PDA

View Full Version : 3 hours 39 minutes

ohiosoxfan
10-26-2007, 09:04 AM
How you possibly play a 2-1 game that included a total of 11 hits and didn't include playing the bottom of the ninth in 3 hours and 39 minutes???

It was a great game, but it would have been a better game in 2 hours and 39 minutes. I don't think you could TRY to play a 2-1 game in 3:39 if you tried to extend it that long.

chisoxmike
10-26-2007, 09:38 AM
:?:

Fenway
10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
How you possibly play a 2-1 game that included a total of 11 hits and didn't include playing the bottom of the ninth in 3 hours and 39 minutes???

It was a great game, but it would have been a better game in 2 hours and 39 minutes. I don't think you could TRY to play a 2-1 game in 3:39 if you tried to extend it that long.

Being there it felt like 6 hours and 39 minutes as it was a damp harbor cold.

Longer commercial breaks is one reason.....and Schilling does take his time.

twentywontowin
10-26-2007, 09:51 AM
It's not only that game, it seems like EVERY "premier" Red Sox game takes longer than three hours for nine innings. Specifically Red Sox/Yankees games.

chisoxmike
10-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Playoff games are longer in general.

Iwritecode
10-26-2007, 09:58 AM
I remember one playoff game that involved the Red Sox where the 6th inning alone lasted about an hour. Boston only scored a single run that inning... :cool:

Fenway
10-26-2007, 10:11 AM
It's not only that game, it seems like EVERY "premier" Red Sox game takes longer than three hours for nine innings. Specifically Red Sox/Yankees games.
They had a 9 inning game last year that almost lasted FIVE hours.

SOXPHILE
10-26-2007, 10:21 AM
5 minutes of commercial break bettween every half inning to promote JAILBREAK-24-WHATEVER THE LATEST "REALITY" SHOW is one reason. A 9 inning game that does not have a bottom of the 9th gives you at least 16 commercial breaks. That's 80 minutes of commmercials.

manders_01
10-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Although I was on pins and needles due to the score, I thought last night's game was fairly boring and long.

Huisj
10-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Things were taking so long between pitches that for a little while in the game I was able to flip back and forth between Fox and ESPN and see almost every pitch of the game and every play in Boston College's big 4th quarter comeback against VT. It seemed like every pitcher was worked extra slow for a while.

Hokiesox
10-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Things were taking so long between pitches that for a little while in the game I was able to flip back and forth between Fox and ESPN and see almost every pitch of the game and every play in Boston College's big 4th quarter comeback against VT. It seemed like every pitcher was worked extra slow for a while.

What was up with the in-game Taco Bell promo/commercial during the sixth inning? I've never been more pissed off at Fox for shameless corporate commercials DURING A GAME than I was with that.

JB98
10-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Although I was on pins and needles due to the score, I thought last night's game was fairly boring and long.

I also struggled to maintain interest despite the close score. It just takes forever to play these games. Baseball needs to do something. Close to four hours for a nine-inning game is ridiculous. Most of America doesn't stay up long enough to watch.

oeo
10-26-2007, 01:52 PM
They had a 9 inning game last year that almost lasted FIVE hours.

Only one? I thought Red Sox/Yankees games averaged five hours.

thomas35forever
10-26-2007, 04:10 PM
It seems like almost EVERY Red Sox night game goes past midnight local time. It's just ridiculous. I couldn't bear living in Boston and watching my team play into the wee hours of the morning night after night.

soxinem1
10-29-2007, 05:30 PM
I remember Britt Burns and Carlton Fisk once working a game that took about 3 1/2 hours, and the White Sox won like 1-0.

Hey, for what tickets cost, especially playoff ones, I sure wouldn't complain.

jortafan
10-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Hey, for what tickets cost, especially playoff ones, I sure wouldn't complain.

Sorry to disagree, but for what tickets cost, especially playoff ones, that's all the more reason for people TO complain.

Games that drag that slowly are nothing more than bad baseball. People have a right to expect better come the World Series. For a game to last that long, it ought to be some sort of extra-inning affair like Game 3 of the '05 World Series.

But I realize it's the pacing set by the network television broadcasts that manages to drag these games out and keep them from taking place at an entertaining pace.

By the way, does anyone remember how long time-wise the '05 World Series game started by Mark Buehrle lasted? I suspect Fox could turn a Buehrle start into a marathon.