PDA

View Full Version : Uribe

veeter
10-26-2007, 07:41 PM
I just watched game three of the greatest ALDS ever, from the DVD set my lovely wife gave me for my 40th birthday. I noticed right away how much lighter Juan was. If he can get back there, weight wise, I would be o.k. with him at short again. If he chooses to stay fat, move on. But a svelte Uribe, I feel would be more energetic and versatile. Way back in 2005 IIRC, Juan could bunt very well. He laid down a great squeeze scoring AJ in THAT game, as a matter of fact. Am I just reliving the glory days? Thoughts, please. Be kind, I'm old now.

oeo
10-26-2007, 07:54 PM
I just watched game three of the greatest ALDS ever, from the DVD set my lovely wife gave me for my 40th birthday. I noticed right away how much lighter Juan was. If he can get back there, weight wise, I would be o.k. with him at short again. If he chooses to stay fat, move on. But a svelte Uribe, I feel would be more energetic and versatile. Way back in 2005 IIRC, Juan could bunt very well. He laid down a great squeeze scoring AJ in THAT game, as a matter of fact. Am I just reliving the glory days? Thoughts, please. Be kind, I'm old now.

Take a look at everyone else on the team, they were all thinner. The differences between Dye and Crede are astonishing; either they really built up in the last couple of years, or they've been gaining weight. Most likely the latter.

Uribe shouldn't be back because he's never reached that offensive potential that he was supposed. He gets lazy in the field, too. We need a change there.

Lip Man 1
10-26-2007, 08:41 PM
That's part of what has been so frustrating the past two years. How can a guy be able to bunt or hit and run in 2005, then he can't do it to save his soul in 2006 or 2007?

Lip

oeo
10-26-2007, 09:12 PM
That's part of what has been so frustrating the past two years. How can a guy be able to bunt or hit and run in 2005, then he can't do it to save his soul in 2006 or 2007?

Lip

Was Uribe ever very good at it, though? He laid down some bunts this year, too. More times than not, he doesn't get the job done, though.

Hendu
10-26-2007, 09:21 PM

Lip

I'm more frustrated with his defensive decline. That was one of his huge strengths pre-2006, but then he got lazy and tried to make up for it with his arm. If you're not going to help the team offensively, at least work your butt off on defense.

palehozenychicty
10-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Uribe is finished. People expecting more out of him are going to be waiting for quite awhile. He has been given enough opportunities to become a player, and he hasn't done it. Sadly, he may be back. :(:

eriqjaffe
10-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Uribe is finished. People expecting more out of him are going to be waiting for quite awhile. He has been given enough opportunities to become a player, and he hasn't done it. Sadly, he may be back. :(:Hopefully as part of the Sox Pride Crew, shooting t-shirts out of bazookas.

QCIASOXFAN
10-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Take a look at everyone else on the team, they were all thinner. The differences between Dye and Crede are astonishing; either they really built up in the last couple of years, or they've been gaining weight. Most likely the latter.

Uribe shouldn't be back because he's never reached that offensive potential that he was supposed. He gets lazy in the field, too. We need a change there.
Those are some great points you brought up about on Crede and Dye as well as the majority of the team. They all have looked bigger and slower since then. I think that is part of the problem with the middle of our order, they are all big slow power hitters. Since the first pitch of 2006. I can't stomach another Thome, Konerko, Dye, Crede and AJ hitting 3-7 in this lineup. Then you go Uribe ar 8 or 9. I mean I love all these ****ing guys but something has to change.

Domeshot17
10-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Those are some great points you brought up about on Crede and Dye as well as the majority of the team. They all have looked bigger and slower since then. I think that is part of the problem with the middle of our order, they are all big slow power hitters. Since the first pitch of 2006. I can't stomach another Thome, Konerko, Dye, Crede and AJ hitting 3-7 in this lineup. Then you go Uribe ar 8 or 9. I mean I love all these ****ing guys but something has to change.

Agreed to an extent. Who has a fast 3456? The speed comes from maybe 7 8 9 1 and 2. If you have sluggers 3-7 its fine but you need fundamental hitters at 1 2 8 and 9. Another option would be change the pace and hit someone like Fields 7 who is athletic and fast and go Crede 8.

QCIASOXFAN
10-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Agreed to an extent. Who has a fast 3456? The speed comes from maybe 7 8 9 1 and 2. If you have sluggers 3-7 its fine but you need fundamental hitters at 1 2 8 and 9. Another option would be change the pace and hit someone like Fields 7 who is athletic and fast and go Crede 8.
I think it's a good idea but feel like it would result in the same ole song and dance.:(:

Grzegorz
10-27-2007, 05:07 AM
But a svelte Uribe, I feel would be more energetic and versatile. Way back in 2005 IIRC, Juan could bunt very well. He laid down a great squeeze scoring AJ in THAT game, as a matter of fact. Am I just reliving the glory days? Thoughts, please. Be kind, I'm old now.

Forget it; there is no indication that:
A) He'll come in camp in shape and continue to work at his conditioning during the year
B) That he'll suddenly bloom into a disciplined, fundamentally sound hitter
C) He'll play a consistently sound @ SS: he relied on his arm more than being technically correct

Thank you for your service, but it is time to move on...

DickAllen72
10-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Thank you for your service, but it is time to move on...
All I know is the Sox better have an upgrade over Uribe signed, sealed and delivered before they decline his option or they'll be in much worse shape than now.

I f they can work out a deal for a Renteria or a Furcal or something like that, then fine let Uribe walk. But it would be foolish to decline his option before the deal is done, because then they are left with absolutely no viable option at SS and will be raped in any deal they attempt to make for one.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox and Uribe renegotiate and work out something like a three year / nine million dollar extension. At that price you can either trade him, start him if you can't make a deal for an upgrade, or keep him around as a super sub to cover all the infield positions.

AJ Hellraiser
10-27-2007, 01:33 PM

That's so true... I was just watching the World Series DVD yesterday as I celebrated the 2-year anniversary and that was the first thing I noticed...

cws05champ
10-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Was Uribe ever very good at it, though? He laid down some bunts this year, too. More times than not, he doesn't get the job done, though.

IIRC I beleive Uribe lead the team in sac flies and sac bunts in 2005. I may be wrong, but he seemed to be a completely different player post World Series.