PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Yankees to offer A-Rod $150 M for 5 year extension

Fenway
10-27-2007, 02:20 PM
:o::o:

The offer could be for something in the range of five years -- beyond the three years Rodriguez is already under contract for, from 2008-10 -- and perhaps $30 million a year. The highest per-workday salary earned to date is the $28 million Roger Clemens (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=3340) received, in prorated salary, for a little less than four months of work this season.

If the Yankees' extension offer is for something in the range of $150 million, over five years, then Rodriguez would be owed about $230 million over the next eight seasons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3082251

oeo
10-27-2007, 02:26 PM
I hope he turns them down and goes somewhere else for less (like here :wink:).

chisoxmike
10-27-2007, 03:30 PM
I hope he turns them down and goes somewhere else for less (like here :wink:).

I dont care what anyone says, the Sox would NEVER offer that kind of money to anybody. He ain't coming here.

Dickie Kerr
10-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Realistically, I can only see A-Rod playing for the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, or maybe Dodgers/Angels with that kind of salary.

oeo
10-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Realistically, I can only see A-Rod playing for the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, or maybe Dodgers/Angels with that kind of salary.

The Cubs have already spent a ****load of money on Soriano and Zambrano. I'd like to see them try to take on A-Rod too.

The Sox are more likely to sign him, IMO. They can make some moves to clear up some room on the payroll in order to sign him, without increasing it by a ton. That said, I don't think he's coming to Chicago, period.

HomeFish
10-27-2007, 04:09 PM
The Cubs have already spent a ****load of money on Soriano and Zambrano. I'd like to see them try to take on A-Rod too.

They don't exactly suffer from lack of money.

cws05champ
10-27-2007, 05:23 PM

And there was talk before of A-Rod getting part ownership of the Team from the new Ownership group...it may not be just about yearly salary.

StillMissOzzie
10-27-2007, 08:29 PM
And there was talk before of A-Rod getting part ownership of the Team from the new Ownership group...it may not be just about yearly salary.

I think that's still not permitted under the current CBA.

SMO
:gulp:

chaerulez
10-27-2007, 08:32 PM
With Boras as his agent, I really only see A-Rod opting out. Why settle for 8 years and 230 million when you can probably get more? I don't think 10 years 280 million is out of the question.

DickAllen72
10-27-2007, 09:35 PM
With Boras as his agent, I really only see A-Rod opting out. Why settle for 8 years and 230 million when you can probably get more? I don't think 10 years 280 million is out of the question.
If he opts out, the Sox should offer him 10 years at $300M and see if he takes it.

Brian26
10-27-2007, 11:17 PM

I think that's still not permitted under the current CBA.

It's not, but don't let that stop someone from hearing an asinine rumor on WSCR and assuming it to be fact.

gogosox16
10-27-2007, 11:20 PM
So Say A-Rod is gone now, thats means the sox can focus on signing Torri Hunter.

LongLiveFisk
10-27-2007, 11:22 PM

Just a lack of smarts.

chaerulez
10-28-2007, 07:46 PM
If he opts out, the Sox should offer him 10 years at $300M and see if he takes it.

If the team wants to bump it's payroll to $125 million, I would be willing to do it. I don't like A-Rod as a person. But I'd like to see him in a White Sox uniform. With A-Rod + Hunter and a decent bullpen, I would say the Sox then become the team to beat in the AL Central. Imagine a middle of the order lineup of A-Rod-Thome-PK-Dye-Hunter. When your potential 8-9 hitters are AJ and Crede, it's a pretty strong lineup.

DSpivack
10-28-2007, 10:15 PM
SI reporting he will opt out.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/specials/playoffs/2007/10/28/rodriguez.contract/index.html

chisoxmike
10-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Imagine a middle of the order lineup of A-Rod-Thome-PK-Dye-Hunter. When your potential 8-9 hitters are AJ and Crede, it's a pretty strong lineup.

Wouldn't mean a thing if they don't get a strong rotation and bullpen.

chaerulez
10-28-2007, 10:55 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/specials/playoffs/2007/10/28/rodriguez.contract/index.html

Should be no surprise to anyone. He's a Boras client. Let the bidding begin.

cbotnyse
10-28-2007, 10:57 PM
which teams can afford him?

ilsox7
10-28-2007, 10:58 PM
which teams can afford him?

I heard the Sox are offering him the Sears Tower to sign here.

cbotnyse
10-28-2007, 11:04 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat.

chisoxmike
10-28-2007, 11:06 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I would too.

RKMeibalane
10-28-2007, 11:12 PM
These are the teams I keep hearing mentioned in the A-Rod bidding war:

Angels
Cubs
Dodgers
Red Sox
White Sox

There are also a few "sleeper" teams, such as the Phillies, but I don't think those rumors should be taken seriously.

DickAllen72
10-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Well, they're reporting on the World Series telecast that Boras has announced A-Rod is opting out.

The Sox should offer him $300M for ten years. He'd give the Sox a legitimate number three hitter and would fill a hole at SS or 3B if Crede can't hack it and Fields doesn't improve his defense drastically.

I'd hate to see him on the Red Sox or Cubs, or anyone in the AL Central other than the Sox.

DeadMoney
10-28-2007, 11:19 PM
This new news makes the Texas Rangers very, very happy.

upperdeckusc
10-28-2007, 11:24 PM
This new news makes the Texas Rangers very, very happy.

exactly. im not 100% sure if it'll happen, but i can definitely see the rangers going on a cubs-like spending spree this offseason with that money off the books (plus money saved from dumping gagne and teixeira). torii hunter lives like 30 mins from the stadium. i think they are front runners to get him. maybe even make a run at bonds.

DSpivack
10-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Well, they're reporting on the World Series telecast that Boras has announced A-Rod is opting out.

The Sox should offer him $300M for ten years. He'd give the Sox a legitimate number three hitter and would fill a hole at SS or 3B if Crede can't hack it and Fields doesn't improve his defense drastically.

I'd hate to see him on the Red Sox or Cubs, or anyone in the AL Central other than the Sox.

I don't think anyone else can afford him. I'm not so sure the Sox can, though I'd love it if they could.

DSpivack
10-28-2007, 11:26 PM
exactly. im not 100% sure if it'll happen, but i can definitely see the rangers going on a cubs-like spending spree this offseason with that money off the books (plus money saved from dumping gagne and teixeira). torii hunter lives like 30 mins from the stadium. i think they are front runners to get him. maybe even make a run at bonds.'

It saved them $21 million.

DeadMoney
10-28-2007, 11:26 PM
exactly. im not 100% sure if it'll happen, but i can definitely see the rangers going on a cubs-like spending spree this offseason with that money off the books (plus money saved from dumping gagne and teixeira). torii hunter lives like 30 mins from the stadium. i think they are front runners to get him. maybe even make a run at bonds.

Well, they now have some money to go after pitching. Although, the names available aren't that great. Does anyone think Bonds is a possibility in Texas? They did give Sosa a chance.

RKMeibalane
10-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Well, they now have some money to go after pitching. Although, the names available aren't that great. Does anyone think Bonds is a possibility in Texas? They did give Sosa a chance.

Oakland is probably the best fit for Bonds, given that Piazza didn't work out, and that there aren't too many teams willing to take a risk on an ogre.

DeadMoney
10-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Oakland is probably the best fit for Bonds, given that Piazza didn't work out, and that there aren't too many teams willing to take a risk on an ogre.

This is getting away from the A-Rod topic, but I just don't see Oakland having the money to make that deal happen. Also, Texas would probably be willing to keep him away from another team in the division, and with in the increased amount of money opened up by this A-Rod opt out, it's certainly a possibility in my mind.

Getting back to the A-Rod thing though. I hate Bor-ass; I hate A-Rod (unless by some miracle, he ends up with the Sox). Nice timing on this 'announcement' to the both of them!

ND_Sox_Fan
10-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Well - from a purely business perspective, I think the Sox have to take a run at him. From a fan base, revenue, cash flow stand point, they need to take back the "swing fans" from the Cubs. The Sox also need to take an overtly public run at him while season ticket renewals are out there. Because of the size of contract that we are talking about here, this really has to be a business and cash flow decision. The average MLB contract of $4-5 million can be considered hobby money for most owners, but this kind of change is going to come down to business decisions.

There is no question the value he adds from a baseball standpoint, so the question becomes - can his play generate the cash flow necessary to pay him?

DickAllen72
10-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Well - from a purely business perspective, I think the Sox have to take a run at him. From a fan base, revenue, cash flow stand point, they need to take back the "swing fans" from the Cubs. The Sox also need to take an overtly public run at him while season ticket renewals are out there. Because of the size of contract that we are talking about here, this really has to be a business and cash flow decision. The average MLB contract of $4-5 million can be considered hobby money for most owners, but this kind of change is going to come down to business decisions.

There is no question the value he adds from a baseball standpoint, so the question becomes - can his play generate the cash flow necessary to pay him?
The Sox should try secure him for ten years. It will pay off when he is setting all-time records playing in Cellular Field. By the time he's breaking Bond's record, $30M will be a bargain.

The only risk is if he suffers a major injury, but sometimes you have to take a gamble if you want to win big.

ND_Sox_Fan
10-29-2007, 12:19 AM
The Sox should try secure him for ten years. It will pay off when he is setting all-time records playing in Cellular Field. By the time he's breaking Bond's record, $30M will be a bargain.

The only risk is if he suffers a major injury, but sometimes you have to take a gamble if you want to win big.

Given his history with zero major injuries, I wonder what size of an insurance policy teams can get on him? If it is close enough to his salary, I don't see a downside risk to making this offer.

Nellie_Fox
10-29-2007, 01:16 AM
The Sox should try secure him for ten years. It will pay off when he is setting all-time records playing in Cellular Field. By the time he's breaking Bond's record, $30M will be a bargain.And what if he wants another "opt out" clause for just this very reason? Would you still want him?

DickAllen72
10-29-2007, 01:06 PM
And what if he wants another "opt out" clause for just this very reason? Would you still want him?
No. Offer him $30M for ten years, period. Take it or leave it.

Talks would probably break down over some dispute over no-trade clause anyway. I say give him a limited no-trade.

Lip Man 1
10-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Would I take Alex on the Sox? Of course, he's a great player.

Do I think it will happen or even come close to happening? Of course not.

Unless you put the pieces around him, even signing Rodriguez doesn't guarantee a thing. This team has needs... a LOT of them and I can't see the financial committment needed to sign Alex AND fill all the other holes.

That's not even getting into the relationship or lack of one between the Sox and his agent.

I just can't see this.

Lip

tebman
10-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Would I take Alex on the Sox? Of course, he's a great player.

Do I think it will happen or even come close to happening? Of course not.

Unless you put the pieces around him, even signing Rodriguez doesn't guarantee a thing. This team has needs... a LOT of them and I can't see the financial committment needed to sign Alex AND fill all the other holes.

That's not even getting into the relationship or lack of one between the Sox and his agent.

I just can't see this.

Lip

:yup:

Rodriguez isn't coming here. This whole beef auction is just more performance art by Boras. He'll get a huge offer for sure, but it won't be from the White Sox for all the reasons Lip summarized so neatly.

Cubs? I doubt it...new owner uncertainty, etc.
Yankees? Maybe...they've changed their minds before (see: Martin, Billy)
Angels? A good bet.

I think the other teams are all dark horses in this race. But I always lose when I gamble, so I'm not picking one. :tongue: