PDA

View Full Version : Prior and Wood to be reunited with Dusty??

WizardsofOzzie
10-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Whether it's simply to catch up on the past or plot for the future, new Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker has been chatting with his former Cubs co-aces, Mark Prior and Kerry Wood. ''I talked to Mark Prior [Wednesday], and I've heard from Woody and some other guys,'' said Baker, who will turn his focus to managing the Reds once his current gig as an ESPN analyst ends after the World Series.
Both pitchers could become free agents this offseason, and the Reds are starved for pitching.Just a theory, but god would I laugh my ass off if it happened. Between those 2 clowns and Griffey Jr., they'd need their own ER in the park :rolling:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/621833,CST-SPT-dusty26.article

Domeshot17
10-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Im going to get ripped for this, but if the price is right, I would take a flier on Prior. His career as a starter may be done, but as a set up guy, he might just be awesome.

cws05champ
10-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Im going to get ripped for this, but if the price is right, I would take a flier on Prior. His career as a starter may be done, but as a set up guy, he might just be awesome.

I don't you would get ripped at all. IF...always the big IF, Prior can get healthy, he could be a dominant starter again. I know Williams likes Prior, but I think someone else will offer him more, or he will go to the West coast.

munchman33
10-26-2007, 05:13 PM
I think the ultimate insult could be had if Prior and Wood sign with Dusty in Cincinatti, pitch injury free, Cy Young caliber seasons in leading the Reds to the World Series. I'll be rooting for that.

Too bad they won't finish it all. Losing to the White Sox in four games. :cool:

The Immigrant
10-26-2007, 05:27 PM
I would take a chance on either of them for the right price.

veeter
10-26-2007, 07:26 PM
I would take a chance on either of them for the right price.Wood for sure, because he's a warrior. He fights to get back on the mound. The other guy is an arrogant ass.

doublem23
10-26-2007, 08:04 PM

For sure, but even if the price would be right (which I doubt it would), I have to believe that they will land somewhere with thinner starting pitching so they have a chance to break into the rotation.

Hendu
10-26-2007, 08:54 PM
I would take a chance on either of them for the right price.

Absolutely. A Wade Miller-type contract could pay dividends, and wouldn't be much of a risk.

Boondock Saint
10-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Absolutely. A Wade Miller-type contract could pay dividends, and wouldn't be much of a risk.

I get the idea behind taking a shot at one of them, but what happens to a guy like Danks' mind when we have to send him back down to the minors to give a guy like Prior or Wood a shot, only to have him come right back up when Prior/Wood gets hurt again?

Now I can see a situation that could keep this from happening, where you send Contreras to the 'pen, and give the starting vacancy to Prior/Wood, but even then, I think that could be even more risky, as an injury hurts both your pen and rotation when you have to move Jose back to the rotation. Maybe it's just best if we let them be someone else's headache...

Hendu
10-26-2007, 10:03 PM
I get the idea behind taking a shot at one of them, but what happens to a guy like Danks' mind when we have to send him back down to the minors to give a guy like Prior or Wood a shot, only to have him come right back up when Prior/Wood gets hurt again?

Now I can see a situation that could keep this from happening, where you send Contreras to the 'pen, and give the starting vacancy to Prior/Wood, but even then, I think that could be even more risky, as an injury hurts both your pen and rotation when you have to move Jose back to the rotation. Maybe it's just best if we let them be someone else's headache...

My thinking behind it you can never have enough starting pitching. We've been unbelievably lucky that our rotation has stayed relatively healthy for the past few years. Jose will probably be on the DL again at some point next year. Also, if one of Prior or Wood works out, it gives us more flexibility at the trading deadline.

If it's a short-term incentive-laden contract to get a former ace, then you have to consider it.

DumpJerry
10-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Dusty is off to a great start. He's already setting himself up for a tampering allegation.

Idiot.

fquaye149
10-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Wood for sure, because he's a warrior. He fights to get back on the mound. The other guy is an arrogant ass.

so wood's the humble one?:?:

Martinigirl
10-27-2007, 03:14 PM
I think the ultimate insult could be had if Prior and Wood sign with Dusty in Cincinatti, pitch injury free, Cy Young caliber seasons in leading the Reds to the World Series. I'll be rooting for that.

Too bad they won't finish it all. Losing to the White Sox in four games. :cool:

It would be a bigger insult if either one did it of the Sox.

And I would take Prior. I think most of his issues are in his head and if he isn't viewed by the team and their fans as the be all and end all, he might actually do well.

DrCrawdad
10-28-2007, 07:03 AM
Dusty is off to a great start. He's already setting himself up for a tampering allegation.

Idiot.

I just read the article. I didn't see anything that could possibly be considered tampering. Dusty said he's spoke to Prior and several Cubbie players, but he did not say that Prior could head over to the Reds. The thought that Prior and Wood could be headed to the Reds was speculation by the Sun-Times writer, Chris De Luca.

chaerulez
10-28-2007, 06:51 PM
The thing about Prior though, word is he is soft. People in the Cubs organization don't think he was as hurt as he claimed to be. That he just wouldn't pitch through normal pain that pitchers go through. I would still offer him a low risk contract if that's possible because he has a lot of potential, but it's potential that probably won't be reached.