PDA

View Full Version : Hunter-Twins Talks Stalled

soxfanreggie
10-25-2007, 10:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3078990

Looks like Hunter may be similar to MB and want a guarantee that a competitive team be fielded. I would love production like that in our CF, but I wouldn't mind if it leaves the AL Central no matter who gets him.

Looking at his production, I can't see him getting less than 4 and $50 mil. Currently, he is making $12 mil a year. Maybe he's willing to take a little less if he knows he's going to a better suited team to get him a ring.

Brian26
10-25-2007, 11:20 PM
It'll be interesting to see where Hunter lands. I still only see him coming to Chicago if the Sox trade Konerko's contract before the season.

gogosox16
10-25-2007, 11:20 PM
he'll ask for 5/70 at least....i would love to have him but not for that cost.

jabrch
10-26-2007, 10:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3078990

I would love production like that in our CF,

.271/.324/.469 on his career - you'd love that kind of production?

I wouldn't give him 1/2 of what he want, much less all of it.

Torii Hunter will end up the single most overpriced FA this offseason. He had his best offensive season in 5 years in his contract year - imagine that. He played over 150 games for only the second time in his 11 seasons in his contract year - imagine that.

I'd love to see the Twins give Hunter 5/75 - it will be the nail in the coffin to any discussion about Santana staying in Minny.

Torii Hunter may well be the most overrated player in all of baseball if you look at him over a 5 year period.

palehozenychicty
10-26-2007, 11:01 AM
I like him as a player, but his worth obviously comes into question. That being said, as everyone wants/expects the Sox to rebound next year, you almost have to look into the possibility. They need a solid CF, and he is that.

sox1970
10-26-2007, 11:28 AM
He'll be on the Rangers. He'll use the Sox and other teams as leverage.

Nellie_Fox
10-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I'd love to see the Twins give Hunter 5/75 - it will be the nail in the coffin to any discussion about Santana staying in Minny.Actually, Santana has made it pretty clear that if Hunter goes, Santana goes.

jabrch
10-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Actually, Santana has made it pretty clear that if Hunter goes, Santana goes.

And I don't blame him. But if Hunter stays, they won't have the $ to pay Santana - so he's gone either way unless he is willing to take nearly 1/2 of what he'd get on the open market. Nathan is a definite goner if they keep Hunter/Santana and as Morneu gets close to arbitration, he will get more expensive as well.

Minny raised their payroll last offseason from 63 to 71mm. They are up by almost 50% from 2 years ago.

I'm less worried about the Twins in the next two years than I have been in the past few years.