PDA

View Full Version : Boras Profile in New Yorker Magazine

tebman
10-26-2007, 11:36 AM
The 10/29 issue of The New Yorker has a long feature story about everybody's favorite agent, Scott Boras.

If you don't want to buy the magazine you can read it at the link. Set aside some time, though -- it's a lo-o-o-ng article.

Appropriately, it's titled "The Extortionist."

Link-O-Matic (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/29/071029fa_fact_mcgrath)

FielderJones
10-26-2007, 04:21 PM
The enemy of my enemy is my friend? :?:But Boras (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/29/071029fa_fact_mcgrath?currentPage=5), who says, “I don’t play cards,” is generally dismissive of all so-called insider accounts of baseball business dealings, and he slammed Michael Lewis’s best-selling “Moneyball,” about Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A’s, for being “not quite as factual as we would like it to be.”

FarWestChicago
10-27-2007, 08:35 AM
The enemy of my enemy is my friend? :?:But Boras (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/29/071029fa_fact_mcgrath?currentPage=5), who says, “I don’t play cards,” is generally dismissive of all so-called insider accounts of baseball business dealings, and he slammed Michael Lewis’s best-selling “Moneyball,” about Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A’s, for being “not quite as factual as we would like it to be.”

:fobbgod: :borass:

There isn't enough room on Earth, much less in baseball, for both of our egos!

Fenway
10-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Boras has to be rooting hard for the Rockies to win. I can not see Boston making a play for A-Rod if they win the series.

Gregory Pratt
10-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Why don't you like Moneyball? I'm no fan of Sabermetrics but I definitely believe it a good book and Beane's definitely a great GM.

Gregory Pratt
10-27-2007, 04:10 PM
“The eradication of steroids is, frankly, not that noticeable.”

Someone help me out here -- does he have any clients who are known steroid users?

Even if he doesn't, I think we all know that at least a few of his clients are juicers. I personally believe his biggest client is a juicer -- just a hunch based on size, numbers and youth -- but besides that, I resent his sanctiomony.

guillen4life13
10-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Someone help me out here -- does he have any clients who are known steroid users?

Even if he doesn't, I think we all know that at least a few of his clients are juicers. I personally believe his biggest client is a juicer -- just a hunch based on size, numbers and youth -- but besides that, I resent his sanctiomony.

So... essentially because he was really good, really young, and a larger than average SS, he's a juicer? I mean... come on!

To me, the telltale signs of juicing are an abnormal change in body and head size (see Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, etc) and an abnormal, unexplainable change in production. A-Rod has been incredible since he was 20 years old. His hitting mechanics are spot on, he has excellent natural reflexes, and he's on the stronger side. He's one of the leaner power hitters out there.

Pretty much, I think your belief that Rodriguez is a juicer is completely based on a hunch, and you're just faulting him for being as good as he is. Why don't you just accept that he's bloody talented and a very hard worker?

Gregory Pratt
10-27-2007, 04:30 PM
So... essentially because he was really good, really young, and a larger than average SS, he's a juicer? I mean... come on!

To me, the telltale signs of juicing are an abnormal change in body and head size (see Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, etc) and an abnormal, unexplainable change in production. A-Rod has been incredible since he was 20 years old. His hitting mechanics are spot on, he has excellent natural reflexes, and he's on the stronger side. He's one of the leaner power hitters out there.

Pretty much, I think your belief that Rodriguez is a juicer is completely based on a hunch, and you're just faulting him for being as good as he is. Why don't you just accept that he's bloody talented and a very hard worker?

No, that's not why Rodriguez is a juicer. At least, not all of it, but I'm not going to get into it. People are far too willing to believe that their favorite players aren't users, or that no one other than the evil Sosa, McGwire and Bonds are juicing. But if you want a better idea why I think Rodriguez is a juicer, check out Canseco's comments on the radio and make an inference. There's step one.

Oh, and about steroids/Boras: Gary Sheffield. That's a big part of why I admire John Schuerholz: no, we're not going to buy your bull, farewell Andruw. Same with Boston and Damon (shame on Boston with Matsuzaka, Drew). None of Boras' players beyond prospects are worth the higher end salaries he demands, and that's about the long and short of it.

guillen4life13
10-27-2007, 09:24 PM
No, that's not why Rodriguez is a juicer. At least, not all of it, but I'm not going to get into it. People are far too willing to believe that their favorite players aren't users, or that no one other than the evil Sosa, McGwire and Bonds are juicing. But if you want a better idea why I think Rodriguez is a juicer, check out Canseco's comments on the radio and make an inference. There's step one.

Oh, and about steroids/Boras: Gary Sheffield. That's a big part of why I admire John Schuerholz: no, we're not going to buy your bull, farewell Andruw. Same with Boston and Damon (shame on Boston with Matsuzaka, Drew). None of Boras' players beyond prospects are worth the higher end salaries he demands, and that's about the long and short of it.

Rodriguez isn't my favorite player, but I don't think anyone can really deny that he is the best position player out there today in terms of all around play. He can steal 20+ bases. He'll hit between 35-55 HR. And if he's the same defensive SS he was before moving to 3B, he's a top caliber fielding SS. Unless he gets injured, he will break the HR record. He hits for decent average. I don't know what more you would want.

I'll give Canseco credit by saying that so far, what he has said/written has been quite reliable, however I think that in Rodriguez' case, there is not yet any other evidence to imply that A-Rod is juiced. He could be juiced, but from my vantage, it seems highly unlikely.

Since 1994, A-Rod has gained roughly 40 lbs. It's a considerable amount, but it's also reasonable for a 19 year old to be considerably smaller than a 29 year old, thus, to me, his weight gain does not seem horribly abnormal.

Time will tell, but as of now, Canseco is the only thing linking A-Rod and steroids. There's no other suspicious activity going on. He isn't linked to Greg Anderson or BALCO (yet), or any other lab that has been implicated in these proceedings. It's just hard to believe that this guy is involved in these types of things given that from his first full season in the majors, he has been an impact player. And he was 20 at that point. Agewise, he should be in his prime now. Not so surprisingly, his production has never been better.

Again, time will tell. I just think it's a little early to have the mindset you've displayed. However, you could be right (though I still highly doubt it), so who am I to say anything?