs.

DickAllen72
10-28-2007, 11:29 PM
With ARod on the payroll, the Sox would have to have a $150,000,000+ payroll to remain competative in the American League. If the Sox were a NL team, they would only need ARod's salary + 10% to get in the playoffs.
$115M - $130M yearly payroll should be enough and is reasonable for a top tier major-market team in these crazy times.

goon
10-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Let's make him an offer.

MisterB
10-28-2007, 11:33 PM

Well, the Sox did spend almost $35M more this season than they did in '05. Yet they have gaping holes in the roster. If they get Rodriguez at $30M/year in perpetuity, then your '08 (and beyond) Sox could look like this:

Owens LF
Fields 1B
Rodriguez SS
Thome DH
Dye RF
Crede 3B
Pierzynski C
Anderson CF
Richar 2B

Hall C
Ozuna UT
Gonzalez UT
Cintron IF

Buehrle SP
Vazquez SP
Contreras SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP

Jenks CL
Thornton LSU
MacDougal RSU
Logan RP
Wasserman RP
2 of Aardsma, Masset, Haeger, Sisco, Phillips

Konerko and Garland are traded for "B" prospects to clear salary.
BTW, that 25-man roster would be making just shy of $108M, which is what the Sox spent in '07.

Now honestly, how many wins would you expect from that team?

chisoxmike
10-28-2007, 11:34 PM

DumpJerry
10-28-2007, 11:37 PM
$115M - $130M yearly payroll should be enough and is reasonable for a top tier major-market team in these crazy times.
Not with the huge bubble created by ARod's salary. I said $150,000,000 because of the amount that will be needed for the other positions that Mr. Rodriquez cannot play while sitting at Short.

goon
10-28-2007, 11:40 PM
BTW, that 25-man roster would be making just shy of $108M, which is what the Sox spent in '07.

If the White Sox signed ARod, there would be a huge increase in revenue. The Sox could probably handle 108, maybe even go a bit higher.

Or is that just crazy thinking?

DSpivack
10-28-2007, 11:41 PM
If the White Sox signed ARod, there would be a huge increase in revenue. The Sox could probably handle 108, maybe even go a bit higher.

I don't think A-Rod equates to $30 mil more in revenue.

DumpJerry
10-28-2007, 11:43 PM

Slightly crazy. That is Borass' argument, by the way. Will he cause enough of a revenue increase to justify the salary? Hard to say. If the Sox can win it all without him, would the revenues be the same? Probably.

What if he is injured?

Palehose Pete
10-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Well, the Sox did spend almost $35M more this season than they did in '05. Yet they have gaping holes in the roster. If they get Rodriguez at $30M/year in perpetuity, then your '08 (and beyond) Sox could look like this:

Owens LF
Fields 1B
Rodriguez SS
Thome DH
Dye RF
Crede 3B
Pierzynski C
Anderson CF
Richar 2B

Hall C
Ozuna UT
Gonzalez UT
Cintron IF

Buehrle SP
Vazquez SP
Contreras SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP

Jenks CL
Thornton LSU
MacDougal RSU
Logan RP
Wasserman RP

Intriguing. Very intriguing. I feel like we'd be making a deal with the devil, so to speak, by getting Rodriguez but giving up a young, successful pitcher like Garland and an established clubhouse leader like Konerko. Something about losing one's soul to (maybe) gain the world (series)?...

But what do I know? That team above could go wire-to-wire and win it all for what anyone really knows. I say make Rodriguez an offer.

goon
10-28-2007, 11:49 PM

I wonder how far the payroll goes down this year...

DumpJerry
10-28-2007, 11:50 PM
I wonder how far the payroll is going to go down this year...
It's not. Reinsdorf and Kenny have already said it will go up. Been posted here several times.

ilsox7
10-28-2007, 11:52 PM
I wonder how far the payroll goes down this year...

MUsoxfan
Jenks CL
Thornton LSU
MacDougal RSU
Logan RP
Wasserman RP

You're kidding me, right? Didn't we just watch a season with that bullpen? A-Rod or no A-Rod, that's maybe an 80 win bullpen

goon
It's not. Reinsdorf and Kenny have already said it will go up. Been posted here several times.

I never listen to what Kenny says. I'd rather sit back and let him do something unpredictable, as always.

ilsox7
10-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I never listen to what Kenny says. I'd rather sit back and let him do something unpredictable, as always.

There is not one bit of evidence that payroll will decrease.

goon
10-28-2007, 11:56 PM
There is not one bit of evidence that payroll will decrease.

EITHER WAY...

Rodriguez opting is big news. I'm sure we have the next few months to enjoy the media festivities.

Domeshot17
10-28-2007, 11:57 PM

Owens LF
Fields 1B
Rodriguez SS
Thome DH
Dye RF
Crede 3B
Pierzynski C
Anderson CF
Richar 2B

Hall C
Ozuna UT
Gonzalez UT
Cintron IF

Buehrle SP
Vazquez SP
Contreras SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP

Jenks CL
Thornton LSU
MacDougal RSU
Logan RP
Wasserman RP

Are you kidding me?

You are going to trade Garland and Konerko for B specs. Not even top flight set up guys to shore up the bullpen. Not a real lead off man and not the 2nd rate CF Owens. Not even for a good ROLE PLAYER to replace the horrrrrriiddd Andy Gonzalez?!?!

I have heard bad ideas before, but I bet with that logic you are in the trade deng gordon hinrich tyrus and noah for Kobe camp. The idea of getting the guy isnt bad, the idea of HOW is insane.

Do I want AROD, YUP! But this is such a bad idea.

Here is what is true:

Arod is no good if he has no one to knock in. You want to run out a .250 hitting lead off man with a .330 OBP and a .250 hitting "1b" who has good power but not OBP to hit 2. WHO IN THE HELL IS GOING TO BE ON WHEN AROD HITS?!?!

IF you get Arod you better commit to a REAL lead off man.

Like I said, I want Arod, but if you get him you get more. This completely terrible idea is 2 steps forward and then 4 back! If you get him you better keep going. Otherwise, you take that 30 mil, and you use 15 of it for Hunter, 10 of it on either Fukudome or Alexei Ramirez (theres the guy you want there) and 5 on Linebrink.

I don't want to see Konerko dealt, I think he is a much bigger leader then people think. I think taking him out of the offense is the same as taking Buehrle out of the staff. Seen or not he is the soul.

Also, its going to make keeping guys tough. We are making a living on getting guys to stay below their market value. Konerko turned down more, Buehrle turned down a lot more, and how does it look when these guys turn it down to stay, and then we trade them? WHO THE HELL WANTS TO PLAY FOR A GM LIKE THAT.

I have said also I would trade Garland first. I think he is going to be easier to replace (and I think we have 3-4 in house replacements right now). But not for B specs. You trade Garland when someone pays for him like he can be a number 1 and not a number 2 or 3.

Konerko and Garland for Ervin Satana Figgins Shields Brandon Wood or Aybar and someone like Mcpherson or Morales.....maybe you got a deal. Deal an all star 4 hitter and an over rated but still GOOD pitcher for some B specs. That alone has sent me into this rant.

Thank you for making me appreciate Kenny Williams that much more right now.

WhiteSox5187
10-29-2007, 12:05 AM
So much for the talk of the 5 year, $150M extension, unless this is more of Bora$' slimy negotiating tactics. How many clubs out there are gonna be willing to top what he's getting already, let alone the astronomical figures Bora$ wants? The Angels, Mets, Red Sox, and maybe the Cubs?

SMO
The Mets are all set on the left side of the infield, the Cubs just gave a huge contract to Aramis and like what they see out of Theroit (not to mention only 400k a year), with the Red Sox just winning the world series I doubt they're going to be looking to throw on some huge salary type guy, probably thinking they can repeat as is. That leaves the Angels and with the Yankees already saying they won't persue him, that means they have more control over the price of his contract. If he thinks he is getting more than what the Yankees offered, he's nuts.

whitesoxfan
10-29-2007, 12:13 AM
I'd take him as well.

Domeshot17
10-29-2007, 12:17 AM
And in a seperate piece, Arod could bring close to 30 mil.

Think about it this way, you take one of the top selling jerseys in mlb, and then you change the team on the front, so now not only Sox fans, but Arod fans, all those kids who grow up loving AROD, not a team, but AROD need a new jersey-tshirt-bobblehead. The merchandise alone is monster!

Now you take those young kids who just traded in their yankee hat for a White Sox because of AROD. They are tuning in more, ESPN and Fox are putting more national White Sox games to see AROD, you keep the games biggest star in the spotlight, that is how it works.

Now you have AROD in a HUGE market still, and people are coming in to chicago to see him. Hes all over the place. This isnt the 2nd rate Texas Rangers, this is 2nd team in CHICAGO being pushed to a level of ACTUALLY BEING IN CHICAGO. Acting like a major market.

Add to in CHICAGO Arod becomes the BIGGEST NAME IN THE CITY, so less Zambrano and Soriano billboards, more AROD.

Then broadcasting revenue is up because as more people watch, more is paid for the ads.

Now you also figure you are going to steal a ton of cub fans. Also you will gain a lot of hispanic fans because Arod is such a strong figure to hispanic baseball fans.

Then add what the chase could bring to Arod hitting the all time home run record..maybe the all time world record..maybe the all time hit record..Hes going to be doing that if he stays healthy.

Arod might easily pay for himself. Its no lock, but be assured hell pay for atleast 60% of his salary

Domeshot17
10-29-2007, 12:21 AM
The Mets are all set on the left side of the infield, the Cubs just gave a huge contract to Aramis and like what they see out of Theroit (not to mention only 400k a year), with the Red Sox just winning the world series I doubt they're going to be looking to throw on some huge salary type guy, probably thinking they can repeat as is. That leaves the Angels and with the Yankees already saying they won't persue him, that means they have more control over the price of his contract. If he thinks he is getting more than what the Yankees offered, he's nuts.

Its arod. The Mets would move Reyes to 2b, and the Cubs would move Theriot over. Neither has a strong 2b. I mean, didn't David Wright volunteer to move to 2b or the OF if they signed Arod?

He will get more, we said the same thing about JD Drew. Im not pointing fingers *cough* Red Sox *cough* but certain teams *Cough* RED SOX *cough* have been known to tamper with Boras clients with opt out clauses and let him know the number they would be willing to pay.

JB98
10-29-2007, 12:50 AM
You're kidding me, right? Didn't we just watch a season with that bullpen? A-Rod or no A-Rod, that's maybe an 80 win bullpen

Not to mention, his suggested rotation includes Grandpa Contreras, Floyd and Danks. Doesn't sound like a champion to me.

kidmccarthy
10-29-2007, 01:03 AM
All this means for us here, is no Torii Hunter. Texas now has 7 million more for the next 3 years and will use that on him. They will overpay, probably like 5/80 because they are dumb. So that leaves Rowand and Jones left on the free agent list. Andruw might end up being the bargain of the offseason, as A-rod will get most of the press and Andruw came off a miserable season. I think kenny would bite on Andruw before A-rod, its his under the radar style. We shall see...

DumpJerry
10-29-2007, 01:20 AM

Think about it this way, you take one of the top selling jerseys in mlb, and then you change the team on the front, so now not only Sox fans, but Arod fans, all those kids who grow up loving AROD, not a team, but AROD need a new jersey-tshirt-bobblehead. The merchandise alone is monster!

Now you take those young kids who just traded in their yankee hat for a White Sox because of AROD. They are tuning in more, ESPN and Fox are putting more national White Sox games to see AROD, you keep the games biggest star in the spotlight, that is how it works.

Now you have AROD in a HUGE market still, and people are coming in to chicago to see him. Hes all over the place. This isnt the 2nd rate Texas Rangers, this is 2nd team in CHICAGO being pushed to a level of ACTUALLY BEING IN CHICAGO. Acting like a major market.

Add to in CHICAGO Arod becomes the BIGGEST NAME IN THE CITY, so less Zambrano and Soriano billboards, more AROD.

Then broadcasting revenue is up because as more people watch, more is paid for the ads.

Now you also figure you are going to steal a ton of cub fans. Also you will gain a lot of hispanic fans because Arod is such a strong figure to hispanic baseball fans.

Then add what the chase could bring to Arod hitting the all time home run record..maybe the all time world record..maybe the all time hit record..Hes going to be doing that if he stays healthy.

Arod might easily pay for himself. Its no lock, but be assured hell pay for atleast 60% of his salary
You're assuming a lot there. A big part of ARod's cache is the Yankee name attached to him. I don't think there will be a 100% crossover to his new team. Some of those kids who bought his Yankee clothing may feel betrayed and won't by the new clothing. ESPN will always be ESPN, so don't expect a huge increase in positive press from them.

Ever hear of Ozzie Guillen? Ever notice his impact on the Hispanic community after 2005? ARod is going to increase our base among Hispanic fans? Doubt it.

TDog
10-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Without Rodriguez, the Yankees would be more profitable, even if they don't make the postseason. maybe the Yankees should be grateful that Rodriguez is opting out. Teams interested in not losing millions of dollars won't talk to him. But as ridiculous as his contract with the Rangers was, the Rangers didn't have to fulfill it. The White Sox signed Albert Belle to a ridiculous contract and ended up not having to fulfill it.

I don't know how crazy the next Rodriguez contract will be. It seems extremely unlikely that he would sign for less money than the Yankees, that he wants out of the Bronx so much that he's willing to pay for less. I'm guessing, though, that he will prefer to stay in the American League, where he knows the pitchers. I don't expect the White Sox to be one of the teams that goes hard after Rodriguez, but considering the credibility signing Rodriguez would give the Sox (especially if the Cubs appear to be in the mix) I wouldn't consider it an impossibility for the Sox to sign him without gutting their team.

LITTLE NELL
10-29-2007, 05:54 AM
What AROD did leaves a horrible taste in my mouth, how much money do you need? I hate what professional sports has become.

Steelrod
10-29-2007, 06:16 AM
Without Rodriguez, the Yankees would be more profitable, even if they don't make the postseason. maybe the Yankees should be grateful that Rodriguez is opting out. Teams interested in not losing millions of dollars won't talk to him. But as ridiculous as his contract with the Rangers was, the Rangers didn't have to fulfill it. The White Sox signed Albert Belle to a ridiculous contract and ended up not having to fulfill it.

I don't know how crazy the next Rodriguez contract will be. It seems extremely unlikely that he would sign for less money than the Yankees, that he wants out of the Bronx so much that he's willing to pay for less. I'm guessing, though, that he will prefer to stay in the American League, where he knows the pitchers. I don't expect the White Sox to be one of the teams that goes hard after Rodriguez, but considering the credibility signing Rodriguez would give the Sox (especially if the Cubs appear to be in the mix) I wouldn't consider it an impossibility for the Sox to sign him without gutting their team.
In some crazy way, I currently am respecting his decision to elect free agency. I have little doubt that he did not enjoy his stays in both Texas and New York. If he is finally looking for some place he actually wants to play, and there has been no tampering while he was under the Yankee's watch, with no team agreeing in advance to his demands, then I wish him luck.
For some team to pay him more than 8 million more than the yanks for the next three years, plus a generous extension, that team (who ever it might be) will have lost all sense of reason. The bottom line is his current demands will add at least $10 to the cost of every ticket sold.
Replica uniforms and other uses of his name to sell products is part of MLB licensing, and adds nothing to the teams revenue.
If he ends up taking less money, which IS a possibility, to play for a chosen team, then I wish him well, since he already has all the money in the world. If this ends up all about money again, I take all of this back, and pray he doesn't end up with us.

Noneck
10-29-2007, 06:21 AM
What AROD did leaves a horrible taste in my mouth, how much money do you need? I hate what professional sports has become.

How much $$$$ does one need? If thats whats important to him, Its as much as he can get. As long as fans keep going to the parks and supporting MLB, this is the way it goes. People choose to support him and others in pro sports, so until that changes it will continue.

chaerulez
10-29-2007, 06:31 AM
:praying:

For all of his glorious skills, ARod has not won a World Series, but he is a great Mr. April.

Because one player is responsible for his team not winning the World Series. :rolleyes:

Not the mediocre pitching that was assembled in each of the Yankees teams he played on. And yes A-Rod did tie up Texas with his contract, but no one forced Tom Hicks to give him that money.

A-Rod underperformed this year in the playoffs again. .267 1 HR and 1 RBI. However Jeter, Posada, and Matsui choked harder than he did. For all the knock on A-Rod for his postseason play, he's only had two terrible postseason series and he's had a few great ones. I don't see why we should laugh at the Cubs if they sign him. That is if his signing doesn't bind them finanically (which it shouldn't), with a 3-4-5 of A-Rod, Lee and Ramirez and Soriano in the lineup you could get 160 HRs from that foursome alone. When the Yankees were struggling early and 10 games under .500, A-Rod bailed them out many times. If you replaced A-Rod with someone of average skill, say a .270 15 HR hitter, the Yankees probably wouldn't have made the playoffs.

Frater Perdurabo
10-29-2007, 06:37 AM
I would not have a problem if A-Rod played SS for the White Sox.

Notice that the only argument AGAINST signing him is based on the PERCENTAGE of the payroll he would consume.

No one's arguing that he's bad. Some say he's been mediocre in the postseason, but so are lots of other great players. No one's even arguing that he's not worth $30 million/year because they realize that that is how the market operates.

If the Sox did sign A-Rod, KW and JR would make sure it would not harm the team overall. Notice that the Sox never have allowed themselves to be hamstrung by bad contracts - they even got themselves out from under Belle's contract.

Jjav829
10-29-2007, 07:15 AM
And people say he isn't a true Yankee. He picked the day the Red Sox won the World Series to announce that he would opt out of his deal, thus taking away some of the spotlight from the Red Sox. So Yankee-ish...

Jjav829
10-29-2007, 07:17 AM
Let's make him an offer.

...he can't refuse.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/luca_brasi.jpg

GAsoxfan
10-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Did anyone see Gammons talking about A-Rod after the World Series? He blasted the timing of A-Rod opting out. You could tell he was pissed, and was completely unprofessional. I guess he was just upset he had to talk about something other than his precious Red Sox.

spiffie
10-29-2007, 07:31 AM
I think the problem with the Yanks extension is likely not how much money they offered, but more the # of years. I suspect Boras will likely end up having his client settle for around the same yearly salary, maybe a token increase, but with a deal like was previously signed, where if A-Rod wants out in a few years he can go, otherwise he'll have to be signed for at least 7 and more likely 9-10 years. And to me that is the thing that makes it an unappealing prospect. Go back and read the revenue threads. The Sox own part of CSN, they would almost certainly sell a ton of season tickets and draw huge at least the first year, and are part of the MLB gravy train that is setting record revenues. They most likely could afford A-Rod for 2008 and 2009 and 2010, and justify the cost as he produces. But what about 2016? Not likely so much...

fquaye149
10-29-2007, 07:41 AM
Did anyone see Gammons talking about A-Rod after the World Series? He blasted the timing of A-Rod opting out. You could tell he was pissed, and was completely unprofessional. I guess he was just upset he had to talk about something other than his precious Red Sox.

Someone pointed out that it wasn't like A-Rod or the Yankees had a press-conference about it.

Fact is, ESPN only has itself to blame for breaking this news--their continual attempts to "outscoop" the competition is what ultimately drew attention away from their precious Red Sox.

Of course they're not going to spin it that way, and who can blame them?

Mr.1Dog
10-29-2007, 07:45 AM
I would rather shell out the cash for Santana. But that's just me.

CLR01
10-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Owens LF
Fields 1B
Rodriguez SS
Thome DH
Dye RF
Crede 3B
Pierzynski C
Anderson CF
Richar 2B

Anderson would kill Arod, steal his shoes and shave his eyebrows. What a waste of 30 million a year that would be!

munchman33
10-29-2007, 08:27 AM

He'll probably bring close to that much to Comcast in ad revenue for the year alone.

Flight #24
10-29-2007, 08:36 AM
This has been posted numerous times, but FWIW, ARod can be had on a $117M budget without killing the rest of the squad.

Batting order:
- Owens (CF): $.33M
- Fields (LF): $.33M)
- ARod (SS): $30M
- Thome (DH): $8M
- Konerko (1B): $12M
- Dye (RF) : $9M
- AJ (C): $6M
- Crede (3B): $5M
- Richar (2B): $.33M
TOTAL: $71M

Rotation:
- Buehrle: $14M
- Vazquez: $12M
- Garland: $10M
- Danks: $.33M
- Floyd/Gio: $.33M
Total: $37M

Bullpen:
- Jenks: $.5M
- FA Vet: $2M
- Thornton: $.875M
- Wasserman: $.33M
- Logan: $.33M
TOTAL: $6M

Add in ~$3M for the bench and you have a grand total of $117M.

Moves it requires you to make: dump Contreras for anything, which IMO is doable given that he rebounded down the stretch and is on a pretty cheap 2/$20M deal. Heck - if you can get a decent relief arm for him, you can do ARod on a $15M deal (the arm replaces a FA bullpen signing).

And going forward, because ARod's still relatively young, he gives you a much much better chance to rebuild as you lose Thome, etc.

itsnotrequired
10-29-2007, 08:36 AM
I would love to see Santana with the Sox.

Just out of curiosity I wonder what his career stats are minus the Sox.:?:

His ERA minus the Sox is the same as his career ERA (3.22). His career BAA is .221 and minus the Sox, it is .222.

tebman
10-29-2007, 08:45 AM
He'll probably bring close to that much to Comcast in ad revenue for the year alone.
Mr. Boras, is that you?

thepaulbowski
10-29-2007, 08:59 AM

Except for merchandise sold at the ballpark, all MLB teams share the revenue from merchandising equally.

I want the Sox to sign A-Rod because of his clutch performances in the playoffs. :rolleyes:

chaerulez
10-29-2007, 09:05 AM
This has been posted numerous times, but FWIW, ARod can be had on a $117M budget without killing the rest of the squad.

Batting order:
- Owens (CF): $.33M
- Fields (LF): $.33M)
- ARod (SS): $30M
- Thome (DH): $8M
- Konerko (1B): $12M
- Dye (RF) : $9M
- AJ (C): $6M
- Crede (3B): $5M
- Richar (2B): $.33M
TOTAL: $71M

Rotation:
- Buehrle: $14M
- Vazquez: $12M
- Garland: $10M
- Danks: $.33M
- Floyd/Gio: $.33M
Total: $37M

Bullpen:
- Jenks: $.5M
- Thornton: $.875M
- Wasserman: $.33M
- Logan: $.33M
TOTAL: $6M

Add in ~$3M for the bench and you have a grand total of $117M.

Moves it requires you to make: dump Contreras for anything, which IMO is doable given that he rebounded down the stretch and is on a pretty cheap 2/$20M deal. Heck - if you can get a decent relief arm for him, you can do ARod on a $15M deal (the arm replaces a FA bullpen signing).

And going forward, because ARod's still relatively young, he gives you a much much better chance to rebuild as you lose Thome, etc.

Not to mention Crede is expendable, we do have Sweeney who still projects to be an everyday player, and Fields can go back to 3B. I would say the payroll needs to be around $130 million, which I think is resonable to ask for a team in the third largest market in the country. Because I don't think Owens is an everyday player. I would be for trading Crede for a pitching prospect, although I understand his value is not very high right now. That frees up money to get Torii Hunter. I think if we dump Jose we have to eat at least $10 of that $20 million.

jabrch
10-29-2007, 09:10 AM

That's just plain old dumb. You know Kenny wouldn't do that - why even insinuate that it is the only way we'd sign A-Rod?

Elvisfan1977
10-29-2007, 09:18 AM
If the Bulls could trade for Kobe, the Sox could use him as leverage for a TV marketing package to get ARod. They'll be the the #3 market and will bring a ton of revenue to both teams in the long run. I'd do it, but my only reservations are Kobe's attitude and ARod's post season history.

What do you think?

SBSoxFan
10-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Except for merchandise sold at the ballpark, all MLB teams share the revenue from merchandising equally.

Thanks for making that point. How much additional income would have to be accounted for directly by signing ARod to account for, say, $10M? I'm thinking a lot when much of it is spread between all MLB teams.

Noneck
10-29-2007, 09:32 AM
It all comes down to where he wants to play. If the Sox have to dump most of their valuable players in order to afford A-Rod, why would he want to play here? I'm sure he is not looking for a team thats going into rebuilding mode.

cbotnyse
10-29-2007, 09:41 AM
If the Bulls could trade for Kobe, the Sox could use him as leverage for a TV marketing package to get ARod. They'll be the the #3 market and will bring a ton of revenue to both teams in the long run. I'd do it, but my only reservations are Kobe's attitude and ARod's post season history.

What do you think?Arod and Kobe in Chicago next year? I'll take it. I couldn't care less what Kobe's attitude is, score 30+ a game and I'll get over it. Arod is due for a post season explosion, but for now, I just want him so he can get us to the post season.

IlliniSox4Life
10-29-2007, 09:41 AM

What do you think?

The Bulls and Sox are separate companies that have separate ownership groups. While some sort of gigantic marketing deal might be a possibility if they both happen to get their players, they wouldn't give players deals with the expectation of marketing.

Not only that, but how exactly do the Sox "use Kobe as leverage"? You also assume that ARod would want to be promoted with Kobe and vice versa.

wdelaney72
10-29-2007, 09:42 AM
The only real advantage the White Sox have to offer Rodriguez is that the Cell is a freindly HR park for a right handed batter.

The Sox will make an offer and go on their way.

Rodriguez will get big money somewhere else. Me thinks San Francisco, but I'm sure I'll be wrong.

IlliniSox4Life
10-29-2007, 09:43 AM
Arod and Kobe in Chicago next year? I'll take it. I couldn't care less what Kobe's attitude is, score 30+ a game and I'll get over it. Arod is due for a post season explosion, but for now, I just want him so he can get us to the post season.

I would take them both next year too (assuming the packages we offer aren't too ridiculous). But if they are gotten, they are gotten separately.

fquaye149
10-29-2007, 09:48 AM
The only real advantage the White Sox have to offer Rodriguez is that the Cell is a freindly HR park for a right handed batter.

Rodriguez will get big money somewhere else. Me thinks San Francisco, but I'm sure I'll be wrong.

Well also we could show him how friendly-like the media treated the only other truly great baseball player in Chicago in the past 50-odd years (Frank, of course) and say, "well look at how well you did last year with the NY media on your ass--think how well you'll do among an even more despicable sportswriting community"

cbotnyse
10-29-2007, 09:49 AM
I would take them both next year too (assuming the packages we offer aren't too ridiculous). But if they are gotten, they are gotten separately.yeah I agree. At this point it looks like Kobe is a better possiblity than Arod. I think Paxson is smart enough not to offer our whole team to get him however.

And I think Arod is really a long shot. If he ends up here, I'll be shocked.

spiffie
10-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Well also we could show him how friendly-like the media treated the only other truly great baseball player in Chicago in the past 50-odd years (Frank, of course) and say, "well look at how well you did last year with the NY media on your ass--think how well you'll do among an even more despicable sportswriting community"
Honestly, even as crappy as dealing with The Windsock or Tailgunnner Joe might be, I have a hunch that any city short of London would be an easier burden media-wise than dealing with the NYC media crunch.

(This is where Fenway comes in and gives us a detailed account of how crazy the Boston media is.)

Hendu
10-29-2007, 10:04 AM

I would take them both too, but only if Kobe plays for the Sox and A-Rod for the Bulls. :wink:

In all seriousness, I just don't see how paying $30 mil for one roster spot over the next decade is a good use of payroll. A-Rod is a great player, but we're more than one power-hitting shortstop away from a dynasty.

IlliniSox4Life
10-29-2007, 10:08 AM
Honestly, even as crappy as dealing with The Windsock or Tailgunnner Joe might be, I have a hunch that any city short of London would be an easier burden media-wise than dealing with the NYC media crunch.

(This is where Fenway comes in and gives us a detailed account of how crazy the Boston media is.)

There's no way that ARod would be more scrutinized here than in Boston or New York. Especially if he played for the Sox. The media never writes anything about us.
Possible Cubune Headline the day we sign ARod:
ASOR EXPECTS TO GET BACK TO 40-40. WHO-ROD?

thepaulbowski
10-29-2007, 10:26 AM
It all comes down to where he wants to play. If the Sox have to dump most of their valuable players in order to afford A-Rod, why would he want to play here? I'm sure he is not looking for a team thats going into rebuilding mode.

No, it comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Why did he sign with Texas? $$$$ Why is he leaving New York? $$$. Why will he sign with the next team? $$$$ With ARod & Boras it is all about the money. Period.

oeo
10-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Yankee fans' (at nyyfans.com) solutions to 3B are either moving Cano to third, signing Lowell (who Epstein has said the Red Sox will re-sign), or signing Crede (who is arbitration eligible).

Now...what could we get in return for Crede?

russ99
10-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Yankee fans' (at nyyfans.com) solutions to 3B are either moving Cano to third, signing Lowell (who Epstein has said the Red Sox will re-sign), or signing Crede (who is arbitration eligible).

Now...what could we get in return for Crede?

If he's healthy, I'd go for Melky Cabrera to play LF and a lesser reliever. Maybe throw in a prospect or two (BA?) to even it up.

cbotnyse
10-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I just hope the Red Sox dont get him. Put him in the line up next to Manny and Ortiz and how does any pitcher stop that?

slavko
10-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Are you kidding me?

I have heard bad ideas before, but I bet with that logic you are in the trade deng gordon hinrich tyrus and noah for Kobe camp. The idea of getting the guy isnt bad, the idea of HOW is insane.

The difference is that Kobe can help other players on defense and Alex can only play one position. Kobe can take the last second shot for "it all" or for that matter, every shot, and Alex bats once every nine times. (Yeah, I know, Boras is working on that one.) I don't want either one.

AZChiSoxFan
10-29-2007, 11:12 AM

Plus, with the Sox only having to pay their radio color guy $20,000 a year, they have extra money to spend on A-rod that wouldn't be there if they had a professional in the booth.

I'm not sure if that should be in teal or not.

SoxyStu
10-29-2007, 11:13 AM
If he's healthy, I'd go for Melky Cabrera to play LF and a lesser reliever. Maybe throw in a prospect or two (BA?) to even it up.

Naw...can't let that sexy cannon go to waste in left.

oeo
10-29-2007, 11:13 AM

The Yankees wouldn't go for that. Melky Cabrera is going to be a stud.

cbotnyse
10-29-2007, 11:32 AM
I just hope the Red Sox dont get him. Put him in the line up next to Manny and Ortiz and how does any pitcher stop that?I guess Boston could never afford all three could they?

FedEx227
10-29-2007, 11:37 AM
Okay, I've really had enough of this he's an awful playoff player crap.

1997 ALDS with Sea: .313/.313/.563 RBIs: 1
2000 ALDS with Sea: .308/.308/.308 RBIs: 2
2000 ALCS with Sea: .409/.480/.773 RBIs: 5
2004 ALDS with NYY: .421/.476/.737 RBIs: 3
2004 ALCS with NYY: .258/.378/.516 RBIs: 5
2005 ALDS with NYY: .133/.381/.200 RBIs: 0
2006 ALDS with NYY: .071/.071/.071 RBIs: 0
2007 ALDS with NYY: .267/.353/.467 RBIs: 1

He's had 2 bad playoff series his entire career and in the 2005 series he actually got on base at a great clip. 2006 was atrocious... but yet you people get fooled by the NY media and ESPN in thinking he's an awful postseason player? When outside of 2006 did that happen?

spiffie
10-29-2007, 11:43 AM
I guess Boston could never afford all three could they?
I'm going to guess I missed the teal on this one?

Just pull up a list of Fenway's posts about the 8 mililon money streams they have set up for themselves. The idea they couldn't afford A-Rod is laughable, and if they try to sell the public on that they ought to be beaten with their own wallets.

cbotnyse
10-29-2007, 11:46 AM

Just pull up a list of Fenway's posts about the 8 mililon money streams they have set up for themselves. The idea they couldn't afford A-Rod is laughable, and if they try to sell the public on that they ought to be beaten with their own wallets.No I really dont know and dont follow their payroll at all. But having all three guys could be an enormous cost no? I'm not saying afford just Arod, but all three of them. Maybe they can, I just hope they dont.

AZChiSoxFan
10-29-2007, 11:48 AM

Just pull up a list of Fenway's posts about the 8 mililon money streams they have set up for themselves. The idea they couldn't afford A-Rod is laughable, and if they try to sell the public on that they ought to be beaten with their own wallets.

Totally agree with you. I may be wrong on this (I usually am :redface:) but I'm slightly worried that MLB is about to become like English Premier League soccer, where every year, there are only 3 or 4 teams that have any chance at all of winning the league. I know that this is not the case right now with MLB (7 different team winning the WS in the last 8 seasons) but I'm afraid we may be headed in that direction. I'm really worried that the Red Sox are going to sign A-Rod.

Fenway
10-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Did you see the smile on John Henry's face when he read his blackberry message about A-Rod?

Big winner in this is Mike Lowell.

Selig was reported to be livid that Boras pulled this stunt to upstage the World Series.

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2007/10/29/alg_frontback10_29.jpg (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/galleries/october_front_pages/october_front_pages.html)

Hank Steinbrenner says 'goodbye' to A-Rod (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/28/2007-10-28_hank_steinbrenner_says_goodbye_to_arod.html)

Winter worsens for Yanks as Red Sox win Series, A-Rod opts out (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/29/2007-10-29_winter_worsens_for_yanks_as_sox_win_seri.html)
With A-Rod out of picture, Yanks focus on skipper (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/29/2007-10-29_with_arod_out_of_picture_yanks_focus_on_.html)
The answer is simple: Alex Rodriguez to the Mets (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2007/10/28/2007-10-28_the_answer_is_simple_alex_rodriguez_to_t.html)

FedEx227
10-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Did you see the smile on John Henry's face when he read his blackberry message about A-Rod?

Selig was reported to be livid that Boras pulled this stunt to upstage the World Series.

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2007/10/29/alg_frontback10_29.jpg (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/galleries/october_front_pages/october_front_pages.html)

Hank Steinbrenner says 'goodbye' to A-Rod (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/28/2007-10-28_hank_steinbrenner_says_goodbye_to_arod.html)

Winter worsens for Yanks as Red Sox win Series, A-Rod opts out (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/29/2007-10-29_winter_worsens_for_yanks_as_sox_win_seri.html)
With A-Rod out of picture, Yanks focus on skipper (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/29/2007-10-29_with_arod_out_of_picture_yanks_focus_on_.html)
The answer is simple: Alex Rodriguez to the Mets (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2007/10/28/2007-10-28_the_answer_is_simple_alex_rodriguez_to_t.html)

Good riddance A-Rod. The NY Media wanted nothing more than to bash him at every turn, now they are up in arms that he's leaving.

AZChiSoxFan
10-29-2007, 11:52 AM

Why's that?

Fenway
10-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Why's that?

Yankees need a third baseman...Lowell is a free agent

If Boston doesn't sign him...NYY will

fquaye149
10-29-2007, 12:26 PM

I would add Phil Rogers to that mix since he's decided to become a #1 piece of **** lately

Hitmen77
10-29-2007, 01:28 PM
How much $$$$ does one need? If thats whats important to him, Its as much as he can get. As long as fans keep going to the parks and supporting MLB, this is the way it goes. People choose to support him and others in pro sports, so until that changes it will continue.

No, it comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Why did he sign with Texas? $$$$ Why is he leaving New York? $$$. Why will he sign with the next team? $$$$ With ARod & Boras it is all about the money. Period.

Of course A-Rod is entitled to make as much money as he can get and, with his skills, he can certainly earn as much as he can get from some rich owner.

.....however, you have to wonder how much a person should sell out his reputation to get the most $$$ possible. Even without Boras and his tactics, A-Rod would have earned well over $100 million in his career. At the very least, he could have stayed with Seattle with a nice fat contract extension, make tens of millions, become a hero in that town, maybe help the M's win at least 1 pennant this decade, and then wait for the statue of him to be added at Safeco Field once he retired. The ONLY thing people would think of when they thought of A-Rod was his unbelievable talent.

Instead, he's gone for the totally astronomical contracts at every opportunity. Yes, he's entitled to get that $$ from whatever rich owner wants to spend it. I'm not questionning that. However, IMO it has cost him a tremendous amount in terms of his image and reputation. Now, when A-Rod is discussed, he's known almost as much for his insane contracts as his talent. This stunt of having Boras announce A-Rod opting out during the final game of the World Series will just strike fans as classless and greedy. In the end, which fan base will love him as their own? Who would retire his # if his career ended today? Seattle? Texas? NY Yankees? I don't think fans of any of these teams are too happy with him.

I know - A-Rod isn't the only player ever to break the bank. We all know that even our own Mr. Nice Guy, Jim Thome, went for the highest bidder in Philly (which by the way, did cost him some in terms of his reputation). However, the A-Rod/Boras approach has been just completely over the top. Like I said, he's perfectly entitled to make as much as some rich owner is willing to pay him. But for a player in his shoes, I don't think it's simply a choice of "go for the most insane contract, period". That's the path he has chosen, but IMO there is a price to pay for this approach.

PKalltheway
10-29-2007, 01:43 PM

He's had 2 bad playoff series his entire career and in the 2005 series he actually got on base at a great clip. 2006 was atrocious... but yet you people get fooled by the NY media and ESPN in thinking he's an awful postseason player? When outside of 2006 did that happen?
Tell me about it. Also, in 2006, their "chosen one," Derek Jeter, had an awful series against Detroit as well. What gives?

DSpivack
10-29-2007, 01:52 PM
No I really dont know and dont follow their payroll at all. But having all three guys could be an enormous cost no? I'm not saying afford just Arod, but all three of them. Maybe they can, I just hope they dont.

They would only have to 'afford' all three of them for one year. Manny's contract finally is up after next season, and no way will he make anything close to $20 mil anymore.

thepaulbowski
10-29-2007, 03:16 PM

Since becoming the highest paid player in baseball, he's had one really good series (2004 ALDS) and the rest have been average or below. One should expect more than that from the highest paid player in the game.

thepaulbowski
10-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Tell me about it. Also, in 2006, their "chosen one," Derek Jeter, had an awful series against Detroit as well. What gives?

Jeter had a great series against Detroit. .500/.529/.938

Jeter also had contributed to 4 more World Series titles than ARod.

itsnotrequired
10-29-2007, 03:31 PM

Yeah, I didn't get that 2006 jab either. From a percentage standpoint, it was his best postseason series ever!

PKalltheway
10-29-2007, 03:46 PM

:redface: My apologies. I accidentally lumped Jeter into the rest of the Yankee team from that series. It just seemed that outside of the first game, the Yankees stunk up the joint in that series. I don't like Jeter, but I apologize for my error.

jabrch
10-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Since becoming the highest paid player in baseball, he's had one really good series (2004 ALDS) and the rest have been average or below. One should expect more than that from the highest paid player in the game.

With such a small sample size, I don't believe there is any reliability of this conclusion. He plays 100 and whatever games per year during the regular season and is the best player (or arguably such) nearly every year. I still refuse to believe that a sample size of 50 ABs spread out in a few tight bunches negates that.

Oblong
10-29-2007, 06:50 PM
With such a small sample size, I don't believe there is any reliability of this conclusion. He plays 100 and whatever games per year during the regular season and is the best player (or arguably such) nearly every year. I still refuse to believe that a sample size of 50 ABs spread out in a few tight bunches negates that.

and without his bat all year they're not playing in October anyway. Jeter's had his number of stinker series too. Didn't the Yankees actually pay Jeter more than Arod when you factor in what Texas picked up.

Martinigirl
10-29-2007, 07:13 PM
I don't believe the Sox will be in the hunt for ARod. I really can't imagine ARod being able to exist with Ozzie without having a breakdown.

StillMissOzzie
10-29-2007, 07:17 PM

Ownership is expected to hold off on major announcements during the World Series, or at least ask Bud for permission. Agents don't need to show that kind of restraint (or class).
IMHO, this is more Bora$ at his slimiest, needing to stroke his ego by making the announcement during game 4. I think that he hates being out of the spotlight.

JH happy because he's in the A-Rod hunt, or just happy that he won't be on the NYY anymore?
As for Bud being livid, I can't say as I blame him. The World Series, especially a potentially clinching game #4, deserves the spotlight all by itself.

They would only have to 'afford' all three of them for one year. Manny's contract finally is up after next season, and no way will he make anything close to $20 mil anymore.

Don't forget Dice-K and JD Drew and Varitek. I think they ALL have 8 figure deals.

SMO
:gulp:

SoxSpeed22
10-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Selig was reported to be livid that Boras pulled this stunt to upstage the World Series.Speaking of... (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3085166)
My only reaction is... are you ****in' me? [mini-rant] A-Rod is such a selfish prick for deciding on this when his heart said so. He's upstaging the Red Sox and their moment, so poor Boston can't bask in their glory while all the attention, which is induced by Major League Baseball, especially ESPN, is focused on the Yankees. [end mini-rant]
Once Mitchell drops the bomb on all the steroids that Selig allowed, he will have a lot more to worry about than this.

Fenway
10-29-2007, 07:39 PM
I think ARod will wind up with the Cubs. The Trib can offer the moon knowing the new owner will pay 90% of it. This is why Harrington overpaid for Manny in 2000. I also think ARod wants to play for Lou again.

Oblong
10-29-2007, 07:52 PM
I think any time NY and Boston can get upstaged it's a good thing, providing it's baseball related of course, no national tragedies or anything like that. I don't like Boras either but he got a double whammy here because it will encroach on the NY Yankee manager news too, which I think was the real point of the "leak".

FedEx227
10-29-2007, 07:56 PM
I think ARod will wind up with the Cubs. The Trib can offer the moon knowing the new owner will pay 90% of it. This is why Harrington overpaid for Manny in 2000. I also think ARod wants to play for Lou again.

Does the impending sale effect this at all?

This team would be on the books for a guaranteed top 3 payroll the next 5 years with both A-Rod and Soriano on board... ALONG with Ramirez and Zambrano.

I just don't see MLB letting them do that without an owner in place.

Tragg
10-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Well, the Sox did spend almost $35M more this season than they did in '05. Yet they have gaping holes in the roster......

Sure, the Sox loaded up with mediocre veteran hackers in the pen and on the field. $2 mill for the likes of Cintron, $3 mill for Erstad, 800K for Bukvich and on and on. That garbage adds up.

Tragg
10-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Great players should produce in the playoffs.
If he were a $15 mill player, that would be fine.
But he's a $30 mill player and there should be no question about his playoff production - none. And he certainly doesn't need excuses for him.
I read "best of all time"...I don't recall MJ needing sample size asterisks.

Oh, and no offense, but "Small sample size" sounds like Billy Beane!

Fenway
10-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Does the impending sale effect this at all?

This team would be on the books for a guaranteed top 3 payroll the next 5 years with both A-Rod and Soriano on board... ALONG with Ramirez and Zambrano.

I just don't see MLB letting them do that without an owner in place.

MLB allowed the Yawkey Trust to sign Manny while the team was being sold.

Oblong
10-29-2007, 08:15 PM
But he's a $30 mill player and there should be no question about his playoff production - none. And he certainly doesn't need excuses for him.

baseball is a game of failure. The only player who can control a game is the pitcher and even then he can only prevent runs, he can't score them. Entirely apples and oranges comparison. It's also very hard to make the playoffs so you cant' just write off the ability to take a team to the playoffs as not good enough. Guys like Pat Borders, Scott Brosius, and David Eckstein don't get to be playoff heroes unless the big guns, who often get criticized for failing in the playoffs, take them there. They are riding on the coattails.

I'll take my chances with ARod in my lineup in the playoffs over any position player.

Noneck
10-29-2007, 08:20 PM

Great players should produce in post season but sometimes it just doesn't happen that way. If the yanks won it all with Arod there wouldn't be much talk about about him not stepping up at playoff time. Mantle didn't do much in post season but the yanks won alot of WS's when Mantle was on the team. The bottom line is all about winning, if you win the rest is forgotten.

FedEx227
10-29-2007, 09:19 PM
MLB allowed the Yawkey Trust to sign Manny while the team was being sold.

Okay, but what was the state of the Boston payroll at that time? That was 1999-2000 correct?

I'm not sure if we're talking in the same context here, because the 2000 Red Sox payroll is a completely different story market inflation and all.

Pedro Martinez 11.5 mil
John Valentin 6.35 mil
Ramon Martinez 6.32 mil
Jose Offerman 5.75 mil
Carl Everett 5 mil

Compared to the Cubs
Zambrano 12.4 mil
Soriano 9 mil this year- 13 mil next year
Lee 13 mil next year
Ramirez 8 mil this year - 14 mil next year

Right now on the books you have 4 guys making significantly more than the top paid player on the Red Sox during that period.
Add A-Rod and you now have one of the most financially strapped organizations in baseball history. Would Selig really want one of his boys to take that on?

Even if you look at the 2001 Red Sox, they obviously got Ramirez, and Pedro went up but it still looked like this:

Manny 13 mil
Pedro 13 mil
Everett 7.3 mil
Nomar 7.23 mil
Bichette 7 mil

The Cubs would look something like:
A-Rod 30 mil
Soriano 13 mil
Lee 13 mil
Ramirez 14 mil
Zambrano 12.4 mil

That is ungodly for a new ownership to take on, especially considering the Soriano deal is backloaded.

TDog
10-30-2007, 12:49 AM

I don't believe Rodriguez will go to the National League.

Nellie_Fox
10-30-2007, 01:12 AM
I don't believe Rodriguez will go to the National League.What about the Giants? They just freed up a little cash that they could use, and need a drawing card.

TDog
10-30-2007, 01:28 AM
What about the Giants? They just freed up a little cash that they could use, and need a drawing card.

And the Giants could use a shortstop. The Giants seem to be promoting a good young team that isn't built around a big-money star. I don't see the Giants replacing Bonds with Rodriguez.

But moreover, I don't see Rodriguez going to the National League when he knows the American League pitchers and on defense knows the American League hitters. Rodriguez may talk to National League teams to increase his price, but I don't believe he will end up signing with a National League team.

thepaulbowski
10-30-2007, 08:02 AM

Who cares what you did in the regular season, once you get to the playoffs. So, he's the best player in baseball until the postseason lights come on? Doesn't sound like a player I want on my team. Especially at the price tag he has. The goal is to win the World Series, not just win the regular season MVP. Or maybe it isn't his goal to win a World Series, he's just doing it for the records & $$$? I don't know.

Foultips
10-30-2007, 08:24 AM
PayRod can be forgiven for making his annoucement on October 28th as he had no idea baseball could be played that late in the month.

Oblong
10-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Who cares what you did in the regular season, once you get to the playoffs. So, he's the best player in baseball until the postseason lights come on? Doesn't sound like a player I want on my team. Especially at the price tag he has. The goal is to win the World Series, not just win the regular season MVP. Or maybe it isn't his goal to win a World Series, he's just doing it for the records & $$$? I don't know.

I didn't realize players had this ability to just turn it on and turn it off. There is no magic where players suddenly get better in the post season. Everything just gets magnified. Most of the players considered good post season performers have had their share of playoff follies but nobody remembers those.

You can have Scott Brosius. I'll take ARod.

itsnotrequired
10-30-2007, 08:33 AM
George Heidkamp discusses the ARod situation and how it relates to Boras and Crede on the latest episode of Soxcast.

http://www.soxcast.com/podcasts/soxcast122.mp3

Episode is 22 minutes long.

Fenway
10-30-2007, 08:46 AM
PayRod can be forgiven for making his annoucement on October 28th as he had no idea baseball could be played that late in the month.

:rolling: Post of the Week

Fenway
10-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Mike Lupica unloads on A-Fraud

Bid farewell to A-Rod, the gold-plated phony (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/30/2007-10-30_bid_farewell_to_arod_the_goldplated_phon.html)

Here was Boras the other night, getting his client A-Rod into the World Series the only way he can, having him opt out of his Yankees contract on the night the Boston Red Sox were about to sweep the Colorado Rockies.

In so doing, Boras unwittingly gave us a fitting epitaph to A-Rod's Yankee career:

He upstaged more World Series games than he actually played in.

fquaye149
10-30-2007, 10:26 AM
^^^utter trash.

sportswriters are a ****ing disease on sports

Oblong
10-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Essentially the media is upset at the media for talking about this during the WS games. Boras issued a press release. They didn't have to talk about it. They could have decided themselves that the WS was more important.

Fenway
10-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Essentially the media is upset at the media for talking about this during the WS games. Boras issued a press release. They didn't have to talk about it. They could have decided themselves that the WS was more important.

He didn't issue a press release. Boras CALLED the AP reporter in the Coors Field press box. He also called FOX.

ode to veeck
10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
He didn't issue a press release. Boras CALLED the AP reporter in the Coors Field press box. He also called FOX.

what else is new from the most theatrical lawyer of all time

FedEx227
10-30-2007, 10:55 AM
If everyone was going to be so pissed about it, just don't talk about it until the next day. Just because you have information doesn't mean you have to talk about it.

And OH WOW, how original a jab at A-Rod not playing in the World Series. OH MAN! HILARIOUS! Because baseball is clearly a sport where one individual player can make that much of a difference on his team considering he has an opportunity to help his team score 11% of the game.

Why no Craig Biggio jabs? He's never won a World Series.
Robin Yount? Terrible.
Tony Gwynn? Worst hitter ever.
Rod Carew? Who?
Nolan Ryan only one World Series, his rookie year.... what a choker.

fquaye149
10-30-2007, 10:55 AM

So what's your point? That Boras is a ****? No ****. But so is Fox and AP for running with it.

What, because Boras calls they have to run with it?:rolleyes:

Fenway
10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
So what's your point? That Boras is a ****? No ****. But so is Fox and AP for running with it.

What, because Boras calls they have to run with it?:rolleyes:

Sadly it is called news......

For five minutes in the top of the eighth, Fox’s broadcast stopped being about the Red Sox (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/bostonredsox/index.html?inline=nyt-org) and the Rockies (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/coloradorockies/index.html?inline=nyt-org) and became the “World Series Presents A-Rod.” If he were charged for those minutes as if they were commercials, he’d have paid $4 million.
“There is big news brewing,” Fox’s Joe Buck said shortly after 11 p.m., inviting the field reporter Ken Rosenthal to deliver the emergency A-Rod report. Rosenthal then joined Buck and the analyst Tim McCarver (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/tim_mccarver/index.html?inline=nyt-per) for a conversation that spread over the next few minutes.

Maybe Boras sensed a lull — Boston was leading, 4-1, and on the verge of sweeping the Rockies — and divined that A-Rod news was the cure for ennui. Fox had to cover it; it had been posted on SI.com (http://si.com/) at 10:34 p.m. and sent out by The Associated Press four minutes later, an alert that caught Fox’s attention and led to Rosenthal’s report.

Ed Goren, the president of Fox Sports, sounded resigned with having had to deal with the intrusion from the “A-Rod & Scottie” show. “These things happen,” he said yesterday from Denver. “Did it take us out of the game at a critical point? I don’t think it did. If the game heated up, we would have cut off the conversation.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/sports/baseball/30sandomir.html?_r=2&ref=sports&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

thepaulbowski
10-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Great players should produce in post season but sometimes it just doesn't happen that way. If the yanks won it all with Arod there wouldn't be much talk about about him not stepping up at playoff time. Mantle didn't do much in post season but the yanks won alot of WS's when Mantle was on the team. The bottom line is all about winning, if you win the rest is forgotten.

Mantle never tried to make himself bigger than the game. ARod & his agent have tried to do that. When you put yourself on a pedestal, you get what you deserve.

Oblong
10-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Sadly it is called news......

For five minutes in the top of the eighth, Fox’s broadcast stopped being about the Red Sox (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/bostonredsox/index.html?inline=nyt-org) and the Rockies (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/coloradorockies/index.html?inline=nyt-org) and became the “World Series Presents A-Rod.” If he were charged for those minutes as if they were commercials, he’d have paid $4 million.
“There is big news brewing,” Fox’s Joe Buck said shortly after 11 p.m., inviting the field reporter Ken Rosenthal to deliver the emergency A-Rod report. Rosenthal then joined Buck and the analyst Tim McCarver (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/tim_mccarver/index.html?inline=nyt-per) for a conversation that spread over the next few minutes.

Maybe Boras sensed a lull — Boston was leading, 4-1, and on the verge of sweeping the Rockies — and divined that A-Rod news was the cure for ennui. Fox had to cover it; it had been posted on SI.com (http://si.com/) at 10:34 p.m. and sent out by The Associated Press four minutes later, an alert that caught Fox’s attention and led to Rosenthal’s report.

Ed Goren, the president of Fox Sports, sounded resigned with having had to deal with the intrusion from the “A-Rod & Scottie” show. “These things happen,” he said yesterday from Denver. “Did it take us out of the game at a critical point? I don’t think it did. If the game heated up, we would have cut off the conversation.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/sports/baseball/30sandomir.html?_r=2&ref=sports&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

It was as newsworthy as a Paris Hilton DUI. Everybody knew he'd do it. They didn't have to talk about it. They could have announced it and moved on. But they chose not to.

It was a bush move on Boras and/or ARod to do that but Fox and the media didn't have to talk about.

FedEx227
10-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Boras is a tool, but he's only a tool if he has an outlet. Fox, AP, Yahoo Sports, ESPN all gave him a medium to be a tool.

They could have said "A-Rod opted out, I'm sure there will be more details later, but right now we have a World Series to talk about".

But instead they gave Boras just what he wanted. He's an attention-whore and they fulfilled his desire.

fquaye149
10-30-2007, 12:05 PM
It was as newsworthy as a Paris Hilton DUI. Everybody knew he'd do it. They didn't have to talk about it. They could have announced it and moved on. But they chose not to.

It was a bush move on Boras and/or ARod to do that but Fox and the media didn't have to talk about.

Bingo.

Fenway ought to put down his mike lupica articles every now and then and think about the NY Boston sports scene on his own

Fenway
10-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Bingo.

Fenway ought to put down his mike lupica articles every now and then and think about the NY Boston sports scene on his own

My only problem with FOX was they stayed on the story too long......

But where A-Rod goes will be the big baseball story for the next month

Noneck
10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Mantle never tried to make himself bigger than the game. ARod & his agent have tried to do that. When you put yourself on a pedestal, you get what you deserve.

Different era, I doubt Mantle even had an agent. The point is, If you win, certain stats are not important.

fquaye149
10-30-2007, 12:26 PM

Sure is. But Fox doesn't need to break that during the world series. And "But Boras called them up" doesn't hold much water as an argument why they would

soxfanatlanta
10-30-2007, 12:27 PM

Fenway, you make is sound like they canceled the WS. Pay no mind, the BoSox get to keep the trophy. :smile:

And with that, Boras accomplished exactly what he wanted to do. I had ESPN on the background yesterday, and the WS was not mentioned in the first ten minutes of the show - just unbelievable. As crass, arrogant, and selfish as it was, the news buzz generated by this will only help his client get enough money to buy Dubai.

Not trying to paint ARod as a dupe, but I wonder if he had any input as to when the press release would come out.

Fenway
10-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Sure is. But Fox doesn't need to break that during the world series. And "But Boras called them up" doesn't hold much water as an argument why they would

This is FOX we are talking about.......not to be confused with the glory days of NBC

fquaye149
10-30-2007, 12:34 PM
so we're agreed that the blame lands as much with fox as with boras.

great.

spiffie
10-30-2007, 12:38 PM
so we're agreed that the blame lands as much with fox as with boras.

great.
In the current prevailing spirit of WSI, I'm placing all the blame on Darin Erstad and Aaron Rowand.

thepaulbowski
10-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Different era, I doubt Mantle even had an agent. The point is, If you win, certain stats are not important.

Right, but ARod has never won.

MUsoxfan
10-30-2007, 01:33 PM

I'm sure you didn't mind "Monday Night Football Presents: 3 Hours of Kissing Tom Brady's Ass" a couple weeks ago when the Colts played the Jags:cool:

Fenway
10-30-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm sure you didn't mind "Monday Night Football Presents: 3 Hours of Kissing Tom Brady's Ass" a couple weeks ago when the Colts played the Jags:cool:

When I watch Monday Night Football I listen to Marv Albert and Boomer on the radio.

Those 3 clowns on ESPN are the worst I ever heard.

Noneck
10-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Right, but ARod has never won.

Bingo! Thats the point! If the yanks would have won it Arods playoff stats would be a moot point.

palehozenychicty
10-30-2007, 04:38 PM
A-Fraud is a guy who has shown time and time again that he really isn't about anything other than being the highest paid player. He puts up a front about team, but he's never shown actions towards this ethos. There's a reason that he's going to be on his fifth team. Look a little closer, people.

fquaye149
10-30-2007, 04:47 PM
A-Fraud is a guy who has shown time and time again that he really isn't about anything other than being the highest paid player.

Yeah--he's shown a lot of concern about other people's contracts.

He puts up a front about team, but he's never shown actions towards this ethos.

you mean except when he petitioned to have his contract reduced so he could go to Boston?

Or you mean when he agreed to play 3B for the Yankees to help protect the frail ego of "superstar" ss Derek Jeter?

Or what about in 2007 when, despite constant uncalled for assaults by his hometown media, after being booed unjustly for putting up numbers that 90% of MLB teams would have killed for at 3B in 2006, he proceeded to put an awful Yankees team on his back and carry them almost singlehandedly to the playoffs?

Yeah, it's true, he's NEVER shown that he wants his team to win.... it's all about the paycheck.

There's a reason that he's going to be on his fifth team. Look a little closer, people.

You mean his FOURTH team.

And it's not like he's Shea Hillenbrand or something. He left Seattle because he was FA eligible. They would have taken him back in a heartbeat. He requested a trade from Texas because they weren't competitive. Now he's exercising HIS option from NY. THEY TRIED TO RESIGN HIM.

He's on his fourth team because he wants to be. Period. You can't pretend he's some journeyman who can't stay on because he has an attitude problem. Though it seems you sure would like to.

chaerulez
10-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Just like fquaye said, A-Rod has only left teams when he has wanted to. People seem to forget- the Yankees wanted him to stay.

FarWestChicago
10-30-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm sure you didn't mind "Monday Night Football Presents: 3 Hours of Kissing Tom Brady's Ass" a couple weeks ago when the Colts played the Jags:cool:Oh please. This coming from a fan of the whiniest, most ass kissed QB since Dan Marino. :whiner:

CLR01
10-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Oh please. This coming from a fan of the whiniest, most ass kissed QB since Dan Marino. :whiner:

Says the Whiners fan. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
10-30-2007, 08:34 PM
I thought it was comical how Gail Fisher was pleading the Cubbies case to get A-Rod on Chicago Tribune Live! Tuesday even after both Ed Sherman and Dan Pompei gave sound reasons why it wouldn't happen.

It almost sounded to me that they were getting a little ticked about her ramblings in view of both saying 'no way,' 'not going to happen,' rather abruptly. That finally seemed to shut her up.

Lip

JB98
10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I thought it was comical how Gail Fisher was pleading the Cubbies case to get A-Rod on Chicago Tribune Live! Tuesday even after both Ed Sherman and Dan Pompei gave sound reasons why it wouldn't happen.

It almost sounded to me that they were getting a little ticked about her ramblings in view of both saying 'no way,' 'not going to happen,' rather abruptly. That finally seemed to shut her up.

Lip

You sort of wonder whether Gail is in the Wrigley press box chanting, "Let's go Cubbies!" during games. She's a cheerleader for that team.

fquaye149
10-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Just like fquaye said, A-Rod has only left teams when he has wanted to. People seem to forget- the Yankees wanted him to stay.

I doubt they forgot, since it just happened two days ago.

I think it's that they refused to admit it in the first place

soxfanreggie
10-31-2007, 07:36 AM
Jayson Stark on Mike and Mike in the morning reports the Sox are likely out of it and that the Tigers are a team to consider. I hope he's right that the Sox are out of the race, but I don't think I want to see A-Rod in the AL Central.

Oblong
10-31-2007, 07:56 AM
I don't know where these people are getting the idea that the Tigers are in on this. I think they just read and say whatever the next pundit said. Dombrowski's repeatedly said it's too much for one guy. He has a theory that the magic # for one guy's salary in terms of payroll is 17%. Anything more than that is too much.

He has also said "never say never" but he says that about everything.

If the Tigers sign ARod I will buy a White Sox hat and wear it to every Tiger game I go to in 2008.

palehozenychicty
10-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah--he's shown a lot of concern about other people's contracts.

you mean except when he petitioned to have his contract reduced so he could go to Boston?

Or you mean when he agreed to play 3B for the Yankees to help protect the frail ego of "superstar" ss Derek Jeter?

Or what about in 2007 when, despite constant uncalled for assaults by his hometown media, after being booed unjustly for putting up numbers that 90% of MLB teams would have killed for at 3B in 2006, he proceeded to put an awful Yankees team on his back and carry them almost singlehandedly to the playoffs?

Yeah, it's true, he's NEVER shown that he wants his team to win.... it's all about the paycheck.

You mean his FOURTH team.

And it's not like he's Shea Hillenbrand or something. He left Seattle because he was FA eligible. They would have taken him back in a heartbeat. He requested a trade from Texas because they weren't competitive. Now he's exercising HIS option from NY. THEY TRIED TO RESIGN HIM.

He's on his fourth team because he wants to be. Period. You can't pretend he's some journeyman who can't stay on because he has an attitude problem. Though it seems you sure would like to.

Say what you will about Jeter, but Jeter's gotten it done for his team when they needed him too. The four rings justify it. A-Rod has not done that yet.

Fine. He's going on his fourth team now. You really believe this upcoming team will be his last?? I'll be prescient.

I don't have to pretend. He doesn't have journeymen talent, but he has a prima donna's heart. I've been to enough Yankee games during his tenure, observed his play, and know some people who work for the organization. The guy is a self-centered egomaniac. Don't let the stats fool you.

fquaye149
10-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Say what you will about Jeter, but Jeter's gotten it done for his team when they needed him too. The four rings justify it. A-Rod has not done that yet.

Fine. He's going on his fourth team now. You really believe this upcoming team will be his last?? I'll be prescient.

I don't have to pretend. He doesn't have journeymen talent, but he has a prima donna's heart. I've been to enough Yankee games during his tenure, observed his play, and know some people who work for the organization. The guy is a self-centered egomaniac. Don't let the stats fool you.

Say what you will about A-Rod but he's constantly produced. Period. He's got more MVP's than Jeter, that's for damn sure....For instance, Jeter has zero. A-Rod has two. Jeter finished second once. A-Rod finished second twice. Jeter has two whole top five finishes in MVP voting. A-Rod has five. Oh, and A-Rod will win another MVP this year.

Oh? It's all about the rings, eh? Well what teams was he supposed to win rings with? The Mariners in 2000? HA! Those awful Texas teams?

Oh do you mean all those Yankees teams that Jeter the Jesus was also on?

Tell your story walking

Oblong
10-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Say what you will about Jeter, but Jeter's gotten it done for his team when they needed him too.

Did that include the two times in this year's ALDS when he grounded into a DP with runners on first and third in close ball games? Did that include games 4-7 of the 2004 ALCS when he hit .211? Did that include the 2001 playoffs when he hit .226?

If ARod was on the 1996, 1998,1999, and 2000 Yankees, would they still have won the WS those years? I'm guessing yes. If he was on the 2001 WS would they have beaten AZ? I'm guess yes, since Scott MVP Brosius tallied a stellar .140 batting average for the playoffs that year, but he did rise above that and go .167 in the world series, with a homer, so who knows.