PDA

View Full Version : Sucks to be a long-suffering 1B lately...

HomeFish
10-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Frank Thomas: shut out of the World Series his entire career, sees his team win it all in 2005 while he's sitting on the DL injured

Jeff Bagwell: shut out of the World Series his entire career, swept out of it in 2005

Todd Helton: shut out of the World Series his entire career, swept out of it in 2007 (probably)

OK, so Thomas is a bit of a stretch given that he's primarily a DH, but still.

fquaye149
10-28-2007, 04:59 PM
I suppose that if Bagwell hadn't pestered Garner to let him play in 2005, things might have worked out slightly diff. for the Astros.

I also suspect if Helton were hitting above his weight, things might be different for the Rockies.

Oh well.

Malgar 12
10-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Frank Thomas: shut out of the World Series his entire career, sees his team win it all in 2005 while he's sitting on the DL injured

Jeff Bagwell: shut out of the World Series his entire career, swept out of it in 2005

Todd Helton: shut out of the World Series his entire career, swept out of it in 2007 (probably)

Its also a stretch because he was on the team.

Patrick134
10-28-2007, 06:25 PM

Per baseball-reference.com, those 3 guys have combined to make over 300 million dollars. I know money isn't everything, but I doubt these guys have to shed many tears about not winning it all.

ND_Sox_Fan
10-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Per baseball-reference.com, those 3 guys have combined to make over 300 million dollars. I know money isn't everything, but I doubt these guys have to shed many tears about not winning it all.

First, I wouldn't lump Helton into the same category with Frank and Jeff. Todd needs to return to the player that he was pre-humidifier, before I am willing to put him there.

Second, - I know you put the "I know money isn't everything" caveat in there, but this money vs. winning comparison is a bit of a cheap shot to who these guys are. They have been well paid because they are great players, each is probably the best player in their respective franchise's history. Frank played for some miserable managers and both he and Jeff played for some bad teams. In baseball, there is more to winning games than just the contributions of one player. Frank and Jeff are/were great, unfortunately for them the supporting cast wasn't.

I don't care how much one makes, he isn't fully satisfied with his job performance unless he wins it all, is the best in his field, etc. If you are going to pay individuals for the performance of their team, all of the Red Sox players deserve $30 million contracts next year and A-rod deserves league minimum. The money these guys have made has nothing to do with it.

The fact that they have played their behinds off for 18, 15, and 11 years and still haven't won does - it is too bad for them that they haven't been able to be on the field when their team wins it all.

Note: this doesn't even get into the debate of the value Frank provided in May and June of 2005.

fquaye149
10-28-2007, 11:43 PM
without frank we don't win the world series in 05.

period