PDA

View Full Version : From out of left field

DrCrawdad
10-28-2007, 08:53 AM
"We're still here, folks. We're not moving to Timbuktu. We're just moving down the street."A's owner Lew Wolff to fans upset about the team's plans to abandon Oakland for Fremont, where it would be easier to tap into the Silicon Valley cash flow.

Phil Rogers had this above quote recently. Doesn't it get extremely hot in Fremont? I was there once a few years ago and it was close to 110 degrees, although it was it was a dry heat...

DSpivack
10-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Phil Rogers had this above quote recently. Doesn't it get extremely hot in Fremont? I was there once a few years ago and it was close to 110 degrees, although it was it was a dry heat...

Warmer than Oakland, sure, but looking on weather.com the average high in the summer is usually around 78 degrees, while Oakland is around 73.

LITTLE NELL
10-28-2007, 10:25 AM
The A's owner today suggested the name will not be the Oakland A's.

The question of whether to rename the team also is in the air, although Wolff offered "Fremont A's" and "Silicon Valley A's" as possibilities.

http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_313003157.html

The Oakland Athletics have reached a deal with Cisco Systems Inc. to build a new high-tech ballpark in southern Fremont, according to city officials who met with the team's owner.

The agreement would create a 32,000- to 35,000-seat ballpark, dubbed Cisco Field, on a 143-acre parcel held by the company. If the plan is approved by the city, the A's could begin playing there as soon as 2011.
How about naming them the Cisco Kids and their mascot can be Poncho.

FarWestChicago
10-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Doesn't it get extremely hot in Fremont?No.

FedEx227
10-28-2007, 01:47 PM
It's like 30 minutes away... What type of extreme climate change can occur?

MisterB
10-28-2007, 03:09 PM

San Jose is usually around 10 degrees hotter (and appreciably dryer) then San Francisco, although in the summer it can be more like 15-20.

Frater Perdurabo
10-28-2007, 05:18 PM

When I was there in early July, the TV weather forecast gave three high temperatures each day: Coast, Bay and Inland. I don't know if this was an anomaly, but during that week, the Coast high was upper 60s. The Bay high was upper 70s. The Inland high was upper 90s.